Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

SlayVus posted:

I'm looking for a white wedding cake recipe. I want to do some friends a favor a bake them a simple wedding cake, frost it, and possibly decorate with some ribbon. I plan on testing maybe one or two, but would like some suggestions.

White cake:

http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/02/white-wedding-cake-and-swiss-meringue.html

Yellow cake:

https://blog.etsy.com/weddings/make-your-wedding-cake/

Alternate yellow cake and a chocolate cake too:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/06/project-wedding-cake-an-introduction/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
How long do pizza dough balls keep in the fridge? When's a good time to transfer them to the freezer if it doesn't look like I'll get to them soon?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I want to make Chinese pork mince and preserved vegetables for dinner. Most recipes say to make the mixture and put it in a ceramic bowl inside a steamer to cook. In the past I have made the mixture in a metal bowl and put it in my rice cooker on top of the rice which always worked well.

Unfortunately I have gotten a smaller rice cooker since the last time I made this dish and my metal bowl doesn't fit inside the cooker anymore :(

Would it work if I put the metal bowl (with the mince mixture in it) in the top basket of my steamer and steamed it with the lid resting on top?

Pictures for reference:

edit to update: I ended up steaming the mince mixture in the metal bowl sitting in the steamer for about an hour and it was delicious :chef:

cyberia fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 11, 2014

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

reflex posted:

I've started baking my own bread (no knead-flour, salt, yeast) and my cookbook (bittman) declares that if I want to use whole wheat flour (and I do), the highest ratio I can go is 50:50 for white:whole wheat. Is this a flexible rule or will going above that ratio bake me a brick?

Irish soda bread can go waay higher with the wholewheat, but it is quite a different texture compared to a yeast bread and not really suitable for sandwich making due to the shape:

http://odlums.ie/recipes/brown-soda-bread/

(cream flour is basically ordinary cake-baking flour, not strong flour)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I impulse bought some Asian sticky corn at the farmer's market. How do I use it? I'm only familiar with sweet corn.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CloseFriend posted:

How long do pizza dough balls keep in the fridge? When's a good time to transfer them to the freezer if it doesn't look like I'll get to them soon?

5-7 days.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

We're having a cold snap here, and cold weather and football season has me in the mood for a good soup. I'm thinking about making something with a real cheap cut of pork, like a pork shoulder. I plan on slow cooking the shoulder for 8-12 hours, pulling it into chunks, and then combining it with chicken stock, onion, carrot, celery, mild peppers, zucchini, a can of tomatoes, garlic, and maybe some fresh spinach or some other fresh green right at the end.

How should I go about seasoning this? My instinct is to use basil, oregano, and maybe a little cayenne or hot sauce for a hint of heat. Would there be a better seasoning route to go, and should I consider adding/subtracting anything else? Also is there a better cheap pork option besides slow cooked shoulder?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As far as a pork soup goes, I can see it going a few ways:

Pork chili

Pork with spicy noodle soup (think szechuan pork)

I would be interested in what a pork stew like a beef stew came out like, though. Maybe make it thicker and use coriander and paprika, tomato, garlic, green bell pepper, a jalepeno or two (no seeds though), onion, and serve it over white rice.

I like rubbing the pork down with some chipotle spice rub (or some of a can of chipotle peppers), slow cook it and pull it apart to throw on nachos.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeah, I'm thinking pork stew. I also thought of coriander, but I wasn't sure what else to match with it. Maybe coriander, paprika, fresh garlic, and fresh ginger? Perhaps some cumin as well? Would such a thing to well with zucchini and mirepoix?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm really picky about my pesto. Does anyone know of a good brand of pesto that does not have the stringy poo poo in it and doesn't have too much oil?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm really picky about my pesto. Does anyone know of a good brand of pesto that does not have the stringy poo poo in it and doesn't have too much oil?
I don't know brands, but pesto is pretty much dead simple to make and is something you can throw together à la minute or make batches ahead of time.

Pine nuts (a handful, I lightly toast them first), basil (a couple three handfuls), garlic (a couple cloves). Lightly mince the individual ingredients, then mix them together and mince fine until you get a consistency that you can sorta mold into a lump that'll keep its shape. You can refrigerate/freeze this until you need it. When you want some pesto, add enough oil to get the consistency you want. Squeeze half a lemon into the mix. Add some grated p. reggiano or pecorino or whatever floats your boat. Adjust with salt and pepper.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I shall do that, if I can find basil at a good price. It's like 3 bucks for a few leaves at the store I always go to.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
If you have a farmer's market nearby it's usually a lot cheaper there, in my experience.

I have a ton of ground beef and want to make pasties/pies. Does anyone have a good recipe?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Esme posted:

If you have a farmer's market nearby it's usually a lot cheaper there, in my experience.

I have a ton of ground beef and want to make pasties/pies. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Make empanadas! I used this recipe for the Pie or Die thread late last year (which looks like it's fallen into archives, unfortunately) and it was easy and delicious. And if you make a big batch you can freeze the excess empanadas for later.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Cabbage was like 39 cents a pound and I impulse bought a head of it for like a dollar. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I was thinking of making Miso soup, and one recipe has chard in it. Would cabbage be an ok substitute?

If not, what the hell do I do with this cabbage that isn't cole slaw, since mayonnaise is freaking disgusting, and mayo plus sugar is even grosser.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
Ricotta is on sale this week and I wanted to pick up a couple tubs. I already know how to make pasta based dishes with ricotta, can I get some recipe ideas that don't involve pasta? I eat mostly vegetarian so no meat either.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Charleston Jew posted:

Ricotta is on sale this week and I wanted to pick up a couple tubs. I already know how to make pasta based dishes with ricotta, can I get some recipe ideas that don't involve pasta? I eat mostly vegetarian so no meat either.

Cannoli. Aka the most awesomest dessert ever.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/homemade-cannoli-recipe.html

I would just buy the shells but that's also cause I have horrible luck with pastry stuff.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Leper Residue posted:

Cabbage was like 39 cents a pound and I impulse bought a head of it for like a dollar. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I was thinking of making Miso soup, and one recipe has chard in it. Would cabbage be an ok substitute?

If not, what the hell do I do with this cabbage that isn't cole slaw, since mayonnaise is freaking disgusting, and mayo plus sugar is even grosser.

Make bubble and squeak or maybe some colcannon!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

You can make a raw cabbage salad that has no mayo. Shred the cabbage, massage in a little salt, let it sit to draw some moisture out, dress.

Another suggestion, baked stuffed cabbage rolls.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cabbage rolls are very delicious. Hmmm... Maybe also cabbage soup?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Leper Residue posted:

Kimchi. The answer is always kimchi. :kimchi:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SubG posted:

Oh yes, kimchi. And if you are afraid of the whole fermenting process, just make fresh kimchi.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

My first thought was sauerkraut, but he only has one head, might as well make something fresh.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We eat boiled cabbage with butter like once a week. Sometimes simple is good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Leper Residue posted:

Grill that bitch.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We eat boiled cabbage with butter like once a week. Sometimes simple is good.

Similarly, I will sometimes throw cabbage into the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for ~2 minutes. Butter is good, but the texture is so melty and tender and sweet that sometimes I just eat it with salt and pepper! Sounds a little plain, but it's delicious.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I like my cabbage shredded and cooked in a very hot pan and some oil and garlic. Once it's got some nice color and wilted but not totally mush, pull it out of the pan and throw a little bit of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) on there. It's a great cheap side dish.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oh yes, kimchi. And if you are afraid of the whole fermenting process, just make fresh kimchi.

I didn't know fresh kimchi was a thing. I don't really have the space to store a whole bunch of kimchi for however long it takes to ferment so I may have to try this.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Esme posted:

Make tourtiere with ground beef instead of the usual pork?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leper Residue posted:

I didn't know fresh kimchi was a thing. I don't really have the space to store a whole bunch of kimchi for however long it takes to ferment so I may have to try this.

Your countertop.

A week.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A coworker gave me two fresh ghost chilies, and I have decided to sacrifice my anus for the glory of flavor.

I'm thinking about blackening/peeling them, then making a pineapple or peach salsa with either swordfish or maybe mako (honestly whatever looks good @ whole foods tomorrow). I'm going to save the seeds and grow them indoors over the winter too.

Any thoughts on flavor combinations or cooking methods before i dig into the flavor bible?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

A coworker gave me two fresh ghost chilies, and I have decided to sacrifice my anus for the glory of flavor.

I'm thinking about blackening/peeling them, then making a pineapple or peach salsa with either swordfish or maybe mako (honestly whatever looks good @ whole foods tomorrow). I'm going to save the seeds and grow them indoors over the winter too.

Any thoughts on flavor combinations or cooking methods before i dig into the flavor bible?
I just use them like pretty much any other hot pepper. The flavour is somewhat fruity, but they're not as sweet as a habanero.

I'm not really into the whole mango chutney walnut encrusted tilapia school of fish presentation, so you might want to hear from someone else. But I definitely wouldn't pair a bhut and fruit salsa with a fish like swordfish or mako, which I think profit from a simple sear and maybe some compound butter or something if you want to get fancy.

If you want to showcase hot peppers in a fish dish, I'd go with something like pad ped pladuk: basically, make a paste of the peppers, garlic, and some onion in a M&P; lightly fry the paste in some oil, add some water or stock and then cook down until it's a sauce, add a little sugar and tamarind, briefly poach chunks of catfish in the sauce (the goal is to get the sauce clinging to the fish), remove the fish, drain but don't pat dry, fry the fish in hot oil until done, serve with the sauce.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm wanting to make some lentil flour but do I need to cook them, or can I just grind up the dry lentils? I hear all this poo poo about poo poo being poisonous or whatever but I have yet to die from things up until now, so...although if I ever have anyone eat anything I cook with it I don't want them to get sick or whatever.

If I must cook them, can I just parboil them for a few minutes before I dry them out or will I need to cook them fully through?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 13, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

toplitzin posted:

We have a great ghost pepper oil at work. Just 1-4 drops will heat a huge plate of food (beyond the heat most people can handle)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hmmm, I left 3 lbs of raw chicken in my crock pot for 2 hours (the electrical outlet had to be reset). Should I throw it out and get new chicken, or is it still good?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

casual poster posted:

Hmmm, I left 3 lbs of raw chicken in my crock pot for 2 hours (the electrical outlet had to be reset). Should I throw it out and get new chicken, or is it still good?

Cook it in a pan and you'll be fine. If you cook it in the crock pot the chances of it staying in the danger zone long enough to get iffy greatly increase.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I bought a big bag of dried new mexican chiles (the really big ones). The big one I grabbed out of the bag looked like it had mold inside on the seeds. Is that common? Should I be concerned with the rest of the chiles? They did not look moldy on the inside. I'm glad I opened it up to remove the seeds or else I wouldn't have noticed.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
What to do with three big bags of dried shitake mushrooms? I went a little nuts at the asian grocery...

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm cooking up a chicken to take for lunches this week. I'm sick on sandwiches and can't afford to eat out in Central London every day.

The thing is, what should I make to go with it? Some sorta carb that I can take along too? Would be grateful for your ideas.

Death to boring lunches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Salad? Grated carrot, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, cheese, cucumber, mustard and mayo.