Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I just want everyone in this thread to know they can finally rest easy, the monster has been caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So apparently there's a governor's debate going on right now? Doubt it will really impact November's outcome, though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keep it classy San Luis Obispo: http://calcoastnews.com/2014/09/supervisor-candidates-clash-hobo-bash/

quote:

A planned fundraiser for San Luis Obispo County supervisor candidate Lynn Compton involving “hobo stew” has become the center of the latest controversy in the nasty campaign for the fourth district seat.

The Compton campaign is planning an Oct. 5 fundraiser at the Oceano train depot in which attendees are invited to come dressed in hobo attire and eat soup dubbed hobo stew. The fundraiser has prompted allegations from incumbent Caren Ray’s campaign that Compton is showing contempt for homeless individuals.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I guess this would be a good place to ask, but how do I get an early/absentee mail-in ballot? I'd prefer to get my vote in before I go back to school at the end of the month.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Lynn Compton posted:

A hobo is not a homeless person, the Compton campaign says. Rather it is a traditional American lifestyle that values travel over stationary living and involves work, just usually in short stints.

"Gee golly dad, I figger when I get all big and stuff, I'll be a hobo."

"Hey Beaver, that's a great idea and a noble profession you've got lined up for yourself there."

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

For some context the national average is that agriculture uses 62% of the water withdrawn (if you're excluding thermoelectric withdrawals, since they aren't consumptive). And California produces 1/2 of the US fruit, nuts and vegetable crops. (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/PDFs/ResourceDirectory_2013-2014.pdf) If you're trying to get Americans to eat healthier, Californian crops are an important part of that.

Besides, what do you think the state should do? Should the state use eminent domain to acquire water rights and water contracts off of farms?

Edit, for fun here are the crops California produces >75% of the US crop: Artichokes, Broccoli, Carrots, Caulifower, Celery, Garlic, Lettuce, Processing Spinach, Processing Tomatoes, Almonds, Apricots, Avacodos, Raspberries, Strawberries, Dates, Figs, Grapes, Kiwifruit, Lemons, Nectarines, Olives, Clingstone Peaches, Pistachios, Plums, Walnuts.

Let's not forget marijuana, which is also pretty water-intensive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

redscare posted:

Let's not forget marijuana, which is also pretty water-intensive.

Indeed, illegal weed grows are one of the largest threats to Salmon.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Indeed, illegal weed grows are one of the largest threats to Salmon.

Yep. Weed partially blame to for Eel River's near disappearance. source

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Whew. Not my district!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As long as we're talking about the homeless, according to this morning's California Report, Lancaster has found a solution to its homeless problem: just close its only public transit link to LA.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

It's unreal how every city's answer to homelessness is to drive them to somewhere else.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zeitgueist posted:

It's unreal how every city's answer to homelessness is to drive them to somewhere else.

Now, now. Some cities try to set up a support network which last until some new people move in and then those new people try to drive the homeless elsewhere. See Venice, Santa Monica, and inexplicably Skid Row now. It still boggles my mind that people move to areas known fore mostly for their homeless population and then are shocked and outraged that they have to look at homeless people everyday.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Now, now. Some cities try to set up a support network which last until some new people move in and then those new people try to drive the homeless elsewhere. See Venice, Santa Monica, and inexplicably Skid Row now. It still boggles my mind that people move to areas now fore mostly for the homeless population and then are shocked and outraged that they have to look at homeless people everyday.

Keeping in mind study after study says it costs the city less to flat-out house the homeless than to treat them poorly.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Keeping in mind study after study says it costs the city less to flat-out house the homeless than to treat them poorly.

This is not always true. It's cheaper on a societal level, yes. But costs are often paid through many different levels of government (police and fire which are local, healthcare which is private/federal, housing which is local/federal, etc.).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Slobjob Zizek posted:

This is not always true. It's cheaper on a societal level, yes. But costs are often paid through many different levels of government (police and fire which are local, healthcare which is private/federal, housing which is local/federal, etc.).

Yeah I'm aware but nobody gives a poo poo beyond shuffling folks somewhere else.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah I'm aware but nobody gives a poo poo beyond shuffling folks somewhere else.

I don't think this is true. Sure, there are political costs here to providing "handouts," but I think if one level of government faced all the costs and benefits of helping the homeless, something would actually happen.

Also, keep in mind that LA is in the wrong here, no Lancaster. LA can't effectively manage it's homeless population, and so some of the homeless migrate to other areas to receive services. Obviously, Lancaster doesn't want that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I don't think this is true. Sure, there are political costs here to providing "handouts," but I think if one level of government faced all the costs and benefits of helping the homeless, something would actually happen.

Also, keep in mind that LA is in the wrong here, no Lancaster. LA can't effectively manage it's homeless population, and so some of the homeless migrate to other areas to receive services. Obviously, Lancaster doesn't want that.

Are homeless people the responsibility of the city they were born in? The one they lost their home in? The last place they claim residence?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Eat poo poo, Tim Draper :dance:

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Are homeless people the responsibility of the city they were born in? The one they lost their home in? The last place they claim residence?

I don't think any level of government is formally responsible here. Ideally, the federal government would be more responsible. Since they aren't, larger cities with the resources to offer services should be more responsible.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I don't think any level of government is formally responsible here.

Yep, that's kinda the thing.

And folks die on the street because of it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

skid row has free parking though

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

'Six Californias' plan falls short of making November 2016 ballot

quote:

The initiative, the brainchild of Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper, did not have enough valid petition signatures, according to the California secretary of state's office.

I'm sad. Now we won't get to find out how badly it would've gone down in flames.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Family Values posted:

'Six Californias' plan falls short of making November 2016 ballot

I'm sad. Now we won't get to find out how badly it would've gone down in flames.

Tim Draper is a pretty hilarious startup loon.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the more interesting tidbit is this:

quote:

Supporters of the Six Californias measure sponsored by Tim Draper, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist, turned in more than 1.13 million signatures. But a statewide sampling showed that only 752,685 of them were from voters registered in California, short of the 807,615 needed to qualify for the ballot, the secretary of state said.

So they got over 350,000 signatures from non-Californians.

Now we gotta figure out how many of them were Texans who simply want California to burn. :)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I think the more interesting tidbit is this:

So they got over 350,000 signatures from non-Californians.

Now we gotta figure out how many of them were Texans who simply want California to burn. :)

Or they were from Californians who thought they were registered to vote but were in fact wrong. Or dead people. Or Mickey Mouse.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Let's turn the reagan presidential library into a homeless shelter. Bunk beds in the Oval Office replica.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The most compelling demonstration of his political legacy imaginable. What more could a Presidential library ask for?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The most compelling demonstration of his political legacy imaginable. What more could a Presidential library ask for?

Not allowing anyone sheltered in the library with HIV to have access to treatment, and never discussing the issue at all. Obviously.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

e_angst posted:

Not allowing anyone sheltered in the library with HIV to have access to treatment, and never discussing the issue at all. Obviously.

Staff the shelter entirely with former union air traffic controllers.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No, why not have the library staffed by the Taliban?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sell the library to Iran, and use the money to fund Nicaraguan terrorist militias.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Yep, that's kinda the thing.

And folks die on the street because of it.

I mean, federalism is the root of tons of American social problems. So, homeless people dying is the "price of freedom" or something.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
For those of you who have been paying attention to the Honda/Khanna race, Ro Khanna is going to be on KQED's Forum tomorrow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On California occasionally getting something right:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-15/calpers-to-exit-hedge-funds-citing-expenses-complexity.html

Calpers basically decided to dump all their hedge fund investments

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

etalian posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-15/calpers-to-exit-hedge-funds-citing-expenses-complexity.html

How is it even allowed to invest in hedge funds? Aren't most pension programs limited to conservative AAA stuff(assuming it's not fraudulent housing market trash, which is how Calpers originally was burned in 2008)?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

How is it even allowed to invest in hedge funds? Aren't most pension programs limited to conservative AAA stuff(assuming it's not fraudulent housing market trash, which is how Calpers originally was burned in 2008)?

Wasn't the whole point of tranching so that companies could rate stuff higher than it was worth specifically so that institutional investors could buy in

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

etalian posted:

Haha, at the very end of that video someone brings up the fact that everyone has access to the markets, which changes how the markets work. Poor people, once again ruining the lives of the rich.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

No, pension companies are allowed to invest in a bunch of stuff ranging from low risk to high risk to try and smooth out returns. It just comes out to there being a certain percentage that has to rated super-low risk AAA stuff. Hedge funds can run any risk profile they want and the investors use the managers' risk numbers as part of their own models. (The ones people hear about are the ones that have such high returns year-over-year that folks are willfully blind to the fact that they're doing something illegal). The article is just saying that it turns out CalPERS' experience has been getting charged a shitload of fees for basically no gain so they're getting the gently caress out.

(Basically the only reasons why I could see a pension company investing in hedge funds are if they've been bamboozled or someone is directing public money to their friend's hedge fund).

The only thing that burned pensions and everyone else was that the banks were hocking MBS's that returned a lot and were rated as super low risk but turned out to be piles of poo poo that the ratings companies were rubber-stamping as good as gold and were being sold at criminally inflated prices.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ron Jeremy posted:

Wasn't the whole point of tranching so that companies could rate stuff higher than it was worth specifically so that institutional investors could buy in

Yeah that's how they got defrauded during the 2000's market, the AAA-safe stuff wasn't and the banks knew it. Basically what Shear says.

Hedge funds are a bit different though.

Shear Modulus posted:

No, pension companies are allowed to invest in a bunch of stuff ranging from low risk to high risk to try and smooth out returns. It just comes out to there being a certain percentage that has to rated super-low risk AAA stuff. Hedge funds can run any risk profile they want and the investors use the managers' risk numbers as part of their own models. (The ones people hear about are the ones that have such high returns year-over-year that folks are willfully blind to the fact that they're doing something illegal). The article is just saying that it turns out CalPERS' experience has been getting charged a shitload of fees for basically no gain so they're getting the gently caress out.

(Basically the only reasons why I could see a pension company investing in hedge funds are if they've been bamboozled or someone is directing public money to their friend's hedge fund).

The only thing that burned pensions and everyone else was that the banks were hocking MBS's that returned a lot and were rated as super low risk but turned out to be piles of poo poo that the ratings companies were rubber-stamping as good as gold and were being sold at criminally inflated prices.

I've always regarded Hedge Funds and way high risk and basically just a place to gamble your money, but I didn't imagine that giant pension funds were buying into them.

As you say, they got suckered or something shady is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah that's how they got defrauded during the 2000's market, the AAA-safe stuff wasn't and the banks knew it. Basically what Shear says.

Hedge funds are a bit different though.

I've always regarded Hedge Funds and way high risk and basically just a place to gamble your money, but I didn't imagine that giant pension funds were buying into them.

As you say, they got suckered or something shady is going on.

Somewhat off topic but hedge funds suck when you look at real world performance after all the rip-off fees.

Low cost passive index investing on the other hand actually gets better returns with much lower overhead.

The Hedge funds did only make up 1.4 percent of the total Calpers portfolio but the fund are naturally grumpy since it means a big ticket selloff for the funds.