Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I've had Thai massages (the legit kind). They are not what you'd call relaxing. My mother in law called it 'yoga for lazy people' and that's about right. They fling you around like a rag doll and force you to stretch in all kinds of uncomfortable ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Almost got in a fight with a ladyboy. Just a tad too aggressive for my taste. You shouldn't grab someones arm and block their way and behave in such a way. Not cool. I think the "no thank you, I'm not interested" should have been a dead giveaway. But no. Gotta grab me.

Also, in five minutes saw three one-legged people sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk in different places. And one passed out child with a puppy asleep with his chin rested on the kids knee. Cute and sad and wtf all at once.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Waltzing Along posted:

Almost got in a fight with a ladyboy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkB-VQviLI

What area were you in? What soi? What bars or restaurant were nearby? What time of day? What did she say?

I hope it wasn't during the rain - was it?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You went to a place where they do that, you asked for it.

Don't get into fights with ladyboys. For some reason lots of people seem to do that and they usually have a story about getting smacked with a brick from behind as a result.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Don't fight with anyone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Red faced angry Korean men? Pushy after hours drunken Brits? An American starting into "Well let me tell YOU something pal!"??????

raton fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 12, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Almost got in a fight with a ladyboy. Just a tad too aggressive for my taste. You shouldn't grab someones arm and block their way and behave in such a way. Not cool. I think the "no thank you, I'm not interested" should have been a dead giveaway. But no. Gotta grab me.

Also, in five minutes saw three one-legged people sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk in different places. And one passed out child with a puppy asleep with his chin rested on the kids knee. Cute and sad and wtf all at once.

You should go to India next.

Edit: but yeah, those kids are usually put out there by criminal networks. Sad poo poo.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Don't fight with anyone.

Especially in a foreign country.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was walking down Sukhumvit, about to walk up the stairs for an overpass to the other side of the street. Around Soi 10 / Asoke? BTS station. She tried to grab another dude ahead of me and he shook her off. I guess that made her more aggresive towards me. I suspect she was drunk.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Which was why you fought her?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Which was why you fought her?

There are some people with really poor reading comprehension in this thread.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Internalize the unofficial Thai national motto: mai bpen rai

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waltzing Along posted:

There are some people with really poor reading comprehension in this thread.

So are you trying to say shaking a lady boy off is "fighting" her because lol

Please provide a blow by blow account of the fight thanks.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 13, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Personal space and public space tolerances are different where ever you go.

Some places are more in your face than other so you might feel uncomfortable.

Keep calm and don't over react. Just shrug and move on.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On second thought, confront them. Stand up for your rights. We haven't had a good "Katoeys arrested after brutally gang-beating tourist" story in the news here in Bangkok in a while!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. This person grabbed me and would not let go. They stood in my way and blocked me when I tried to get around. It was very aggressive and would have provoked a fight with many people. I ended up spinning around to get her to let go then quickly moved on.

This was a ladyBOY not a ladyGIRL.

I didn't throw any punches and tried to be polite but this was not cool at all. Had this been two dudes in the states it very well would have led to blows being thrown.

So far my only bad experience here.

On the other hand, I saw what I guess were some monitor lizards just chilling out in a park.

And the MBK mall is so insane. I've been trying to describe it to friends back home but how do you explain three hundred cell phone stalls all crammed together all selling the same things. It just doesn't make sense. How do they stay in business. I'm guessing rental space is crazy cheap.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

And the MBK mall is so insane. I've been trying to describe it to friends back home but how do you explain three hundred cell phone stalls all crammed together all selling the same things. It just doesn't make sense. How do they stay in business. I'm guessing rental space is crazy cheap.

If it's anything like Manila, a lot of those stalls are owned by the same people and the prices vary only to make people think they're getting good deals when they're still overpaying.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. This person grabbed me and would not let go. They stood in my way and blocked me when I tried to get around. It was very aggressive and would have provoked a fight with many people. I ended up spinning around to get her to let go then quickly moved on.

This was a ladyBOY not a ladyGIRL.
Yes, we all know. When you wander around a sex district in Bangkok, particularly near Nana, this happens. You do what you did - just escape. No biggie. This ain't the States, no need to go all aggro. And, of course, this kind of behavior is limited to tourist environments - with the ladyBOY variant being specifically in sex tourism districts like Nana. Thai people do not run around accosting you anywhere else - or if they do it's pretty loving serious and you've stumbled into something bad. Insanely unlikely.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Barfolemew hasn't posted since he headed to Banyan Bar. For the uninitiated, this is where he has met his end: https://www.facebook.com/BanyanBarKohTao

Also, http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g303910-d2719023-Reviews-Banyan_Bar-Ko_Tao_Surat_Thani_Province.html. This is my favourite:

quote:

Found this bar on our way back to our bungalow. The place was rocking. The bar staff were very friendly and insisted on giving you shots. I avoided the jager bombs. My daughter didn't and was wrecked the next day.

That said, go there tomorrow for the loving excellent Sunday roast.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Finch! posted:

Barfolemew hasn't posted since he headed to Banyan Bar. For the uninitiated, this is where he has met his end: https://www.facebook.com/BanyanBarKohTao

Also, http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g303910-d2719023-Reviews-Banyan_Bar-Ko_Tao_Surat_Thani_Province.html. This is my favourite:

That said, go there tomorrow for the loving excellent Sunday roast.

Roger.

Plan is to check out the roast and then head to Raw.

Cool island. Only complain is that everyone else seems to be 20 and hot. But im grumpy finnish guy so i can just drink my beer and watch them stumble around with buckets.

And holy poo poo, I haven't seen so many scooter related injuries anywhere else.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Roger.

Plan is to check out the roast and then head to Raw.

Cool island. Only complain is that everyone else seems to be 20 and hot. But im grumpy finnish guy so i can just drink my beer and watch them stumble around with buckets.

And holy poo poo, I haven't seen so many scooter related injuries anywhere else.

Yeah, Koh Tao is not the best place for motorbikes. Injuries are fairly common and deaths more frequent than you'd think. I've been in three bike crashes on the island and I don't even have a bike. In fact I wasn't even on a bike for two of them, but the people who drove into me were.

I'm a grumpy old man, too. Banyan is made for people like us.

If you get a chance, you gotta check out Booker's: https://www.facebook.com/bookerskohtao

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Score one for being a woman over the age of 30. I'm pretty sure I was completely invisible except for the occasional joke about my boobs that I wasn't supposed to understand.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Banyan now has a pool table. Its not even 1700 yet but everyone including the bartender (s) are completely wasted.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Banyan now has a pool table. Its not even 1700 yet but everyone including the bartender (s) are completely wasted.

Standard :v:

I actually lived at Banyan for a few months. The bakery has since expanded into what was once my apartment.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Note of warning with ladyboys (or any kind of prostitute really): invasions of personal space like that aren't too uncommon but can also be a pretty good cover for pickpocketing. So far the only bad thing to happen to me in SEA (not counting a drunken bike crash way back when I was in Vietnam for the first time). General rules of not being drunk walking home alone (and so making yourself an obvious target) whether you're a guy or a girl apply. Don't start a fight, do check your pockets.

That said most of the time fights happen because someone's being stupid and are pretty avoidable. I know one guy here in KL who has had to have friends pretty much restrain him a couple of times because he's been drunk and a local guy has been creepy to a girl he knows, upset her and he's determined to set things right by getting the guy to publicly apologise and promise to leave or get into a fight. As with anywhere in Asia(/the rest of the world) trying to force someone into a public apology and leave pretty much never happens.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

Note of warning with ladyboys (or any kind of prostitute really): invasions of personal space like that aren't too uncommon but can also be a pretty good cover for pickpocketing. So far the only bad thing to happen to me in SEA (not counting a drunken bike crash way back when I was in Vietnam for the first time). General rules of not being drunk walking home alone (and so making yourself an obvious target) whether you're a guy or a girl apply. Don't start a fight, do check your pockets.

That said most of the time fights happen because someone's being stupid and are pretty avoidable. I know one guy here in KL who has had to have friends pretty much restrain him a couple of times because he's been drunk and a local guy has been creepy to a girl he knows, upset her and he's determined to set things right by getting the guy to publicly apologise and promise to leave or get into a fight. As with anywhere in Asia(/the rest of the world) trying to force someone into a public apology and leave pretty much never happens.

Especially for being creepy to a girl. That's just called flirting here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, that's true. The only time I've ever had my pocket picked was by a Mexican ladyboy. I was purposely only carrying a license and cash. I realized it about 5 seconds later, turned around and said, "Can I have the license?" She smirked, walked over, handed me the license and walked away.

She got the pocket with the license and like $5, heh.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, that's true. The only time I've ever had my pocket picked was by a Mexican ladyboy. I was purposely only carrying a license and cash. I realized it about 5 seconds later, turned around and said, "Can I have the license?" She smirked, walked over, handed me the license and walked away.

She got the pocket with the license and like $5, heh.

Idea: Cut a hole in your pocket and put your dick through the hole so ladyboys picking your pocket touch your dick

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I swear, that entire market of poo poo people buy for anti-pickpocketing is a racket itself. You can buy pockets that clip onto your bra-strap, or chain-mesh belt packs. I got careless carrying a bag of teaching supplies through a festival in Laos and had the top pocket unzipped and riffled, but all they got was an envelope of Canadian flag stickers.

I've been out of SEA for longer than I was there and I still miss it. I hate heat, crowds, and strong smells. I think I have Stockholm.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, yeah. New travelers ask, "Should I wear it inside?" and show me some contraption and I'm like, "Just don't."

As for the rest; One of us. One of us. One of us.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
All you can drink for 600 peso in a japanese karaoke place: Good value, poor idea. I'm on my 4th liter of water and i still feel dehydrated. I feel bad for all the japanese people there too. 20 drunk scandinavians sort of ruined the mood they were hoping for methinks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've really enjoyed my stay here in Bangkok. Even though I am completely exhausted and the last day or so, in terms of seeing things, have been a waste. And I have to be at the airport in the middle of the night to leave. Fun times.

What an awesome place. Hopefully I can see some stuff this evening.

The heat/humidity just wore me out. Never experienced that before.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bon Voyage!

Do the river, it's an easy day trip and you can stop at Wat Pho, Wat Phra Kaew and river restaurants. There is a whole Bangkok outside of Nana and Cowboy!

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Hoping for some Bangkok hotel/district advice:

We will be there for 3 1/2 days in mid-January (end of a 3-week trip - the previous week having been spent on Koh Chang). The wish list for our time there includes the Grand Palace, some wats (the obvious ones), shopping, sky bars, possibly some touristy red light stuff (just to walk around, no interest in ping pong shows or anything), and i'd like to see Ayutthaya but not thinking it's worth it with such a short time.. It's the first trip to Asia for both of us so I have no idea how we'll feel after two weeks (Chiang Mai and Siem Reap before Koh Chang) as far as how much of those activities we'll prefer.

Hotels I've looked the most at:
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit - close to BTS, read that it's great if dated
Shangri-la - would love the view, but the area sounds a little boring
Banyan Tree (or similar around it) - originally loved the sky bar but maybe not better for more than drink though the rooms look nice

Budget is flexible but the range of those three is what I'm hoping for - I'm seeing $130-$200/nt depending on room.

I think I'll really like Bangkok but I was outvoted on spending more time there so hoping for the best introduction to it. I'm open to most suggestions if I'm totally on the wrong track.

Also, we have a 7am flight back on the Saturday we leave - what's the best way to get to BKK that early?

edit: About us - mid 30's couple, coming from the Bay Area, only real international travel experience has been to western Europe

transient fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 14, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Idea: At all future SE Asia goon meets attendees will be required to turn their pockets inside out and may be asked to leave as a result.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

transient posted:

Hoping for some Bangkok hotel/district advice:

We will be there for 3 1/2 days in mid-January (end of a 3-week trip - the previous week having been spent on Koh Chang). The wish list for our time there includes the Grand Palace, some wats (the obvious ones), shopping, sky bars, possibly some touristy red light stuff (just to walk around, no interest in ping pong shows or anything), and i'd like to see Ayutthaya but not thinking it's worth it with such a short time.. It's the first trip to Asia for both of us so I have no idea how we'll feel after two weeks (Chiang Mai and Siem Reap before Koh Chang) as far as how much of those activities we'll prefer.

Hotels I've looked the most at:
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit - close to BTS, read that it's great if dated
Shangri-la - would love the view, but the area sounds a little boring
Banyan Tree (or similar around it) - originally loved the sky bar but maybe not better for more than drink though the rooms look nice

Budget is flexible but the range of those three is what I'm hoping for - I'm seeing $130-$200/nt depending on room.

I think I'll really like Bangkok but I was outvoted on spending more time there so hoping for the best introduction to it. I'm open to most suggestions if I'm totally on the wrong track.

Also, we have a 7am flight back on the Saturday we leave - what's the best way to get to BKK that early?

edit: About us - mid 30's couple, coming from the Bay Area, only real international travel experience has been to western Europe

Check out the Aloft Sukhumvit, new Starwood property that may be to your liking.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Well there goes my plans.

The bug that I thought that I had was just a taste to things to come. Slight fever and watershit and just threw up. I'll go to the clinic tomorrow if I can't ride it out.

I have plenty of water and soda.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Well there goes my plans.

The bug that I thought that I had was just a taste to things to come. Slight fever and watershit and just threw up. I'll go to the clinic tomorrow if I can't ride it out.

I have plenty of water and soda.

There's a clinic across the road from where you're staying, but we refer to the doctor as Doctor Death. Just FYI. He's actually pretty good, I don't even know where the name came from but he's been called that for years and everyone knows who you're talking about.

I hope it's nothing too serious. Please tell me you haven't been using tap water to brush your teeth!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This is why you don't eat the ice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is why you don't eat the ice!

Ice on Koh Tao is fine - all the ice shops use reverse osmosis filters and I think one even has a UV filter on top of that. All the tap water is filthy well water that's trucked around from well to (filthy) water tank. I think some water is even shipped in from Koh Samui or Chumphon. There's a massive water shortage on the island... from a distance the island is brown rather than green, so not only is there not enough rain but there are too many people using what does fall. It sucks. Go away, tourists!

The "don't eat the ice" crowd are hilarious. Mostly old and Australian. I was at the bar of some hotel in Bangkok (as one does) and some Australian pensioners were ordering drinks (BUT NO ICE!!!!!) next to me. I listened to their conversation for a while and they'd arrived in Thailand that day, for the first time. I bet their minds were blown every day of the next few weeks.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 14, 2014