Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

My Militia commander just suddenly became the Queen; from what I understand, that means my Civilization just got destroyed outside, does that mean no more migrants or caravans? Is there any way to salvage this? I'm on 40_11.

Also, I got sieged by Elves (they got repelled by having half their numbers killed by Wild Ostriches, I just mopped up); but I am not at war with them and I received their caravans (same civ and all) both before and after the siege. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Stonefall traps only seem to be effective right now against Trolls and stuff that can't dodge too quickly. Weapon traps seem to be way less effective than before too - an enemy with enough dodge will trigger the trap and get away, leaving anyone following to get through fine until the trap resets.

I quite like the idea of a trap lined walkway with a severe drop either side. Just be aware that even a 5-z drop onto ground is not enough to kill most creatures, and a goblin that drops 5 levels but keeps his armour and weapons is still plenty dangerous to a new recruit even if they are fully equipped. Also remember that if you don't have a contingency plan to deal with injured but living goblins in your entry hall(even if they are just lying dying in a pit), civilians trying to go to work will drop what they are doing and lose their poo poo when they catch sight of them.

But still, for early sieges cage traps are king. They work 100% for trolls and goblins, no matter their skill level it seems. Put down a field or corridor of cage traps early and you only have to worry about trapavoid creatures like weres and titans.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dashticle posted:

Weapon traps seem to be way less effective than before too - an enemy with enough dodge will trigger the trap and get away, leaving anyone following to get through fine until the trap resets.
I thought weapon traps worked all day unless they got clogged with enemy bits?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Zereth posted:

I thought weapon traps worked all day unless they got clogged with enemy bits?

Apparently they take a few steps to reset (wiki) - seems legit from watching my traps. They don't need to be reset by a mechanic or anything, but they definitely don't seem to work straight away again after being triggered.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 12, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

Fight zombie horse and reclaim pecan logs.

This is the sentence that ended civilization. This is the note I left myself which more or less doomed my fortress.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

canepazzo posted:

My Militia commander just suddenly became the Queen; from what I understand, that means my Civilization just got destroyed outside, does that mean no more migrants or caravans? Is there any way to salvage this? I'm on 40_11.

Also, I got sieged by Elves (they got repelled by having half their numbers killed by Wild Ostriches, I just mopped up); but I am not at war with them and I received their caravans (same civ and all) both before and after the siege. What gives?

Are you sure it wasn't a goblin civ?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dreggon posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a goblin civ?

Nah, I checked on legends and the leader of that siege was a historical figure from that same civ that is sending me caravans. Could they have been bandits or something? The leader had a few elf kills.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Dashticle posted:

Stonefall traps only seem to be effective right now against Trolls and stuff that can't dodge too quickly. Weapon traps seem to be way less effective than before too - an enemy with enough dodge will trigger the trap and get away, leaving anyone following to get through fine until the trap resets.

I quite like the idea of a trap lined walkway with a severe drop either side. Just be aware that even a 5-z drop onto ground is not enough to kill most creatures, and a goblin that drops 5 levels but keeps his armour and weapons is still plenty dangerous to a new recruit even if they are fully equipped. Also remember that if you don't have a contingency plan to deal with injured but living goblins in your entry hall(even if they are just lying dying in a pit), civilians trying to go to work will drop what they are doing and lose their poo poo when they catch sight of them.

But still, for early sieges cage traps are king. They work 100% for trolls and goblins, no matter their skill level it seems. Put down a field or corridor of cage traps early and you only have to worry about trapavoid creatures like weres and titans.

You're probably not putting enough weapons in your weapon traps. A weapon trap can accept up to 10 weapons. A few copper saw blades and I was shredding trolls and GCS left and right.

The severe drop kind of trap relies on enemies dodging to work. So you put 10 wooden training spears in there you get 10 attacks and 10 attempts to dodge. If you can't dig a pit deep enough to just straight up kill whatever is trying to attack you just fill it with water (or magma).

Getting knocked out at the bottom of the fall means drowning fun for everyone.

Aug 24, 2011

this is weird, my magma forges don't work, my anvils (made of iron and imported) no longer seem to be usable and when I try to remake the forges it complains that the iron anvils aren't magma-safe? they're not being moved to a stockpile or anything.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dreggon posted:

this is weird, my magma forges don't work, my anvils (made of iron and imported) no longer seem to be usable and when I try to remake the forges it complains that the iron anvils aren't magma-safe? they're not being moved to a stockpile or anything.

Are they accidentially forbid? Try to unforbid them.

Aug 24, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Are they accidentially forbid? Try to unforbid them.

nope, (iron anvil), no {(iron anvil)}, no TSK, no F, no D, they're right next to the place I want to build

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Is your forge area completely disconnected from the workforce?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do you have a furniture stockpile they're not being moved to? If so I think the game doesn't check them because they have a job to be taken to them queued, so they're "taken", but if nobody's actually moving them...

Try putting one-tile furniture stockpiles under them and see if you can build forges.

Alternatively, how are they "not working"? Are no dwarves going near them? Check if they're still accessible. Maybe you blocked off a stairway somehow or a tree grew in a soil layer tunnel blocking it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's the difference (if any) between manual assigned jobs and manager? I had an order on the manager for some armor, and the appropriate jobs queued in the forge, but both armorsmiths were idling with no job. I cancelled the manager order and manually queued the armor in the forges, and the smiths started smithing.

Aug 24, 2011

OK I guess TSK didn't show up and forbidding/unforbidding didn't work until a dwarf picked up an anvil and I told him to piss off. Although even built over magma the forge isn't lighting up so :v:

e: I guess... now they're doing it...? :psydwarf:

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 12, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Don't upright spike traps do damage to stuff landing on top of them from a fall? So line the bottom of your dodgepit with spikes!

Is there a way to use workflow to make my gem setters encrust a particular object? I have a Large Gem that I want to turn into the biggest, gaudiest disco ball that has ever existed. I could do it with stockpile settings and stuff now that Toady fixed the weirdness with gem finished goods, but if there's an easier way I'm all for it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The GUI thing lets you. Queue the craftgoods encrusting reaction in the workshop, highlight it and press Alt-A (by default). Then you can just filter the encrustee input into just large gems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can also use gui/job-material for a single job.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

canepazzo posted:

What's the difference (if any) between manual assigned jobs and manager? I had an order on the manager for some armor, and the appropriate jobs queued in the forge, but both armorsmiths were idling with no job. I cancelled the manager order and manually queued the armor in the forges, and the smiths started smithing.

There should literally be no difference. Do you have workshop profiles for those shops enabled?

Subjunctive posted:

You can also use gui/job-material for a single job.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#id174

gui/workshop-job is also very handy.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 12, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Don't upright spike traps do damage to stuff landing on top of them from a fall? So line the bottom of your dodgepit with spikes!

I prefer mastercrafted upright steel spears

nothing survives. NOTHING (except trapavoid :argh:)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
New devlog.

quote:

I handled a lighting issue with trees, concerning how subterranean tiles became messed up after digging below the trunk. Then I worked with grazing animals and pastures. The relationship between animal size and the amount of grass necessary now uses a fractional exponent properly, so that larger critters can survive, and they won't drift and clump in the top left parts of pastures. They'll also prefer denser grass tiles when they are available, to stop them from starving between fresh sparse grass in large pastures.

Does this mean no more inside-but-considered-outside farms?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

necrotic posted:

New devlog.

Does this mean no more inside-but-considered-outside farms?

I think that means that elephants finally survive after all this years of starving while eating.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My favorite grazer bug death is still tame elk birds. If you attempt to breed them the mom will starve to death sitting on the nest waiting for the eggs to hatch.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I didn't bother with magic the last time I played with Masterwork, so I've made a couple mages this time, including a Cleric Healer. He wanders around and randomly gives a small speed and healing bonus to dwarves, which is ok I guess. I lose two dwarves while cleaning up after a siege due to an unfortunate accident involving weapon traps and some contaminants, and while their remains are being brought down to the tombs I get this message box:

:stare: Surely this can't be the work of that mediocre Cleric Healer, can it?

But the weird thing is, the weapon trap sawed off a couple limbs. They were already in his coffin when he revived. Maybe I should leave them there for when he eventually dies again?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

I think that means that elephants finally survive after all this years of starving while eating.

I was specifically referring to the bold part. Although taming elephants will be amazing by itself.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yup. However, they also seem to miss quite a bit in some cases. Here's one example of a Mechanic who was on the wagon bridge at the wrong time and got dropped 2z's on a set of 4 spikes.

Click here for the full 1265x107 image

I noticed it happening too the odd time while dropping prisoners into a spike pit that was tiered between 7 and 11 z's deep, every so often they seemed to get missed by the spikes on a tile they land on with the same 'Spinning *menacing spike* misses the guy' spam. Some just get lucky with the way they bounce I guess, just be aware they're not always fatal so be ready to drown them or finish them some other way.

Spanish Matlock posted:

The severe drop kind of trap relies on enemies dodging to work. So you put 10 wooden training spears in there you get 10 attacks and 10 attempts to dodge. If you can't dig a pit deep enough to just straight up kill whatever is trying to attack you just fill it with water (or magma).

What put me off weapon traps was the need to stack 10 decentish weapons on one tile with no guarantee of doing much damage. I never thought of just building a bunch of weapon traps with lovely weapons in them to make people dodge off the walkway. My last design I used water from a cistern above the walkway to knock them onto the spikes and drown the survivors in one go. Was a lot of work, but very fun.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Has anyone else had trouble trying to kill an undead skull? A horse skull greatly contributed to the doom of my fortress. Not only could no one injure it, but the game would not allow them to cancel fighting it (even if their squad's order was cancelled, the dwarf removed from the squad, nothing).

I think this may be a bug ..which is too bad. Apart from causing dwarves to become obsessed with destroying it, the horse skull was a great way to boost their dodge, fighter, and weapon skills.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dashticle posted:

What put me off weapon traps was the need to stack 10 decentish weapons on one tile with no guarantee of doing much damage. I never thought of just building a bunch of weapon traps with lovely weapons in them to make people dodge off the walkway. My last design I used water from a cistern above the walkway to knock them onto the spikes and drown the survivors in one go. Was a lot of work, but very fun.

With a good weaponsmith that will poo poo out masterwork swords because he needs the XP this is no problem. They are worth so much you can barely sell them all, and masterwork iron weapons are surpisingly good.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I don't understand why you don't just make serrated metal discs :confused:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

Manager do this:
If you have one assigned, you can create a new order with U-M-Q
You can type in what you want. Let's say you want 30 doors. You type in rock doors, input 30 and the manager will automatically create those jobs at all available workshops,

Basically you don't have to Q over a workshop and task every item indiviudally.

e: How can you run 150 dwarf fortress and not go crazy without a manager :psyduck:

One problem though: say you have 3 forges, one each for your weaponsmith, armorsmith, and one for your metalsmith. If you then queue up 30 jobs each for breastplates, greaves, gauntlets, and high boots, the manager will divide those jobs up among the 3 forges so that the weaponsmith and armorsmith can no longer work. Even setting specified workshop profiles hasn't fixed this for me.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Neurion posted:

I don't understand why you don't just make serrated metal discs :confused:

Why bother with metal? That's what glass is for. A Cuisinart to fit every fort entrance.

E: Can you manually restrain dwarves with ropes/chains like you can animals? I usually use a kitten or tethered goat or whatever to entice goblins into the grinder, but I'd also love to use useless haulers and/or nobles.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So it looks like indeed, my dwarf became Queen cause the last fortress other than mine got conquered. However, I still got a caravan and liaison the next season, as well as 2 waves of migrants since (must say they were smaller than I expect at this point, 12-15 each when normally by this point I'm getting the 30-40s waves).

Question - with the new living world, is it possible to "seed" your civilization back? Say, retire current fort, start a new one, retire, start a new one, retire etc. 5-6 times and then unretire the first one? Will the other forts get migrants somehow? Will they grow at all?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

canepazzo posted:

So it looks like indeed, my dwarf became Queen cause the last fortress other than mine got conquered. However, I still got a caravan and liaison the next season, as well as 2 waves of migrants since (must say they were smaller than I expect at this point, 12-15 each when normally by this point I'm getting the 30-40s waves).

Question - with the new living world, is it possible to "seed" your civilization back? Say, retire current fort, start a new one, retire, start a new one, retire etc. 5-6 times and then unretire the first one? Will the other forts get migrants somehow? Will they grow at all?

Yes. Sort of.

Each new fort will generate 7 dwarfs from the aether. I think you are also guaranteed at least the first two migration waves as well. If your civilization was just destroyed, chances are that there are quite a few dwarf refugees from your nation who may turn up as well. Get the fort secure, and retire. I wouldn't count on your retired forts getting immigrants, they might still spawn children though.

Start a new fort, get 7 + ??? free dwarfs. After a while you may start getting dwarfs from your previous fort as immigrants. If you don't want that, retire the fort.

Repeat, until you you have generated many groups of 7 + ??? and your civilization may have hundreds of members.

The big problem is that in an all NPC siege the invaders always win. Some of the defenders may escape as refugees, but they always lose the territory. So if whatever killed all your civilization's other sites decides to attack your retired forts, they will auto-win. Even if you left your forts with a large military decked out in masterpiece steel armor, they will auto lose to goblins in copper or even elves in wooden armor. At this point you can't send out your own NPC armies to counter-attack. Other NPC sites controlled by your civilization can try to reconquer lost sites, and if they do they will auto-win each site back, but there is no way to make them do it.

What you can do after seeding many small settlements is let a large prosperous settlement run for a few years, bleeding off many of those generated dwarfs as immigrants. This will let you form one big strong, well skilled mountain home. If you lift the pop cap and child cap, they can breed into a mighty civilization of hundreds or even thousands under your guidance. But just in that one big strong settlement. You can make them strong enough with a full 100 expert soldiers in the best equipment so that you know there is no force on the continent that can stand against them. But you can't actually make them prove it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I do think that once the bugfixing period is over, Toadys next aim should be to make off site battles happen - that way we can really get back to rebuilding lost Dwarven civs - also it should be something he can do in a few months rather than taking two years......

You know what, I'm just wishing now.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

One problem though: say you have 3 forges, one each for your weaponsmith, armorsmith, and one for your metalsmith. If you then queue up 30 jobs each for breastplates, greaves, gauntlets, and high boots, the manager will divide those jobs up among the 3 forges so that the weaponsmith and armorsmith can no longer work. Even setting specified workshop profiles hasn't fixed this for me.

I agree that this is indeed a problem I sometimes run into as well.

Aug 24, 2011

OK anyone tell me what's going on here?

I noticed all these merchant items were all on a single tile, as though the unit carrying them had dropped them all. I didn't seize them but the merchants have left and now I'm stuck with all this crap which I didn't want. This isn't the first time it's happened either.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dreggon posted:

OK anyone tell me what's going on here?

I noticed all these merchant items were all on a single tile, as though the unit carrying them had dropped them all. I didn't seize them but the merchants have left and now I'm stuck with all this crap which I didn't want. This isn't the first time it's happened either.

That happens when the pack-animal or wagon carrying all that poo poo gets killed, or possibly frightened away, one of those. Naturally, your civ is blamed for the loss of goods, but on the other hand, you just got a bunch of free goods to either practice decorating (which turns it into YOUR goods, and boosts value), use as ammo, or if it's metal goods or over-sized armor, something to keep your designated melt smelter fed.

Granted, you have to get your merry band of assholes to risk going out and picking it all up without being killed or frightend by a rat skeleton or some poo poo.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

If the pack animal falls unconscious for even an instant, it drops everything it was carrying. You do get blamed for the loss, but that looks like dwarven poo poo. There aren't any consequences for that, as you'll never be sieged by your own civ. Elves and Humans do get a little pissed off.

edit: actually I'm not 100% sure if the pack animals have to die or if they can drop their stuff if rendered unconscious.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 14, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

El Disco posted:

If the pack animal falls unconscious for even an instant, it drops everything it was carrying. You do get blamed for the loss, but that looks like dwarven poo poo. There aren't any consequences for that, as you'll never be sieged by your own civ.
I think their profit/loss affects how many pack animals/wagons show up next year, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Zereth posted:

I think their profit/loss affects how many pack animals/wagons show up next year, actually.

It does.