Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jhoge posted:

Looking to buy a 2014 MS3 sedan, any consensus on which package I should be looking at? The iSport seems to be all I really need, but I haven had a chance to test drive all the different models. From calling arolund a couple dealerships near me, it looks like I can get a new one for around ~$18500 here in Northern California, but I haven't really pushed any salesman hard on that number. Any thoughts on whether that's reasonable?

Well for one, there is no Mazdaspeed3 sedan, ever (MS is the acronym for MazdaSpeed). There was a Mazdaspeed 6 sedan, but it hasn't been made for a number of years.

I'm assuming you mean just a regular Mazda 3 sedan with the iSport stuff. Going to need more specifics - manual or automatic? For a 2014 new model iSport the MSRP appears to be $19,240 (manual), making $18.5k not the most amazing deal I've ever seen. I've probably try to shoot for $18k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

Well for one, there is no Mazdaspeed3 sedan, ever (MS is the acronym for MazdaSpeed). There was a Mazdaspeed 6 sedan, but it hasn't been made for a number of years.

I'm assuming you mean just a regular Mazda 3 sedan with the iSport stuff. Going to need more specifics - manual or automatic? For a 2014 new model iSport the MSRP appears to be $19,240 (manual), making $18.5k not the most amazing deal I've ever seen. I've probably try to shoot for $18k.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Looking to get an automatic. Best offer I've gotten so far is now 18,055 with a college grad discount. Not sure if I should push for more.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Jhoge posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Looking to get an automatic. Best offer I've gotten so far is now 18,055 with a college grad discount. Not sure if I should push for more.

That price is right around what you would get with a friend's and family pricing. I don't know off hand how much the price has increased for the 15MY but unless you're set on buying a car this weekend, send me a PM. I can hook you up with a discount so you can get the latest model year if you want.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Jhoge posted:

Looking to buy a 2014 MS3 sedan, any consensus on which package I should be looking at? The iSport seems to be all I really need, but I haven had a chance to test drive all the different models. From calling arolund a couple dealerships near me, it looks like I can get a new one for around ~$18500 here in Northern California, but I haven't really pushed any salesman hard on that number. Any thoughts on whether that's reasonable?
Keep in mind that the 2015 i Sport has the center screen (with backup camera) and control system that was only available on the more expensive models in 2014. It doesn't include the navigation function that the fancy models do, but apparently all you need to do to get that is buy the SD card ($~300) and plug it in. In addition to being a really good system, it doesn't look like someone left a 1980s Radio Shack clock radio atop the dash. Same change applies to the i Touring, which is the one that is a step above. They will drive exactly the same but the Touring gets you alloy wheels and the blind spot monitor, which I've taken a liking to.

These new 3s are really great cars. I just bought this S Touring a couple weeks ago.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

TheGoatTrick posted:

Keep in mind that the 2015 i Sport has the center screen (with backup camera) and control system that was only available on the more expensive models in 2014. It doesn't include the navigation function that the fancy models do, but apparently all you need to do to get that is buy the SD card ($~300) and plug it in. In addition to being a really good system, it doesn't look like someone left a 1980s Radio Shack clock radio atop the dash. Same change applies to the i Touring, which is the one that is a step above. They will drive exactly the same but the Touring gets you alloy wheels and the blind spot monitor, which I've taken a liking to.

These new 3s are really great cars. I just bought this S Touring a couple weeks ago.

Didn't realize that, and yeah, the 2014 clock/radio does look kind of strange. I can get the 2014 touring model for 18550 but I'm not sure the blind spot monitoring is worth another $500ish.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010

TheGoatTrick posted:

That the deep crystal blue or blue reflex? Looks great. I got the titanium color but wanted the deep crystal blue color when I was buying mine. Heard from a Mazda at the NY auto show that a small amount of the deep crystal blue S touring HB were shipped earlier this year.

Eirgen fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 31, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

How did you like that dealer? I was happy with Phillips in Laguna Hills but have considered Tustin if I pick up a new one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Looks like Blue Reflex. Seems like a good successor to the old style Gunmetal Blue. It looks really sharp on that car.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Looks like Blue Reflex. Seems like a good successor to the old style Gunmetal Blue. It looks really sharp on that car.

The other blue is a dark Navy color. Really pretty.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Eirgen posted:

That the deep crystal blue or blue reflex? Looks great. I got the titanium color but wanted the deep crystal blue color when I was buying mine. Heard from a Mazda at the NY auto show that a small amount of the deep crystal blue S touring HB were shipped earlier this year.
It's Blue Reflex; I prefer lighter colors for ease of maintenance. The Deep Blue is really nice, though. Titanium was my second choice, but the dealer managed to find this one. One of two S Touring hatchbacks in this color left in Southern California. Glad I didn't wait because for 2015, the S Touring loses the Xenon headlights. I also didn't want to risk getting a car built in a brand new factory in a foreign (to Mazda) country, since Mexico production is ramping up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How did you like that dealer? I was happy with Phillips in Laguna Hills but have considered Tustin if I pick up a new one.
This is the third car I've bought from them in 10 years. Decent sales and great service afterwards. They're so busy that I didn't even get the extended warranty spiel when signing the paperwork. I think there's a barbecue every Saturday so that's probably a good time to pop in and have a look around. They are one of the highest if not the highest rated dealers in the area, although they do repeatedly tell you that during the negotiation process.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I bought my 3 last year at Tustin. Good experience with no dealer bullshit and they got me a great rate (1.7%) despite having no credit.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Man, one of the main reasons I went with the S touring, aside from the bigger motor, was the headlights. I couldn't give two shits about a moonroof, also glad I went with a 2014.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Got my 2014 3sGT at Tustin too, spent several hours trying to deal with bullshit at South Bay Mazda until I got tired of it and just called Tustin, asked for a price, drove over, and was out the door in an hour.

How's the leatherette in the S Touring? I went with the GT for the actual leather and the headlights, moonroof's pretty nice too and doesn't kill headroom too badly.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Phantom Limb posted:

Got my 2014 3sGT at Tustin too, spent several hours trying to deal with bullshit at South Bay Mazda until I got tired of it and just called Tustin, asked for a price, drove over, and was out the door in an hour.

How's the leatherette in the S Touring? I went with the GT for the actual leather and the headlights, moonroof's pretty nice too and doesn't kill headroom too badly.

My only other leather interior I had was on my RX8, and I honestly don't notice the difference.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I just wish Mazda had considered front license plates when designing the new 3 and 6. Most cars look bad with front plates, but I think the new 3 and 6 look exceptionally awkward.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nohearum posted:

I just wish Mazda had considered front license plates when designing the new 3 and 6. Most cars look bad with front plates, but I think the new 3 and 6 look exceptionally awkward.

I honestly wouldn't install a front plate unless you get a fix it ticket. I live in a two plate state and haven't had a front plate installed for nearly 10 years, never had a cop say anything about it even when pulled over for something else. Most cops view it as busy work/not their problem and won't enforce it unless you give them a reason to.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I removed the stock weight and drove around for a few days and my shifts were noticeably smoother (less herky jerky, if you will). The shifter action felt weird, mechanical and pretty bad overall. Ended up ordering a $22 delrin knob off amazon, the JBR shift weight, this combination feels very balanced and connected with the transmission. Feels like I retained the smoother shifts and significantly improved the feel of the shifter, I'd describe it as being smooth and notchy (in a good way). If you're making real power, you might experience some lockout or popping out of gear with such a light setup. $45 and my car is way more enjoyable to drive!

I've never tried a heavy knob, so I can't really make a comparison there.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 7, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Nohearum posted:

The 6 doesn't look as bad, because the plate goes inbetween the bottom air dam and the bottom of the grill. But on the 3, it has a serious case of bucktooth.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Geoj posted:

I honestly wouldn't install a front plate unless you get a fix it ticket. I live in a two plate state and haven't had a front plate installed for nearly 10 years, never had a cop say anything about it even when pulled over for something else. Most cops view it as busy work/not their problem and won't enforce it unless you give them a reason to.

Yeah, it takes an extremely bored cop (or angry cop who cant get a lidar reading off the front of your car...) to pull you over for nothing more then a missing front plate.

I carry a license plate and a "broken" bracket in the trunk of my 7. Should I ever get pulled over, I have an excuse along the lines of it broke and going to buy a new bracket...etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

treizebee posted:

Yeah, it takes an extremely bored cop (or angry cop who cant get a lidar reading off the front of your car...) to pull you over for nothing more then a missing front plate.

I carry a license plate and a "broken" bracket in the trunk of my 7. Should I ever get pulled over, I have an excuse along the lines of it broke and going to buy a new bracket...etc.

If you drive at night, prepare to get pulled over once a week. DUI patrols love it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

If you drive at night, prepare to get pulled over once a week. DUI patrols love it.

My anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I've had no front plate for the last 6 years and have been pulled over many times, but the cops have never said anything about the plate. This is all over the place too, state troopers, metro area cops, rural small town departments etc.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Wish I could get away with that in Massachusetts. People get pulled over for license plate covers that obscure the "Spirit of America" text at the bottom of their plates.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Wish I could get away with that in Massachusetts. People get pulled over for license plate covers that obscure the "Spirit of America" text at the bottom of their plates.

I'm ok with that. Some fuckers here have dirty plastic covers over their license plate. You can barely read it through that poo poo.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Stolennosferatu posted:

I'm ok with that. Some fuckers here have dirty plastic covers over their license plate. You can barely read it through that poo poo.

Yeah, those are terribad, but not quite what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the frame-type holders that aren't clear plastic covers. I should have said license plate frames.

I know people who cling to their old-style green plates for dear life to avoid having a front plate.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bovril Delight posted:

My anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

If I had a $100 for every DUI client of mine stopped for no front plate and nothing else, I'd retire. Maybe it is just a California thing, though when I practiced in Minnesota, it was fairly common as well.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Only try to break one law at a time and you tend to do fine :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My experience in Texas has been that local and city PDs don't care about a front plate, but state troopers love to pull you over for it on interstates. I was pulled over for it going between Austin and Houston, and my friends have been pulled over on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio-- all by state troopers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DeesGrandpa posted:

Only try to break one law at a time and you tend to do fine :)

Do you work with me? This is literally our unofficial motto.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

nm posted:

Do you work with me? This is literally our unofficial motto.

My dad (an attorney) beat that into our heads since childhood. Now I make sure my taillights work and to have a DD when I have the callgirl in the trunk, thanks dad :cheers:!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Anyone replaced the rear end links on the gen 1? I tried loosening the lower nut, but it's loving on there good. I'm also replacing the rsb, so I figure I'll see if the top bolts with the suspension loaded using my jack are any easier.

Any tips, or should I buy some cutoff wheels for my dremel?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Anyone replaced the rear end links on the gen 1? I tried loosening the lower nut, but it's loving on there good. I'm also replacing the rsb, so I figure I'll see if the top bolts with the suspension loaded using my jack are any easier.

Any tips, or should I buy some cutoff wheels for my dremel?

Please follow up whenever you get this done. The clunking on my rear suspension has been seemingly a perpetual nightmare... :(

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

air- posted:

Please follow up whenever you get this done. The clunking on my rear suspension has been seemingly a perpetual nightmare... :(

Will do. I'll be replacing both my end links and sway car bushings, both of which might be a source of clunking. I have a bit of low speed clunking as well.

Not sure how many miles you have on your end links, I have 45k on mine and I can tell it's going to be an ordeal. I'm prepared to hack them to pieces, seems like the easiest way to remove them. Expect the worst if you live in a place that rust is an issue.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Will do. I'll be replacing both my end links and sway car bushings, both of which might be a source of clunking. I have a bit of low speed clunking as well.

Not sure how many miles you have on your end links, I have 45k on mine and I can tell it's going to be an ordeal. I'm prepared to hack them to pieces, seems like the easiest way to remove them.

Nearly 104k! Cobb told me they didn't see anything wrong with them apart from needing to be tightened, and after doing so, I don't get why I'm still experiencing issues.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Anyone know the secret to replacing the rear wiper on a 2011 3 hatch? I don't want to risk snapping anything and I'm hoping a mazda part isn't necessary. A quick google yielded nada.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On my 2006 trying to put in an aftermarket one broke the arm. :( It appears to be a custom one or at least a custom mount.
edit: That's a first gen though so I dunno. I figure it's about the same.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Anyone know the secret to replacing the rear wiper on a 2011 3 hatch? I don't want to risk snapping anything and I'm hoping a mazda part isn't necessary. A quick google yielded nada.

Mine just popped off when I replaced it. As far as I know there's no screws or anything that requires tools. I bought some third party wiper and it worked fine. Pop the trim piece off the end of the arm, then you just rotate the blade 90 degrees, pull it off, and you're done.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

air- posted:

Nearly 104k! Cobb told me they didn't see anything wrong with them apart from needing to be tightened, and after doing so, I don't get why I'm still experiencing issues.

Hmm. Sway bar bushings possibly? At that mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if those stock links already need retightening. Just finished replacing my rear endlinks and installed the JBR swaybar. The top nuts were stuck as gently caress, so I used a tungsten carbide cutting bit and a dremel to slice the bolt and then used a chisel to get it off. I used a 14mm crowfoot from HF, extension, ratchet and a ratcheting box end to tighten the MOOG's. Another tip is to adjust the zerks so they're installed at and angle as shown in this thread. I've just taken it around the block and a few speedbumps, seems to have fixed my low speed clunking.

If new swaybar bushings with plenty of grease AND new end links don't fix your clunk, it's probably your struts. I've read that it's possible the bolt that holds the struts to the body might be loose (not really sure what it's called).

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 14, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey guys, need some help diagnosing a really weird situation on my wife's 2005 Mazda 6i automatic. 120k miles. It just started yesterday to 'hang' on to throttle like the cruise control was set but my foot wasn't on the peddle. It fluctuates within a range of ~500-750rpm. I turned the car off and restarted and it seemed to stop. Just barely we were on the freeway and it started surging within a range of 500 rpms at any speeds leading to a very jerky ride. As we exited the freeway it maintained rpms >3500 rpms leading to me popping into neutral to get the car to stop. My initial thought is throttle position sensor, but no codes are being thrown. What else should I consider? I'd rather not make this week a new car buying week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe the throttle body needs cleaning?