Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope Legends gets renewed. Sean Bean forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm watching the Stonecutters episode of The Simpsons and the joke about Steve Guttenberg got me wondering, what exactly happened to his career? I was looking on IMDB and it really seems that once 1990 rolled around actual roles just dried right the gently caress up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
He was never more than a marginal comedic talent. It just took a little while for Hollywood to figure it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this? posted:

I'm watching the Stonecutters episode of The Simpsons and the joke about Steve Guttenberg got me wondering, what exactly happened to his career? I was looking on IMDB and it really seems that once 1990 rolled around actual roles just dried right the gently caress up.

Pedophile on Veronica Mars

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also Sean Bean is hilarious with a Texan accent.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Other TNT news is that the plan to turn perennial cable movie fodder "Shooter" into a TV series. The movie starred Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger, a retired Marine sniper who gets framed for an assassination attempt. It was an okay movie that was mostly notable for the epic amount of people Marky Mark kills in it.

I was about to call you out and tell you that you got it wrong, and the lead was actually Clive Owen, not Marky Mark, but then I realized I was thinking of Shoot 'Em Up, not Shooter.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shoot em up is the greatest movie ever made

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

His episode of Party Down was pretty great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh dear God the Taxi Brooklyn finale is the funniest goddamn thing I have ever seen. I literally can't stop laughing. The stilted villain monologue, the constant escalation of tension, and, of course, the :downsbravo::master::downsbravo: to cap the season. loving brilliant. A perfect satire of overwrought season finales. Fantastic. Just, fantastic.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
e: Never mind, I'm dumb.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 12, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

whowhatwhere posted:

e: Never mind, I'm dumb.

I caught you before your edit, where you asked if this show was a parody or if it just sucked at being dramatic.

This is a shot from the pilot of the show's tough female lead (forgive the lovely quality of my phone capture):

You decide.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Other TNT news is that the plan to turn perennial cable movie fodder "Shooter" into a TV series. The movie starred Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger, a retired Marine sniper who gets framed for an assassination attempt. It was an okay movie that was mostly notable for the epic amount of people Marky Mark kills in it.

The movie is also a book series with Swagger. If I remember right Swagger in the books is actually a spotter in Vietnam whose sniper partner gets killed on his last day of duty by a Russian sniper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really like You're the Worst but I think it's slowly turning into a drama.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
There's really something you gain living in L.A. or at least having some knowledge of it. That KCRW Bookworm take off book interview had me cracking up. As was the whole notion that the rappers just normally go to Farmer's Markets.

I did dig the character progression and given how much the rest of the series so far has had me cracking up, I can dig a more "heavy" episode.

I really hope that it gets picked up for a second season despite the really low ratings it is getting. Married, on the other hand, just doesn't make for a great lead in show.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's an amazing movie. It maintains its worldview, this perfect survivalist fantasy, with an astonishing clarity and consistency. It's basically flawless. I don't see a TV show keeping it up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hey that's Phoebe's cop boyfriend.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hcreight posted:

He was never more than a marginal comedic talent. It just took a little while for Hollywood to figure it out.

It's kind of like Paul Reiser and that beanpole pathetic gently caress that was on Friends. They're hot for a moment because of an extremely situational circumstance. Outside of that they just don't have a draw.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's an amazing movie. It maintains its worldview, this perfect survivalist fantasy, with an astonishing clarity and consistency. It's basically flawless. I don't see a TV show keeping it up.

The end of the movie is pretty crazy, with the scene of Swagger killing the guys behind everything even after he had already won.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

... library exhibits...
LOL @ Working with Difficult People in the Walking Dead exhibit.

Those are great, thanks for sharing!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

I really like You're the Worst but I think it's slowly turning into a drama.
I feel like sitcoms generally veer too far into the problem where they start to be led by caricatures, so I welcome a little drama. I think You're The Worst has done a really good balancing act with both.

On the other hand, I loving love Brooklyn Nine-Nine but since it's by the same people who did P&R, I fear the same will eventually happen to it on the basis of the show is supposed to be goofy and poo poo, eventually they hit a critical mass, continue on and provide little to no character growth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

By all accounts he wisely invested his money and owns a lot of real estate. I think Rob Thomas said that he has property everywhere. So even though he's not acting, he lives a very comfortable life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

By all accounts he wisely invested his money and owns a lot of real estate. I think Rob Thomas said that he has property everywhere. So even though he's not acting, he lives a very comfortable life.

I loving hate Steve Guttenberg.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I fuckin' hate Steve Guttenberg.

edit: :argh:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
So my SHIELD abridged watching experience has been pretty good so far. Got up to TRACKS, the first actual legit good episode. Skye and Coulson are the only characters worth a drat, though, other than Mike Peterson. So of course they put one of the only characters I like in mortal peril. OF COURSE.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spatula City posted:

So my SHIELD abridged watching experience has been pretty good so far. Got up to TRACKS, the first actual legit good episode. Skye and Coulson are the only characters worth a drat, though, other than Mike Peterson. So of course they put one of the only characters I like in mortal peril. OF COURSE.
I thought you were talking about THE SHIELD for a moment there and I was REALLY confused....

Anyway I thought Eye Spy was actually the first legit good episode for me, since it felt like an actual mission impossible/superteam episode with real suspense, real surprises, and an interesting macguffin. After that, yeah, they got worse until basically TRACKS.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 12, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Would a TVIV-specific thread for like a Steam group/friend codes/XBL/PSN tags be kosher? I ask cause smash bros is coming out soon and I'd like to beat all of you up as Samus Aran (the best smasher), but I've been kicking the idea around for a while

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Saw a really cool Twitter chain today. It's not something that should be taken too seriously, but if it makes you film nerds smile then I've done my job.

quote:

@EricVespe: Been re-reading Preacher. Someone make sure @Sethrogen and @evandgoldberg offer Kurt Russell whatever he wants to play the Saint of Killers.

Now, sadly, Kurt Russell never enters this conversation, but at some point Duncan Jones (the director of Moon) steps in...

quote:

@ManMadeMoon: @EricVespe Are they doing it as TV or film?

@Sethrogen: @ManMadeMoon TV show for AMC. Wanna direct some episodes? (I should note that we haven't finished a pilot script)

@ManMadeMoon: @Sethrogen [In] all seriousness... I'd eat my own arm off to do it.

@Sethrogen: @ManMadeMoon sold!!!

So, I don't know if that'll actually pan out; Duncan Jones is deep in pre-production on the Warcraft movie, and even if he was free by the time the show was ready to hire additional directors, obviously an actual deal to bring him in would be more complicated than a Twitter conversation where he doesn't necessarily say "Yes." Still, I thought it was a cool thing to see.

Eventually the conversation shifted to a FAR less likely possibility, but I'm tossing it in anyway because it's cute.

quote:

@ThatJoeMeyers: @Sethrogen Don't forget @rianjohnson please!!!!!!

@EricVespe: @ThatJoeMeyers I have a sneaking suspicion Rian might be busy for a bit.

@rianjohnson: @EricVespe I've got 2 hands.

@Sethrogen: @ManMadeMoon we can set an episode on the millennium falcon if it makes it easier.

@rianjohnson: @Sethrogen Should be fine, we'll just Greek it.

If nothing else, it shows what a big drat deal Preacher is to a lot of cool people.

(Edit: Deleted all the extraneous names to make it easier to read.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 13, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And also that twitter is a loving awful way to display a conversation between multiple people.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toxxupation posted:

Would a TVIV-specific thread for like a Steam group/friend codes/XBL/PSN tags be kosher? I ask cause smash bros is coming out soon and I'd like to beat all of you up as Samus Aran (the best smasher), but I've been kicking the idea around for a while

The only thing Samus is good for is making sandwiches. Obviously Duck Hunt Dog is the best choice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DivisionPost posted:

So, I don't know if that'll actually pan out; Duncan Jones is deep in pre-production on the Warcraft movie, and even if he was free by the time the show was ready to hire additional directors, obviously an actual deal to bring him in would be more complicated than a Twitter conversation where he doesn't necessarily say "Yes." Still, I thought it was a cool thing to see.

Is anyone else really bummed that Duncan Jones is doing the Warcraft movie instead of a Moon follow up?

e: 20 months of post-pro? God drat.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 13, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't the Warcraft movie in post production? The actors say they already finished shooting their scenes months ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
His wife had cancer relatively recently, probably slowed things down a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also mostly CGI.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PittTheElder posted:

Is anyone else really bummed that Duncan Jones is doing the Warcraft movie instead of a Moon follow up?

Seriously? I didn't even hear casting announcements, so I assumed he was in pre-pro. drat.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DivisionPost posted:

Seriously? I didn't even hear casting announcements, so I assumed he was in pre-pro. drat.

The few humans got cast and filmed worryingly quick. I imagine the other actors will just be doing voice over work for the Orcs.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Cardboard Box A posted:

I thought you were talking about THE SHIELD for a moment there and I was REALLY confused....

Anyway I thought Eye Spy was actually the first legit good episode for me, since it felt like an actual mission impossible/superteam episode with real suspense, real surprises, and an interesting macguffin. After that, yeah, they got worse until basically TRACKS.

okay, "Turn, Turn, Turn" owns all the bones. Everything else was filler/stalling to get to that awesome moment. I literally feel like I missed almost nothing skipping a lot of the episodes. Bill Paxton just chews into his scenes, and digests the scenery like it's delicious cake. That moment where he realizes Coulson's figured it out is just beautifully acted.
Is there like, a youtube compilation of Paxton's best moments on the show? That's really the only essential bit of Agents of SHIELD, IMHO.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Z Nation is great dumb fun.

The acting is really bad but it doesn't matter because 80% of the run time is them killing zombies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

Shoot em up is the greatest movie ever made

Unironically agreeing. :stare:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

TheChad posted:

The acting is really bad but it doesn't matter because 80% of the run time is them killing zombies.
So it's the hard sci-fi equivalent of characters vomiting dumb planet names and starship technical specifications instead of talking like regular people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. Me.

Hopefully this allows him to get funds for whatever he wants next though, as if being David Bowies son wasn't enough for that.

• Locked thread