Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/umbrellas-kill

quote:

A short film about a man's fight to ban oversized umbrellas in New York. We'll hear from victims, an umbrella historian, emergency workers, politicians, etc.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-powered-umbrella-concept

quote:

he Air-umbrella seems like something from a syfy movie but with enough backing from people like you and time, it something that could be very possible. At the heart the concept seem pretty easy just shot some air out of one end and bye-bye rain. Of course it isn’t that easy, there a whole bunch of engineering and math

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/umbrella-of-damocles

quote:

Umbrella of Damocles is a surreal dark comedy about an accidental (yet fatal) umbrella wound to the head and a friends dying wish.

umbrellas - how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is the Unbrella revolution upon us? I knew China Mieville was a mad god, but a propheseer as well? The Tomes must be consulted, there's no time to lose.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Perhaps we could combine this much improved tinder app with the umbrella app to join together singles under an umbrella

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2139739664/hook-up-app-with-rating-and-locals-finder

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You really kind of have to step back and wonder what you've done with your life if you consider yourself an "umbrella historian".

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
This umbrella thing can't be serious.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Japanese Phone Box posted:

This umbrella thing can't be serious.

It seems that the hordes of Kickstarter spenders are most apt to bite when the item is both ironic and functional in some unique, look-at-me sort of way. That way the project gets lots of interest for being ridiculous, but a set percentage of those people will say "It's ridiculous... but I want it." Then they can own the dumb umbrella from the dumb kickstarter and feel good about owning a dumb thing that they can tell people they bought from kickstarter. They supported a dumb thing for the hell of it, because it was funny and interesting, because modern people love to talk about liking things before they were cool, and because buying worthless things because they are uniquely dumb makes the buyer a special kind of snowflake.

You're not buying an umbrella. You're buying the ability to tell people about your dumb umbrella and how you supported it on kickstarter. If the person you're trying to impress says it's cool, you can feel cool about yourself for buying something cool before it was cool. If they say it's retarded, you can say that you bought it ironically because it was so dumb that you just had to own it to show people how dumb it is. Buying this umbrella is impervious to criticism.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

I remember the first time I played Caesar III. This is a wonderful amazingly smart game that makes me feel that the city lives its own life even after I finish playing. This feeling stays with me all these years. You can spend hours observing the city without interfering in its life: the plebs and the patricians, the merchants and the students – all in balance. This game gives me much pleasure during many days. When you govern this Roman city, when you construct new buildings and take care about its citizen’s health, when you bargain with neighbors and wait for the barbarians besieges, you can feel yourself the governor known even in Rome.

CaesarIA aims to expand the possibilities of the classical city-building simulators and to add new features showing the city life. Now the game work with following OS: Windows, Linux, Mac, Haiku and Android.

Until this time I spend my own money developing this game and sometime I get help from out but not only with money, a small group of the games funs supports me with AI and code. Now the project is at the stage when it’s impossible to develop it without new textures, buildings, sounds and other materials. It’s required not less than 10000$ to update all graphic resources. Also it can help to avoid pretensions from the holder’s side and make possible the legal release of the remake for computers and tablets.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/caesaria-divide-et-empera

"Please pay me $10,0000 to steal the art assets from Caesar III and remake the game engine, copying the design exactly."

Would be a really cool fan project if it required you to own Caesar III and they weren't asking for money. The names and the broken English translation makes it seem like they're all from Russia so they probably just don't give a poo poo. It does at least sound like the plan is to eventually replace the artwork, but advertising it using Caesar III assets is bullshit, and if they do replace them of course they're just going to copy it directly and scale up the resolution a bit.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/caesaria-divide-et-empera

"Please pay me $10,0000 to steal the art assets from Caesar III and remake the game engine, copying the design exactly."

Would be a really cool fan project if it required you to own Caesar III and they weren't asking for money. The names and the broken English translation makes it seem like they're all from Russia so they probably just don't give a poo poo. It does at least sound like the plan is to eventually replace the artwork, but advertising it using Caesar III assets is bullshit, and if they do replace them of course they're just going to copy it directly and scale up the resolution a bit.
Uhhhh, that's actually what it is: https://bitbucket.org/dalerank/caesaria/wiki/Home

CaesarIA is an open-source remake of the game engine requiring you to own Caesar III, and the crowdfunding campaign is just to support development as well as fund new legal assets that would make it standalone. It's not unheard of.

I doubt they'll raise $10k though, as open-source communities are very averse to money.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Look what's made it to steam!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No loving way. I thought that would be a shoo-in for breaking some content guidelines or even just an arbitrary company veto. I'm really looking forward to the wordy, in depth reviews praising the game's deep and nuanced story and well rounded(!) characters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No loving way. I thought that would be a shoo-in for breaking some content guidelines or even just an arbitrary company veto. I'm really looking forward to the wordy, in depth reviews praising the game's deep and nuanced story and well rounded(!) characters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The top tag is currently 'horror', seems fair.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can't tell if this game is a SJW exercise in gender fluidity or just anime...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I can't tell if this game is a SJW exercise in gender fluidity or just anime...

There's nothing 'SJW' about it, it's a dorky game for gender transformation fetishists. The top review is actually someone complaining there it badly misrepresents transgenderism, apparently oblivious it's really nakedly fapbait.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Get away from all this terribleness and just buy Hatoful Boyfriend.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No loving way. I thought that would be a shoo-in for breaking some content guidelines or even just an arbitrary company veto.
Haha, you think Steam has standards.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

TetsuoTW posted:

Haha, you think Steam has standards.

Well no matter if it's believing in Steam or humanity or whatever I just died a little inside.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There's nothing 'SJW' about it, it's a dorky game for gender transformation fetishists. The top review is actually someone complaining there it badly misrepresents transgenderism, apparently oblivious it's really nakedly fapbait.

Fair enough. Is the game with disabled girls on Steam by the way?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Fair enough. Is the game with disabled girls on Steam by the way?

The what

e: ugh that is a thing i feel dirty now

ranbo das has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Sep 10, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/about.php

It's not on Steam, no.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
My favourite review for DNA Bender Twister Extreme Gender is the jihad poem some dude wrote. A lot of people didn't see the humour though...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Welp that's enough internet for today. :smith:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This one actually succeeded... it's just a stylus for tablets.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thenotouchpen/the-no-touch-pen-the-original-germ-defense-pen

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

So it's like a stick? or any regular old piece of plastic? And they sell them for 20 bucks. Nice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wow they won by a hair didn't they? I wonder how much of that money was by a generous benefactor in the last minute

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ranbo das posted:

The what

e: ugh that is a thing i feel dirty now

Old poo poo is old. Also, blame 4chan

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow they won by a hair didn't they? I wonder how much of that money was by a generous benefactor in the last minute

According to Kicktraq, it looks like a third of the money was contributed by a few backers making much larger donations than everyone else in the last few days of funding.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

So I'm guessing that's a kind of scam when the founders chuck enough money in at the last minute to tip it over the total so they get all the money, then but a bunch of cheap $2 styluses and keep the rest?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Who's to say it's not a take the money and run situation. As long as the fees they pay on the money used to boost themselves is less than the amount they get from suckers, it's a profitable scam. Sad thing is I'm willing to bet a lot of those "legit" backers are friends and family

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morglon posted:

So it's like a stick? or any regular old piece of plastic? And they sell them for 20 bucks. Nice.

No, those are a legitimate thing. The tip is soft plastic so it won't scratch. They also cost about 15 cents; companies often give them away as advertising, so you can acquire them by the score at industry trade shows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't they need to be made out of a different material than normal plastic to work on capacitive touch screens?

It's probably not very expensive to make them, of course.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Zereth posted:

Don't they need to be made out of a different material than normal plastic to work on capacitive touch screens?

They do, but it's just a small rubber tip. As said above, it's common to get branded advertising ones for free. I have some BAE ones kicking around from a sponsored event somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zereth posted:

I honestly couldn't say. I have one here that was given away with a $3 screen protector, though, so they can't be dear.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Morglon posted:

Just more evidence that Kickstarter is more of a marketing tool than a innovators tool. On Kickstarter you can take products that already exist, brand them for an alternative purpose, and just see if they can convert at the new price point you've given them.

To be honest i find these products so much more offensive than Kickstarters that are just plain bad. At least those are trying, just poorly, these ones are borne out of, and reward, a very cynical worldview that contributes nothing special or new.

Edit: that's not to say innovative products don't succeed, they do and make serious bank, its just annoying seeing all this mediocre rebranding poo poo of existing products turn a profit.

Maluco Marinero has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Sep 13, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You can buy those styluses at the Dollar Tree. :ughh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To be fair, if you want a good one — i.e. one with a slightly thinner and more rigid tip, and a good grip — for extensive pen-like usage of a tablet, you probably have to look around for a bit. It's still something you can go out and get for next to nothing in less than an hour of searching.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In a pack of three for $5 dollars. It's not even $3 per stylus.

msyronfire
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388011235/instant-artist-drawing-tool-z-stand?ref=popular

have you ever considered becoming a different kind of lovely artist? well here's your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

msyronfire posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388011235/instant-artist-drawing-tool-z-stand?ref=popular

have you ever considered becoming a different kind of lovely artist? well here's your chance.
I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to kickstart iphone tracing paper.