Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 is a pretty drat good movie. Hicks and Newt were good in Aliens, but they did all they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 is a pretty drat good movie. Hicks and Newt were good in Aliens, but they did all they could.
The comics took their characterizations in interesting directions, but I'm still okay with what Alien3 did.

Alien3 is a good but deeply flawed movie. It's telling a tragic story that a lot of people didn't want to see after the gung-ho uplifting high-fives ending of 'Aliens', not to mention it was hamstrung by production problems and near-constant studio interference.
The extended edition is better in a lot of ways, although there's a lot of stuff from the theatrical cut that I prefer. My "ideal" version would be a sort of blend of the two versions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

I never saw them as particularly important in Aliens, so focusing the serie son them instead of Ripley just feel weird to me.

Which reminds me: one of the thing that bugs me about Colonial Marines is the main character. One of the most interesting things about the Alien series has always been it's lead: Ripley. Not many movies had a female main character. So it's pretty strange that so few of the Alien derived works have female main characters. Colonial Marines had you playing boring white marine number 43, who was impossible to distinguish from multiple other marines in the game. The game didn't even attempt to redo the original Alien twist, where it would switch protagonist midway through. Hell, there's only two major female characters in the game, and one of them gets fridged in a terribly stupid manner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alien 3 is an okay movie that has the misfortune of following up two classics. It was also the beginning of the franchise becoming commercialized dogshit.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This thread is like the Aliens franchise. It refuses to die with dignity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Needs to have something good before it can die with dignity.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

MonsieurChoc posted:

I never saw them as particularly important in Aliens, so focusing the serie son them instead of Ripley just feel weird to me.

Newt is actually super important in Aliens but only in relation to Ripley (though this is made more obvious when you watch one of the deleted scenes).

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which reminds me: one of the thing that bugs me about Colonial Marines is the main character. One of the most interesting things about the Alien series has always been it's lead: Ripley. Not many movies had a female main character. So it's pretty strange that so few of the Alien derived works have female main characters. Colonial Marines had you playing boring white marine number 43, who was impossible to distinguish from multiple other marines in the game. The game didn't even attempt to redo the original Alien twist, where it would switch protagonist midway through. Hell, there's only two major female characters in the game, and one of them gets fridged in a terribly stupid manner.

You're in luck Ripley's daughter is the protagonist in the next game even though it makes almost as little or less sense than Hicks surviving!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Newt is actually super important in Aliens but only in relation to Ripley (though this is made more obvious when you watch one of the deleted scenes).

You're in luck Ripley's daughter is the protagonist in the next game even though it makes almost as little or less sense than Hicks surviving!

Ehh. Not really. I mean, Ripley's daughter dies anyway. Either they can call it a cover up, or something similar. They have more freedom to play with the canon than with Hicks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ripley's daughter dies as an old woman so unless A:I is the adventures of a badass grandmother she isn't dying in that one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Alien 3 owns, haters vacate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ripley's Daughter, who is basically Ripley without a license to use Sigourney Weaver's likeness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ripley's Daughter, who is basically Ripley without a license to use Sigourney Weaver's likeness.

Didn't they specifically get Sigourney Weaver's likeness to use in the A:I DLC?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

ImpAtom posted:

Ripley's daughter dies as an old woman so unless A:I is the adventures of a badass grandmother she isn't dying in that one.

In interviews, when asked about this, they've said stuff like "Well, Ripley was shown a photo of an old woman...", so they're basically gonna go in whatever direction they want, and say that Ripley was lied to if anything conflicts.

...Actually, having the protagonist be Ripley's daughter is the exact sort of thing a publisher would force a developer to do, and the above sounds exactly like what a dev would do to get around that situation, but I haven't heard anything about the decision one way or the other. Has anyone come out and said who decided that?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Yodzilla posted:

It doesn't, but the recut version is better and makes more sense. Killing off Tywin so early was a really poor move.

The best part about Alien 3 is reading about the history of its production (and the possibly and sometimes definitely even worse scrips that were developed before Fincher was brought in to try to salvage what little could be salvaged).

Alien 3, like all the sequels that came after it (same case with Terminator after Terminator 2), should've never happened and the series left after the first sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they specifically get Sigourney Weaver's likeness to use in the A:I DLC?
Yes.

Cheston posted:

In interviews, when asked about this, they've said stuff like "Well, Ripley was shown a photo of an old woman...", so they're basically gonna go in whatever direction they want, and say that Ripley was lied to if anything conflicts.

...Actually, having the protagonist be Ripley's daughter is the exact sort of thing a publisher would force a developer to do, and the above sounds exactly like what a dev would do to get around that situation, but I haven't heard anything about the decision one way or the other. Has anyone come out and said who decided that?
It's very likely that it was a FOX mandate - they've been a lot more hands-on with Alien "expanded universe" stuff as of late and have actually been trying to tie a lot of it together. The Alien novel 'Out of the Shadows' that came out in like January has Ripley as the main character in a massive retcon where she actually woke up post 'Alien', had an adventure, and then had her memory wiped before going back into cryosleep and drifting onward to the events of 'Aliens'.

I'm not joking.

It's executed a bit better than that, and it has a resurrected subroutine of Ash (the android from 'Alien') popping up and causing some trouble, and if you ignore the Ripley parts it's a pretty neat story with interesting characters since Ripley isn't really even the main character. But according to the author, Ripley's inclusion was mandated by FOX. Ripley's inclusion doesn't really help the book, but the author does the best with what he's got to work with in order to keep it from reading like lovely fan-fiction, which is about all you can expect.
I wouldn't be surprised if Amanda Ripley's inclusion in Isolation was a similar FOX mandate, but I'd have to do some digging to see if the developers have said as much.

FOX has also been more hands-on in having the new comic series, new novel trilogy, W-Y Report, and Isolation tie together with each other and reference each other.
In another wacky retcon, apparently the new 'Aliens' comic series is going to reveal that not all of the Hadley's Hope colonists got killed by the Aliens, and that some of them actually managed to ditch the colony when poo poo started falling apart and managed to escape the planet in some kind of short-range shuttle. All kinds of retcons up in this bitch. :suicide:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't, but the recut version is better and makes more sense. Killing off Tywin so early was a really poor move.

No, that was the best move. It added so much to how helpless and lonely Ripley is. It's such a perfectly nihlistic film, with probably the best ending in the whole series. (Original version) The music is a huge part of why that scene works. I would say Elliot's score is the best of all the films. Easily.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gas this thread, christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the only thread that's basically Alien.Txt, so no, I will not kiss all of this bullshit goodbye!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

^^^There's the Alien: Isolation thread but it's dead for now (like the franchise).

The 3 Alien movies were the only good things in the franchise. Everything else including comic books is pretty bad in comparison, like it's on a completely different fanfiction level.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

^^^There's the Alien: Isolation thread but it's dead for now (like the franchise).

The 3 Alien movies were the only good things in the franchise. Everything else including comic books is pretty bad in comparison, like it's on a completely different fanfiction level.
There's a good amount of fan-fictiony Aliens comics, but it's got some gems. I'm a huge fan of Aliens: Labyrinth - it's got a great balance between the horror of 'Alien' and the action of 'Aliens' with a good group of memorable characters, some seriously crazy body-horror on the level of the "egg-morphing" deleted scene from 'Alien', and one hell of a classy ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpek posted:

I remember in one of the Alien sequel books they encountered Space Jockies and they just looked like big elephant heads with helmets on. I think they threw rocks or something at Not Newt and Not Hicks.

That's pretty much why I was OK with the Jockies in Prometheus. Beats the hell out of giant elephants.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

'The Weyland Yutani Report', basically a spiritual successor to the Colonial Marines Technical Manual from years ago.

Probably the best Aliens news in years. I'm tempted by the comics too.

MonsieurChoc posted:

So it's pretty strange that so few of the Alien derived works have female main characters. Colonial Marines had you playing boring white marine number 43, who was impossible to distinguish from multiple other marines in the game.

I think if you ran the stats, most of the AVP extended universe stuff would end up with female leads. Could be my memory acting up though.

Yodzilla posted:

This.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glitchkrieg posted:

Probably the best Aliens news in years. I'm tempted by the comics too.
The artwork is going to be pretty great, if nothing else.

glitchkrieg posted:

I think if you ran the stats, most of the AVP extended universe stuff would end up with female leads. Could be my memory acting up though.
This is true, although it's less true in the videogames for whatever reason. Aside from the obligatory movie-based games where you play as Ripley, to date there have only been 3 female player characters in Aliens videogames, and 2 of them were in expansion packs/DLC (the Corporate chapter of the AvP 2 expansion pack, and the first chapter of the Colonial Marines "Stasis Interrupted" DLC) and the third is Isolation.
In the comics and novels and whatever, there's a better representation of female leads.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

CelticPredator posted:

No, that was the best move. It added so much to how helpless and lonely Ripley is. It's such a perfectly nihlistic film, with probably the best ending in the whole series. (Original version) The music is a huge part of why that scene works. I would say Elliot's score is the best of all the films. Easily.

Nope. Especially weird to make that claim when the movie's quality nosedives after that point, too.

Alien 3 isn't bad (and everything coming after makes it look even better in retrospect) but it certainly isn't good which is totally understandable considering its preproduction, production, and postproduction.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 12, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, I'm not going to go back and fourth with you, but I very much disagree. Their death provided some of the best scenes in the franchise. (Dillon's speech/Alien Chestbursting/Weaver's acting)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nope. Especially weird to make that claim when the movie's quality nosedives after that point, too.

Alien 3 isn't bad (and everything coming after makes it look even better in retrospect) but it certainly isn't good which is totally understandable considering its preproduction, production, and postproduction.
I'm with Celtic on this one. I totally get why people were upset that Hicks/Newt/Bishop died, but given the movie they were trying to make (really dark and nihilistic/fatalistic), picking them off makes sense. Likewise, as cool as Charles Dance is, he had to die as well because that's what the movie is about - the Alien follows Ripley wherever she goes, and it destroys everything she comes into contact with like an uncontrollable force of nature.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I'm with Celtic on this one.

Let me be the first to offer absolutely no surprise at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

alf_pogs posted:

Let me be the first to offer absolutely no surprise at all.

But there really wasn't anything fanboyish about that at all? In fact most Alien fan boys I know of think killing off Hicks was the worst thing the franchise has done.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alien 3 has problems, but killing off Hicks and Newt isn't one of them. In fact I think it's the strongest thematic and creatively resonant choice in that entire movie, apart from maybe the ending.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Given how hard Fincher was hosed over during the whole process I'm surprised what we got was as decent as is was. As it is now days when I want to watch it I put on the Assembly Cut right up until "You loving android!" then change to the theatrical. I have no idea why they decided to cut the incredibly powerful climax in half for that.

Also the soundtrack is loving incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXN96n5mLY

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

blackguy32 posted:

But there really wasn't anything fanboyish about that at all? In fact most Alien fan boys I know of think killing off Hicks was the worst thing the franchise has done.

I dunno if you've noticed but Xenomrph is that weird kind of fanboy that defends almost everything in the franchise even when it fucks with the stuff from the better entries.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

adamantium|wang posted:

Given how hard Fincher was hosed over during the whole process I'm surprised what we got was as decent as is was.

Decent? :psyduck: How could anyone think what we got was even decent? The Assembly cut is definitely better, but only makes that film bearable. The film is raw rear end and it's soundtrack is forgettable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sire Oblivion posted:

Decent? :psyduck: How could anyone think what we got was even decent? The Assembly cut is definitely better, but only makes that film bearable. The film is raw rear end and it's soundtrack is forgettable.

Hmm, its like judging a film is a subjective process. I mean not as good as Alien or Aliens is still pretty drat good. Hell, Alien 3 is probably still better than 90 percent of the sci-fi/horror films out there.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
The problem with that is 90 percent or more of anything is bad. It's not pretty good, but it does look a lot worse because of what it had to follow. It's not even surprising it's mediocre at best if you look at how it was put together it never had a chance to be a good film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Look at this post. Look at how wrong it is.

Look.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Has it ever been touched on or have explored the idea for alternatives Xenomorph life cycles? Like the whole needing a host or queen as the only method of reproduction seems kinda flimsy, what if in a situation they loving can't use facehuggers occur, what then? . The best I could find with is the Alien 3 script where *not a zombie virus* was turning people into xenos.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

Has it ever been touched on or have explored the idea for alternatives Xenomorph life cycles? Like the whole needing a host or queen as the only method of reproduction seems kinda flimsy, what if in a situation they loving can't use facehuggers occur, what then? . The best I could find with is the Alien 3 script where *not a zombie virus* was turning people into xenos.
In the 'Alien' director's cut you had egg-morphing where an Alien would goop someone up and they'd slowly mutate into an egg - that was the original egg creation method when they were making the movie. So when they're exploring the Derelict ship early in the movie and Lambert asks "Where's the rest of the crew...?" and then Kane finds the egg chamber, the unspoken revelation for the audience is that those eggs were the crew.
That's since been mostly retconned out, though.

The second AvP movie had the Predalien barfing Alien embryos directly down people's throats, no facehugger required.

And then Resurrection had the mutated life cycle where the Newborn was born without needing a host at all.

Outside of that, the comics and games and whatever have been pretty reluctant to mess with the Alien life cycle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

I'm picturing a DLC that's the opposite of the one for Colonial Marines where some mercenaries switch up stuff to make you think she lived!!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

Alien 3 has problems, but killing off Hicks and Newt isn't one of them. In fact I think it's the strongest thematic and creatively resonant choice in that entire movie, apart from maybe the ending.

Agreed. To me the issue isn't that they were killed, but that the interplay between Clemens and Andrews goes away so fast because they both get killed so early and one after the other. And due to the haphazard production of the movie in general this was where they ran out of script writing and just needed to finish a story. There's sort of a gap there character wise. Charles S. Dutton and Paul McGann are both really strong but in the theatrically released version of the movie there's no real thematic context to their actions (I mean McGann is only even in the theatrical one for like ten seconds). I still can't believe how bad Alien 3 is in its theatrical state and how good it is in its work print state.

Palpek posted:

I find these two games interesting design-wise because I feel like every goofy alien design/android thing/plot twist ever done in the endless stream of lovely comics and novels was done in these except these games are a lot of fun at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdbfg7EKI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr3DBiDAt2Y

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 13, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SirDrone posted:

Has it ever been touched on or have explored the idea for alternatives Xenomorph life cycles? Like the whole needing a host or queen as the only method of reproduction seems kinda flimsy, what if in a situation they loving can't use facehuggers occur, what then? .

If we go by Prometheus they're a biologically engineered weapon so it doesn't matter if they can't find hosts.

If we go by the fact it's just scary and creepy and we shouldn't overthink things than it's just scary and creepy and the queen thematically connects to Ripley losing her daughter and being a mother figure/protector with Newt. We're also talking about creatures that never eat (though they do in the Starbeast script) and have acid for blood (which is just to justify not shooting it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If we go by Prometheus they're a biologically engineered weapon so it doesn't matter if they can't find hosts.
Not so fast there, that goofy looking thing at the end of Prometheus isn't an Alien. The Engineers may have been creating bioweapons from the Aliens, but the Aliens themselves predated what we saw in the movie - you can spot Aliens depicted in the murals in the Engineer structure, and the Derelict from 'Alien' was ancient and certainly predated the events of Prometheus.

• Locked thread