Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

EX250 Type R posted:

American Macro brews taste like freedom, it is no wonder that only Americans really enjoy them

You rang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I see your

and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFmc0oZXFI

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bzonif1tnvuzazt/AACJvZlK5InM7gnRFQOiqi7Da
Hit 100000km on my transalp 600.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Got it towed to the mechanic. Was on a trip with coworkers, everything went fine, stopped for a drink, clutch wouldn't disengage anymore no matter what. Cable is fine so who knows what it is. While we were stopped for coffee I was joking how the other Buell rider that signed up didn't show, probably because of bike issues... guess I jinxed it or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So is literally every other pleasurable thing on Earth.

Even the smug sense of self-satisfaction that comes with not doing anything "disgusting"?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Changed all the brake pads, sample old one on the left, new one on the right. I am supposed to get my vacuum brake bleeder today, so I'll bleed them breaks today.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Finished replacing my brake light today. I had noticed 2.5 weeks ago that it was super dim and the turn signals weren't working. Last year something similar had happened and it turned out the PO had done a poo poo job soldering the wire for it. I assumed I had done the same thing so I dismantled everything but my solder joints looked perfect. Opened up the actual light housing a found that everything inside was corroded as gently caress. I ordered a new light which took a week to come, reassembled it without checking if it worked like a moron only to discover that it would turn on but wouldn't get bright with the brakes being used.

Took another week to get a replacement sent out and this time everything went good. I feel like I'm not terrible with mechanical things but every job I do on the bike still takes about 10 times as long as it should.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

I feel like I'm not terrible with mechanical things but every job I do on the bike still takes about 10 times as long as it should.

:respek: same here, I'm fully expecting tomorrow's carb clean/sync to take like three days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Even the smug sense of self-satisfaction that comes with not doing anything "disgusting"?

Yes, because it's proven that people with no friends and no social life live shorter lives, and what fucker wants to be friends with someone like that?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes, because it's proven that people with no friends and no social life live shorter lives, and what fucker wants to be friends with someone like that?

:hfive:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So is literally every other pleasurable thing on Earth.

Are your palms hairy or have you gone blind?

I rest my case.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

nsaP posted:

Most of your posts are annoying but that one just made me physically mad. And also sad for your kiwi palette.

Slavvy is a painter now?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Slavvy is a painter now?

Not exactly...

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Had to replace the headlight bulb after limping on my high beam. Sorry northbound I-25!

Thankfully BMW uses standard automotive bulbs. In fact, both the high beam and the low beam are the same kind of bulb. If I had read a little closer, I might have just swapped them instead of blinding everyone. But it's kind of a pain in the rear end to get the clips positioned right so maybe it's a good thing I didn't mess with it too much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Finally got around to flushing the coolant on both bikes. Distilled water, a bit of water wetter, and probably 25%ish antifreeze. I've never seen it hit 10f here.

fakeedit: I'm hoping I flushed the poo poo-brown mystery coolant out of the FZ6 well enough to not have some sort of stupid reaction.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 14, 2014

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Excellent. That exact commercial was the first thing I thought of as soon as I scrolled down to that pic :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kuffs posted:

Had to replace the headlight bulb after limping on my high beam. Sorry northbound I-25!

Thankfully BMW uses standard automotive bulbs. In fact, both the high beam and the low beam are the same kind of bulb. If I had read a little closer, I might have just swapped them instead of blinding everyone. But it's kind of a pain in the rear end to get the clips positioned right so maybe it's a good thing I didn't mess with it too much.

They're H7s, right? People tend to overlook that both high and low beams are 55W, they're just aimed differently.

Having separate bulbs and reflectors for high and low beams is a massive upgrade from a single H4 in a single reflector. Plus, they seem to last longer, and you can swap them in emergencies as you mentioned.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I cleaned the carbs, which turned out to be pretty much unnecessary. They were amazingly clean inside. Everything was in tip top shape, plus one of the POs did me a favor and drilled out the EPS plugs.

Getting the fuckers on/off (especially on) the bike was orders of magnitude harder than actually cleaning :argh:

Tomorrow: sync.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

Getting the fuckers on/off (especially on) the bike was orders of magnitude harder than actually cleaning :argh:

Tomorrow: sync.

I've been avoiding taking the carb off my drz for weeks for that exact reason.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

KozmoNaut posted:

They're H7s, right? People tend to overlook that both high and low beams are 55W, they're just aimed differently.

Having separate bulbs and reflectors for high and low beams is a massive upgrade from a single H4 in a single reflector. Plus, they seem to last longer, and you can swap them in emergencies as you mentioned.

Yep, H7s. I just wish it was a little easier to manipulate the retention clip.

I ended up buying 3 just so I could have plenty of spares. It was not fun being in the middle of Wyoming with 100mi to the nearest parts store at 20 mins to sundown.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

Yep, H7s. I just wish it was a little easier to manipulate the retention clip.

I ended up buying 3 just so I could have plenty of spares. It was not fun being in the middle of Wyoming with 100mi to the nearest parts store at 20 mins to sundown.

Do they not sell spare bulbs at filling stations round there?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I didn't look. I pretty much did a beeline for the nearest parts store as soon as I figured out what was up. That said, even the filling stations are pretty sparse out there.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Do they not sell spare bulbs at filling stations round there?

American filling station: a splendid array of junk food, a rest room with an out of order sign, and someone behind bullet-proof glass reading Big 'Uns.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Funny, in my experience the low beam H7s last a lot shorter than H4s ever did. Might have something to do with different housings and poo poo I guess.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Very slowly dropped it. Was parking the Bandit at work this morning and adjusted my curb position with the kickstand down. It got moved enough to unlock and when I went to set it back down, the rest of the bike followed with me holding the grips and slowly letting it down. The engine guard bar did its job and it's all good.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 17, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
drat, just spent a few minutes in the middle of a highway blocking an accident scene with the hazards on. Two dudes riding together just went into each other and the dude on the cbr wearing slip ons got pinned under his bike.

The guy in front decided to do a 40 mph u turn into the other guy. They were riding like total goobers, not racing, didn't look drunk. Probably new.

For me it's a good reminder to be safe right before riding 5 deep for a few thousand miles.

Anyhow right before that happened I replaced the clutch cable on the Ulysses while waiting for the engine to cool off enough to do the throttle cables. The clutch ramp is a cool component.

Also managed to take off the sail-like hand guards. I'm hoping for less aerodynamic interference on the steering while passing trucks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

drat, just spent a few minutes in the middle of a highway blocking an accident scene with the hazards on. Two dudes riding together just went into each other and the dude on the cbr wearing slip ons got pinned under his bike.

The guy in front decided to do a 40 mph u turn into the other guy. They were riding like total goobers, not racing, didn't look drunk. Probably new.

For me it's a good reminder to be safe right before riding 5 deep for a few thousand miles.

Anyhow right before that happened I replaced the clutch cable on the Ulysses while waiting for the engine to cool off enough to do the throttle cables. The clutch ramp is a cool component.

Also managed to take off the sail-like hand guards. I'm hoping for less aerodynamic interference on the steering while passing trucks.

Not to be too morbid, but do you have pictures? I'm having trouble visualizing the accident.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't have any pics. I noticed they missed their turn. Lead guy was riding on the right side of the lane (you're supposed to stagger left-first), tried a u-turn left at like 40mph, and the other guy didn't slow down in time and clipped him as u-turn guy came across his part of the lane, sending both over high side.

e: I lied, I have some pics. Was working late, totally forgot I took them.

Clutch cable was super easy to route. I had to take the tank off the Vstar to do its cable.

I waited in the car after I called emergency response. There were already enough people standing around the middle of the highway. Injured CBR guy is laying on the other side of the CBR. The people standing around were holding their phones with flashlights on while another guy argued with the injured guy to keep still until the EMTs arrived.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 17, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Thanks. Reminds me to communicated with whoever I'm riding with before getting on the bike.

My bike: there was a terrible smell when I rode to class today, like something burning. I was worried something awful was happening to my engine again, but luckily it was only a strap from my backpack that got stuck on the exhaust. :downs:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Clutch cable was super easy to route. I had to take the tank off the Vstar to do its cable.

Yeah the clutch is surprisingly easy, just double-check it doesn't rub the fork much.
I saw you're also replacing the throttle cables, those area a bit more complicated so when I put everything back together I thought I had done something wrong with how much slack on the throttle I needed before it would snap back even with the handle bars all the way to the left. But that's apparently normal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buell: clutch cables are a preventative maintenance item to stop water contamination blowing up your final drive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This ain't preventive. I've adjusted all the adjustment out of my old rear end cable, I just need a new one. 60k miles was a good run.

I had to replace my vstar's cable at 9k miles. That was infuriating. Yamaha pretty much sucks at quality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

This ain't preventive. I've adjusted all the adjustment out of my old rear end cable, I just need a new one. 60k miles was a good run.

I had to replace my vstar's cable at 9k miles. That was infuriating. Yamaha pretty much sucks at quality.

You have the most laughably skewed perspective. Yamaha do not by any stretch of the imagination suck at quality, you just got a freak lemon bike. I'd place Yamaha only slightly behind Honda as far as Japanese makes go.

I was referring to High Protein's bike anyway.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put new wheel bearings on the front, big hand guard spoilers and made A Thing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

You have the most laughably skewed perspective. Yamaha do not by any stretch of the imagination suck at quality, you just got a freak lemon bike. I'd place Yamaha only slightly behind Honda as far as Japanese makes go.

I was referring to High Protein's bike anyway.

I have two Yamahas (when I had the Vstar it was 3), they are both terrible in their own way. I mean, worst-wiring-ever aside on the XS, what kind of bike needs a cam chain at 18,000 miles? And the DT floods and stalls when I get it airborne. Worst ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You live in the tiny, tiny crack between the curve and the asymptote. That is the only explanation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I have two Yamahas (when I had the Vstar it was 3), they are both terrible in their own way. I mean, worst-wiring-ever aside on the XS, what kind of bike needs a cam chain at 18,000 miles? And the DT floods and stalls when I get it airborne. Worst ever.

Your Buell stockholm syndrome aside, you seem like a chill dude who'd be fun to hang out with but man you can't touch my bikes for fear of whatever you have being contagious.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Buell stockholm syndrome

I think this might be a legit thing. I haven't ridden mine in 8 or so months, and I'm getting less and less interested in the new stuff EBR is making.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

you can't touch my bikes for fear of whatever you have being contagious.

You're not the first person who has said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I always seem to have vehicles that work "just so." And, my attitude towards them is, to quote Jeremy Clarkson on British Leyland, "That'll do." Everything I do is "that'll do." For instance, my 1979 CB650 has a clogged accelerator pump after I synced the carburetors. I know for a fact it's the accelerator pump, and all I need to do is drop the carb bowl, clean the swollen, gelatinous RTV out of it, and reinstall for perfect operation. But, since syncing the carbs, all the clogged accelerator pump means right in this very moment is that I can't do a wheelie anymore, and it bogs a tiny bit at lower/mid (1/8 to 1/3) throttle positions, and that it takes awhile to start as I can't spray any fuel directly into the intake to give it a go.

That's fine. I'll tackle it when I have a free weekend, which is getting rarer and rarer these days. For now, whenever my fiancee needs to ride it to work (it's technically her bike), I start it up an hour or so before she leaves and I let it warm up and get fuel in all of the right places, and it starts right up for her.

In another example, I posted in my beetle thread about some dimpled marine vinyl installation I did on the dash panels. No doubt, they now look 100x better than the bare rusted sheet metal. Also, no doubt, there's a long way I could go to making them look better if I wanted to re-do the project, and it's only an hour-long project, so I could spend an afternoon and fix it.

In both examples, I have improved the bike/car significantly with little downside, but there is a bit of refining that could be done to make everything 100%. Sometimes, though, I'm content with 90% and a few free hours to actually enjoy what I've done.

I'm probably a horrible person.