Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

L0cke17 posted:

He's just eye-liner and fingerless gloves away from playing dredge in Legacy!

I feel like if I got paired against that guy, my chat with the rest of my team after the match would go one of two ways:

1) "I just played against a guy in the most ridiculous nerd uniform, straight from fedora to neckbeard! Nice guy though, we chatted through the match and he seems alright!"

Or

2) "I just played against a guy in a ridiculous nerd uniform, and he was a total douche, he refused to make eye contact or shake my hand afterwards."

Because I have been in both situations before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
One of my favorite matches ever happened last night.

Long story short:

I wad playing my B/W Enchantments. He was playing W/G Archangle of Thune. We didn't get past game one, went to turns. Turn 4 we decided he'd ultimate Garruk and swing in with everything he had in his stupidly large assembly of creatures with counters on them that now all had +5 and trample. If he'd either kill me or we'd draw. I had 64 life, he had 156. All my creatures (Erebos, Heliod, and 4 Heliod tokens) had lifelink and were buffed in various ways.

He swung in for 135, I absorbed (through blocking or lifelink) 58 of it.

I lost, but that poo poo was spectacular.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
a crack isn't a butthole, there'd be more problems if he was showing it off. Although people should wear a loving belt.

Northjayhawk posted:

Watching community cup and I'm confused about something.

How the hell does anyone lose to time in this? Yes, this is a wacky skill-testing format but still. I understand beginning players losing to time, and even experienced players early in a format but once you literally have played MTGO for years, aren't you immune to this method of losing?

Like a quarterback in the pocket, I always have a clock in my head where I just know that I'm taking too long, and if I'm in a tough spot where I wish I had more time to think, at some point you have to make a decision because losing to time sucks. I flat-out do not lose to time anymore, ever, period.

How are these guys having clock problems?
Maybe games get naturally long, especially since it's not a usual format.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

neetengie posted:

a crack isn't a butthole, there'd be more problems if he was showing it off.

Appreciate the clarification

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sirius Sam posted:

sounds like The Gaming Warehouse, am I right? Glad you're diggin' it. Hands down the best shop in the area and I'll probably see you there every thursday for modern!

Yup, that's the one. I live all the way over by the airport so it's not a fun drive, but seems worth it. None of the other shops I've looked at in the area seemed very organized, and at the very least Gaming Warehouse seems to have their poo poo very much together. I'll be there all next week and weekend, probably, my girlfriend is heading off to Florida for a conference for work so I'll have NOTHING to do but play magic, perfectly timed with prerelease!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Appreciate the clarification
I love you too man, it's pretty important for context. If you tell someone "Oh yeah someone got banned for taking pics of people who didn't hitch their pants up and their cracks were showing off" their reaction is different than if you tell them that someone took pics of magic players anus's showing. The first one is pretty bad but the last one implies a lot of nasty poo poo in the magic community, as if when a player wins or loses then they'll take off their pants and shove their anus in the opposing players face. The implication of the last one is worse than the former.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

What is your opinions on what will be a good mid-range deck if you want to play in the wedge colours?

My heart says go Temur, but my brain says go Abzan and I am confused :smith:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

What is your opinions on what will be a good mid-range deck if you want to play in the wedge colours?

My heart says go Temur, but my brain says go Abzan and I am confused :smith:

Abzan is long term creature control that really wants some kind of enchantment/creature that says "creatures are indestructible". As it stands, in the slow game they generally get run over, and in the long game they get wrathed before they can do their "Big" plays.

If you want Mid Range, I'd say Temur is your best bet. They're kind of about "play a 3 mana 4/4" and "hold up counterspells while bears eat your opponent"

deftest
May 7, 2011
What's going on with this guy's cards on the SCG stream? Are they all really beat up around the edges or identically altered?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So after an additional bunch of hours of testing last night, some thoughts:

- Despise is virtually Thoughtseize 5-8 in this format, and so much more powerful than Duress was for RTR/Theros. With Sphinx's Revelation rotating out, there's basically no non-creature, non-planeswalker spell you care about in your opponent's hand that you would want to take, aside from their own Thoughtseize. It feels like this Standard is going to be all about who has the biggest/most efficient threats, and stripping your opponent of threats and leaving him with just reactive cards gives you such a huge edge.

- Murderous Cut is a really powerful removal card. I probably wouldn't play 4-of in a deck, but the first 1 or 2 you cast in a game is just hyper efficient.

- Mardu Ascendancy is by far the most powerful of the ascendancy cards and I strongly suspect will be a format defining card. 1) if you have any creatures out, it grants immediate value the turn it comes down 2) It protects your board from Anger of the Gods / Drown in Sorrow 3) fantastic synergy with Butcher of the Horde (allowing him to give himself lifelink whenever he attacks) 4) if you have multiple copies out, the game gets utterly ridiculous 5) makes Rabblemaster better, and who doesn't want that?

- Savage Knuckleblade is obviously very powerful, and probably the best reason to play Temur. Great as an early draw because he's cheap, and great as a late draw because then he's like AEtherling's dumb little brother.

Theros/M15 cards that I think will be good in the new Standard: Ajani Steadfast (his +1 on Rabblemaster or Brimaz makes it much safer for them to attack, and his -2 on Sarkhan not only puts it immediately at 6 loyalty, but makes him a 5/5 dragon going forward), Stoke the Flames, Xenagos, the Reveler, Ashiok (at least as a sideboard card against any green deck), Rabblemaster obviously, Banishing Light, Caryatid, Courser, Polukranos, Stormbreath Dragon, Elspeth.

Next up I really want to test out some Delve decks, Jeskai control, and that 4/5 rhino in Abzan.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

qbert posted:

and his -2 on Sarkhan not only puts it immediately at 6 loyalty, but makes him a 5/5 dragon going forward

You can only do one or the other. When Sarkhan's a creature, he's not a planeswalker, and vice versa. (This is in contrast to Gideon, whose ability has "he's still a planeswalker".)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Carrasco posted:

You can only do one or the other. When Sarkhan's a creature, he's not a planeswalker, and vice versa. (This is in contrast to Gideon, whose ability has "he's still a planeswalker".)

Whoops, missed that part. Well, it's still a good combo, you just now have to pick which benefit you'd prefer.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Does circle of flame kill tokens popped by mardu ascendency?

I think the answer is no, until they attack a 2nd time.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

qbert posted:

- Mardu Ascendancy is by far the most powerful of the ascendancy cards and I strongly suspect will be a format defining card. 1) if you have any creatures out, it grants immediate value the turn it comes down 2) It protects your board from Anger of the Gods / Drown in Sorrow 3) fantastic synergy with Butcher of the Horde (allowing him to give himself lifelink whenever he attacks) 4) if you have multiple copies out, the game gets utterly ridiculous 5) makes Rabblemaster better, and who doesn't want that?

$0.68 on TCGPlayer right now. What are the odds that'll be a good investment?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Does circle of flame kill tokens popped by mardu ascendency?

I think the answer is no, until they attack a 2nd time.

It doesn't, the tokens come into play attacking, they aren't declared as attackers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stinkles1112 posted:

I would think the margins are going to be too low to worry about it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

stinkles1112 posted:

$3 for a playset? No reason not to buy.

Cards Mardu Ascendancy is insane with: Hall of Triumph, Purphoros, Goblin Rabblemaster, Obelisk of Urd, Butcher of the Horde, and everyone's favorite MURDER KING.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does bouncing a morph reveal it to the opposing player (the bouncer)?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

IIRC, yes, because a morph card changing zones at all must be revealed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheTofuShop posted:

Makes sense.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

As TheTofuShop said, yes. It also reveals it when it gets countered, I feel that this could come up often.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TheTofuShop posted:

This is correct:

quote:

707.9. If a face-down permanent moves from the battlefield to any other zone, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. If a face-down spell moves from the stack to any zone other than the battlefield, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. At the end of each game, all face-down permanents and spells must be revealed to all players.

Otherwise, it would be much easier to turn your top-decked plains into a grey ogre without getting caught.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is Tymaret, the Murder King something that could ever be constructed playable? I'm looking at getting back into Type 2 MtG for the first time in a few years, so I'm a little rusty on what's considered T2 good.

I really want to do a Mardu themed token deck with Purphoros, and Tymaret seems like it could be solid. But it's currently selling for 20 cents so it appears I'm wrong.

Edit: I see ol' Murder King was mentioned in answer to my last post, but still. Comboing well with one card doesn't mean constructed playable I suppose.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 13, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't think Mardu Ascendancy is very good. :goleft:

stinkles1112 posted:

Is Tymaret, the Murder King something that could ever be constructed playable? I'm looking at getting back into Type 2 MtG for the first time in a few years, so I'm a little rusty on what's considered T2 good.

I really want to do a Mardu themed token deck with Purphoros, and Tymaret seems like it could be solid. But it's currently selling for 20 cents so it appears I'm wrong.

'Sup?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Day9 vs BDM in the battle of the best Arcade Game names... :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Devor posted:

That loving hat and ponytail and beard

Sorry for dredging this up from the last page but I can't get over how his hat doesn't even seem to work like a normal fedora/trilby/whatever. I'm not sure if it's because it's too small for his head or what but it sits so high and tall. It's like a fedora and a shako had a baby.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Sorry for dredging this up from the last page but I can't get over how his hat doesn't even seem to work like a normal fedora/trilby/whatever. I'm not sure if it's because it's too small for his head or what but it sits so high and tall. It's like a fedora and a shako had a baby.

I imagine it comes from him trying to wear a fedora AND have a ponytail.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Went to a draft last night and my opponent didn't show up for the first round. Apparently he left during deckbuilding. The guy next to him told me he said "gently caress this" and just got up and left all his cards. Weird. I haven't drafted outside of my group of friends much, does that happen often?

If there's anyone from the NYC area here, what's your favorite place to play? I've been going to Twenty Sided in Brooklyn lately.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are we all just ignoring that his opponent is named "Boozer"?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Montasy chapter 2 has been my favorite place to play at NYC. My friend lives in manhattan so it's the closest. Its a lot better than the old store that used to reside next to the Empire State Building that had a basement tournament area. Ugh.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Ha, I did completely miss that. I think when you average out the name and the dressing/grooming, though, Boozer comes out way ahead.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Cheesegod posted:

I haven't drafted outside of my group of friends much, does that happen often?
I haven't ever heard of this happening. I have, however, seen an entire sleeved draft deck in the trash after an early round.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

Edit: I see ol' Murder King was mentioned in answer to my last post, but still. Comboing well with one card doesn't mean constructed playable I suppose.

It depends on whether you want to have fun or if you want to place with some regularity. He's got some fun synergies, but most of those synergies just amount to "spend a bunch of mana, deal 2 or 4 damage."

Lots of people around here love him, but I'd be surprised if he Top 64'd more than one tournament.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boco_T posted:

I haven't ever heard of this happening. I have, however, seen an entire sleeved draft deck in the trash after an early round.

You obviously scavenged that good stuff, right?

(I seriously think I would)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Entropic posted:

He actually owns/operates one of the larger stores in the Atlanta area.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Rinkles posted:

You obviously scavenged that good stuff, right?

(I seriously think I would)
One of the grindier players at the shop scavenged the sleeves, I don't think the deck ended up with any non-bulk rares in it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

En Fuego posted:

You do realized he was banned for a while for that, right? Kind of that whole stance of, don't be an rear end in a top hat in the community!

As for lightening up, nah. I won't on stuff like that.

Hahaaha you do realize Sidney Blair has done more for the magic community than bdm, kibler, gay Cedric, straight Cedric and rosie combined right?

Estas en fuego Papi thaz real.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

before khans, tymaret was basically stone cold unplayable except in a niche deck that is the lovechild of the guy with the tymaret avatar on this board. Post rotation, however, there is a genuine chance for enough support with butcher of the horde, bloodsoaked champion, grim haruspex and others for an aristocrats style deck to florish, and tymaret provides a valuable sac outlet for that deck.

i'm pretty high on it mostly because butcher strikes me as perhaps the best creature in khans, but tymaret is going for a loving quarter right now. its pretty much a freeroll to grab as many as you can get your hands on.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

always be closing posted:

Hahaaha you do realize Sidney Blair has done more for the magic community than bdm, kibler, gay Cedric, straight Cedric and rosie combined right?

Estas en fuego Papi thaz real.

I saw a man rear end crack playing magic earlier. His influence wasn't strong enough :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I don't really see the synergy between Tymaret and Butcher. Could you explain?

• Locked thread