Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyday Lurker posted:

Welp, I guess that gives me more than enough time to buy a 2TB hard drive and a GTX 880
I mean, if you wanna play the game at 4K this will be necessary, but otherwise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Jesus Christ PC people! the wait is 2 months longer and you're acting like you need to wait another 5 years for the loving game.

Hey it's confirmed, before it was only a rumor. Be happy you get your game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well according to the Heists situation they can't even do that so maybe you're right. idk I figured it's a game that's 90% centered around gawking at your surroundings and if there's a periph that lets you do that even better, why not?

Or just let the modders do it.

I was agreeing with you - rockstar would totally put in oculus support before they add the heists they promised in October 2013 :v:

ExplodingSquid posted:

Jesus Christ PC people! the wait is 2 months longer and you're acting like you need to wait another 5 years for the loving game.

the game came out a year ago and could've been ported any time from then to now, maybe this will help you understand their irritation

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Jehde posted:

Mod support is still the big question.

Yup. At the very least I would like Simple Native Trainer so I can screw around, but having proper mods would be nice.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ExplodingSquid posted:

It was confirmed earlier in the year when they said it's coming to PS4/Bone/PC

They should have said PS4/Bone then PC

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

PC games being 20+ GB is no longer a rarity because one of the leading consoles doesn't use an 8 GB disc anymore.

It's not the fault of the developer or some vague complaint of "OPTIMIZATION!," it's the fault of your lovely American ISP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That makes no sense. It's still a question of optimization if you make people download/install languages they don't need or uncompressed audio because that 1% CPU time for decompression might allow someone to run your 2013 game on a toaster.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Still, it's only a 2 month wait. Can't help but see PC people like my 3 year old when he wants the lolly now and not after dinner.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ExplodingSquid posted:

Still, it's only a 2 month wait. Can't help but see PC people like my 3 year old when he wants the lolly now and not after dinner.

I guess I find it weird that some people are getting upset that they can't spend their own money on a product the company is putting out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not the fault of the developer or some vague complaint of "OPTIMIZATION!," it's the fault of your lovely American ISP.

Personally I think there's nothing really wrong with big sized games in an age where TB-sized hard drives exist but you're stupid. It is entirely 100% on the developers' shoulders to make their game be as small as possible space usage-wise while maintaining the highest level of quality and as Max Payne 3 went to show, Rockstar has no idea how to do that (or at least, the division that ported the game didn't). The game taking a while to download is not the core of the complaint.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 13, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ExplodingSquid posted:

Like it's unreasonable to be annoyed that the PC port, which probably existed way before release (since they're not going to continually spin unoptimized 360/PS3 builds for testing the game and world), to be released dead last.

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think there's nothing really wrong with big sized games in an age where TB-sized hard drives exist but you're stupid. It is entirely 100% on the developers' shoulders to make their game be as small as possible space usage-wise while maintaining the highest level of quality and as Max Payne 3 went to show, Rockstar has no idea how to do that (or at least, the division that ported the game didn't). The game taking a while to download is not the core of the complaint.
Eh, it's a hard trade-off between space savings and non-repeating textures and sometimes geometry. And compressing textures to poo poo will impair them, no point in high resolution textures, if all fine detail has been hosed up.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree, the quality of the game shouldn't suffer in the name of optimization, but in Rockstar's case specifically it's more about effective use of their own tools. If you look in Max Payne 3's game files you will see, like BARONS CYBER SKULL said, that the textures and models and props in the game are repeated once for every map they appear in because of the way Rockstar handles making separate levels for that game. This means that any prop that appears more than once (anything, from a gun to a road sign or something) is duplicated and thus takes up more space.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh, that's rather dumb. I guess based GTA being a zone-less open world, chances are lower that this'll repeat.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's okay PC people! You can still play APB in the meantime! :unsmigghh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know if this would even be possible but I don't think I'm going to buy the PC version until somebody mods in some kind of database that remembers the cars I own and have customized, and can recall them via menu Saints Row style.

Everything else can easily be taken care of. Giving player characters more health will be as simple as tweaking a handful of numbers in some config file somewhere, and I bet even the police AI could be changed fairly quickly (but it really doesn't need to be because giving the player more health will kind of take care of that issue), but that car menu is going to take some work.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
It's inexcusable that in this game, about stealing cars, they haven't removed every incentive to steal cars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

circ dick soleil posted:

It's inexcusable that in this game, about stealing cars, they haven't removed every incentive to steal cars.

It's inexcusable that in this game where you can heavily customize every car you come in contact with, they haven't added a way to give those cars any form of permanence. :colbert:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

I think we've waited quite long enough for this one. And don't talk down to us like we should be lucky to get anything. We have demonstratively bigger disposable incomes and we would very much like to share it with these companies if they'd just rise above their terrible console politics. Also we are more better. TIA.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

circ dick soleil posted:

You do know they already do the whole 'your car is saved permanently and shows up wherever you are' thing, right? They just don't let you do it with anything but the default four. Which is also beside the fact that you can summon a taxi at anytime. And also that the same game's online mode has the ability built in, they just left it out of single player for no discernible reason.

Basically your hilarious sarcastic quip doesn't make sense if you've played the game at all, sorry!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

I think it's more inexcusable that they would create a system that lets you pour tens of thousands of dollars into a single car that can potentially be immediately destroyed through no real fault of your own with no means of recovering it, and that in a game about stealing cars, there is absolutely no sense of progress or accomplishment for the cars you have stolen and taken ownership of.

I think such a system would also add a tremendous amount of incentive for the player to collect as many cars as possible, which would both extend gameplay and allow the player to feel more of a sense of agency towards collecting game assets and improving his "character" profile, which would provide a better and more significant sense of ownership towards your progress in the game than what it provides now.

I also don't think such a system would discourage stealing cars at all, because stealing cars in this game is fun all by itself. I think even players with every car in the game fully upgraded in their stable would still take the time to smash a few windows and throw a few people out into open highway every now and then.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

Yup. At the very least I would like Simple Native Trainer so I can screw around, but having proper mods would be nice.

That was basically already done on one of the consoles, so I assume it'll be possible on PC as well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think the singleplayer's garage/car system is fine but I can understand why people would want the same system from GTAO so they can fart out suped up chrome Adders from their garage as they please. I always just liked stealing a ride I like at any given time, customizing how I want, drive around and do whatever, crash and total it, then find a new car I like, repeat. Driving the same old supercar you saved gets boring to me after awhile. Similarly I actually rarely drive my saved cars in GTAO, although I still like to appreciate my Grottis lined up and lookin' pretty. But in GTAO I tend to just steal a random car instead.

What's really lacking from recent GTA games is the import/export garage.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
They're gonna spend the extra two months to stamp out any possibility of mods :devil:

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think we've waited quite long enough for this one. And don't talk down to us like we should be lucky to get anything. We have demonstratively bigger disposable incomes and we would very much like to share it with these companies if they'd just rise above their terrible console politics. Also we are more better. TIA.

Just saying, this isn't another case of Red Dead Redemption... It's coming, you guys can chill and 2 months after console you will have this game forever.

Meanwhile I did hear rumors about RDR coming to next gen, so hopefully if this is true you guys will finally get a PC version too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I would buy the PC version of RDR so fast my head would spin.

Also there's something else I'm excited about for the PC version of GTAV I haven't heard too much talk about. The guns. The weapons of GTAV are flat out amazing. They look good, they sound fantastic, and there's a buttload of variety... and they will all be aimable with the unparalleled, instant precision of a mouse. That alone just might be worth the cost of entry right there.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 14, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ExplodingSquid posted:

Meanwhile I did hear rumors about RDR coming to next gen, so hopefully if this is true you guys will finally get a PC version too.

Are they remaking it from scratch? Because IIRC the reason it never came to PC in the first place was because of console-specific spaghetti code or something.

Hence stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavUXJXV7ec

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Are they remaking it from scratch? Because IIRC the reason it never came to PC in the first place was because of console-specific spaghetti code or something.

Hence stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavUXJXV7ec

No idea at all, just internet rumors. But fingers crossed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ExplodingSquid posted:

No idea at all, just internet rumors. But fingers crossed.

It'll seriously never happen. Rockstar's been kinda upfront about that, the current versions are basically held together with duct tape and it's a miracle they work at all, adding system support to something as varied as PC hardware would be way more trouble than they're willing to do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I could see their next Red Dead game being made for the new consoles and also released on PC (insert obvious "PC version released 1 year later" joke), but remaking RDR? I really doubt it.

And yeah the personal vehicle system in GTA5 story mode was "fine" if you ignore the whole thing where you steal millions over the course of the game, but you're not allowed to replace your Audi A6 with a different/better car. Although that kinda ties into the rest of the story not really letting you spend most of your heist money. Other than buying properties that will never return your investment before the next GTA game comes out, that is.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah, the unavailability of certain vehicles kind of does go with the plot for certain characters at certain points.

This of course means a car saving and recalling system would make an excellent end game reward.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Why end game? Maybe you've got enough cash to spend towards that exact service that is in multiplayer, but you can't use it in single player for Reasons.

Now, getting the DB5 with all the toys unlocked, that'd be a neat postgame toy. Or, again, a very expensive toy that you could choose to give yourself.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
With so many vehicles to steal from, I didn't see that as a problem. I did realise too late that you should upgrade the default vehicles because after a mission you'd end up next to one, it's a lot nicer if they're faster :-)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hell, I'd even be happy if you could, you know, store stuff in the garage and save it as usual, but that you were able to set whatever vehicle you wanted to be "your" car. As is is, yeah, you're basically looking at a system where you should just go ahead and upgrade the default cars and nothing else or you're throwing away money.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Which is completely viable after some point in the story because you'll have too much money and not enough movie theaters to buy, but it still sucks because a ridiculous number of missions insist you drive your personal car which, even after upgrades, kind of sucks compared to most other cars you might also have. At least Michael has SOME choice, hope you like driving an Audi A6, BMW convertible or Mini Cooper though. Oh and it's random whether your family's cars are going to be around (despite the family members being at home).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh, that's rather dumb. I guess based GTA being a zone-less open world, chances are lower that this'll repeat.
I seem to remember hearing it was built around the Rage engine - id's engines are usually pretty good at centralising the assets so that one texture / sound / prop can be referenced by whichever level needs it.

Then again this is R*

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I seem to remember hearing it was built around the Rage engine - id's engines are usually pretty good at centralising the assets so that one texture / sound / prop can be referenced by whichever level needs it.

Then again this is R*

I believe you misinterpreted that. RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) is Rockstar's own engine that debuted as that table tennis game. id's Rage game is using id Tech 5.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Hell, I'd even be happy if you could, you know, store stuff in the garage and save it as usual, but that you were able to set whatever vehicle you wanted to be "your" car. As is is, yeah, you're basically looking at a system where you should just go ahead and upgrade the default cars and nothing else or you're throwing away money.
Yeah, I'll be really bummed if you don' get to set "your car" with two "your car" slots. poo poo, it doesn't have to be with every character. I don't mind the idea of Michael just riding around in his default car, but it's pretty dumb that Franklin is riding around in the same two vehicles for the entire game despite going from some lazy kid in his aunt's house to a millionaire.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I'll be really bummed if you don' get to set "your car" with two "your car" slots. poo poo, it doesn't have to be with every character. I don't mind the idea of Michael just riding around in his default car, but it's pretty dumb that Franklin is riding around in the same two vehicles for the entire game despite going from some lazy kid in his aunt's house to a millionaire.

Just pretend that he switched from a base v6 charger to a hellcat after his first big score.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Pardon me while I sperg.... intooooooo this game

Pause Game -> My Cars -> Menu A "Infernus" -> Menu B "Set as Franklin's Ride"

Menu A:
Banshee
Blista
Infernus

Menu B:
Request Car Delivery
Set as Franklin's Ride
Set as Michael's Ride
Set as Trevor's Ride
Sell Car ($X)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
What's the problem with parking cars in your garage or walking into the garage and pulling up DLC super cars and poo poo?

I guess because they aren't permanent? All my characters have over 1.5 billion and there is no way to ever spend it in single player so who cares.

• Locked thread