Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Slime posted:

I'm...hoping that magic actually means crazy space tech.

I'm hoping for some good old-fashioned technomancy if this is the case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technomancy

There is no magic.:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

They're using the wrong tool for the job because they think it's cool. It's like they just decided that the best way to drive out to a construction site in the middle of a jungle is in a Ferrari.

Even better is that its mostly an academic toy that blows up horribly when you aren't extremely good at using it and the theory behind how it works. They pretty much just limited their recruitment pool to CS grad students if they want to get much done.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I think space magic, I think Outlaw Star.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

When I think space magic, I think Outlaw Star.

I legitimately think space ships with handguns and knives are a cool thing that should happen more.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The actual progression branches are named Separator, Accelerator, and Manipulator.

A quote from the devblog where they announced the branches:

playstarbound.com posted:

The Separator gear (crafted from Cerulium and Violium) is for melee-oriented characters. The armors in this bracket will enable them to soak up significantly more damage at the expense of energy reserves.

The Accelerator gear (crafted from Aegisalt and Ferozium) is for the marksman players who favour the use of guns, with the armor providing a considerable amount of energy. This gives them a lot of leeway to continually blast away from a distance and use techs more freely.

The Manipulator gear (crafted from Rubium and Impervium) is for those who enjoy playing glass-cannon characters. The Manipulator’s weapon of choice is the scistaff (which you may recall we implemented a little while ago). The staves will be powerful but require a lot of energy to be used reliably. To this end, the Manipulator armors will have deep energy reserves at the expense of defence.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Awesome. Choices rather than a single "have this or you're gimped" path!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So what's the difference between the shootmans gear and the wizard gear? Are rogues just like halfway between a warrior and a wizard in this in terms of what gear they use?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this is literally just selecting a class based on your equipment. Warrior, rogue and wizard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it sounds like the shooter gear is a balanced set.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Marksman gear may boost energy recharge (sustained fire) while the magic gear boosts energy max (bigger charges). Or the marksman gear is just middle of the road.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, just like Terraria.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

Ah, just like Terraria.

Ehh, not quite - Terraria's 'ranged' weapons all use some sort of ammunition, while 'magic' uses a mana bar. In this, both use a mana bar so I guess the main difference will be in how the weapons themselves handle instead of any obvious change in stats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

...So it's going to be bullets versus a recharge on your gun for lasers and whatever else counts as that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm ok with that, as long as it isnt too restricting.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
heh, just like [other game] :smuggo:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ernie Muppari posted:

heh, just like [other game] :smuggo:

youre right

starbound is much worse

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
lmao haskell for a video game in tyool 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't believe they're copying minecraft

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i can't believe they're copying minecraft

I thought Minecraft was programmed in Java?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

i thought java was terrarina in cum?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't believe starbound copied runescape

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

i cant belive theyre copying spacebwar

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Starbound did not copy all those games whose userbase grew after a month.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
starbound is also not a game

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
early access games are pretty much like buying copies of gone home.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

early access games are pretty much like buying copies of gone home.

it's true

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i like Starbound

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

i like Starbound

I however, hate starbound.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Rrussom posted:

I however, hate starbound.

:monocle:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It is, in fact Warhammer 40k.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've been hearing on the internet that some secret goon club got busted wide open on the starbound forums, and some people are mad because this game hasn't seen any progress in about 4 months. Is this accurate y/n?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leo Showers posted:

I've been hearing on the internet that some secret goon club got busted wide open on the starbound forums, and some people are mad because this game hasn't seen any progress in about 4 months. Is this accurate y/n?

There was a subforum on the Starbound forum for SA members for some reason and I guess someone leaked its existence. It was all very stupid.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Okay, so beside the mystery secret forum thing, has the game been completed since I last played it, which was around Feb. I really don't want to update and play it if it hasn't been completed because it got boring with nothing else to really see or do.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leo Showers posted:

Okay, so beside the mystery secret forum thing, has the game been completed since I last played it, which was around Feb. I really don't want to update and play it if it hasn't been completed because it got boring with nothing else to really see or do.

Nope, not yet

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Leo Showers posted:

in fact the game has not updated at all

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
They bought a puppy and fed it all the money

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
nuhhhhhhhhhh game not updating fast enough nuhhhhhh nuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh arrest chucklefish

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Chucklefish has actually been slowly removing content from Starbound. At this point when you boot up the game all that appears are the words "Hello Wor".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Mods, can we get a thread name change to "Games Meta-Ironic Posting Megathread"? tia

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

There was a subforum on the Starbound forum for SA members for some reason and I guess someone leaked its existence. It was all very stupid.

Correction there was a secret sub forum where we got secret builds and special direct input into the games development, since the board was shut down development has slowed because without secret goon input the game will fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

Correction there was a secret sub forum where we got secret builds and special direct input into the games development, since the board was shut down development has slowed because without secret goon input the game will fail.

I was also allowed to pet the puppy once, since the shutdown they have told her that I went to live on a farm far away.

To seriousanswer: There is a massive revamp update currently underway that shakes up a lot of progression through the game from tools and armors to missions and questing. Spoilery details can be found on their blog ( http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=91 ) with this lovely post titled "Finishing Up Starbound 1.0"

Over on their game site, which I remind you is playstarbound.com, they continue to post nightly updates of their work day progress as well as update the nightly 'more beta than beta' build to match their latest internal build of the game.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 13, 2014

• Locked thread