Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I went 4-0-1 at FNM tonight with U/G Monsters(ish) and got first due to very strange pairings.

I wish people would play faster at the store :( My draw was against Jund Planeswalkers (somehow) and in another round I never got to finish game 2. My opponent was playing G/W heroic and game 1 took forty minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rinkles posted:

I'm really curious what the Mirrodin/Kamigawa standard was like

Cernunnos posted:

Tops and Jittes as far as the eye can see. :v:

Kamigawa/Ravnica was similar I believe.

Affinity was dominant until it was banned and then Shackles Control became the big thing. Jitte did eventually become pretty rampant. BG Aggro Control was also a deck.

Early Ravnica standard was mostly Gifts and Reanimator, if I recall correctly. Goryo's Vengeance was a big card as was Glare of Subdual.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've really liked watching LSV's Vintage and Legacy VoDs recently. Can anyone recommend another eternal streamer to watch? Preferably something on Youtube.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

It was all Affinity before the bannings (it was as oppressive as can be, even the mono-green artifact hate deck was not a surefire win against it.) After the bannings it was mono-blue, mono-red, and mono-green Tooth and Nail. I think there was a Death Cloud deck maybe? That might have been with Onslaught.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

fadam posted:

I've really liked watching LSV's Vintage and Legacy VoDs recently. Can anyone recommend another eternal streamer to watch? Preferably something on Youtube.
I think Randy Buehler has some videos, and streams Vintage. there's also the Vintage Super League that they stream, Doomsday is beating everyone down there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

It was all Affinity before the bannings (it was as oppressive as can be, even the mono-green artifact hate deck was not a surefire win against it.) After the bannings it was mono-blue, mono-red, and mono-green Tooth and Nail. I think there was a Death Cloud deck maybe? That might have been with Onslaught.

There was also a monogreen aggro deck with SoFI, Jitte, Blanchwood Armor and Troll Ascetic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Kamigawa/Ravnica standard owwwwnnneeeed. B/W Hands is still one of my favorite decks ever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I suppose I'll admit I'm kind of an envious bastard since my buddy bought six Scars of Mirrodin boosters. In one he got a Mox Opal... Then in another he got a loving foil Mox Opal :suicide:. Short of pulling a Power Nine card, Mind Sculptor, etc that's insanely hard to beat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

etiquette question: sore losers are easy to deal with, but what do you do about "sore" winners? I'm talking about the people who after they beat you say "Wow yeah your deck is awful" or immediately run to their friend behind you and say "easy win, my opponent was pretty bad". I want to say "ignore them" but god drat if it doesn't make me want to tear off my shirt and start yelling

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mortimer posted:

etiquette question: sore losers are easy to deal with, but what do you do about "sore" winners? I'm talking about the people who after they beat you say "Wow yeah your deck is awful" or immediately run to their friend behind you and say "easy win, my opponent was pretty bad". I want to say "ignore them" but god drat if it doesn't make me want to tear off my shirt and start yelling

It's an odd psychology thing I suppose. Any reaction at all is what they want. If you fight back to the other spectrum of curl up in a ball and start to cry that's what they want. The most annoying thing to do is be a good sport. "Hahah yeah, I chose pretty bad there. What would you have played different?" "poo poo, you're right. I was a moron and a half. You beat me super hard." Admitting they're better, ironically, won't give them a fight and put them off balance.

So I suppose don't ignore them, overly compliment them. If you wanna beat them be so much better as a person than them they have no idea what to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tracula posted:

I suppose I'll admit I'm kind of an envious bastard since my buddy bought six Scars of Mirrodin boosters. In one he got a Mox Opal... Then in another he got a loving foil Mox Opal :suicide:. Short of pulling a Power Nine card, Mind Sculptor, etc that's insanely hard to beat.

As a kid I wasn't too well off; getting a booster a month was pretty good. One day my sister and me were given enough money to buy one Pokemon booster each (I was only becoming aware of Magic - my uncle got me a Portal starter pack the same year). I got some crappy rare, she got a foil Charizard. I just had to get another booster after that, and somehow cajoled my mother into buying a second one.

It had no rare in it! No rare, no foil, nothing.

I didn't even know that was possible, but it taught me a valuable lesson about gambling (that I soon forgot, when I got into Magic proper 2 or so years later).

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Just went from a winning game where I had multiple walkers active and blasfemous acted away my opponents board full of slivers. This proved too much for MODO to handle, so it just restarted the game. :thumbsup:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rinkles posted:

As a kid I wasn't too well off; getting a booster a month was pretty good. One day my sister and me were given enough money to buy one Pokemon booster each (I was only becoming aware of Magic - my uncle got me a Portal starter pack the same year). I got some crappy rare, she got a foil Charizard. I just had to get another booster after that, and somehow cajoled my mother into buying a second one.

It had no rare in it! No rare, no foil, nothing.

I didn't even know that was possible, but it taught me a valuable lesson about gambling (that I soon forgot, when I got into Magic proper 2 or so years later).

:shobon: I guess I can understand that. I've not done much nerd gambling lately besides some occasional Star Trek heroclix (WHERES MY loving ENTERPIRSE-D) and getting back into the idea of losing more than winning is an odd one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tracula posted:

:shobon: I guess I can understand that. I've not done much nerd gambling lately besides some occasional Star Trek heroclix (WHERES MY loving ENTERPIRSE-D) and getting back into the idea of losing more than winning is an odd one.

My sister's the greatest, though, because not long after she gave it to me - and not because she didn't care about cards anymore. Still have it with me, unlike my Magic collection from the time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mortimer posted:

Don't lose, obviously. :smuggo:

I've actually taken great pleasure in beating them at a later time. I've got kind of a reputation for playing janky decks at modern, because I don't actually like the format and I refuse to take it seriously. The "grinder" types at my store pretty clearly didn't take me seriously (not that I do either; it's the principle of the thing.) So imagine their surprise when I roll in last week and go 5-0 in rounds and 9-2 in games, getting paired against 3 of them through the night. That's just the best feeling.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is going to be my first rotation. I'm worried I still be terrible when it happens. My current boros devotion deck is crippled to the point of being usable. I saved up temur cards so that I can transition well into the launch. Since I'm still a magic noob, any tips I should know about for baby's first rotation?

Also, I've notice some temur and green decks using Yisan, the Wandering Barb in their main deck. Do I always have to search my library when I put a verse counter on her?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yes, you can fail to find if you want, but you still need to be careful with scry.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

There were some really interesting decks in Kamigawa-Ravnica standard. Owling Mine decks involved filling the opponent's hand and getting the kill with Ebony Owl Netsuke, which led to the infamous One With Nothing seeing (extremely sparse) tournament play. There was also an Erayo deck that used Ornithopter and Repeal to cast 4 spells in a turn.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Trotted out Mono Blue Devotion for the last time before rotation, crushed round one against Ensoul Artifact deck (I'd been out of the game a few months, so a 5/5 Ornithopter barreling down at me on turn 2 was pretty scary), narrowly lost two games in round two to Boros... aggro-control? due to some really lovely draws, and then again with my land going "gently caress you" for a 1:2 loss against Jund Superfriends ft. Nissa, Worldwaker.

Then I started talking to coworkers about comic books and ceased to give a poo poo about FNM because I really just wanted to play EDH anyways, so dropped the last two rounds and tormented some strangers with my Bant Merfolk Fun Police deck while taking the piss out of Rick Remender with friends. Good night!

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 13, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

There were some really interesting decks in Kamigawa-Ravnica standard. Owling Mine decks involved filling the opponent's hand and getting the kill with Ebony Owl Netsuke, which led to the infamous One With Nothing seeing (extremely sparse) tournament play. There was also an Erayo deck that used Ornithopter and Repeal to cast 4 spells in a turn.

More combo decks in standard, please

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Rinkles posted:

More combo decks in standard, please

I miss my Esper Angel of Glory's Rise deck SO MUCH. Chronic Flooding was my jam!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Erayo deck wasn't very good though iirc, my favorite deck from Kamigawa/Ravnica standard was the Heartbeat of Spring deck which had all the combo pieces as 3 drops so they could be fetched by Drift of Phantasms.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think Ghazi-Glare is one of the most well constructed Standard decks of all time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mortimer posted:

I tend to make comments like, "oh man you sure are ready for that IQ/PTQ next week! You're really good!" Now you can see why I prefer to play at VC/fairfax now instead.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there an IRC channel or thread for Cockatrice stuff? KTK is up on there and on drafts.in and I would love to play some pre-pre-release practice sealed with people this morning

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Chill la Chill posted:

I tend to make comments like, "oh man you sure are ready for that IQ/PTQ next week! You're really good!" Now you can see why I prefer to play at VC/fairfax now instead.
We had a couple of those for a while, but one of them just stopped for no particular reason (I guess he grew as a person?) and the rest either moved on or stopped attending events. But one of them, one of them was named Greg, and he was a complete smuglord, who would rub it in every single time, every single win, and also had a reputation for "forgetting" triggers. He also stole pizza, tokens, dice and occasionally tried to have players banned because they were gay, usually by making up poo poo to report to the TO. He was terrible.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

The obvious answer is to don't let them win.
Beat them and then make a subtly smug remark without sounding smug.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Guess it's time to bite the bullet. I started doing drafts to get back into the game a few weeks ago, and I decided if I was having fun I'd spend money to get cards I need to throw a standard deck together for the Khans rotation, and here we are. I was hoping I could get advice on a "shell" of a deck coming from Theros-M15 that could be completed with Khans that would get me started with standard.

What I have so far: not much, mainly just what I've pulled from drafting and prizes. Two Chords of Calling, a Mana Confluence, that haste/prot white Dragon from Theros. I also have stuff from the Clash pack and picked up a set of Rabblemasters when they were cheap, though I'm certainly not beholden to play with them. Also have two Indulgent Tormenters, though I don't know if those guys are relevant in Standard or not.

What I like: I'd prefer to stay away from Black if possible, just because I don't particularly enjoy playing Black. Typically I'm more of a White/Blue guy I guess.

Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to sink some money to get started into this but I'd prefer to avoid, like, playsets of $30 Elspeths and crap if possible.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

goferchan posted:

Is there an IRC channel or thread for Cockatrice stuff? KTK is up on there and on drafts.in and I would love to play some pre-pre-release practice sealed with people this morning

hop in #mtgoon we'll get it done.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Veyrall posted:

We had a couple of those for a while, but one of them just stopped for no particular reason (I guess he grew as a person?) and the rest either moved on or stopped attending events. But one of them, one of them was named Greg, and he was a complete smuglord, who would rub it in every single time, every single win, and also had a reputation for "forgetting" triggers. He also stole pizza, tokens, dice and occasionally tried to have players banned because they were gay, usually by making up poo poo to report to the TO. He was terrible.

Thats when you stand up mid FNM and yell "I want to take a poll. Who else here things Greg is a giant piece of poo poo and shouldn't be allowed to play here anymore?". gently caress those people.

Last night was my first FNM at a store I didn't know existed that was 6 miles away with no traffic. Beats the poo poo out of 20+ miles with traffic. Its a smaller store, but otherwise pretty amazing as far as selection and turnout go. I meet a few people, play a few games, become really happy with my decision to give this place a shot. Definitely going to be my new LGS of choice.

Queue round two against this turd named John. I am playing mono black devotion (yes, I hate it too) and he is playing mono white aggro. I mul to 5 first game and deal with the steriotypical spike who plays balls the way fast while not keeping track of triggers, trying to cheat out temples as untapped, basically causing me to slow down and babysit his poo poo. I lose a close game even after the mul. Queue game two where I top deck thoughtseize turn two to look at a hand of 3 brimaz, 2 two drops, and a mutavault with a 2/1 already on board. He proceeds to tell me how poo poo is hand is and how bullshit life is if he doesn't draw a land. He draws, spazzes, plays the mutavault, attacks, and plays a two drop. I have one doomblade in hand with a demon, lifebane, and some land. I play the lifebane, notice he drew another two drop and take it hoping to god he doesn't draw a land. He doesn't draw the land, he flips his poo poo in a big way, and activates his mutavault and attacks with his entire board. I trade his muta with my zombie and he throws his hand across the room!

He is melting down about that his deck couldn't win no matter what in his opinion. I show him my hand and say that game was still very much in his favor and that attacking with the muta was pretty silly. He then precedes to tell me to go gently caress myself at the top of his lungs. Here I am, new store which I am really digging, having a great time, and this douchelord just tells me to go gently caress myself after everything that just happened. Here am I thinking that I am about to get in a fight at a MAGIC store and how this is the biggest no situation in a long time. UGH, gently caress people like that.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 13, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This is around when Magic Celebration / Free Magic Day was held for the last few years, right? Is that not happening this year?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
LOL^^^^ A loser is a loser:shrug:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

Thats when you stand up mid FNM and yell "I want to take a poll. Who else here things Greg is a giant piece of poo poo and shouldn't be allowed to play here anymore?". gently caress those people.

Last night was my first FNM at a store I didn't know existed that was 6 miles away with no traffic. Beats the poo poo out of 20+ miles with traffic. Its a smaller store, but otherwise pretty amazing as far as selection and turnout go. I meet a few people, play a few games, become really happy with my decision to give this place a shot. Definitely going to be my new LGS of choice.

Queue round two against this turd named John. I am playing mono black devotion (yes, I hate it too) and he is playing mono white aggro. I mul to 5 first game and deal with the steriotypical spike who plays balls the way fast while not keeping track of triggers, trying to cheat out temples as untapped, basically causing me to slow down and babysit his poo poo. I lose a close game even after the mul. Queue game two where I top deck thoughtseize turn two to look at a hand of 3 brimaz, 2 two drops, and a mutavault with a 2/1 already on board. He proceeds to tell me how poo poo is hand is and how bullshit life is if he doesn't draw a land. He draws, spazzes, plays the mutavault, attacks, and plays a two drop. I have one doomblade in hand with a demon, lifebane, and some land. I play the lifebane, notice he drew another two drop and take it hoping to god he doesn't draw a land. He doesn't draw the land, he flips his poo poo in a big way, and activates his mutavault and attacks with his entire board. I trade his muta with my zombie and he throws his hand across the room!

He is melting down about that his deck couldn't win no matter what in his opinion. I show him my hand and say that game was still very much in his favor and that attacking with the muta was pretty silly. He then precedes to tell me to go gently caress myself at the top of his lungs. Here I am, new store which I am really digging, having a great time, and this douchelord just tells me to go gently caress myself after everything that just happened. Here am I thinking that I am about to get in a fight at a MAGIC store and how this is the biggest no situation in a long time. UGH, gently caress people like that.

Yo, somebody throwing cards around is A Bad Thing even at FNM, so if there was a Judge around, I hope you mentioned something at least.

Similarly, Veyrall, your homophobic douchelord also could probably be officially punished (depending on choice of words and stuff), if he's not unwanted at the store already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Yo, somebody throwing cards around is A Bad Thing even at FNM, so if there was a Judge around, I hope you mentioned something at least.

Similarly, Veyrall, your homophobic douchelord also could probably be officially punished (depending on choice of words and stuff), if he's not unwanted at the store already.

We are talking about 12 players on probably the slowest week for the year in magic. Nothing went unnoticed. While we got a group together trying to brew mardu for khans someone told me his blowup was definitely bigger than normal but the dude shows up to every event the store has and has issues every other week.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Geez. The one time I got mad enough that I came close to something like that over Magic (I drafted a nut AVR deck, topdecked like a champ, and my opponent still beat me), I realized I was done and left the event. If you get so tilted, you need to GTFO.

The worst my FNM had to offer was an overly earnest guy who was rather overloud, and the worst thing about him to me was that he was kind of twitchy and didn't use sleeves, so he always completely destroyed his cards.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Our FLGS community has had a few frustrated grinders who get like that. A good shop doesn't tolerate that poo poo, bring it up to the owners.

I usually go find my friends between rounds and tell them what I played against. I don't think you're an idiot for bringing Freed From The Real Combo to FNM, I'm just kind of flabbergasted! :shobon:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm pretty sure the number one play I'm going to be making for the next year is using Ride Down on the creature blocking Goblin Rabblemaster. I can't wait.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I'm pretty sure the number one play I'm going to be making for the next year is using Ride Down on the creature blocking Goblin Rabblemaster. I can't wait.

But will you windmill ride down when you do it?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sickening posted:

But will you windmill ride down when you do it?

Or make little horsey noises. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The only dude at my LGS that approaches any sort of intolerable sore winner/loser phase is a guy who only plays EDH and thinks its some kind of super competitive thing.

• Locked thread