Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

my dad posted:

OK, dude, I had (e: and still have) optimization related subjects in my studies, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Half your post are optimization-related terms, and half is gibberish I can't figure out the meaning of. Could you please rephrase it somehow?

MP.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

What it's showing is that they don't have perfect information, and that their worldview is affected by their history and cultural perceptions - just as the US' view is affected by its own history and cultural perceptions. We all see international relations through a glass darkly; it's childish to write their worldview off as "operating in a reality detached way."

But I've already pointed out to you why they see encirclement as a potential threat to their second-strike capability. Do you have anything to say in response to that?

If Russia can't figure out decades old public knowledge, then they surely can't be trusted.

They can see it that way all they want, it's outright false. They can see McDonald's offering bacon double cheeseburgers as a threat too, since they literally just want any excuse.

Discendo Vox posted:

The pulling the "West" did was literally being people who don't act like Russia. The entirety of Western "threats," their "encircling" "sphere of influence" was to cooperate with other countries and not be dicks.

There's this too. And gently caress, most of Eastern Europe had to suffer through some pretty tough stuff before they got to join in at that. Still more appealing than what Russia was laying on when Russia could have just kept hands off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Time is running out for Russia. More and more power plants in Germany are being closed because renewable energy makes them unprofitable. And because of Russia's behavior even the biggest idiots now see how being energy independent is important and should be advanced faster.

Coal plants are opening up in Germany because renewables can't generate enough energy and they're scared of atoms.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

computer parts posted:

Coal plants are opening up in Germany because renewables can't generate enough energy and they're scared of atoms.

Yeah, I don't see renewable energy pushing natural gas out for a while. If anything as Europe turns away from nuclear power, and a desire for fossil fuels is only going to increase.

Also, natural gas is used beyond electricity generation and that isn't likely to change much either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Yeah but those run on German (awful, lovely burning) coal, instead of Russian natural gas. It's no anthracite, and it's terrible for the environment, but Russia ain't providing it.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Wow, that argument went on for pages, yet somehow managed not to get into any specific thing. For example, was it the 2004 enlargement that threatened Russia, or did the 1999 one do too? I'd argue that neither of these are so centrally important to the current Russian antagonism. Let's actually review how Russia felt antagonized since the end of the Cold War:

• 1999 NATO enlargement (Poland, Hungary, Check rep.)
  • 1999 NATO bombing of Serbia
  • 1999-2001 Second Chechen War ("The West is funding Chechen Wahhabists!")
  • 2001 Invasion of Afghanistan ("Russia is being encircled from the south!", "They're flooding Russia with cheap Afghan opium!")
  • 2003 Invasion of Iraq ("Americans are bloodthirsty warmongers!")
  • 2004 Ukraine Orange revolution ("The West wants to weaken and destroy Russia!")
  • 2004 NATO enlargement ("NATO is on ex-Soviet Union territory!")
  • 2008 Georgian war (no comment)
  • 2011 Lybia in particular and Arab Spring in general ("The West is bombing civilians to install their puppet governments!", "The West is allied with radical Islamists!")

And there you have it. Those are all that I could think of this morning, but as you can see NATO enlargements are just two points that don't even particularly stand out for me in the list. Focusing so much on those two and imagining that if only they were erased we'd now be living in peace and harmony is seriously deluding yourself.

Of the whole list, I would pick the NATO bombing of lil' plucky Serbia as the critical point where relations soured to covert antagonism, while Western recognition of Kosovo was the parting kick in the balls from which relations couldn't recover. There were simply too many parallels the Russians could see in Serbs trying to re-forge greater Yugoslavia and their own efforts in reforming the Russian Empire, and the evil US/NATO not letting them. Hell, the current Ukrainian conflict is analogous to the Bosnian war, just substitute Russia for Serbia, Ukraine for Bosnia and Novorossiya for Republic Srpska.

So, in effect, NATO's simple existence antagonizes Russia to no end. If NATO moves so much as finger as far away as North Africa, it's felt to be threatening. At the end of the Cold War, the Soviet/new-Russian leadership expected that the US would reciprocate and disband NATO when the Warsaw pact broke apart. Russia's ultimate goal is to kick the US from the European continent entirely, since it's a foreign entity to the region. Then Russia would have a free hand to manipulate the small, weak, fat and slightly retarded European countries as much as it wanted by using the tried and true "divide and conquer" approach.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

eigenstate posted:

Hell, the current Ukrainian conflict is analogous to the Bosnian war, just substitute Russia for Serbia, Ukraine for Bosnia and Novorossiya for Republic Srpska.

The gently caress? How?

e: You're going to have to clarify that one, because it's hard to see the similarities here.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SA_Avenger posted:

What does evil even mean? Do you think he brushes his hands together while laughing in his lair as he looks at dead bodies?
He has nothing of evil, just different interests than most of us. Or if you consider him evil I guess you should not open an history book.
I would say much much worse has been done by people noone ever considered evil. It's not a few thousand dead people in Ukraine that will change that, in 10 years most of the world would have forgotten about it.

If you have to retreat into "Is there such a thing as evil?" to avoid calling someone evil, it's not a great sign.

As much as historical examples are difficult to judge within the context of their times and all that jazz, if you're a strongman dictator in the year 2014 who kills journalists, poisons defectors, jails your critics, quashes political opposition, sets up puppets in neighbouring countries, backs chemical weapon using tyrants in civil wars and launches opportunistic conquests then you are a bad man.

Putin probably doesn't think of himself as evil, very few evil people do. As much as the lines can get blurry, though, he is well over it. We can argue about how, say, the President of the United States is a role whose occupiers get their hands dirty immediately, but even they must tip-toe when compared to the willful destruction Putin's been able to throw around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dilkington posted:

You have over and over again mentioned Mearsheimer and Walt, sometimes together, sometimes individually. I'm aware of their relationship to the Offensive realist school, and the extent to which they have collaborated. They were very right on Iraq, and wrong about most other things. On a personal level, the way they went to bat for Atzmon made it hard for me to continue following them.

It seems to me like they were defending Atzmon entirely on the basis of his criticisms of Israel, which is a pretty valid position to take. Regardless, though, their arguments on the issue of Russia and Ukraine are very strong, IMO. If you don't think so, let me know why this is one of those cases in which they're wrong.

Nintendo Kid posted:

If Russia can't figure out decades old public knowledge, then they surely can't be trusted.

This is just silly. States often hold long-lasting misjudgments of each other. Look at the US' continued policy towards Cuba or Iran. Or Israel, for that matter.

quote:

They can see it that way all they want, it's outright false. They can see McDonald's offering bacon double cheeseburgers as a threat too, since they literally just want any excuse.

It doesn't matter if it's outright false. States make foreign policy decisions based on perceptions of threats. You can call Russia's perceptions crazy or stupid all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that we're going to have to deal with them.

e: Your arguments are prime examples of looking at the world the way you think it should be, as opposed to the way it is.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 13, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I assume you're referring to Mearscheimer's article in FP. Did Walt write an article too?

Mearsheimer's is in Foreign Affairs, but Walt's is in FP here, and he links to a previous, longer piece on the subject.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

This is just silly. States often hold long-lasting misjudgments of each other. Look at the US' continued policy towards Cuba or Iran. Or Israel, for that matter.

It doesn't matter if it's outright false. States make foreign policy decisions based on perceptions of threats. You can call Russia's perceptions crazy or stupid all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that we're going to have to deal with them.

e: Your arguments are prime examples of looking at the world the way you think it should be, as opposed to the way it is.

And states are wrong when they do this, yes.

It does matter if it is outright false. It means they do not have real justification behind their actions. It means their actions become George Bush huntin' for those WMDs that he so totally believes are there in Iraq.

Wrong, you're the one trying to paint a world as it should be as a goal, a world where everyone goes crazy enough to figure what bullshit Russia's going to come up with ahead of time and react against lies as yet untold preemptively.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

axelord posted:

He never said that. He was expressing a Realist view on Foreign Policy to explain Russia's actions. Russia is pursing what it see as it's interests in Ukraine. Putin is a bastard but he's not crazy or evil. There was the possibility of the West and Russia coming to a mutually beneficial agreement on Ukraine's status. Which would have been better for Ukraine than having Russia and the West engage in a proxy battle on it's territory.

It would have made sense for the West to do so because we don't have any desire to use force to defend Ukraine. All we've done is give them empty promises that lead them to fighting a battle they can not win.

Is it NATO's fault for Russia's response in Ukraine? No, but it shouldn't be a surprise at all. Actions matter not the intent behind those actions.

Your and Majorian's "realist" view completely ignores Ukraine as an actor and simplifies the conflict as the clash of superpowers, which is far from truth. Europe's involvement in Maidan was really mellow - they were mostly cheerleading. After Yanukovych's violent crackdown, when the riots intensified, several European countries tried to negotiate a settlement that would let the disgraced president stay in power until December. It failed miserably - first because the Russian envoy wouldn't sign the document, then the people of Maidan refused to compromise over this issue, as they wanted Yanukovych to go immediately.

After Yanukovych got ousted and the proofs of his corruption were published, there was a perfect opportunity for Putin to negotiate a mutually beneficial solution. No such thing happened. First they demanded Yanukovych to be reinstated as president (which they knew Maidan would never accept), then they invaded Crimea and kickstarted the separatist movement in Donbass. There were never a solution that would be acceptable to Russia and wouldn't have hosed over the inhabitants of Ukraine.

The reason why people in this thread are giving you and Majorian poo poo is because you don't represent the same side. Many goons writing in this thread live in the neighborhood of Russia and are in danger of experiencing its military adventurism first hand. Some even live in Ukraine or have a family there. You most probably live far away from the conflict and are very unlikely to suffer any consequences (unless a bunch of incompetent soldiers shoots down your plane when you return from vacation). You come here and tell us that the West should have thrown us to Russia like you would throw a bunch of meat to a hungry dog. Then you act hurt and upset that we disagree with your completely reasonable solution.

For all your talk of "trying to understand the source of the conflict", you completely don't give a poo poo about all the actors but the strongest ones. In your narration, resolving the conflict only takes an agreement between the Great Powers and smaller countries in the Eastern Europe would simply have no choice but to oblige. Every revolt or a major political change is orchestrated by a powerful puppetmaster playing the Great Game, therefore all it takes to achieve everlasting peace is mutual respect of the countries that actually matter.

This kind of thinking is not only incredibly offensive towards everyone who doesn't happen to be a citizen of a Great Power, it also have consistently proven to not work. It hosed up first the Balkans, then the Middle East and Africa. The Congress of Vienna did nothing to contain the wave of liberalism, the Treaty of Versailles was dead 15 years after it was signed. Whether you like it or not, Great Powers don't get to trade entire groups of people like cattle, nor to appoint their governors in sovereign countries and force unequal treaties. They can do this, and then marvel why the entire region turned into a war zone, and where all those extremist nations that hate them came from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Berke Negri posted:

All of this does make me kind of regret that there isn't a proper Mexican politics thread in D&D. I mean, I get it, that SA slants Northeast US and Western Europe, but there's a good deal what we're talking about in Eastern Europe that is familiar with the country directly south of America's border. I reject all the lazy "what if China moved into Mexico" hypotheticals, but the issues of oligarchs, sectarianism, violence, etc., are just as much issues down there and sorry if this is an out of blue comment but it's one of my genuine peeves with D&D. The next election won't be until 2018 though so I guess it is going to be awhile to really start a thread on it to get any attention.

Start a thread. I'll be there. I don't know much about Mexican politics (or Mexican anything, really) but I'm eager to learn.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

Russia's perception, or Putin's? Given Putin's desire to protect himself from any potential color revolution, it becomes in his interest to perceive Western threats where none exist, as it gives him another excuse to insulate the Russian population from Western influences.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

And states are wrong when they do this, yes.

I'm not denying this.:ssh:

quote:

It does matter if it is outright false. It means they do not have real justification behind their actions. It means their actions become George Bush huntin' for those WMDs that he so totally believes are there in Iraq.

In moral terms, it matters. In practical terms, it doesn't matter. Russia (and every other state) behaves the way it does partially out of security concerns. Whether or not we know they are misjudging their enemy doesn't matter one iota. They will continue to behave in a manner consistent with their perception of the security environment around Russia. It doesn't make what their doing justifiable by any means, but it's reality.

quote:

Wrong, you're the one trying to paint a world as it should be as a goal, a world where everyone goes crazy enough to figure what bullshit Russia's going to come up with ahead of time and react against lies as yet untold preemptively.

Wait a second, let me see if I understand your charge here. You're condemning me because I'm trying to understand my adversary's behavior and perceptions, so that I can better predict his actions?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The point is not that Putin is the big bad guy in this situation, though he is, it's that I believe he was strongly predisposed to becoming a big bad guy the moment he came into power. His conception of the world, and Russia's place in it, simply isn't compatible with any level of respect for the rights of Russia's neighbors, and his willingness to rock the boat makes this a big problem. Like a lot of other people in this thread, I've come to believe the problem is largely internal to Russia, with any hypothetical change in NATO behavior just resulting in different Russian propaganda toward the same end. Basically, NATO's actions following the fall of the USSR didn't create this struggle, it just pushed the battleground east. (To the great fortune of ten millions of people in the former Warsaw Pact.)

Good vs. evil is irrelevant, what matters is that the people running Russia are a bunch of evil bastards. Doesn't matter that the US, and many other NATO members continue doing a lot of poo poo that put them in the dark grey end of the scale, as long as the Russian leadership is as bad (or worse). Russia doesn't become less of an evil empire just because its rivals are too.

We are in 100% agreement here, I promise you. Russia is no less evil because NATO also made some bad mistakes.

quote:

I don't recall them showing how NATO could have acted differently in a way that would have neutralized Putin and his cronies, or made them unlikely to pursue the kind of imperialistic dreams which they are now. (Whether their own, or nationalist Russians' as a means of distraction.)

I think their argument is that NATO shouldn't have expanded as far eastward as it did, and that not letting Ukraine get as far as it did in the NATO membership process would have mollified some of Russia's concerns.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

Russia's perception, or Putin's? Given Putin's desire to protect himself from any potential color revolution, it becomes in his interest to perceive Western threats where none exist, as it gives him another excuse to insulate the Russian population from Western influences.

Yeah, but even Putin has to answer to the public, to some degree. There's a reason why his approval ratings have shot up over the invasion of Ukraine, and that reason is that he has sent what the Russians see as a major "gently caress you!" to the West.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
THE Y COMES AFTER THE B IN LIBYA

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Just start calling it labia and let me die.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

If you have to retreat into "Is there such a thing as evil?" to avoid calling someone evil, it's not a great sign.

Neither is looking at international politics from the perspective of evil and righteousness. Because that gets us people like Bush and Blaire.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Lybian Gouvernment of Muammar Kaddifi

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sitting in a Sueddeutsche talk by the people responsible for letters and internets comments. They're viciously attacked by Russian propagandidts every day. It is horrible, vicious and as of yet unseen.

Russia is actively destroying reality. Only lies come out of Russia.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hey look, it's Russian sponsored ISDL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMiyGZD6R0

Should play well back home

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

I'm not denying this.:ssh:

In moral terms, it matters. In practical terms, it doesn't matter. Russia (and every other state) behaves the way it does partially out of security concerns. Whether or not we know they are misjudging their enemy doesn't matter one iota. They will continue to behave in a manner consistent with their perception of the security environment around Russia. It doesn't make what their doing justifiable by any means, but it's reality.

Wait a second, let me see if I understand your charge here. You're condemning me because I'm trying to understand my adversary's behavior and perceptions, so that I can better predict his actions?

Yeah you kinda are.

In mroal terms it does not matter. It is absolutely impossible to determine what things will be perfectly fine with Russia one day and then justification for invasion and seizure the next. They don't behave in any sort of consistent matter outside of not invading countries strong enough to fight them or countries with buddies strong enough to fight them. Russian policy has utterly capricious especially in recent years.

I'm condemning you for whining about how noone tries to understand Russia. Because everyone tries to do it but the actions are un-understandable unless you buy into alternate realities that the outside world frequently isn't even aware are being considered.

Kurnugia posted:

Neither is looking at international politics from the perspective of evil and righteousness. Because that gets us people like Bush and Blaire.

And Putin.

Majorian posted:

I think their argument is that NATO shouldn't have expanded as far eastward as it did, and that not letting Ukraine get as far as it did in the NATO membership process would have mollified some of Russia's concerns.

This is again to overinflate how far they got - they're literally in the same stage as Russia with the addition of "talking more" occasionally.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Sitting in a Sueddeutsche talk by the people responsible for letters and internets comments. They're viciously attacked by Russian propagandidts every day. It is horrible, vicious and as of yet unseen.

Russia is actively destroying reality. Only lies come out of Russia.

What. Is that some sort of a joke? A parody? Someone translate Lucy Heartfilia into sane English plz

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

What. Is that some sort of a joke? A parody? Someone translate Lucy Heartfilia into sane English plz

Russian propaganda is pretty effective.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I promise you Putin doesn't give a flying gently caress about right and wrong. Which creates a rather unstable situation when such a man tries to play the great game of geopolitics against people who very fervently do believe in their own righteousness.

Henry Kissinger is the reason why the human species didn't go up in a mushroom cloud

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Majorian posted:

It seems to me like they were defending Atzmon entirely on the basis of his criticisms of Israel, which is a pretty valid position to take.

I don't know how you draw that conclusion.

I have to tread very lightly here. This is not the Palestine-Israel thread. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't follow the Atzmon issue in 2011, that you didn't personally lose friends and colleagues over it.

Many people criticize Israel- I personally criticize Israel for its illegal and immoral occupation of Palestinian land.

But Mearsheimer chose specifically to write a blurb praising The Wandering Who? by Gilad Atzmon. It's is an anti-Semitic book.

Pro-Palestinian activists have widely and loudly censured Atzmon for his writings:

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/palestinian-writers-activists-disavow-racism-anti-semitism-gilad-atzmon

http://www.leninology.co.uk/2011/09/zero-authors-statement-on-gilad-atzmon.html

"Richard Seymour, Laurie Penny, et al. posted:

The thrust of Atzmon’s work is to normalise and legitimise anti-Semitism.

For some choice quotes from the book:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/09/john_mearsheimer_ready_for_ros.html
http://hurryupharry.org/2011/09/26/mearsheimer-and-walt-defend-antisemite-who-thinks-hitler-will-be-proved-right/

From Walt's FP blog, here's what Mearsheimer says (bold is mine):

quote:

In sum, Goldberg's charge that Atzman is a Holocaust denier or an apologist for Hitler is baseless. Nor is Atzmon an anti-Semite. He has controversial views for sure and he sometimes employs overly provocative language. But there is no question in my mind that he has written a fascinating book that, as I said in my blurb, "should be widely read by Jews and non-Jews alike." Regarding Goldberg's insinuation that I have any sympathy for Holocaust denial and am an anti-Semite, it is just another attempt in his longstanding effort to smear Steve Walt and me.

e:added link, I also removed my statement that "Others have singled out The Wandering Who? as exemplifing Atzmon's anti-Semitism:" referring to Richard Seymour's blog post. The post expresses disapproval over Zero Book's publishing The Wandering Who?, but does not deal with the book's claims.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 13, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

We are in 100% agreement here, I promise you. Russia is no less evil because NATO also made some bad mistakes.
Let's not mince words. We're not talking about mistakes (necessarily), we're talking about deliberately putting your own self-interest ahead of other people to a massive degree.

Majorian posted:

Which I, and many others, don't find that persuasive, since Russia turned around so fast. Had we seen a prolonged period of Russia being strong and friendly, but which eventually soured on the West due to us loving around where we didn't need to, then I would buy it. What happened in reality though seems more like "The USSR fell, the drunken president of Russia incompetently ran the country for a few years, only to be replaced by a far more capable man who quickly cemented his power and started making Eastern Europeans very happy NATO had expanded at the same time."

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but even Putin has to answer to the public, to some degree. There's a reason why his approval ratings have shot up over the invasion of Ukraine, and that reason is that he has sent what the Russians see as a major "gently caress you!" to the West.
Why is a "gently caress you!" to the West so important to Russians? Could it be because Putin hasn't really given them much hope for anything else, while consistently playing up how terrible the West is? How much Russian misery do you think can be laid at the feet of Putin and his cronies?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It depends on the political will. On the one hand there are higher costs. Those are diminishing rapidly! Especially since China is ramping up production of renewable energy technology massively. And over the long term renewable WILL be competitive. There is no doubt. On the other hand there is dependence on Russia and the whims of Putin. How costly is this dependence? Unknown, but Ukraine has shown that being dependent on Russia is not a good situation to be in.

Then there is transportation and heating:

More and more houses are being insulated and basically all new houses only need very little energy to be heated. So in this sector of the energy market time is also running out for Russia.

Finally in the transportation sector the prices are either stable or going down over the past couple of years. And at least in Germany there is a focus on reducing street traffic and transitioning to trains. So even in this sector over time dependence on Russia will be reduced.

The thing is, due to fluctuations in renewable output, Germany is currently running into the brick wall of not having enough energy storage. For an "energy dependence with green energy" scenario, we will still have to build hundreds of pumped hydro reservoirs which is going to, uh, take a while.

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: It's not Homonazi if the Spheres don't Touch

One more vote for the new thread title. Not that it matters, since the election results are already known before the votes are counted :v:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

Start a thread. I'll be there. I don't know much about Mexican politics (or Mexican anything, really) but I'm eager to learn.

Don't worry, I don't know poo poo about Mexican politics either but I can sum up the hypothetical D&D thread for you anyways. The main right wing party is a bunch of corrupt, incompetent shitlords, their main ideologues are hooting morons and the awful country bumpkins who support them talk wrong and I am am glad I don't live near anyone who supports them (except, sadly, my parents :(.) I can't believe that they are pursuing *insert current hot button issue here*. This country is honestly the worst, awful, awful, awful. The main leftwing party is trying to do good but there are too many moderates in it. I'm voting for the Green Party (or Not-Quite Communist Party) instead. Here is a picture of some of their cute female politicians or supporters, probably with lovely tattoos.

Sadly I actually do know enough about Mexican politics to know that PRI doesn't actually fit neatly on a left to right spectrum but still its fun to mock the other D&D national threads.

edit: That proposed thread title sucks. Neither of the two things it references are good and at least with the homonazi stuff using that word is a sign that your post probably sucks. Surely we should put our best foot forward instead of our worst. Also Ukraine? Mykraine! Was a much better title.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 13, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Don't worry, I don't know poo poo about Mexican politics either but I can sum up the hypothetical D&D thread for you anyways. The main right wing party is a bunch of corrupt, incompetent shitlords, their main ideologues are hooting morons and the awful country bumpkins who support them talk wrong and I am am glad I don't live near anyone who supports them (except, sadly, my parents :(.) I can't believe that they are pursuing *insert current hot button issue here*. This country is honestly the worst, awful, awful, awful. The main leftwing party is trying to do good but there are too many moderates in it. I'm voting for the Green Party (or Not-Quite Communist Party) instead. Here is a picture of some of their cute female politicians or supp

*posts picture of Subcomandante Marcos*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cliff Racer posted:

Don't worry, I don't know poo poo about Mexican politics either but I can sum up the hypothetical D&D thread for you anyways. The main right wing party is a bunch of corrupt, incompetent shitlords, their main ideologues are hooting morons and the awful country bumpkins who support them talk wrong and I am am glad I don't live near anyone who supports them (except, sadly, my parents :(.) I can't believe that they are pursuing *insert current hot button issue here*. This country is honestly the worst, awful, awful, awful. The main leftwing party is trying to do good but there are too many moderates in it. I'm voting for the Green Party (or Not-Quite Communist Party) instead. Here is a picture of some of their cute female politicians or supporters, probably with lovely tattoos.

Sadly I actually do know enough about Mexican politics to know that PRI doesn't actually fit neatly on a left to right spectrum but still its fun to mock the other D&D national threads.

edit: That proposed thread title sucks. Neither of the two things it references are good and at least with the homonazi stuff using that word is a sign that your post probably sucks. Surely we should put our best foot forward instead of our worst. Also Ukraine? Mykraine! Was a much better title.

I...I have no idea how to process this.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

PRI is the most successful revolutionary party on Earth. :colbert:

That uh doesn't mean they actually have to do anything, though.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I...I have no idea how to process this.

Make the thread, I'd like it and it'll be funny to see what crazy opinions work their way out.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
It seems increasingly clear to me that the Russians are attempting to set Poroshenko and the Yatsenyuk government against each other, and are probably succeeding. Compare these statements from today:

quote:

In an interview with the Russian television channel TV Centre, [Lavrov] said the Ukrainian prime minister "is undertaking efforts not in the interests of his own country, but of those who want to sow discord between the Ukrainian and Russian peoples and drive a deep and wide wedge between Russia and Europe". (Guardian)

And

quote:

“I think [Petro] Poroshenko is interested in promoting the peace agreements and needs support, first of all from the West, which staked on the transition of the situation in Ukraine from the post-Maidan state to a legitimate course. It’s with that purpose that the presidential elections were announced,” Lavrov told the Russian TVC channel.

The minister noted that “the West should support Poroshenko’s focus on the implementation of peace agreements”. (RIA Novosti)

All the ceasefire negotiations and the discussions with Putin are coming from Poroshenko's office. Meanwhile,

quote:

[Yatsenyuk] said: "We are still in a stage of war and the key aggressor is the Russian Federation … Putin wants another frozen conflict [in eastern Ukraine]." (Guardian)

Note also that Yatsenyuk confirmed today that he would be standing for election separately from the Poroshenko Bloc. (Pravda.ru is currently reporting this as "Yatsenyuk and Poroshenko dividing Ukraine".)

This goes back earlier, though, RT was reporting in late August that "the clear anti-Russian line was mainly promoted by Ukrainian PM Arseny Yatsenyuk" and that Poroshenko is pro-Russian.

e; Going back through the previous week's news I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of the instability of the ceasefire is down to powerplays going on in Kyiv

Zohar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 13, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Russian propaganda is pretty effective.
Indeed. It's the same effect that causes innocent people to confess to all kinds of crimes if they are not allowed to talk to anyone except their interrogator. Informational isolation erodes one's perception of reality remarkably quickly.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

New webpage of the Hungarian President's Office: http://www.keh.hu/ spot the problem. :psyduck:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wierre posted:

New webpage of the Hungarian President's Office: http://www.keh.hu/ spot the problem. :psyduck:

Why the gently caress are they using Braille on a visual medium? :psyduck:

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

my dad posted:

Why the gently caress are they using Braille on a visual medium? :psyduck:

Well... You can't say that their heart's not in the right place?
Wait, wait, wait, no, it's still Hungary. Forgot that for a second.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I live in Mexico and would also be interested in a general thread, the last one was when the teacher Elba Esther Gordillo was arrested (now she is sitting in a special cell in a prision isolated from the rest of the inmates with her own bathroom, food and daily visits from her yoga instructor). I wish I knew more about the general state of affairs so I could create the OP but I need to research a lot of stuff first.

Also right now is an interesting time, the president is trying to ram through a poo poo load of reforms which may or may not be in the general interest of the population. Their absolute control of mainstream media certainly does a lot to obscure stuff to the average viewer.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They're just preparing for the advent of haptic feedback. In a few years the website will work perfectly!

• Locked thread