Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Fried with garlic they are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A lot of chicken sellers can afford to stay in business because China loves chicken feet.
http://freakonomics.com/2011/12/09/the-economics-of-chicken-feet-and-other-parts/

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

TWBalls posted:

I've never eaten them, but just looking at them this is the impression I get. The only thing I can see using them for would be to make some stock.

Yep, that's all most westerners use them for.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

or feed 'em to your cat/dog as a treat.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn, I forgot Food Lion even existed. They shuttered all of their stores here in the 90s.

The one down the street from here is now an alternative school for the local ISD, another one nearby is a Goodwill store. I've even seen one turned into a post office.

Holy poo poo how many did that happen to? :psyduck: The one down in Carrollton was also turned into a *ISD building and the Coppell one is now a UPS regional office of some kind.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

All of the ones in DFW closed - and most of Texas, I think?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

An indirect result was that Food Lion ended up exiting the Houston, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex markets

I thought the Carrollton one was turned into a library? Or was there more than one in Carrollton? The one I'm thinking of is on Josey, a bit north of Hebron. You really can't recognize it as a former Food Lion anymore, but I used to live in the neighborhood right behind it, and shopped there a few times in the 90s.

e: looks like there was one on Keller Springs too, is that the one that was purchased by the ISD?

All the ones I described in the previous post were in Plano.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 12, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, I'm surprised at how many of them turned into public service buildings of some kind. I guess it was because of growth in the area during that period, and it was an easy source of large buildings? I was only in elementary school at the time, so I don't now if that factored into things at all; all I remember from them closing is getting a poo poo ton of those freezer pops on a clearance sale lol

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I have a Food Lion about a block away from me that they just opened 2-3 years ago. It is smaller than other stores around and the selection can be limited with some things but you can't beat the convenience of it being so close.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many of them turned into public service buildings of some kind. I guess it was because of growth in the area during that period, and it was an easy source of large buildings?

Most of them sat empty for years - I think the one on Josey was empty for well over 5 years (I want to say 7 years), and the one by my house (the alternative school) was also empty for at least 5. Pretty sure it's more because the banks were desperate to unload them by then (i.e. dirt cheap).

iForge posted:

I have a Food Lion about a block away from me that they just opened 2-3 years ago. It is smaller than other stores around and the selection can be limited with some things but you can't beat the convenience of it being so close.

Yeah that's exactly why I shopped at the one that's now a library - it was half a mile from the house. There was a Tom Thumb (originally a Texas chain, now owned by Safeway) a block further, but they were a lot more expensive.

They were doing pretty poorly in DFW even before the ABC Primetime special, I think partly because of how small they tended to be. At least in DFW, pretty much every non-specialty grocery store has a pharmacy. Obviously excluding Save A Lot, Aldi, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. We have an insanely crowded grocery market here; at one point, most of the well known chains had most of their stores open 24/7 (Tom Thumb[Safeway], Albertsons, Kroger) - now it's pretty much only Wal-Mart (and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market) that's open 24/7. Albertsons is all but unknown here now, they closed all of their newer/nicer stores and only kept a few really old stores open. It's always a shock when I go back to El Paso to visit and Albertsons dominates the area (and has the newest/nicest stores).

edit: I worked in grocery for almost 4 years, still have an obscene :spergin: amount of knowledge about the industry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 12, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
There is another one about 4 miles away that is a lot larger but I don't go there because its a poo poo neighborhood. The one by my house used to be a dollar store, and quite a large one, but the building is still too small for a grocery store.

There is, however, a liquor store that used to be a grocery store nearby. That place loving rocks. They have everything you can imagine, including drunk snacks and mixers.

Thread title : These are the people you share a grocery store with

iForge fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 12, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just saw some loving idiot stopped IN THE LEFT TRAVEL LANE OF I90W because they had a flat. And then get out of the loving car and walk behind it to look at it.

Called em into the state police, idiots who endanger others that badly shouldn't be allowed to drive.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

kastein posted:

Just saw some loving idiot stopped IN THE LEFT TRAVEL LANE OF I90W because they had a flat. And then get out of the loving car and walk behind it to look at it.

Called em into the state police, idiots who endanger others that badly shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Almost as good as the idiots from Burning Man, two years ago, that parked on I-80 to take pictures of the Truckee River.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

kastein posted:

My dad was involved in a multi car wreck many years ago because some idiot stopped and got out of his car during a blizzard in near whiteout conditions. That idiot then proceeded to try to sue everyone involved in the pileup that he caused. Luckily, it was all handled by the insurance companies, but I do remember some tense times in the house for a while there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ask me about rear-ending someone in California and being found not at fault!

Someone parked their car in an exit lane. Put car in park. On an off ramp. No brake lights, no motion, nothing; just sitting in the car (in park) because the light was going to take a long time. CHP took everyone's statements. My insurance went after their insurance, and everything was fine in the end (my insurance won, and I'm not at fault).

People are, have always been, and will remain, incredibly stupid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Uthor posted:

A lot of chicken sellers can afford to stay in business because China loves chicken feet.
http://freakonomics.com/2011/12/09/the-economics-of-chicken-feet-and-other-parts/
I took a Chinese girl on a date once, and she ordered us chicken feet. Served cold.

Your brain can almost be tricked into thinking it's chicken-flavour pasta. Almost. Almost isn't enough.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Someone parked their car in an exit lane. Put car in park. On an off ramp. No brake lights, no motion, nothing; just sitting in the car (in park) because the light was going to take a long time. CHP took everyone's statements. My insurance went after their insurance, and everything was fine in the end (my insurance won, and I'm not at fault).

My cousin had the same thing happen to him years ago, woman parked on an off ramp, yelling at her kids. Except in Texas, if you rear-end someone, it's always your fault.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Having finally tried chicken feet, I see no reason to eat them unless you are in desperate need of food AND you're raising your own chickens so your choices are to eat them or throw them out.

We had chickens when I was growing up, I've seen what they step in with those feet, I'll pass. (hint: it's their own poo poo, constantly)

Good for stock, soups or things like that. But they need to be way way cheaper than that price seemed, otherwise I'm just using left over bones from whole bird roasts, or left over bones from just as cheap to buy wings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I fail to see how this isn't your fault unless it was dark with no lights on. It is a stopped car, it isn't had to notice. Brake lights are a, hey I'm slowing warning, because that can be hard to see.
Don't drive in the uk, because they are literally taught to pull the ebrake at stop lights and will fail the test if they don't.
He's stopped at queue, not just randomly, and also, you should maybe have seen the red light?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The guy was stopped at a red light at the end? That's a little different than him just sitting in the middle of the off ramp.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The guy was stopped at a red light at the end? That's a little different than him just sitting in the middle of the off ramp.

That is what I read. Person was at a long red, put it in park, OP rammed into him.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
more in the spirit of the beginnings of this thread, I spotted this guy at a stoplight a while back:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I'm out for a bike ride and come up to two morons blocking the road in a residential area. Some GM sedan is parked against the curb with their driver door fully open. Two feet next to them is a stopped SUV, straddling the yellow line. The morons were having a discussion, so I slowed down, made sure it was safe to proceed past, and yelled at them to stop blocking the road. About a minute later there was a lot of honking coming from behind me.

If you want to have a discussion, how loving hard is it to pull up 10 feet, pull over, park, and get out?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

dpidz0r posted:

more in the spirit of the beginnings of this thread, I spotted this guy at a stoplight a while back:

That took me a few seconds.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Brigdh posted:

I'm out for a bike ride and come up to two morons blocking the road in a residential area. Some GM sedan is parked against the curb with their driver door fully open. Two feet next to them is a stopped SUV, straddling the yellow line. The morons were having a discussion, so I slowed down, made sure it was safe to proceed past, and yelled at them to stop blocking the road. About a minute later there was a lot of honking coming from behind me.

If you want to have a discussion, how loving hard is it to pull up 10 feet, pull over, park, and get out?

This happens around here all the time. Also people driving in the opposite lane because it's a subdivision no one else will be driving when I am! :downs:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I'm at the grocery store and I'm pulling into a parking aisle and a lady walks suddenly right out in front of my car. Not a big deal, it's a parking lot, whatever. But then she strolls across to her car diagonally like she hasn't a care in the world, taking her time.

I then park my car and my wife and I walk towards the store. Said lady at this point has started up her ride and proceeds to throw it in reverse and back waaaaaaaay out right in front of us, blocking our path in kind of a dangerous/rude way. At this point there's a bunch of cars/pedestrians around and she's kinda stuck her business into all of that. She then backs her car even further and curves it out into the main area in front of the store, blocking several cars and several groups of people, continuing to push her car into people's path, then takes off casually.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's amazing what slapping your hand on a side panel or trunk will do to get someone's attention when they're that oblivious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pounding repeatedly on the trunk didn't stop the 15-year-old girl across the street from slowly backing her car into and knocking over my motorcycle, while I was standing beside it working on it, after she'd been sitting across the street for half an hour talking on her phone while I was out there working on it. Some people are just 110% oblivious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Pounding repeatedly on the trunk didn't stop the 15-year-old girl across the street from slowly backing her car into and knocking over my motorcycle, while I was standing beside it working on it, after she'd been sitting across the street for half an hour talking on her phone while I was out there working on it. Some people are just 110% oblivious.

What the gently caress was a 15-year-old doing driving a car? I don't know of anywhere that allows people under 16 to get an actual license, and presumably the parents/co-driver should've been a little more on top of poo poo if she were on a learner's permit.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Remind me to never drive in China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8bfNplEmfo

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Both Driver and Mother of the Year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNIBUh2JLBU

The police are looking into it.

http://jalopnik.com/insane-minivan-driver-go-fat-boy-ill-gently caress-you-up-1634002297

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

:staredog:

What a nut. That poor kid.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress was a 15-year-old doing driving a car? I don't know of anywhere that allows people under 16 to get an actual license, and presumably the parents/co-driver should've been a little more on top of poo poo if she were on a learner's permit.

According to this, ID, KS, ND, NM, MT, SC, SD, and WI do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bovril Delight posted:

:staredog:

What a nut. That poor kid.

quote:

I was super, super angry. I really was angry," said Kimberly Ong. "And, of course, he was taunting me somewhat. So, that obviously made me even more angry. I'm not the most happy about it. But, I could have probably chose some better words to use. I was upset and it's apparent. I don't totally 100 percent regret it.
:allears:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Kind of surprised she didn't play the "I have a child in my car" card.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus christ she needs a valium or something :stonk:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Haha she leaves a huge gap at a stop light and someone moves in it and she explodes? Her fault.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

This kind of behavior is so common here in my city that it didn't even seem outrageous enough to go viral. Part of the problem is that the police response times are >30 minutes to 911 calls so drunk rednecks know they can get away with this kinda poo poo.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yeah, I can't imagine what I'd do in a scenario like this. She'd probably be gone before anyone showed up to respond, so you can either record it or call 911 and relay the operator with as many details as you can before she leaves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

revmoo posted:

Part of the problem is that the police response times are >30 minutes to 911 calls so drunk rednecks know they can get away with this kinda poo poo.
Until they try it on with someone who is a proper psycho, or simply one step from a Falling Down scenario, and it gets them killed.

Don't pick fights with strangers, kids. You have no idea who they could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

This kind of behavior is so common here in my city that it didn't even seem outrageous enough to go viral.

Seconding this, I was kind of scratching my head at what felony charges they're going to bring against her. Yeah, she did touch/slap the guy but unless simple assault is a fifth-degree felony in Hawaii it doesn't look like she flew off the handle any more than any other road-raging rear end in a top hat.