Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Ddraig posted:

Resident Evil 5/6 looked at the RE4 formula and decided "I guess we know better than that!" then hosed it up completely.

Lemon Curdistan above covers this pretty well but I don't think either RE5 or 6 are trying to be 4. All three of these games have big mechanical differences (ammo is more plentiful, inventory space defined drastically differently, and melee attacks much more predictably triggered in 5 than in 4, for example) as well as different pacing and area design goals.

I like all these games! I actually like RE4 the least of them (I don't ever find Ashley to hold up as well as people say she does) but they are all pretty different. Those differences can just be hard to see beneath the series name and camera angle being the same for all of them.

edit: well, on the last page, not above. The post in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Morter posted:

So, considering it's that much newer, is RE4 worth trying? I played maybe an hour on the PS2, and I didn't hate it, but having tried and blown off most other RE games before Revelations, I dunno how I'd feel about this :10bux: investment.
It's really good, once you get the hang of the controls, and much better on PC thanks to mouse aiming. It's WELL worth the :10bux:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Resident Evil 5 mercenary mode, especially in coop, is the best experience I've ever had with any of the resident evil games. 5 is the best one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Don't use Mouse Aiming in RE4. Seriously... the game was pretty much completely designed around the use of a controller. The Wii version was piss easy thanks to the aiming controls, the ability to mouse aim would completely neuter the experience.

This might sound spergy or whatever, but to get the proper experience you need to use a controller, because the game is designed and balanced around that control scheme.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The proper RE4 experience requires you to go out of your way to use a bad control scheme, because the controls are the only good horror element in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
RE 5 is garbage, though I'm waiting for 6 to get cheaper for Mercenaries.

Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record are definitely worth picking up, they're great. If you want more of a sandbox get Off the Record.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

There has literally never been a GTA game that came out on PC at the same time as consoles*. It's very rare for Rockstar games to do so in general.

e: Okay so San Andreas hit PC the same day as the Xbox 1 (the first one) port, but that was one example a decade ago.

Okay but it came out on consoles almost a year ago.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Freak Futanari posted:

The proper RE4 experience requires you to go out of your way to use a bad control scheme, because the controls are the only good horror element in the game.

Resident Evil 4 isn't a horror game. The controls are perfect. The only people who complain about the controls are those who think the arcade style controls of Capcom games are a hindrance rather than an actual element of the gameplay (see: Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising etc.)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

RE4 isn't really a horror game, but it does have some pretty decent sound design. I'd reccomend it over 5 and 6 myself just because it actually has some atmosphere and tension to it. One enemy in the last act is also one of the most unsettling enemies I have seen in a videogame. Though they kind of ruin it by giving you an easy way to kill them after the first few spawn.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I still think RE4 is pretty much the best action game ever made. Everything about it just works so drat well. It's less horror centric than the earlier games, but it does have some creepy moments. It's basically a B-movie made into a playable video game, complete with cheesy dialog, weird plot elements and enemies that sort of feel like hammy actors trying to be intimidating.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like the inventory and the special qualities of weapons that open up after upgrading. I'm also a sucker for main characters changing their outfit as the game goes on, especially if it's like the Arkham games where he gets more beat up. I also really enjoy the sound design of RE4, the guns sound so chunky.

What unsettling enemy are you talking about, by the way? Dark Souls series has some that creep me out (Basilisk's big googly eyes).

Also as far as new-school Resident Evils go, RE5 with co-op is the most fun I've had. Local co-op with my bro made the game my favorite.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 13, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I really like the inventory and the special qualities of weapons that open up after upgrading. I'm also a sucker for main characters changing their outfit as the game goes on, especially if it's like the Arkham games where he gets more beat up. I also really enjoy the sound design of RE4, the guns sound so chunky.

What unsettling enemy are you talking about, by the way? Dark Souls series has some that creep me out (Basilisk's big googly eyes).
The Regenerators.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Also as far as new-school Resident Evils go, RE5 with co-op is the most fun I've had. Local co-op with my bro made the game my favorite.

Yeah, RE 5 & 6 are absolutely built around co-op. If you play them solo, you're missing out on a lot. It's like playing Left 4 Dead in singleplayer: Possible, maybe even playable, but deeply unsatisfying.

The levels themselves are built around cooperative actions, like splitting paths and providing covering fire for each other, and the combat engine itself has a lot of co-op elements like tag team attacks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

Resident Evil 4 isn't a horror game. The controls are perfect. The only people who complain about the controls are those who think the arcade style controls of Capcom games are a hindrance rather than an actual element of the gameplay (see: Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising etc.)

Yeah I notice that is a major complaint about Dead Rising 3 is the fact it got rid of the survivor system for something far more sane (most just leave when you save them, rest just tag along to help out and can be dismissed) or having a locker with all possible weapons you found or made.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

The Regenerators.

I've replayed this game 10+ times and the Regenerators still give me the willies.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rirse posted:

Yeah I notice that is a major complaint about Dead Rising 3 is the fact it got rid of the survivor system for something far more sane (most just leave when you save them, rest just tag along to help out and can be dismissed) or having a locker with all possible weapons you found or made.

Totally out of the blue question, but how do you dismiss NPCs in Dead Rising 3? I didn't find any way except hauling rear end to the nearest safehouse and using the survivor board.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, RE 5 & 6 are absolutely built around co-op. If you play them solo, you're missing out on a lot. It's like playing Left 4 Dead in singleplayer: Possible, maybe even playable, but deeply unsatisfying.

The levels themselves are built around cooperative actions, like splitting paths and providing covering fire for each other, and the combat engine itself has a lot of co-op elements like tag team attacks.

I guess I'm just not a fan of co-op, especially when it's forced upon games not traditionally known for having such a system. I'm somewhat surprised that Devil May Cry hasn't had co-op forced upon it yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've replayed this game 10+ times and the Regenerators still give me the willies.

They're a lot less scary once you know how to deal with them and know where the item you need is (or just show up with a fully upgraded Striker and empty 20 shells into their back, which will also kill the parasite).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rirse posted:

DR3 is more focused on sandbox shenanigans than survival so if you really loved the series for the latter you'll probably be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure most people won't care because the sandbox elements are what made Dead Rising.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 13, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ymgve posted:

Totally out of the blue question, but how do you dismiss NPCs in Dead Rising 3? I didn't find any way except hauling rear end to the nearest safehouse and using the survivor board.

Still don't know how to dismiss by command, but you can get them to return to base by driving away in a car without them. At that point you will get a message saying "_____ has returned to the safehouse".

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

What's the word on Lost Planet 3 ? I'll be playing by myself, don't care about co-op or multiplayer. I just feel like sci-fi shooting. Never played 1 and 2 if that matters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

What's the word on Lost Planet 3 ? I'll be playing by myself, don't care about co-op or multiplayer. I just feel like sci-fi shooting. Never played 1 and 2 if that matters.

It, uh...while you're playing it feels like could be better than it is. Like, it's on the cusp of an interesting story - characters are almost written nicely (the voice acting between characters is kinda wonky, although it's nice when dialog is isolated) and plot is almost interestingly navigated through. There are really nice small touches to characters and environments and UI that makes you want to like it.

The exploration becomes repetitive and gameplay quickly becomes routine.

The small touches and details make the game worth playing but the gameplay makes it hard to keep on with it after a few hours.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 13, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Lost Planet 2 is pretty much the best co-op game ever made. Once again, the AI makes it slightly more difficult, especially with a certain fight.

Haven't played 3, but I'd highly recommend Lost Planet 2. One of the missions involves being a bunch of desert pirates and boarding a giant, moving vehicle after nearly destroying it and causing it to self-destruct before hopping back into yours, all in real time.

It also requires you to think about things which I quite enjoy. There's an Akrid that senses sounds you make so you have to stand perfectly still while it's 'searching' for you or it'll unleash a can of whup rear end on you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lost Planet 2 isn't on sale, oddly enough.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe I'm in the minority but I liked the timed aspect of the Dead Rising series and the third feels like a bit of a slog without it.

It definitely doesn't have as many side missions which have been replaced with tracking down Frank statues and schematics. And I enjoyed having to prioritize where I was going to effectively save the most people. Then having a train if like 10 survivors head back to the house.

Also DR3 just ate my save, so looks like I'm starting over. :(

At least it saved my level and collected stuff.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

therealjon_ posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I liked the timed aspect of the Dead Rising series and the third feels like a bit of a slog without it.

It definitely doesn't have as many side missions which have been replaced with tracking down Frank statues and schematics. And I enjoyed having to prioritize where I was going to effectively save the most people. Then having a train if like 10 survivors head back to the house.

Also DR3 just ate my save, so looks like I'm starting over. :(

At least it saved my level and collected stuff.

You could always try starting the new game in Nightmare Mode, which I guess tries to put it back in more traditional Dead Rising timing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nah, the timer was what made Dead Rising unique and not just another 'kill a load of zombies' game. Sad to hear of its departure.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Ddraig posted:

Nah, the timer was what made Dead Rising unique and not just another 'kill a load of zombies' game. Sad to hear of its departure.

The timer also made the game really linear. For DR2 at least there was pretty much no room for error if you wanted to get all of the survivors.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the feedback on LP3. Maybe I'll let it get even cheaper and play some of the other stuff I bought on sale this week :v:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I figure I'll give Nightmare mode a try after a run through the regular game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

Oh there still a timer to finish the game (six in regular, three in nightmare mode), just the main mission doesn't expire anymore, while side missions do have a timer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kin posted:

The timer also made the game really linear. For DR2 at least there was pretty much no room for error if you wanted to get all of the survivors.

I think the entire point is that it's supposed to be an unfun slog to get all the survivors, because it's sort of a Romeroesque series (at least before both became terrible) in that not everybody is going to make it. The Dead Rising 1/2 (2 to a lesser extent, haven't played 3 yet) were sort of designed around the idea that you would be playing in what is essentially iron man mode and restarting when you died and just letting poo poo happen and adapting to it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kin posted:

?

DR1 gave maybe 5 minutes worth of error, which was basically no room if you didn't know the layout/have the shortcuts unlocked. That was a poor choice for the average person who just wants to have fun with video games it seems, so I'll give you that ( also didn't help that the AI was TERRIBLE ). But DR2 made it much simpler, and as long as you didn't completely ignore scoops for 10+ minutes you could easily save everyone on your first game. Hell, I did save everyone on my first game on day 1 when I bought the game, having no knowledge of what was coming next.

Even if you attempt to save everyone/kill all the psychopaths/do all the case files on your first run, rather then just saving everyone/doing the case files, you'll still end up with multiple 10+ minute chunks per day to gently caress around in. DR2 was a very forgiving game.

A solid 50% of the psychopaths are completely ignorable unless you want to experience all the games content, since they don't open paths/drop great items/have survivors.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The original Dead Rising is one of my favorite games because it was unlike anything I'd ever played before. I was one of those lunatics that 100% it, even Survival mode, because it was such a drat good game.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Most people aren't going to save everyone and 100% the game on their first try. That's why you keep your level and traits through death. At least that's what I assumed they were going for with DR1's really strict timetable. It certainly gets easier when you know the layout of the mall and have max level.

EDIT: Also those people you can't save at the beginning is the most frustrating thing I totally wanted to save them :(

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Ddraig posted:

I think the entire point is that it's supposed to be an unfun slog to get all the survivors, because it's sort of a Romeroesque series (at least before both became terrible) in that not everybody is going to make it. The Dead Rising 1/2 (2 to a lesser extent, haven't played 3 yet) were sort of designed around the idea that you would be playing in what is essentially iron man mode and restarting when you died and just letting poo poo happen and adapting to it.

Yeah, i get that and that rescuing all of the survivors was more or less the "hard mode" difficulty for the game. I guess my point is that due to the timer, there wasn't any variety in how you could rescue survivors. You literally had to do x/y/z and rescue survivor A, then B, then C if you wanted to actually get them all within the time limit which goes against the grain of the whole "freedom" element the game also tries to push.

If the timers were a lot more flexible or the survivors more resilient then yeah, i'd be totally cool with the timer because you still have the option of mixing up the order of things a lot more.

Rookersh posted:

?

DR1 gave maybe 5 minutes worth of error, which was basically no room if you didn't know the layout/have the shortcuts unlocked. That was a poor choice for the average person who just wants to have fun with video games it seems, so I'll give you that ( also didn't help that the AI was TERRIBLE ). But DR2 made it much simpler, and as long as you didn't completely ignore scoops for 10+ minutes you could easily save everyone on your first game. Hell, I did save everyone on my first game on day 1 when I bought the game, having no knowledge of what was coming next.

Even if you attempt to save everyone/kill all the psychopaths/do all the case files on your first run, rather then just saving everyone/doing the case files, you'll still end up with multiple 10+ minute chunks per day to gently caress around in. DR2 was a very forgiving game.

A solid 50% of the psychopaths are completely ignorable unless you want to experience all the games content, since they don't open paths/drop great items/have survivors.

Maybe i'm just not as good at smashing zombies as you but i found that there were times i had huge gaps of waiting around to do and really condensed moments where i had to grab certain people in a certain order in a certain time frame.

edit: To be honest i really hoped that the difference for the survivors in DR3 would be that they were their own existing entity in the game. Findable at any point if you knew where to look for them (which you'd find out by rescuing them at whatever point you find them in your main playthrough, probably during some scripted "death time" event that they don't survive past).

That way in one playthrough you might find Tammy fending off a bunch of zombies in a shop which has caused you to have to run halfway across the map to help her and almost miss the case file, but in the second, you knew that when you were in that clothes shop during the first case file, she was hiding behind one of the changing room curtains, etc.

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 13, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

Farcry 3 is a hell of a lot of fun to play but man is it a perfect example of the frustrations of open world gameplay fit into a very specific single-player narrative. Cutscene immunity for the bad guys, cutscene incompetence for the PC despite the fact he's already conquered the entire island and turned the rebels into the defacto Government - I'm not sure where Vaas and his soldiers are based anymore since there isn't a single stronghold on the island I haven't singlehandedly wiped out, but apparently everybody is still living in fear of him and his pirates omnipresent threat.

All the stuff between those cutscenes and the rather uninspired story of a rich white kid becoming better at being a native warrior than all the natives is a hell of a lot of fun to play though!
Play Far Cry 2 instead.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Far Cry 2 is basically the entire point Far Cry 3 is failing to make. I actually feel like a dirty, lovely, terrible person when I play, particularly if you happen to play slightly sadistically. I remember having a hard time gauging distances/timing when I was using IEDs, so I stumbled across the particularly ingenious idea of placing an easily viewable reference point nearby (in this case a car) and placing the explosive near that, so I'd have an easy reference point of when to trigger it.

It was then that I realized that this is actually sort of what actual militants in Iraq used to do, and why soldiers were always so uneasy when they would find an abandoned vehicle on the road.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lost Planet 3 is a nicely written game with great atmosphere but it has uninspired gameplay that's merely serviceable for the most part. I was having fun with it until I ran into a game-breaking game towards end of the game. I wouldn't recommend getting the game on PC for that reason, it's got some nasty bugs that will most likely never get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm really enjoying Dead Rising 3. Don't feel the constant pressure of having to do this now, but no, I have to do this instead, and while I start doing that 5 more things pop up that I feel I need to do. DR3 is allowing me to go collect the blueprints, and other collectibles while still saving survivors, and also doing story missions. I generally hate timed games and I'm an analyst, so I'm always over-thinking about the best approach, thus wasting time.
The only thing I'm disliking with DR3 is having to go back and forth across the map through massive mobs of zombies so much. Yes the custom vehicles help, but some sort of fast travel (maybe unlocked by completing challenges) would have been nice.

• Locked thread