Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Bookmark it, right click the bookmark, go to properties and add a keyword for it. Keywords have the highest priority, so if you type one and slam enter, you'll always load the corresponding bookmark.

Autocomplete is handy, but always subject to change based on what sites you're going to recently. Whenever I get really used to a shortcut phrase, I make it a keyword. I just have a bookmarks folder named "Keywords" where I put them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
OK. Something has gone horribly wrong for me; Somehow, Classic Theme restorer is not playing nice with the latest firefox, what with the Firefox button being behind the tabs and not being clickable unless I tick the main menu option and the bookmarks bar being squeezed in together. Is there a way to fix all this?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Superb Owls posted:

OK. Something has gone horribly wrong for me; Somehow, Classic Theme restorer is not playing nice with the latest firefox, what with the Firefox button being behind the tabs and not being clickable unless I tick the main menu option and the bookmarks bar being squeezed in together. Is there a way to fix all this?

Try the "restore defaults" button in firefox's customize view. The recent update screwed up my buttons too (though in a different way) and that seemed to fix everything.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I'm glad the RSS icon is back, but why? Did they bring it back "just because", or do I have it only because I disabled the RSS icon in url bar extension I was using (and disabling it enabled the built-in one).

I can't find the icon in the customize palette, so I'm not sure.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone else been getting a stupid number of FLash crashes on Firefox since updating to version 15? IGN is particularly bad.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

I'm glad the RSS icon is back, but why? Did they bring it back "just because", or do I have it only because I disabled the RSS icon in url bar extension I was using (and disabling it enabled the built-in one).

I can't find the icon in the customize palette, so I'm not sure.
The Subscribe icon is in my customize palette under "Additional Tools and Features". I don't know if it is the same thing you are seeing.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Did the recent update remove the ability to use Shift+Option to select portions of the URL in the Awesome Bar? I used to use it all the time to manipulate URLs.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

pipes! posted:

Did the recent update remove the ability to use Shift+Option to select portions of the URL in the Awesome Bar? I used to use it all the time to manipulate URLs.

Still works for me.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone else been getting a stupid number of FLash crashes on Firefox since updating to version 15? IGN is particularly bad.

I'm getting a lot of plugin container crashes, oddly enough, it's usually when I click on a new post link on SA.

Edit: Even after I disabled SALR.

Double edit: This page crashed three times in a row while reloading, and has been fine after, even with all Extensions off.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 13, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

This just happened to me today and it is terrible and is going to make me kill myself

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just had to switch Youtubecenter to 'aggressive' Flash, and Aurora is balking at anything that resembles an mp4. Granted that's nothing but vines and Twitter animated gifs for me, but it looks like something went sproing somewhere. Again.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alarbus posted:

I'm getting a lot of plugin container crashes, oddly enough, it's usually when I click on a new post link on SA.

Edit: Even after I disabled SALR.

Double edit: This page crashed three times in a row while reloading, and has been fine after, even with all Extensions off.

32.0.1 just came out and it mentioned crashes due to plugins. Give it a shot?

Bieeardo posted:

I just had to switch Youtubecenter to 'aggressive' Flash, and Aurora is balking at anything that resembles an mp4. Granted that's nothing but vines and Twitter animated gifs for me, but it looks like something went sproing somewhere. Again.

The mozilla team did a LOT of restructuring of the MP4 codebase to support OSX native h.264 rendering in 34. It's going to be buggy for a bit. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

jink posted:

32.0.1 just came out and it mentioned crashes due to plugins. Give it a shot?

The mozilla team did a LOT of restructuring of the MP4 codebase to support OSX native h.264 rendering in 34. It's going to be buggy for a bit. :(

Yeah, I upgraded to 32.0.1 last night, if anything it seems worse?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alarbus posted:

Yeah, I upgraded to 32.0.1 last night, if anything it seems worse?

:(

I've had a lot of crashes with 32 but I am running some extensions that use private APIs so I chock it up to that. Have you tried resetting your profile via the Help -> Troubleshooting menu? It retains your settings but can possibly fix your issues?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

jink posted:

Wumph. Oh well, what I get for running early code. At least I didn't have to go all the way back to stock youtube.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

jink posted:

:(

I've had a lot of crashes with 32 but I am running some extensions that use private APIs so I chock it up to that. Have you tried resetting your profile via the Help -> Troubleshooting menu? It retains your settings but can possibly fix your issues?

I have. I've had this issue on and off since v30, some times I put effort in to fix it, other times I put load SA into Chrome and do everything else in FF. I'll figure it out eventually. Maybe.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

drunken officeparty posted:

This just happened to me today and it is terrible and is going to make me kill myself

I'm getting this too, and it's pretty obnoxious.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For me find stopped working. I have no search addons, and ctrl+f does nothing. Find from menu doesn’t work either.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

The Menu Editor add-on doesn't like the new menu icons. You can either disable/remove Menu Editor until it gets updated (which it might not because it doesn't look like it's been touched for years) or disable the "context-..." items in Menu Editor to make them not show up.

And yes, plugin-container's been crashing a lot since version 32 for me too.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
I've been using Menu Wizard as a replacement for Menu editor. Seems to play well with others.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I managed to get those annoying context menu icons away, but now I've got a question that has been bugging me forever.

What the hell is with this

It looks like a dead pixel but it isn't and shows up randomly right there on a tab always in the same spot. It goes away if I tab out and back over. It annoys the crap out of me. I always think I have a spec of dirt on my screen and try to scratch it off.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
For those having Flash crashes since upgrading to Flash Player 15, try upgrading to the beta release of 15.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So with the latest 35 Nightly, there's the option for "E10S (multi-process)" but when I enabled it all I got was firefox still running in a single process with Greasemonkey not functioning for some reason. Is E10S really that early?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It should be giving you multiple processes, but it's definitely early and many extensions will need to be updated.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nintendo Kid posted:

So with the latest 35 Nightly, there's the option for "E10S (multi-process)" but when I enabled it all I got was firefox still running in a single process with Greasemonkey not functioning for some reason. Is E10S really that early?

Are the titles of your tabs underlined? If not, they're not E10S tabs. You should be able to hit the app menu and open a new E10S window which will (unsurprisingly) contain E10S tabs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Are the titles of your tabs underlined? If not, they're not E10S tabs. You should be able to hit the app menu and open a new E10S window which will (unsurprisingly) contain E10S tabs.

It was strange, some were underlined and some weren't, and I tried multiple methods of opening new windows and none spawned a new process. Must just be an early feature thing, guess I'll see if it works right in the next nightly.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
According to the wiki page on Electrolysis, "By default, only one content process is used. You can control this with the dom.ipc.processCount preference." Maybe that is what you want? It sounds like it isn't the same as Chrome where it puts each tab in its own process, rather it just spins off the content stuff into its own process to avoid browser UI hangs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nalin posted:

According to the wiki page on Electrolysis, "By default, only one content process is used. You can control this with the dom.ipc.processCount preference." Maybe that is what you want? It sounds like it isn't the same as Chrome where it puts each tab in its own process, rather it just spins off the content stuff into its own process to avoid browser UI hangs.

Nah it's just that it currently won't spawn any additional processes at all, but it is a bleeding edge nightly after all.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was recently having some issues I was noticing with a fresh Windows 8.1 OS reinstall and the latest Firefox 32 update on Windows 8.1. I figured I'd just uninstall and reinstall Firefox, again, to see if it fixed the issue.

However, I was noticing immediately after a reinstall it still had my extensions in place. I initially couldn't find any more Firefox or Mozilla folders, but I finally did a search which resulted in a few Mozilla folders full of files still existing in hidden folders under USERS\(account)\APPDATA\LOCAL\MOZILLA and USERS\(account)\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA, where I'm assuming all my old install stuff is getting mixed back with the new.

Should it be safe to delete these folders and try again?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was recently having some issues I was noticing with a fresh Windows 8.1 OS reinstall and the latest Firefox 32 update on Windows 8.1. I figured I'd just uninstall and reinstall Firefox, again, to see if it fixed the issue.

However, I was noticing immediately after a reinstall it still had my extensions in place. I initially couldn't find any more Firefox or Mozilla folders, but I finally did a search which resulted in a few Mozilla folders full of files still existing in hidden folders under USERS\(account)\APPDATA\LOCAL\MOZILLA and USERS\(account)\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA, where I'm assuming all my old install stuff is getting mixed back with the new.

Should it be safe to delete these folders and try again?

Run through the troubleshooting section in the OP. If you want to completely wipe your FF settings, yes, the folders you found are what you want to delete. That'll delete everything (bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Haha, adblock just makes e10s choke and die.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
To get 1080p video in the Youtube HTML5 player, got to about :config and toggle "media.mediasource.enabled" to True.

Nevermind this forces WebM, and 1080p WebM is worse than 720p H.264.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

To get 1080p video in the Youtube HTML5 player, got to about :config and toggle "media.mediasource.enabled" to True.

Great tip. I am patiently waiting for 34 so that h.264 videos can be played on OSX. :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Got the update to 32.0.2 the other day, and now I'm seeing a lot of hangs/unresponsiveness when I open more than maybe 5 tabs at once, where I didn't see this before. Any suggestions?

Edit: actually, I'm seeing occasional little pauses even when hitting ctrl+l to go to the URL bar, or opening one tab. This sucks a lot.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 20, 2014

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Aside from not liking the new interface and being stubborn about getting used to it, is there any reason to use things like Waterfox and Pale Moon? Or rather, is there any reason NOT to use them? I'm playing around between Waterfox and Pale Moon at the moment but I'm not exactly sure what other goodies I might be missing out on.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 21, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Black Pants posted:

Aside from not liking the new interface and being stubborn about getting used to it, is there any reason to use things like Waterfox and Pale Moon? Or rather, is there any reason NOT to use them? I'm playing around between Waterfox and Pale Moon at the moment but I'm not exactly sure what other goodies I might be missing out on.
The biggest downside is that you don't get the security and stability updates Mozilla pushes out and have to wait longer for new versions. Using a 64-bit build of Firefox also means losing performance because only the 32-bit version generates optimized JavaScript code, and giving up on the new Australis UI also means giving up on the performance benefits it brings.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I seem to recall waterfox found a way to address the javascript performance issue; they now proudly feature benchmarks on their front page.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Rastor posted:

I seem to recall waterfox found a way to address the javascript performance issue; they now proudly feature benchmarks on their front page.
The Waterfox site is just posting the set of benchmarks they win, and presenting the data in a misleading way. If you really like the baked-in customizations that's one thing, but you're paying a performance penalty and missing out on security and stability updates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Black Pants posted:

Waterfox uses the same interface as the Firefox version it shows by default, the guy's code changes are focused on having a better 64 bit compile than just compiling the regular Firefox code as 64 bit straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My concern with the spin-offs is that it seems like they're all done by just done small groups of people as a hobby rather than any kind of official group, so updates and the future of the project as a whole is up to their whims.

Alereon posted:

The Waterfox site is just posting the set of benchmarks they win, and presenting the data in a misleading way. If you really like the baked-in customizations that's one thing, but you're paying a performance penalty and missing out on security and stability updates.
To be fair, doesn't every browser do that?