Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oldswitcheroo posted:

Israel is America.

Nope, other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

DrSunshine posted:

Wait a second -- what?? In the 21st century?! I thought corporal punishment was banned across the country. What kind of savages are these people?! Jesus Christ.:psyduck:

You thought very wrongly, SO many people are ok with corporal punishment. Any conversation about it will involve someone telling you that they were beaten as a kid and they turned out fine. When I was in public schools, they made parents sign a thing saying they could beat the kids if they acted up. Though I guess if the guardian didn't consent to it the district wouldn't do it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

oldswitcheroo posted:

You thought very wrongly, SO many people are ok with corporal punishment. Any conversation about it will involve someone telling you that they were beaten as a kid and they turned out fine. When I was in public schools, they made parents sign a thing saying they could beat the kids if they acted up. Though I guess if the guardian didn't consent to it the district wouldn't do it.

Its just creepy to beat kids in school.

Coincidentally, corpral punishment in school is banned in states with significant catholic populations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was banned in Korean schools while I was living there, but still went on. Worst I ever saw was one teacher who'd make the kid go on all fours, arched up, and then get a running start and kick the kid square in the gut.

People were agitating to bring it back, since they banned it but schools there have no other means of discipline (there are no detentions or suspensions, you can't really dock grades since they're fake anyway, etc) so now there are no punishments for the kids at all. This works about as you'd expect.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Arizona apparently has it still legal but I can't think of anyone who has been beaten in school or know any teachers who would approve of the practice. A quick google search shows there were like, 16 incidents in 2008 so I'm going to chalk this up to A) rural areas with B) mormons.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
To be fair I grew up in three of those red states and never got whipped once and never saw anyone else get it either.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

oldswitcheroo posted:

The good news is most Americans even in the south don't think grade schoolers should be spanked. The bad news is most Americans especially in the south approve of spanking their kids otherwise

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90406

quote:

Spanking has its place, most Americans say — but not in school.

The public by a 2-1 margin approves of spanking children in principle, and half of parents say they sometimes do it to their own kids, an ABCNEWS poll found. But an overwhelming majority disapproves of corporal punishment in schools.

Sixty-five percent of Americans approve of spanking children, a rate that has been steady since 1990. But just 26 percent say grade-school teachers should be allowed to spank kids at school; 72 percent say it shouldn't be permitted, including eight in 10 parents of grade-schoolers.

Indeed, even among adults who spank their own child, 67 percent say grade-school teachers should not be permitted to spank children at school.

At Home

Among parents with minor children at home, 50 percent report that they sometimes spank their child, while 45 percent do not. That's about the same as it was in a Gallup poll a decade ago.

There are big regional differences in spanking. Among Southerners, 62 percent of parents spank their kids; that drops to 41 percent in the rest of the country. Similarly, 73 percent of Southerners approve of spanking children, compared to 60 percent elsewhere.

Even in the South, though, just 35 percent think spanking should be allowed in the schools. Support for spanking in the schools is about the same, 31 percent, in the Midwest, falling to 19 percent in the West and 13 percent in the East.

One other difference in spanking is among education groups. Among parents with college degrees, just 38 percent spank their kids; among less-educated parents, it's 55 percent.

also corporal punishment is always going to come down to the regional school district(if a state doesn't have a ban on it)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there corporal punishment in state schools in these states or is it just private ones? In the UK private schools were allowed to use corporal punishment for decades after it was banned in state schools.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Public schools I assume. I believe private ones can do whatever they want anywhere. I grew up in a non corporal punishment state and had friends getting ruler whacked by nuns at private school.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Public schools I assume. I believe private ones can do whatever they want anywhere. I grew up in a non corporal punishment state and had friends getting ruler whacked by nuns at private school.

Oh wow, so worse than I assumed. I can hardly believe my parents' stories about getting the belt at school in the 50s/60s, insane that it still goes on in the first world in 2014.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had no idea it was still legal anywhere in the US either. Legal and actually done are different things, though. I suspect it's not very commonly practiced but there's no political will to change the laws.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

marktheando posted:

So what forms of corporal punishment are used by the US government? Does the map refer to waterboarding and beating terror suspects or is corporal punishment used in prisons too?

According to wikipedia, judicial corporal punishment was last used officially in Delaware in 1952. The founding fathers were big fans of this practice, though, with e.g. Jefferson writing a law that punished witchcraft with 15 lashes of the whip.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

System Metternich posted:

According to wikipedia, judicial corporal punishment was last used officially in Delaware in 1952. The founding fathers were big fans of this practice, though, with e.g. Jefferson writing a law that punished witchcraft with 15 lashes of the whip.

During the time period that was basically the only kind of punishment there was. The idea of locking someone up for a period of time instead of beating them or killing them was still pretty new.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Berke Negri posted:

Arizona apparently has it still legal but I can't think of anyone who has been beaten in school or know any teachers who would approve of the practice. A quick google search shows there were like, 16 incidents in 2008 so I'm going to chalk this up to A) rural areas with B) mormons.

Except it's banned in Utah. Maybe Mormons don't put up with that poo poo.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
I did see kids get the paddle when I was coming up. Never got it myself though. It always struck me as normal, guess I'm just desensitized. They didn't start until like 3rd grade, so think 9-10 year olds. It's barbaric, but this was Rankin County, Mississippi; a horrible place filled with horrible people. :smith:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Golbez posted:

Except it's banned in Utah. Maybe Mormons don't put up with that poo poo.

I'm referring to Mohave County, armed compounds and child brides, not members of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Modern Day Hercules posted:

During the time period that was basically the only kind of punishment there was. The idea of locking someone up for a period of time instead of beating them or killing them was still pretty new.

Alternatively, we had stockades and other means of public shaming, such as tarring and feathering.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I have to say I guess I don't see what the big deal with school corporal punishment is, as long as it's done with parental permission, as it seems it almost always is. There's nobody to blame but their own lovely parents.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 13, 2014

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Sucrose posted:

I have to say I guess I don't see what the big deal with school corporal punishment is, as long as it's done with parental permission, as it seems it almost always is. There's nobody to blame but their own lovely parents.

Maybe we could bring it into the workplace. Instead of firing people for failing a drug test, just knock them about a bit, teach them a short sharp lesson.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Sucrose posted:

The biggest problems are that 1: It teaches kids that violence is the answer to their problems, 2: it's REALLY hard to draw the line between power-tripping adults and people who really want to keep discipline, 3: It may sharply contrast with the disciplinary philosophy of a child's parents, and that can cause repercussions both at school and at home, and 4: It often teaches kids they should fear their educators, especially if punishments are doled out unevenly.

On top of all that, it's very difficult to draw the line between reproving and child abuse with corporal punishment in general, schools really don't have much of a place doing it.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 13, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I had no idea it was still legal anywhere in the US either. Legal and actually done are different things, though. I suspect it's not very commonly practiced but there's no political will to change the laws.

I have to imagine this is the case. I went to school in Mississippi and Alabama and maybe remember one kid getting spanked and that was in Elementary School. I didn't even know it was an option in Middle and High School nor do I remember it ever being threatened.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uhm, you folks saying that you saw people getting beaten by teachers... care to say how long ago that was? A decade can make a big difference here.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kainser posted:

It's a bit out of date, Spain and Portugal has apparently banned it entirely as well.

e; it also has an extremely malformed Iceland :v:

"help me" :iceland:

Are those 3 pixels supposed to be the Faeroes? I support thier attempt at accuracy despite tiny image size.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Freudian posted:

Maybe we could bring it into the workplace. Instead of firing people for failing a drug test, just knock them about a bit, teach them a short sharp lesson.

:rolleyes: I meant that I don't see a great deal of difference between parents hitting their children, and parents giving schools permission to hit their children. The blame ultimately still rests on the parents deciding that it's good policy to hit their children.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Sucrose posted:

:rolleyes: I meant that I don't see a great deal of difference between parents hitting their children, and parents giving schools permission to hit their children. The blame ultimately still rests on the parents deciding that it's good policy to hit their children.

So you're saying that schools should not only condone lovely parenting but implement it on their behalf because... they won't get blamed for it?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

oldswitcheroo posted:

I started school in Oklahoma in 1977 and every year on the first day of school they would give us a note that our parents could sign and return to tell the school not to use corporal punishment. Every year I begged my Mom to sign it and she always refused. Both times that I got paddled in elementary school, it was because another kid lied to the teacher - once a girl told the teacher I said "gently caress" and another time a boy said I stole his toy car, and I don't think he even brought one to school and I sure didn't have it.

I got spanked a couple of times in middle school over tardiness, once in high school for punching a kid in the nose, and twice for getting caught smoking cigarettes. In high school we could choose whether to get detention or take "licks" (one lick per hour of detention), almost all boys chose licks and the few times I went to detention it was 90% girls.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Wait a second -- what?? In the 21st century?! I thought corporal punishment was banned across the country. What kind of savages are these people?! Jesus Christ.:psyduck:

republicans

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Some private schools and rural public schools still do it in Texas. In my schools the parents had to give explicit permission, I don't recall it ever happening.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

It was banned in Korean schools while I was living there, but still went on. Worst I ever saw was one teacher who'd make the kid go on all fours, arched up, and then get a running start and kick the kid square in the gut.

People were agitating to bring it back, since they banned it but schools there have no other means of discipline (there are no detentions or suspensions, you can't really dock grades since they're fake anyway, etc) so now there are no punishments for the kids at all. This works about as you'd expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)

Maybe you can even have annual North versus South competitions! I think the kids from the south would have the edge in biometrics but the northerners would probably have nothing to lose.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

Students can be shifted around from school to school until they end up at a "last stop before jail"
technical high school. They're not fun places to be.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Proud Corsica remains furry less.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Check out the sharp divide between Germanic Europe and the rest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I now see what the gently caress is wrong with flanders and why they (we) may want to secede from the rest. I need to move to the south of the country stat!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
One potential issue with that map: Isn't the Internet still sorta dependent on your first language for many people? I'm pretty sure I saw a map/infographic that had France as being not particularly connected to the English-speaking Internet, where for example the Netherlands and the Nordic Countries were very well integrated. (For obvious reasons.) It seems entirely possible that there is a significant French furry community, just one that doesn't overlap as much with the English-speaking furry community.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It seems entirely possible that there is a significant French furry community

I'm trying to figure out a circumstance where a Finn becomes enamored with being a furry and if one exists, you can bet there are at least a million French furries.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

I like how closely this overlaps with the borders of the Roman Empire (England is an aberration, obviously).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are two of them living in my town, and they're friends with each other. How many furries does YOUR location have?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One potential issue with that map: Isn't the Internet still sorta dependent on your first language for many people? I'm pretty sure I saw a map/infographic that had France as being not particularly connected to the English-speaking Internet, where for example the Netherlands and the Nordic Countries were very well integrated. (For obvious reasons.) It seems entirely possible that there is a significant French furry community, just one that doesn't overlap as much with the English-speaking furry community.

There seems to be a version of the site in every major language, but yes, that's almost certainly the case.

Do you still have that map? I love that type of statistics.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

A compelling argument for Scottish independence.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Only noble Mecklenburg-Vorpommern remains furryless among the germans

But yeah, I'm guessing that 'furrymap.net' isn't the most accurate source for the worldwide distribution of Furries.