Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Wii U and I know I want to get Mario Kart. I'm trying to figure out the best deal possible and I'm wondering if I should wait for any other holiday bundles or just go with the walmart version that is out right now.

Walmart has a version that has MK8 and nintendoland. I have not heard any opinion about nintendoland whatsoever.

There is also a guy on ebay selling the Mario and Luigi Wii u bundle for around 259.

Out of these options and any other holiday bundles that may come out, what would you guys go with?

Both of those bundles are good deals. Nintendoland looks like shovelware but it's actually really great if you have people to play it with, especially if you have family/significant others who don't really game often. The Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Mario minigames are a bunch of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Very good.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

It would have been a good idea for Nintendo to give out a single Smash Bros key to each platinum user and allow transfer from 3ds to 3ds over local connection. That way it could be more of a word of mouth thing. It'd also encourage local play instead of just being against the CPU.

I hope there is a demo for the Wii U version because I don't like it at all on the 3ds.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Flying Milton posted:

It would have been a good idea for Nintendo to give out a single Smash Bros key to each platinum user and allow transfer from 3ds to 3ds over local connection. That way it could be more of a word of mouth thing. It'd also encourage local play instead of just being against the CPU.

I hope there is a demo for the Wii U version because I don't like it at all on the 3ds.

I disagree with everything in this post.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Trent posted:

Hmm. Loving my smash demo, but I wonder if demos really do what they are supposed to. I was already going to absolutely buy the WiiU version, but was undecided about the 3DS version, but now I've decided and the answer is I'll wait for the WiiU version.

All this demo did was make me not buy a game I was unsure about, so thanks Nintendo! :yoshi:
Alternatively, it's so incredibly sparse that people HAVE to have Smash the moment it comes out.

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendoland looks like shovelware but
Nintendoland has a pretty strong presentation, what about it looks like shovelware (other than I guess the fact that it has miis in it)?

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 14, 2014

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think he means the games seem like they play like boring phone games. It's worth it to me just for the DK game and I normally hate tilt games.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm late to the party, but I rented Mario Kart 8.

I bought the console for 3d world and NSBMBWii U - and thought "hey, maybe Mario Kart 8 won't suck on air like the Wii version"

It is so goddamn pretty. I own a ps4 and Mario Kart is easily the best looking game I've played.

The controls are actually... good? The items are... balanced? The track designs are... not full of dull crap?

Gonna have to wait for a sale, but I need this game in my collection.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm late to the party, but I rented Mario Kart 8.

I bought the console for 3d world and NSBMBWii U - and thought "hey, maybe Mario Kart 8 won't suck on air like the Wii version"

It is so goddamn pretty. I own a ps4 and Mario Kart is easily the best looking game I've played.

The controls are actually... good? The items are... balanced? The track designs are... not full of dull crap?

Gonna have to wait for a sale, but I need this game in my collection.

There's DLC coming out as well, which feature 12 new tracks each, along with a playable Link.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
While I'm here, anyone have anything to say about the Wii Rhythm Heaven? It was probably my most played game on the DS, I got perfect on every song (but one) but I never got the Wii version for some reason. Is it as good? Is it harder? It always bugged me how lenient the game was at times. It lets you get away with a LOT.

E: Also, is Munchy Monk and Lockstep in it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The touch screen input on the DS game forced them to make everything super loose and its the worst one in the series because of it. The Wii one was back up to the standards of the original GBA game and the inputs are generally way tighter. Its good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

While I'm here, anyone have anything to say about the Wii Rhythm Heaven? It was probably my most played game on the DS, I got perfect on every song (but one) but I never got the Wii version for some reason. Is it as good? Is it harder? It always bugged me how lenient the game was at times. It lets you get away with a LOT.

It's really, really good. Get it get it get it get it!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

No, which sucks because Lockstep is the best two minutes you can have on a handheld.

It's pretty good, not as good as the DS game but you'll definitely enjoy it. You will fall in love with Ringside when you see it. Go grab it, it's decently cheap now and if anything you'll have a great time.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Munchy Monk is, as an infinite side-game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Flying Milton posted:

Alternately, it would have been nice of Nintendo to announce this beforehand and spread awareness of the notification checkbox instead of going "well you should have done that" after the fact.

At least now I know why I've been missing out on things like this every time. My checkbox is ticked now.

I am pretty interested in the Wii U version but will probably skip the 3ds version. I don't feel like I need both, and I'd rather wait for the Wii U one.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Huh, it's like 18 dollars now. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it. Has Nintendo said anything about a new game? Apparently there's some stuff in smash for the first time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

13/f/cali posted:

Alternately, it would have been nice of Nintendo to announce this beforehand and spread awareness of the notification checkbox instead of going "well you should have done that" after the fact.

At least now I know why I've been missing out on things like this every time. My checkbox is ticked now.

I am pretty interested in the Wii U version but will probably skip the 3ds version. I don't feel like I need both, and I'd rather wait for the Wii U one.

Portable Smash is enough to get me to play both. I mean, the WiiU is pretty portable anyway because you can just plug it in anywhere there is an outlet and just play on the gamepad. But I can't realistically bring my WiiU everywhere, so having Smash in my pocket anytime is just the best. I still want that sweet sweet HD Smash though. Some of the models on the 3DS version look really good, but some look awful. Duck Hunt's model looks TERRIBLE in my opinion but I have no doubt it's gonna look far better on the WiiU

edit: It's the model I don't think looks that good. Duck Hunt looks like a fun character to play. Before I get hung for blasphemy :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K0cZwphyz4

Peck your beek

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I totally get that, I think 3ds Smash is going to be great but despite portability of the 3ds I find that I really just want to play my consoles at home. Whenever I'm on the go I just can't focus on games for whatever reason.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

13/f/cali posted:

I totally get that, I think 3ds Smash is going to be great but despite portability of the 3ds I find that I really just want to play my consoles at home. Whenever I'm on the go I just can't focus on games for whatever reason.

playing on the bus makes me sick, which is a drat shame.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Huh, it's like 18 dollars now. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it. Has Nintendo said anything about a new game? Apparently there's some stuff in smash for the first time.
Who knows what the gently caress SPD 1 is working on right now, Game and Wario came out a year ago so maybe they'll start showing something sooner or later.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm buying both Smash versions because 3DS is portable and Wii U will be so pretty looking. Plus, they may have some differences.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, so in World Flower-11 in Mario 3D World, the one with the spikes and the lamps and stuff, what's going on exactly? I'm trying to get the final green star and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. There's just no way to get it without getting hit. I can just barely grab it without touching the ground as peach but I can't get through the area after without taking a hit, she can't move fast enough to hover over all the spikes.

E: Welp, there's a game over. Earlier on you have to move around the spotlights but here it just takes up the entire platform.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does the level have a boomerang suit?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

always be closing posted:

I bet its awesome, but according to a link in the OP, the servers are down?

The Wii version is down, the Wii U version is fine.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

No word on when that's releasing in the US though, Japan already got it (or are getting it soon) I believe.

December 5.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

homeless snail posted:

Who knows what the gently caress SPD 1 is working on right now, Game and Wario came out a year ago so maybe they'll start showing something sooner or later.

None of this has been officially confirmed but I was told there was an internal restructure at SPD that, among other things, moved Sakamoto and most of the SPD1 crew to EAD Kyoto. Sakamoto himself is a producer/supervisor on Splatoon, I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 14, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, so in World Flower-11 in Mario 3D World, the one with the spikes and the lamps and stuff, what's going on exactly? I'm trying to get the final green star and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. There's just no way to get it without getting hit. I can just barely grab it without touching the ground as peach but I can't get through the area after without taking a hit, she can't move fast enough to hover over all the spikes.

E: Welp, there's a game over. Earlier on you have to move around the spotlights but here it just takes up the entire platform.
If I'm thinking of the right spot here then you can just hide from the spotlight under those (destructible) brick blocks to make the spikes go away.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

If I'm thinking of the right spot here then you can just hide from the spotlight under those (destructible) brick blocks to make the spikes go away.

I figured that out, but it doesn't really help much. They come back right away, you have maybe half a second, barely enough time to actually run to the area where the spikes spawn. Either way, I beat it by making it there with a cat suit and just taking 2 hits. Meh, whatever.

Now I'm on the boss fight and holy loving poo poo this is terrible. Twice now I've lost because the stupid Histocrat thing boss wouldn't loving spawn anything. Like, I'll speed run the entire gauntlet, and then sit there while the timer runs down waiting for them to finish their stupid loving fireball move just so I have a shot at hitting one of them, which I have to do 6 times. I know there's another time consuming boss after this too. This is why Donkey Kong is the best game on the WiiU, there's no dumbass timer. gently caress timers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do Hisstocrat first. Also the pattern isn't random. Also try to jump on both of them in one go.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Luigi's spin jump can reach the head and hurt Hisstocrat without even jumping off the other dudes.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So is there any chance at a Smash Brothers Wii U console bundle or would we have known about that by now? When was the PS4 destiny combo announced in relation to the games release date?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Philosopher King posted:

So is there any chance at a Smash Brothers Wii U console bundle or would we have known about that by now? When was the PS4 destiny combo announced in relation to the games release date?

They don't even have a release date for the Wii U version yet so if there's gonna be a bundle, they probably wouldn't have announced it yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

Do Hisstocrat first. Also the pattern isn't random. Also try to jump on both of them in one go.

I really can't beat them faster than 200 seconds, I even hit them twice this time.

E: I'm on the wizard dude with like 150 to go, is that even fast enough? All these dudes spend so loving long in invincible modes, it's dumb as poo poo. I hate boss rushes.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 14, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Coming into the level already having two cat bells would help too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

Coming into the level already having two cat bells would help too.

Welp, I did it and nothing happened. I have all the green stars though. Where's the final level???

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

I really can't beat them faster than 200 seconds, I even hit them twice this time.

E: I'm on the wizard dude with like 150 to go, is that even fast enough? All these dudes spend so loving long in invincible modes, it's dumb as poo poo. I hate boss rushes.

Go into the stage with two bells. I'd do the snakes first since they can take the longest, but still, try speed it up. You say you can't beat them in less than 200 seconds, and you're given 500 altogether, so you gotta just try to get faster at that. There's really no other strategy besides that. Also if you start to run out of time just quit the level and jump back in, your items will reset back to before you went in the level.

Everyone else is pretty fast I think. Ka-Thunk is the easiest IMO because his moves are VERY predictable.

Honestly though, if you're frustrated by the time limit in the boss rush, you will lose your mind the toad house in world Crown-Crown

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Welp, I did it and nothing happened. I have all the green stars though. Where's the final level???

Now hit the top of the flag pole in every stage. :smug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

You need to have all the green stars, all the stamps and have to hit the top of all the poles in all the levels. Once you do that you'll be able to get into the final world. Be sure to look for any hidden stages or houses you may have missed

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Go into the stage with two bells. I'd do the snakes first since they can take the longest, but still, try speed it up. You say you can't beat them in less than 200 seconds, and you're given 500 altogether, so you gotta just try to get faster at that. There's really no other strategy besides that. Also if you start to run out of time just quit the level and jump back in, your items will reset back to before you went in the level.

Everyone else is pretty fast I think. Ka-Thunk is the easiest IMO because his moves are VERY predictable.

Honestly though, if you're frustrated by the time limit in the boss rush, you will lose your mind the toad house in world Crown-Crown

crown crown? there's not another world after this, is there?? :stare:

Kaubocks posted:

Now hit the top of the flag pole in every stage. :smug:

... Ughhhhhhhhhh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

There's only three levels in it though.

It's just that 2 of those levels will take you as log to beat as the entirety of the rest of the special worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Oh you sweet summer child :getin:

• Locked thread