Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Gaunab posted:

Back in the mid 2000's if a movie showed some kind of montage for an underdog protagonist you can bet this was the song played. I didn't like it to begin with but after it's overuse made me hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvr08sCPOc

I don't want to be "that goon" but I have never heard this song till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Celery Face posted:

Every single lovely 2000's movie involving dogs would have the "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yay bow wow yippie yo yippie yay" part from Atomic Dog (which I recently learned isn't a rap song even though it has been sampled a billion times) in the trailer.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Here's a post I made in a TVIV thread about annoying commercials that hits all the right marks for you two:

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I could go back and time and erase any two songs from existence, I might have to choose "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton and the P.gently caress, and "Who let the Dogs Out?" by the Baja Men.

:v:"Oh, hey, there is a dog and/or dogs in this movie...we need a song to play over the trailer to remind people of said dogs, even though the word 'Dog' or 'Dogs' is probably in the title of the movie. What song do we use?"

:haw:"Well...there's a song about letting dogs out...we'll have to play that over a scene of the dog and or dogs running, ideally after they have been :airquote: let out :airquote: of a room, car, back of a truck, etc..."

:v:"Great! Put it in there! Oh, and we should also play that one line of a song that goes "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yo" over scenes of the dog and/or dogs just generally being "goofy" and doing things one would not expect a dog and/or dogs to do."

KoB
May 1, 2009

Darth Freddy posted:

I am also that goon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Darth Freddy posted:

KoB posted:

I am also that goon.

Nahh, it's honestly cool, it's never been used in an actual good movie, so if you saw the trailer for something and went "that looks like a piece of poo poo I'm not watching it" you probably self-selected for never hearing that song. Perfectly reasonable.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm sorry guys, but no song was more over exposed on movie soundtracks during the early 00's than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm sorry guys, but no song was more over exposed on movie soundtracks during the early 00's than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

CJacobs posted:

Same here. Also Shrek was the only movie I saw that had :douche: in it at all so I don't recognize that complaint either.

Mystery Men was in the fuckin' music video for some smush mouth eat the eggs video.

...case in point.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How bout the brick wall of an ending to Rat Race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBMoLmrjNw

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Back in the mid 2000's if a movie showed some kind of montage for an underdog protagonist you can bet this was the song played. I didn't like it to begin with but after it's overuse made me hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvr08sCPOc

Wikipedia posted:

Appearance in media[edit]
The song has been used extensively in the media, and played at many stadiums and arenas throughout the United States, including several colleges. The National Basketball Association used "Remember the Name" as the theme song for the 2006 and 2007 NBA Playoffs as well as the 2008 NBA Draft. The song is also featured on the soundtrack of the EA Sports video game NBA Live 06.

The song was also used in episode 12 of Season 2 of CBS's Numb3rs "The OG".

The song is also featured in promotional TV trailers for the 2006 movie, Gridiron Gang, NBC's 2006 series, Friday Night Lights, and Pride, directed by Sunu Gonera, as well as the trailer for Fighting and the trailer for the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid.

The song has also been featured in the TV commercial for the 50th Grammy Awards in 2008.

On March 19, 2011 UFC premiered the trailer for UFC 129 with "Remember The Name" being featured.[3]

In October 2012 BBC One used the opening chorus of "Remember The Name" to advertise a Shinty Cup match.

The song was also featured in the 2013 movie The Smurfs 2.[4]

Smurfs 2 :psyduck:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Something that bothered me in Before I Go To Sleep:
Shortly after we find out that "Ben" is actually Mike, the baddy, he's sitting in his car and ignoring a whole load of missed calls from Claire. But why would Claire have his phone number? She doesn't even know who he is, she's been talking to the real Ben this whole time. I thought it might be Christine's phone that Mike's confiscated, but we haven't seen it until then, and Christine wouldn't have remembered she had it, and we always see her using the house phone instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

The National Basketball Association used "Remember the Name" as the theme song for the 2006 and 2007 NBA Playoffs as well as the 2008 NBA Draft.

Well that's just lazy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I noticed this in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but also in stuff like The Walking Dead, but why does everyone go out to fight zombies in just t-shirts/sleeveless shirts? In the kind of situation where blood contact can cause an infection, wouldn't you want like thick leather and eye protection?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I noticed this in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but also in stuff like The Walking Dead, but why does everyone go out to fight zombies in just t-shirts/sleeveless shirts? In the kind of situation where blood contact can cause an infection, wouldn't you want like thick leather and eye protection?

At least The Walking Dead has Glen run off to grab a riot suit when they find the prison.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Coffee And Pie posted:

Well in the Walking Dead universe Everyone is already infected, it's dying (to anything) that will cause you to turn into a zombie

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nerds will rule the world when chainmail and lab goggles stop you from becoming a zombie

In The Goon, we see him wobble on the ice in the beginning, we get the story that he broke his ankle, we watch the zoom in of the skate going into his ankle, we hear the crunch, but during the big confrontation, his dick hole friend still yells out, "He's got bad ankles!"
Thanks for spelling out for us, again. We're not as stupid as Doug, you can trust us to understand what is going on, we'll get it

In Silent Hill, why is the evil explained? Like I get it, but Silent Hill is supposed to be a mirror of the person in it, having the demon girl makes a little sense, but the nurses, the miners, the bugs, the spitting guy, pyramid head and the super industrial hellscape don't fit, those are James' demons, not whatsherface's

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I figure in The Walking Dead people don't really have a big wardrobe to choose from when they're on the run from the zombie apocalypse. Plus it's mostly set in Georgia where it's usually warm.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I figure in The Walking Dead people don't really have a big wardrobe to choose from when they're on the run from the zombie apocalypse. Plus it's mostly set in Georgia where it's usually warm.

Warm weather I can buy as an explanation, I guess, but isn't most of the world dead? They didn't exactly burn all their clothes before zombifying, any neighborhood would offer all the protective gear you would need.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

In Silent Hill, why is the evil explained? Like I get it, but Silent Hill is supposed to be a mirror of the person in it, having the demon girl makes a little sense, but the nurses, the miners, the bugs, the spitting guy, pyramid head and the super industrial hellscape don't fit, those are James' demons, not whatsherface's

That goes for all the more recent games too. It's because the people making it don't understand the source material i.e. Silent Hill 2

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Away all Goats posted:

Well in the Walking Dead universe Everyone is already infected, it's dying (to anything) that will cause you to turn into a zombie
And yet they still make a point of chopping limbs off people who get scratched or bitten to stop them getting infected.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I'd chalk that one up to them learning that info from Ben.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

And yet they still make a point of chopping limbs off people who get scratched or bitten to stop them getting infected.

Probably to prevent a fatal infection, zombies don't brush.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Shellman posted:

Mystery Men was in the fuckin' music video for some smush mouth eat the eggs video.

...case in point.

THey inserted clips from the movie so way to go I guess? Why such a hard-on for Mystery men?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Godzilla 2014... where do I even begin? Spoilers galore and gently caress putting tags around them.

* Technical ineptitude to advance the plot. I'm supposed to believe a guy who has been "digging holes for 30 years" didn't do any kind of seismic survey before loading the dig site with workers and huge machines? Those bones were like 100 feet under ground, that's just inexcusable.

* Slow-turn-to-look-at-what's-behind you. This has cropped up at least twice. If you know there's a dangerous, giant beast/ghost/serial killer, and you think it's right behind you waiting, is turning around slowly really going to make it not notice you've seen it? Just run away, moron.

* People standing extremely close to a dangerous area and staring. When the first MUTO emerges there are dozens of workers just standing like statues within spitting distance of it, even after it starts wrecking poo poo. Even after they see their buddies die! No human does this.

* Not understanding what the audience wants. They were still cock-teasing the monster an hour into the film. Finally, Godzilla appears! And it's going to fight the other monster, hooray! [cut to the next day] What the actual gently caress?

* Flying planes/choppers waaay too close to monsters. Come on guys you're supposed to be good at this, maybe don't fly directly at the big dangerous thing while shooting it from point blank range? I know this is down to video rendering/framing of shots but it just looks stupid.

* A different MUTO appears! Let's automatically assume this one is female despite the complete lack of any evidence. Why? Because! And let's not even attempt to evacuate Las Vegas, they'll figure it out once it gets there right?

* Moving nuclear warheads on an uncovered traincar without even a tarp or anything.

I'm like halfway through this stinker and I almost don't want to finish it but god drat it, I'm not a quitter.

Chard has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Sep 13, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Aggressive pricing posted:

Probably to prevent a fatal infection, zombies don't brush.

Yeah in TWD and the original Romero movies a zombie bite will always causes a fatal infection unless there is an immediate amputation. A bite is not required to be the cause of death to cause the zombification though.

Bippie Mishap posted:

THey inserted clips from the movie so way to go I guess? Why such a hard-on for Mystery men?

Cross promotion. They did this all the time back when people still watched videos on TV. The movie pays the budget for your lovely video and gets a commercial for their lovely movie movie airing on MTV constantly.

Lagomorphic has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Sep 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chard posted:

* Flying planes/choppers waaay too close to monsters. Come on guys you're supposed to be good at this, maybe don't fly directly at the big dangerous thing while shooting it from point blank range? I know this is down to video rendering/framing of shots but it just looks stupid.

I'm like halfway through this stinker and I almost don't want to finish it but god drat it, I'm not a quitter.

There's like 10 minutes of footage of Godzilla in the entire hour and a half long movie if you put all of it end to end.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Door Frame posted:

Silent Hill, initially, was created as a manifestation of Alessa's psychic abilities, when she went through intense pain and into a coma or something. The psycho-analytic stuff wasn't added until Silent Hill 2. So the backstory of the movie is actually spot on to the game. As to why it's explained so bluntly, that's because someone at some point decided that audiences are morons that wouldn't be able to understand a plot with even the hint of subtlety in it.

The miners weren't evil, they were the town's residents. Spitting guy is actually a monster from SH1 - bugs are new, but you could, I guess, chalk that up to a fear of bugs on Alessa's part. Nurses are there because she saw a fuckload of nurses in her coma or whatever - they're also a big part of SH1 (they're not supposed to be sexualized, though).

Pyramid Head was used because he's 'popular', except the people that make these decisions never realize that his place is entirely with James. Unfortunately, he's become some sort of weird mascot of the franchise by people who don't understand it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bugs aren't new, there were cockroach enemies in Silent Hill 1 and a larva/moth boss! The Silent Hill movie is unoriginal and terrible and insulting to the games on basically all fronts! :eng101:

The town's backstory was correctly played out in the movie and it's one of the only things they actually managed to get right, though. It's just too bad the rest of it was garbage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The town's backstory is boring and not what's interesting. It's better when it gets treated as an absolute like it was in SH2. It's about the people who come to Silent Hill rather than the town itself. The film didn't get that at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent Hill 1 was completely about that though, and the Silent Hill movie was supposed to be Silent Hill 1 The Movie. At least they didn't go in depth and explain the whole indian burial ground thing that gets brought up a few times during the series. They went as far back as Silent Hill 1 goes, but they didn't go back any further, and I'm thankful for that. :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chard posted:

Godzilla 2014

All this would have been forgivable if they didn't have the blandest main character in the history of cinema. He made the protagonist of Avatar seem lively.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

True enough, but Silent Hill was shithouse. Silent Hill 2 is the game that made the series and was the quintessential Silent Hill, which is why it was so dumb they made the film about the first game.

To add a bit of content. I watched Oldboy recently and it was great obviously. Just after Oh Dae Su is freed someone curses at him and he says "TV never taught me to swear" or something. TV is full of swears, it was just such a strange line.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Yeah, the movie did follow the first game fairly well, and could have been a good entry point for successive movies that got more into the psychology like SH2. Pyramid Head really shouldn't have been there, but that was a ploy to get fans of the series (many of whom got into it more with 2 than 1) invested. The SH3 game gave some indications that Pyramid Head was something more than just something out of James' psyche, but now he's become a mascot of the series and the concept is pretty ruined. The first movie was a mess from a story standpoint, but the visuals were great. The second is the bigger disaster, I think.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh, then I guess I'm just dumb. My only exposure to the series is 2, Homecoming, Downpour, the first movie and other people talking about it, so I might have a poor understanding of the series as a whole....

E: I stand by my comments about The Goon, though

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, then I guess I'm just dumb. My only exposure to the series is 2, Homecoming, Downpour, the first movie and other people talking about it, so I might have a poor understanding of the series as a whole....

E: I stand by my comments about The Goon, though

You're not really wrong, but 1 and 3 were very different from 2 (and the later ones were all very different from 1-3.) I won't nerd out about details because this isn't the thread for it. But yeah, they did get a lot of the mythology of Silent Hill wrong in the movie, but when is the last time you saw a movie based on a franchise with a small nerd fan base that was absolutely faithful to the source material and was successful?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Daredevil?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Hellboy?

EDIT: 300 and :can: Watchmen

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Sep 13, 2014

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

LoonShia posted:

Daredevil?

He said successful.

Bunni-kat has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Sep 13, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Section 9 posted:

You're not really wrong, but 1 and 3 were very different from 2 (and the later ones were all very different from 1-3.) I won't nerd out about details because this isn't the thread for it. But yeah, they did get a lot of the mythology of Silent Hill wrong in the movie, but when is the last time you saw a movie based on a franchise with a small nerd fan base that was absolutely faithful to the source material and was successful?

Sin city

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

To add a bit of content. I watched Oldboy recently and it was great obviously. Just after Oh Dae Su is freed someone curses at him and he says "TV never taught me to swear" or something. TV is full of swears, it was just such a strange line.

You do realize, when he was put in captivity, they didn't swear. It illustrates how much the world had changed. How the gently caress old are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EmmyOk posted:

True enough, but Silent Hill was shithouse. Silent Hill 2 is the game that made the series and was the quintessential Silent Hill, which is why it was so dumb they made the film about the first game.

That's fair enough, the games didn't really start to shine until 2 and 3. I'm just glad they didn't make a SH2 film and poo poo on 1 instead for the most part.