Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

megalodong posted:

Just started playing this and I quite like it because I'm a masochist. Character is Nithyan the enchanter.

A question:

How do you tell if you need to train a skill with GM points before it starts going up? Apparently some skills need it but I don't see anywhere that says what they are.

This is a good resource http://wiki.project1999.com/. Just find your class on there and see at what level you gain certain skills. Meditate for example you gain at level 4. It will not raise on its own until you put at least one training point at your trainer into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

This is a good resource http://wiki.project1999.com/. Just find your class on there and see at what level you gain certain skills. Meditate for example you gain at level 4. It will not raise on its own until you put at least one training point at your trainer into it.

So it's just skills that you don't start with at level 1?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

megalodong posted:

Pretty much, although I never have luck raising sense heading until I put a point into it, even though you start with the actual skill.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

megalodong posted:

All skills you don't start with require a training point for sure. It seems random which level 1 skills require a point to get going. I've searched but haven't found a definitive list.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Welp decided to roll a new halfling warrior named Lilwayne, we'll see how this goes. When's the next time somebody who isn't me is doing a PL? Also, wtb cheap warrior gear, I have about 1000p to spend for now.

Or... Should I make a ranger? I'm so confused.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 13, 2014

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Blind actually blinds you in this game. Rip me, the level 2 enchanter, who ran into a camp of orcs while his screen was black.

Got my corpse back though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is there anything to the old EQ1 rumor that having high int increases your chance of skill ups in tradeskills, and CHA increases your success chance? Does it work that way still in P1999 or is it changed to be more fair to idiot races?

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

So is there anything to the old EQ1 rumor that having high int increases your chance of skill ups in tradeskills, and CHA increases your success chance? Does it work that way still in P1999 or is it changed to be more fair to idiot races?

The below is the correct information from p99 far as anyone can tell. I tested INT gear on and off myself when leveling jewel crafting, seems to be correct.

quote:

Stats and Tradeskills

Stats, and how they impact tradeskills, have been the subject of much debate, pet theories and urban legend. Over the years we've received several conflicting/changing reports on the effect of stats when tradeskilling. Here is the most recent information we have.

The basics
INT & WIS whichever of the two is higher will affect skill increases when practicing any tradeskill. The higher either your INT or WIS is, the greater the chance you have for a skill gain while tradeskilling.

CHA higher charisma, along with faction, will affect your buying and selling prices with merchants.

Exceptions to the above
Smithing skill increases for smithing are determined by INT, WIS or STR, whichever is higher.

Fletching skill increases for fletching are determined by INT, WIS or DEX, whichever is higher.

Poison Making skill increases for Poison Making are determined by INT, WIS or DEX, whichever is higher.

While tailoring has been mentioned several times as needing DEX, at last check it was still not implemented.

A specific quote from Tanker, SOE Dev
Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
Here's the list guys:
Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
Smithing - STR
Fletching - DEX
PoisonMaking - DEX
END OF LIST <<-- note, there are NO more tradeskills that have alternate attributes.

Stats have no impact on your chance of success or failure on the combine when practicing tradeskills. (Only your current skill is supposed to impact your chances of success or failure when creating an item.) What the stat will affect is your chance to get a skill up on a failure. The paraphrased quote is "You have up to 100% greater chance of a skill up on a successful combine than you have on a failed combine. Your stat will 'mitigate' the difference between a failed combine skill up and a successful combine skill up." What this means to us is that it increases your chance of a skill up on a failed combine (not a successful combine) Since we fail fairly often on combines, it will increase the overall chance of skill ups over many combines

Taken from: http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/show...Tradeskills&s=

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Sagnid posted:

The below is the correct information from p99 far as anyone can tell. I tested INT gear on and off myself when leveling jewel crafting, seems to be correct.

I asked about this in a q&a and currently skill ups are all int based, not int/wis based. Apparently eq classic was always like that, and the whole int/wis higher stat thing is/was misinformation widely accepted to this day.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Int accelerated skill ups and Wis increased successful crafting combines/research combines.

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
I gave my mage away a couple years ago and now I have the urge to flush my social life down the toilet again ahhhh..

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Epic Mount posted:

I gave my mage away a couple years ago and now I have the urge to flush my social life down the toilet again ahhhh..
Who was your mage?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I have a Wu's Quivering Staff to give away to the next low-level monk to message Hardon. I'm bound in FOB in case you're an iksar :)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

:words:

11am EST, kean will be PLing in kurns nonstop. Time to roll on red!

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Nobody's taken the wu's staff yet either. If you're on the fence about starting a character on red, make an iksar monk, get PL'd to 20, and take this awesome staff!!!

Also any way I could trade some plat for rubies? I could use some for my crafted set, and it would be nice to get them for less than they cost from the vendor =)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 14, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

HEY VAPER posted:

Nobody's taken the wu's staff yet either. If you're on the fence about starting a character on red, make an iksar monk, get PL'd to 20, and take this awesome staff!!!

Also any way I could trade some plat for rubies? I could use some for my crafted set, and it would be nice to get them for less than they cost from the vendor =)

How many / which gems do you need?

Gems work very well for plat transferring, just a few plat difference between buy/sell. Rubies can be bought for 132p, and sold for 123-127 depending on standing. I can help you with some, we have few hundred plat left over for helping newbies get started and some rubies for handouts.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

onesixtwo posted:

:words:

11am EST, kean will be PLing in kurns nonstop. Time to roll on red!

I guess I'll roll an Iksar Shaman and come since I want one anyway and I've been too lazy to actually accomplish anything on other characters recently.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
prolly gonna bring my wizard, and ginette is gonna bring his druid to the PL today if that's cool, trying to level up some alt porters

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Any other classes you guys leveling up need? I have a 51 enchanter I leveled up like a year ago when there was a massive exp bonus who has almost no gear, but I'm looking to start something else now as well. Monk is tempting if you still have that Wu's staff.

Chars are: Latege and Frake

Arakan fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 14, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Tanks, clerics, chanters

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

^^^ Yeah, those

If anyone is inclined to healing, as a guild we could really use a couple more clerics. As of now we have mine, Kawa, and Inmasomething. I'll personally make sure your cleric always gets xp.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

onesixtwo posted:

^^^ Yeah, those

If anyone is inclined to healing, as a guild we could really use a couple more clerics. As of now we have mine, Kawa, and Inmasomething. I'll personally make sure your cleric always gets xp.

Skullmonkey, 19 cleric hers

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm rolling an iksar SK instead of the halfling warrior, can anyone make a mule char in misty and a mule in FOB to help me transfer some items?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I am now in debt to the man for the amount of one (1) Woodsman's Staff. Yevea, please don't break my knees, ill get the money i swear

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
On Blue as Traman the Iksar Shaman! Got to level 5 and amazed how much like the old days this server is. Already sold a couple stacks of bone chips for some cash and was gifted some sort of agi belt by a passing monk.

Question: How does a completely new player gather spell money? I just don't see getting 30+pp by the time level 9 rolls around.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

On Blue as Traman the Iksar Shaman! Got to level 5 and amazed how much like the old days this server is. Already sold a couple stacks of bone chips for some cash and was gifted some sort of agi belt by a passing monk.

Question: How does a completely new player gather spell money? I just don't see getting 30+pp by the time level 9 rolls around.

You could ask for cash, I am sure someone would help you. Otherwise, those bone chips are going to add up. You are going to be rolling in them until level 20 or so if you stick around FOB. If you leave FOB and head to the mainland, hunt cats,bears and spiders. There is a good market for HQ pelts and silks.

Or just don't buy all of your level nine spells. pick them up when you have the chance.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Kean and I are pimping out a PK duo of shadowknights right now. Someone should make a bard or maybe a cleric to roll some faces with us. I'll help with gear and stuff if you're not already established on red too :)

WTF BEES posted:

Message Hardon and I'll give you a bunch of spell money next time I'm on :) Also, collect bone chips. If you're an iksar, you can also farm a lot of platinum in the sarnak fort once you get to your 20's. The sarnark tabards are worth 500 platinum, and the bracers of the hidden are worth up to 12,000 platinum. With some luck you can get quite rich in there, you'll never get PKed, and the exp isn't THAT much slower than MM/unrest/OT/etc.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 14, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

Kean and I are pimping out a PK duo of shadowknights right now. Someone should make a bard or maybe a cleric to roll some faces with us. I'll help with gear and stuff if you're not already established on red too :)

What level are you planning on chilling at? Or just going to level up as you murder?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

I Love You! posted:

What level are you planning on chilling at? Or just going to level up as you murder?

Level as we murder. I'm level 3 right now, he's somewhere sub-20. I think the plan is to meet up around level 20 ish and start the murder pack. I still need to farm my jboots and get MR gear, but I have my CoS, mith 2h, and some other good pieces.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I might throw together or monk or something at some point, but don't really have the twink gear yet to justify the process :( We'll see.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Just had a killer WW giant fort group with Kuraii and Prok. After Kurns, I highly recommending doing giants as a group. Nice controlled pulls and decent vendor trash. I think three forest loops dropped as well. Plus our capital city is like 45 seconds of travel away (vendors in zone too), assuming you're legit and are a lizard.

Edit:forgot to mention level range, we had dudes in group that were as low as level 19 and gained five or six levels throughout.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 15, 2014

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
By the way I'll buy old hand-me-down armor off of any of our SK's. Most of my slots are banded right now :)

Also if anyone wants to casually farm sarnak fort for bracers of the hidden with my druid, i'm going to need a set :)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

By the way I'll buy old hand-me-down armor off of any of our SK's. Most of my slots are banded right now :)

Also if anyone wants to casually farm sarnak fort for bracers of the hidden with my druid, i'm going to need a set :)

So will my ranger/bard so I'll take you up on that at some point :(

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Full small set of banded for whoever needs it..

e: one of my friends is also going to do a 5-20+ PL for my SK next time I'm on, but we want to have a full group. So, there will be another PL in the next day or two :)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 15, 2014

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

WTF BEES posted:

/t izzit Butts. Stairs. Protected.

That magic passphrase will getcha enough plat for spells for a bit. My mule is parked in EC. Welcome to Blue!

Also, HQ Bear Belts sell for 30pp or so, and HQ Cat aren't far behind. Do highpass in your teens if possible. Shralok Packs sell for 150-200pp. Shiny Brass Idols sell to raid guild members for 400-500pp...instantly.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

WTF BEES posted:

Oh hey, I saw you in FoB yesterday. :) You threw me a few pitiful buffs. I am Zliz the Iksar Monk.

I've been thinking about writing up a little "get going" solo guide for Iksars, so now is a good time. I am saving every copper, literally, in order to be able to afford a few good weapons and starting armor.

Grinding XP
To begin with, all should be centered around two things: Killing skeletons and doing the Curscale Armor Quest. As the first thing you do, go to East Cabilis and to the "Haggle Baron" building in the center (across from the Court of Pain Monk guild). Inside is a dude named Klok Mugruk. Hail him and go through the motions, and say "I will perform a small service". This will immediately give you an 8-slot bag and a quest to go fill it with 8 Curscale Skins.

Now head on out to the field. You main targets should be skeletons, as they drop cash, bone chips and often weapons (Kunark equivalent of rusty weapons), and of course the curscale wolf pups and cubs. As soon as your inventory is full, go to the ruins outside of Cabilis and sell, then go back. When you have 8 Curscale Skins, combine them and head back to Klok Mugruk and hand it in. You will get a little cash, good XP, and a random piece of cloth armor. Repeat repeat repeat! As soon as you have saved up around 5 gold and some silver, you can buy a Backpack, sold by a few different vendors in Cabilis. This is worth it so you don't have to go vendor constantly. Monks should save up 1 platinum and go for Medicine Bag, as they weigh only 0.4 each. Don't worry, hitting combine with random items in it won't destroy them like it did in classic. Monks, don't sweat the 14-stone weight limit too much, just don't be overweight too much strength-wise, as it will hinder your ability to flee for the guards.

At level 5 you will still gain a little XP for killing level 1 mobs, so particularly for melee classes, I recommend continuing the mass slaughter of level 1 and 2 mobs. You can mix in killing bugs and such also. If you've been going for the skeletons and curscale quest, you should have plenty of cash for your spells now.

At level 6 the gravy train comes to a bit of a stop as the level 1 mobs no longer give XP. There are still a fair amount of level 2+ mobs in the newbie area, but it is a pickle to get XP. Personally I continued grinding Curscale until level 8. Each hand-in gained me 1 blue bubble, so it was slow, but nice cash, and easy. I filled up two bags at a time (combine one as you go to save weight).

You should also have some class-specific quests you can do to mix it up, such as necromancer skullcap and monk bracers.

At level 8 the Curscale quest gives too little XP to make sense. You're now ready for "the pit", the huge pit in the center of FoB. Your main targets are bonecrawlers, iksar footpads, skeletons ("skeleton", not the bigger ones), large scorpions, and the carrion beetles.

At level 8/9/10, depending on class, you should gain a big boost in power due to new spells and/or abilities. As a Monk, I got upgraded fist damage (from 5/36 to 6/36), plus Tiger Claw, which greatly increased my offense. I could now grind the lower level mobs all day without break, and also go for scalebone skeleton, iksar bandit and greater scorpion.

If you're sick of FoB, you can also head out into the surround areas. Swamp of No Hope has mobs from level 1 up, but it is dangerous as there are trees and hills all over, making it easy to get ambushed. There are also almost no one else there. Lake of Ill Omen also supports newbies just outside of Cabilis, but with a lot more high level wandering mobs than the FoB newbie area.

Getting money
Skeletons drop bone chips plus weapons that vendor for about 2 gold each. Save all bone chips. Some might say that no one buys bone chips in Kunark since they're abundant, but I was lucky and sold all the 10 stacks of chips I had saved up to a ranger who was doing Cabilis faction work (quest to hand in 4 bone chips at at time). I got 5p per stack.

Generally speaking, I save everything and vendor it, and even exchange my copper in the bank. If you're lazy, destroy copper and skip looting items that vendor for mere coppers, such as spiderling legs and wolf scales.

Also save Spider Silk. No one will buy it in a newbie area, but I heard it sells for up to 10p per stack in EC, so it will come in handy later.

My next goal is to hit level 17, get Feign Death, grind it up, then make the dangerous journey to EC and buy some Monk gear. It just seems way too dangerous at my current level 11. :o

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Could log a druid for you tomorrow if you'd prefer to get your lizard out to EC. However, Kurns is pretty awesome XP so might be better to go afterwards.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
How do we feel about having non goons in the guild? A bunch of <Red> players who are chill want to join.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

HEY VAPER posted:

How do we feel about having non goons in the guild? A bunch of <Red> players who are chill want to join.

I'm ok with it. Let's get them in on the ground floor. That Hitsmo guy, for example, is an old zek player from Live who's actually fun to talk to. We discussed the best way to receive blumpkins last night. Is this love?

Special thanks to Kean for helping my enchanter reach 19 yesterday. Skullmonkey, my cleric, is ready to leave Kurns Tower... Giant fort today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

WTF BEES posted:

My druid is currently bound in Field of Bone so stick Enzz and Enzee on your friends list and message me if you see me online. Assuming I'm not in a group, I'll pop on over and give you some cash for your spells. Maybe PL a little bit.

I can port you out when/if you feel like ditching Kunark as well. You'll run into some issues with faction, but there are a few tricks and specific spots that make that sort of stuff much less of a big deal, and I can elaborate if need be. Just be prepared to deal with the trip back to Cabilis whenever you have to buy new spells, which isn't particularly dangerous but involves waiting a loooooong time for boats (and don't you dare try to take shortcuts by getting a port to Dreadlands because that will get you killed). If you want to get social though, it's definitely worth considering. People on blue don't group too much at lowish levels in Kunark, but there's tons of elves and poo poo who want to get together in EC/Oasis/Crushbone/Unrest/MM which will easily take you to your mid 30s with a good variety of places to choose from.

HEY VAPER posted:

Message Hardon and I'll give you a bunch of spell money next time I'm on :) Also, collect bone chips. If you're an iksar, you can also farm a lot of platinum in the sarnak fort once you get to your 20's. The sarnark tabards are worth 500 platinum, and the bracers of the hidden are worth up to 12,000 platinum. With some luck you can get quite rich in there, you'll never get PKed, and the exp isn't THAT much slower than MM/unrest/OT/etc.

He's on blue, yo.

Pilsner posted:

My next goal is to hit level 17, get Feign Death, grind it up, then make the dangerous journey to EC and buy some Monk gear. It just seems way too dangerous at my current level 11. :o

I left Kunark for Antonica at level 9 on my shaman, and even though I didn't know what the hell I was doing I made it there just fine. Ever since then I've been taking the Oasis<->TD<->OT boat back to get spells every few levels and really the only place you even run into mobs are some very low level ones in Warslik's just outside Cabilis. Stick to the edges of OT and you're extremely unlikely to have issues since there are almost never enemies and the sightlines are perfect. There's nothing at all in your direct path in Timorous Deep. As noted above, though, I don't see much reason to leave until ~20 on red.

• Locked thread