Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perhaps you should go to the Archivo Histórico del Magdalena snd Notaría Primera de Aracataca and do some primary source research before fully accepting the hypothesis of these secondary sources.

Where are you copying and pasting from that it's mangling Archivo Histórico del Magdalena and Notaría Primera de Aracataca?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

Please don't. This thread doesn't need long vitriolic effortposts filled with bile.

this is incredibly untrue

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If we get too much bile in this thread the humors will become unbalanced, and the thread will sicken and die.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Warszawa posted:

Where are you copying and pasting from that it's mangling Archivo Histórico del Magdalena and Notaría Primera de Aracataca?

a pdf file?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
rip allende, rip arbenz, rip lumumba, rip mosaddegh, rip sankara

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Hey alcoholics

what (if anything) goes good with seagram's 7

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

made of bees posted:

Hey alcoholics

7-Up, ginger ale.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
cherry doctor pepper

e: thts the whiskey right? OJ if its the gin.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Miltank posted:

e: thts the whiskey right?

Technically, yes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Might as well ask "how do I get drunk?"

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

Might as well ask "how do I get drunk?"

Look I think I already have that covered I'm just

running out of options

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

made of bees posted:

Hey alcoholics

Toilet water, and flushing the toilet

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

SedanChair posted:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
good news! I found some tequila and drank that instead

So I've been wondering about something. Can someone with more knowledge of Arabic tell me: is the text on the ISIL flag supposed to look so...crude? Like, do they think calligraphy is satanic or something? I mean I wouldn't be surprised, they seem to think other time-honored Islamic traditions are evil. Or is it an overly faithful representation of an improvised flag from when they were still getting started as an insurgency? I mean look at the Saudi flag, it says the same thing but it looks a lot nicer.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

made of bees posted:

good news! I found some tequila and drank that instead

So I've been wondering about something. Can someone with more knowledge of Arabic tell me: is the text on the ISIL flag supposed to look so...crude? Like, do they think calligraphy is satanic or something? I mean I wouldn't be surprised, they seem to think other time-honored Islamic traditions are evil. Or is it an overly faithful representation of an improvised flag from when they were still getting started as an insurgency? I mean look at the Saudi flag, it says the same thing but it looks a lot nicer.

It's an exact replica of a specific impression of the (purported) seal of Muhammad. The sacred significance of the seal is tied up with the idea of the caliphate.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Its always a shame to watch others descend into white supremicist views due to the economic pressures of American life.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 14, 2014

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I remember when I read every post in threads I subscribed to

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

paragon1 posted:

If we get too much bile in this thread the humors will become unbalanced, and the thread will sicken and die.

We can only hope.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SedanChair posted:

You beat me to it, you gently caress.

I had some unbelievably great bourbon at a charity event tonight.:monocle:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Majorian posted:

Why don't you sponsor an African child about it you bourgeois fucker

Full disclosure I've been pounding High Life for the last four hours

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Don't worry, there's more than enough room for everyone to point out that Seagram's 7 is nasty as gently caress for a gin. And that is sayyyying something.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Gin is the highest risk/reward of distilled liquors

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also London Dry is like the American beer scene before 1972. "Ugh, Hamm's? No thanks, I'll have an Olympia / Old Style / Iron City / Schlitz"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
All enjoyable beers FWIW

I left out Lone Star to summon Big K

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

paragon1 posted:

We can restore it to health with image leeching

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mooyashi posted:

All enjoyable beers FWIW

I left out Lone Star to summon Big K

I had a Lone Star once, worst beer I've bought at a hotel ever.

They sell that poo poo in stores?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I can see that lone star from a thousand miles away
Calling me back home though I've ventured far astray
When I see that beacon shining for me all alone
It calls me back to Texas and to home

Alcohol is a drug, not drink. Any snobbishness is trying to distance your addiction from poors.

edit: Except for Milwaukee's Best. Warcrimes. Other regional travesties: Icehouse. Busch.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 14, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, that certainly puts that American lab that misplaced smallpox into context:

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/_layouts/forms/Publication_DispForm.aspx?List=4f55ad51-4aed-4d32-b960-af70113dbb90&ID=1168

New! Accidental release of 45 litres of concentrated live polio virus solution into the environment - Belgium posted:

On 6 September, the Belgian authorities informed the European Commission, the Netherlands, ECDC, and WHO about an incident that occured on 2 September 2014. Following a human error, 45 litres of concentrated live polio virus solution were released into the environment by the pharmaceutical company, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), in Rixensart, Belgium."

Oops.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Things overheard at brunch this morning with law students:

"travel, you know, just really opens your mind. Like when I was in China, did you know they BLOCK google? you can't search for certain things. And you just, you just have to go to Europe, you go there and you just see we don't know what we're doing. They just do everything better there."

Now sadly I've never come from stock that could afford any of these trips but I'm pretty sure it did not really enhance these people's understanding of world affairs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So they learned everything that Wikipedia could teach just about anyone in less time and money spent? Neat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

This was during a talk of political aspirations, too. These are people who know the right people and have made good connections.

edit: this was a progressive brunch too, with gay law students. The scion in question other suggestion is we just need to re-locate the 40 odd buildings from the capitol mall or whatever and just "move them downtown into private sky scrapers".

This is why drinking is helpful during these things.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 14, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Hmm, one article I've read says that polio vaccination is mandatory in Belgium, while another source says it's not since 2011.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Forgall posted:

Hmm, one article I've read says that polio vaccination is mandatory in Belgium, while another source says it's not since 2011.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
It's not about funding apparently, it's about anti-vax loons filing lawsuits.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

as far as i'm aware, it's still mandatory. do you have a link to that article?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Berke Negri posted:

This was during a talk of political aspirations, too. These are people who know the right people and have made good connections.

edit: this was a progressive brunch too, with gay law students. The scion in question other suggestion is we just need to re-locate the 40 odd buildings from the capitol mall or whatever and just "move them downtown into private sky scrapers".

This is why drinking is helpful during these things.

What did this individual think we should do with all of those huge, unique buildings the government is currently using, I wonder.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
I was going to ask this in the Ferguson thread, but this seems like the place to go when you don't want to contribute to a derail.

I'm curious about the theory behind AA laws (just because I don't know). Is it that legislation to improve this is intended to serve as a fix by forcing at least some people from that minority to get positions and opportunities that would normally be denied them, and to over time contribute to a solution by making it so that people would see minorities in these positions?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

as far as i'm aware, it's still mandatory. do you have a link to that article?
It was google translated version of this french article. Maybe poor translation or outdated information there?

edit: after looking through more of that website through google translate, it seems like they are a crank site.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 14, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ted_Haggard posted:

I was going to ask this in the Ferguson thread, but this seems like the place to go when you don't want to contribute to a derail.

I'm curious about the theory behind AA laws (just because I don't know). Is it that legislation to improve this is intended to serve as a fix by forcing at least some people from that minority to get positions and opportunities that would normally be denied them, and to over time contribute to a solution by making it so that people would see minorities in these positions?

I think a deeper answer is going to need something more specific than "AA laws," but yeah, part of the idea is that you're giving people opportunities they've been denied and helping to repair historic disparities by giving people a leg up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Forgall posted:

It was google translated version of this french article. Maybe poor translation or outdated information there?
well, it's still mandatory, but apparently the courts have been getting more and more lenient about enforcing it. i think that specific case was the only time it wasn't actually enforced, though, with a more recent law on patient rights trumping the law from 1968. it was plenty controversial, however, and i doubt many other magistrates would come to the same judgement. but who knows?

• Locked thread