Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Why can't 3DCG anime look this good animated? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAffilu2qOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That looks kinda terrible.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Better than Sidonia

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

darkgray posted:

This post is one of those "jokes" I've heard so much about, isn't it?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

This post is one of those "jokes" I've heard so much about, isn't it?

No, I mean it. Have you seen the 3DCG concert sequences in Love Live?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

darkgray posted:

We already have a RWBY thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lol if you're using loving MikuMikuDance as an example of good animation.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol if you're using loving MikuMikuDance as an example of good animation.

More of a, if this is what hobbyists are producing with free software, why does professional studio animation turn out so poorly, kind of thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

darkgray posted:

More of a, if this is what hobbyists are producing with free software, why does professional studio animation turn out so poorly, kind of thing.

You called it "good."

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Genocyber posted:

You called it "good."

I think the animation is good. What's bad about it? Feel free to teach me how to appreciate animation properly, if that's an issue here.

Edit: Admittedly this may be the wrong thread for it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Potsticker posted:

http://youtu.be/Jkq3qLNpltw

PV for Ore Twintail. It doesn't look as trashy as I feared, and the villain is apparently a big toku looking guy with monster minions and combatants.

I dunno, it looks about as trashy as I expected. I guess I might talk myself into watching the first episode.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Desuwa posted:

I dunno, it looks about as trashy as I expected. I guess I might talk myself into watching the first episode.

I had really, really low expectations I guess. I blame Vividred. v:v:v

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The good TV anime CG is all in kids shows anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbwWKBHFXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GUJEio3fbA&t=12s

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fifteen second promo for Chaika the Coffin Princess Season 2, now with a very excitable sounding Chaika. And a release date I suppose: October 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOjiaqnHlI

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

darkgray posted:

I think the animation is good. What's bad about it? Feel free to teach me how to appreciate animation properly, if that's an issue here.

Edit: Admittedly this may be the wrong thread for it.

There are people in ADTRW who think MD Geist has really good animation, I'd just ignore it

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

Better than Sidonia

Man, I really wanted to like the series of Sidonia, but the lovely 3D washed whatever (little) character was in the manga away. The individuality of the mechs was completely lost, and characters became super samey with their generic faces and canned animations.

Anyway, I watched all of Chaika over the last few day. I was surprised I hadn't really seen it being talked about, so I guess it was aired earlier than last season? Pretty fun fantasy adventure show! Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I generally think all animation is good as long as theres some kawaii bishoujos afoot

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

There are people in ADTRW who think MD Geist has really good animation, I'd just ignore it

lol you completely missed the point people were making when they talked about the animation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Srice posted:

lol you completely missed the point people were making when they talked about the animation.

Those gifs were still pretty "eh." Just because they're better than the rest doesn't mean they're good. I love MD Geist and even I don't pretend it has good animation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Those gifs were still pretty "eh." Just because they're better than the rest doesn't mean they're good. I love MD Geist and even I don't pretend it has good animation.

From a historical perspective however they're pretty neat! You can see some elements of what those animators would later refine in their style.

Especially since that stuff is from the early stage of their careers; Obari was only 20 years old when he did that stuff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

Man, I really wanted to like the series of Sidonia, but the lovely 3D washed whatever (little) character was in the manga away. The individuality of the mechs was completely lost, and characters became super samey with their generic faces and canned animations.

Anyway, I watched all of Chaika over the last few day. I was surprised I hadn't really seen it being talked about, so I guess it was aired earlier than last season? Pretty fun fantasy adventure show! Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Don't be shocked, but there's a whole thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627204
:v:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

lmao you're loving dumb

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

straight jerkers posted:

Yuru Yuri was written and drawn by a woman who by all accounts genuinely loves the stuff.

No way I love comedy too.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hocus Pocus posted:

super samey with their generic faces...

Because they were all unique and special in the manga!

And as for good animation, well, I can bet you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byAfC5yW_hw could have been done in 3D, just nobody (in japan) has done yet, also lol MMD.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Srice posted:

From a historical perspective however they're pretty neat! You can see some elements of what those animators would later refine in their style.

Especially since that stuff is from the early stage of their careers; Obari was only 20 years old when he did that stuff.

This actually makes sense, I didn't really think of it that way. :shobon:

Uznare posted:

lmao you're loving dumb

You're getting really defensive over a terribad 80s OVA, not sure I'm the dumb one here

e: dropping it per Zorak.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 14, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You're getting really defensive over a terribad 80s OVA, not sure I'm the dumb one here

No actually you're definitely winning this race to the bottom at the moment

Stop posting about it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Moving on, Ikuhara's Yuri Kuma Arashi announced for January. The winter season's going to be so loving sweet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am totally up for Yuri Bear Storm by Ikuhara.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Can someone who's read the manga say whether it's related to Penguin Drum in any way, or was the original name for the prototype just a marketing stunt?

I'll watch it either way, but I'm curious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can someone who's read the manga say whether it's related to Penguin Drum in any way, or was the original name for the prototype just a marketing stunt?

I'll watch it either way, but I'm curious.

There was only one chapter (I'm not sure if that's just what's translated or in general) but so far it's not related to Penguin Drum.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Holy poo poo, I just finished the manga, Parasyte and I cannot wait for the anime adaption. My husband and I spent to entire weekend reading it because it was so cool. It had it's eh moments but it was all around a great read and I hope the anime does it justice. It's not going to be a 12 episode anime I hope.

Migi! :allears:

Candy Dawn fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 15, 2014

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Candy Dawn posted:

Holy poo poo, I just finished the manga, Parasyte and I cannot wait for the anime adaption. My husband and I spent to entire weekend reading it because it was so cool. It had it's eh moments but it was all around a great read and I hope the anime does it justice. It's not going to be a 12 episode anime I hope.
NTV says 24 episodes.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

ultimatemegax posted:

NTV says 24 episodes.

Yesss! Thank you!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really thought about doing a re-read of the Parasyte manga because it's been years since I read it and can't remember a thing about it, but in the end decided I'd rather watch the anime as a more or less fresh look and not have the manga hanging over it for comparison.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNPQwkSSvY

THIS ^^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8F8ZhKv5tY

LOOKS AN AWFUL LOT LIKE THIS ^^^^

Is there a cultural reference im missing here? Two shows within short time of each other about a Merman living at home with a guy.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Talkc posted:

Is there a cultural reference im missing here? Two shows within short time of each other about a Merman living at home with a guy.
That second one is part of a yaoi OVA series and came out two years ago, it's not a show

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That second one is part of a yaoi OVA series and came out two years ago, it's not a show

I was using the term show very vaguely. And i know when it came out. Im just... surprised to see that its a premise that is common enough for more than one Shounen-ai "production" to use it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What kind of weirdo doesn't want to gently caress a merman?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

What kind of weirdo doesn't want to gently caress a merman?

Any sane sort of person. Even the women who realize that fish sex isn't their thing.

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Talkc posted:

I was using the term show very vaguely. And i know when it came out. Im just... surprised to see that its a premise that is common enough for more than one Shounen-ai "production" to use it.

Yeah I've never heard of television viewers watching the same thing repackaged over and over again.

• Locked thread