Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Depends on your level. I'm collecting the 5 star weapons atm and most of my characters are in the 30-50 level range, only focused on a few during Ambition mode. Since you have to do that on Hard or harder difficulty, I'm finding the fun in trying to survive battles, especially since I don't generally use Defence Boost skill (set up tends to be Quick Learner/Accuracy, Havoc, Attack Boost, Mighty Roar). It is easy for an AI opponent to one shot with a Musou at those levels, especially on the later stages where enemy stats are pretty high. I find I avoid most of them as soon as I hear the musou sound effect is to run away some distance, turn and block to be sure. Might have to include Defence Boost somewhere if I plan to entertain Ultimate difficulty runs, might be fun to try speedruns at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Re: Xu Shu in WO3U: what are you doing here no one likes you

where the gently caress were you hiding anyway

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Unlucky7 posted:

Re: Xu Shu in WO3U: what are you doing here no one likes you

Eh, his weapon's fun to use. What I want to know is where he came from, since he just kind of shows up in camp with no explanation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maleketh posted:

Eh, his weapon's fun to use. What I want to know is where he came from, since he just kind of shows up in camp with no explanation.

Seriously it was like that one scientist in Half Life 2 Episode 2

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If I remember correctly they slotted him in with Mai Dai and Pang De's group and just have him gently caress off storywise until the new portions. Most of the reason he even is there at all is because he is mega popular and barely squeaked into the 7 series.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Davincie posted:

Guan Yu is vain and a dick to his own officers and others
Yeah, this one isn't whitewashed in the novel and if anything has the leading role in his downfall there.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Maleketh posted:

Well he's like (most of) the new characters from SW3, he was always around as a generic, he just suddenly looks different and has much better stats! :v:

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
If any of you want to read more about the characters historically, you can check out this blog: http://the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis

He starts off with talking about the game side of the characters, so just scroll down in each analysis and you'll come to the history part and some comparisons between game and history. There's a lot to go through, but it's a pretty fun read.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, I am completely shocked the most made up things are Shu-related :v:

Turns out Liu Bei gives Stalin a run for his money in being a douchebag.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Zhuge Liang was quite funny, in a way. Basically, he attempted to run everything himself. Civil affairs, the military...he even became Shu's official historian. (Which may be why Shu's history is far vaguer and patchier than Wei or Wu, and suffers from more biases) He was a very good civil servant, truth be told, but a pretty terrible general and strategist who thought he was better than he actually was. He suffered from extreme cases of nepotism, promoting his personal buddies like Ma Su and Yang Yi to positions of far greater importance than their limited talents would allow. He also margianlised generals he DIDN'T like, like Wei Yan who was Shu's best commander. Wei Yan was one of Shu's highest ranking officers with a proven track record and some inventive plans to attack Wei. Zhuge Liang never liked the guy, so once he got into power he promoted Wei Yan "sideways", giving him important sounding titles that didnt't actually have any real authority. During the Northern Campaigns, despite Wei Yan offering many plans and begging to command armies, Zhuge Liang never listened to him and never gave him any decent roles to play. Funnily enough, his last will and testement specifically screwed over poor Wei Yan from beyond the grave.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is that why Wei Yan is shown as slow in the DW games?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PureRok posted:

Is that why Wei Yan is shown as slow in the DW games?

That and he supposedly had a misshapen head or some such.

The whole Wei Yan and Zhuge Liang thing is one of my favorite parts of the Three Kingdoms story and as far as I can remember is only vaguely mentioned outside of 7XL.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The GIG posted:

If I remember correctly they slotted him in with Mai Dai and Pang De's group and just have him gently caress off storywise until the new portions. Most of the reason he even is there at all is because he is mega popular and barely squeaked into the 7 series.

I love that the guy with the pubestache is apparently super-popular with female fans.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Given Xu Shu seems to spend most of his time in game talking about how much better Zhuge Liang is than him and how he wishes he was as smart as him, it's pretty funny that it's almost implied he tried to grow a tache like Zhuge Liang but failed miserably at that too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kraxxukalf posted:

If any of you want to read more about the characters historically, you can check out this blog: http://the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis

He starts off with talking about the game side of the characters, so just scroll down in each analysis and you'll come to the history part and some comparisons between game and history. There's a lot to go through, but it's a pretty fun read.
His historical analysises are pretty decent, but his stuff about the games can be... weird. He literally calls the Koei character designers monsters at one point.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Endorph posted:

His historical analysises are pretty decent, but his stuff about the games can be... weird. He literally calls the Koei character designers monsters at one point.

Seems accurate IMO since they abandoned the idea of making Pang Tong into a moth man.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Endorph posted:

Yeah I'd err on the side of caution when reading the archlich's stuff. His personal biases are very apparent, and he tends to get into frothing rages regarding minor aspects of the games or characters he doesn't like. For example, he gives a lot of frankly unfair criticism regarding Koei's depiction of Shu, ignoring the near-two millennia of culture and folk lore that lead to Shu being cast as the protagonists. Him saying that Koei only made Shu the heroes because they are Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang fanboys is wrong and frankly baffling.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
They're clearly Zhao Yun fanboys. I mean, he's on the cover of pretty much every DW, right? Pepsi are clearly Lu Bu fanboys.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Daikoku posted:

Well he's like (most of) the new characters from SW3, he was always around as a generic, he just suddenly looks different and has much better stats! :v:

Well, yeah, but even those newcomers appear in battles before you recruit them. Xu Shu? Just sort of there with no preamble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah I'd err on the side of caution when reading the archlich's stuff. His personal biases are very apparent, and he tends to get into frothing rages regarding minor aspects of the games or characters he doesn't like. For example, he gives a lot of frankly unfair criticism regarding Koei's depiction of Shu, ignoring the near-two millennia of culture and folk lore that lead to Shu being cast as the protagonists. Him saying that Koei only made Shu the heroes because they are Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang fanboys is wrong and frankly baffling.
my favorite part is him complaining about that one cutscene of Zhao Yun knocking out a child soldier with the blunt of his spear. Like, the kid was out cold and all of Shu's soldiers rode past him, he got up and was fine, as opposed to him being conscious and probably getting himself killed in the fight. I'm not sure how you interpret that as Zhao Yun attacking a defenseless child.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You are right, he did attack a defend...ful child.

Also he's wrong about Xiahou Ba's weapon. Its totally loving rad as hell

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

he even became Shu's official historian. (Which may be why Shu's history is far vaguer and patchier than Wei or Wu, and suffers from more biases)
This is something I keep in mind when looking at Shu's history, even the "actual" history has at least some amount of bullshit. Not least due to the inherent issue of "a history written on behalf of Jin", but also stuff like Chen Shou having to combine Zhuge Liang's papers with his own personal recollections, in some cases using sources that later historians discounted (or was that Pei Songzhi and some other guy).

Brony Hunter posted:

A goon turns out to be better than a non-goon at givin' you the business about Shu, film at 11. Koei has always built their games -- from the RTK series to DW -- on top of the folk lore and novel (the former of which is actually more hagiographic) and never the history (although acknowledging it in Encyclopedias whenever they're included), and if anything DW7's story cohesion was due to it tying its plot closer to the novel.

Re: Yi province/Liu Zhang -- Koei is obviously making up the bit about "the people want it", but even in the novel Pang Tong was pretty overtly egging Liu Bei on. The TV show's way of getting around this is to both depict Liu Bei as ambivalent (that is, both his public fealty and his private ambition are 'real' -- so Pang Tong gets himself killed to force the issue) and depict Liu Zhang as an idle hedonist (treated as a bad ruler in chaotic times that need a firmer hand) who, ironically enough, isn't listening to his more sensible/realistic advisors that are warning him about Liu Bei's force...

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
While his analyses can be biased, I do have to agree with some of his views on Shu, as I really cannot stand them anymore, what with learning how their historical background is and their benevolent role in the games.

Especially after finishing the Three Kingdoms series, I absolutely hate Zhuge Liang with him knowing everything before it happens and planning for it. He always sees through everything. It really gets out of hand at Chi Bi and when dealing with Wei Yan, he was such a total rear end in a top hat about everything and everyone still loved him for it. I was almost ecstatic when he finally croaked.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraxxukalf posted:

their benevolent role in the games.
Just remember that every KOEI game, and basically most of the lore, is derived from the propaganda.

Kraxxukalf posted:

Especially after finishing the Three Kingdoms series
Just to be clear, are we talking about the 2010 series here? Because I absolutely thought I was seeing a Zhuge Liang who was not knowing everything before it happened and planning for everything... my bigger issue with him was some of the moves that he made (even if it "mandated by adherence to the novel lore") despite being characterized as someone who in the context of the show should know better, i.e. leaving Guan Yu in charge at Jing despite having previously stated Guan Yu's faults to Liu Bei (something omitted in the novel but which makes for an even worse call in the TV show), only to ruefully tell the ailing Liu Bei about the time that Guan Yu mocked Sun Quan's marriage proposal... for me it's "You SAW THIS COMING and you still left him there instead of leaving Zhao Yun in place and taking Guan Yu and Zhang Fei westward (the latter being a given since his TK2010 version is demonstrably untrustworthy)".

(Agreed on the rear end in a top hat bit with Wei Yan, especially since we're not given anything wrong he did other than... lo and behold, disagreeing with Zhuge Liang.)

Kraxxukalf posted:

he was such a total rear end in a top hat about everything and everyone still loved him for it.
shu.txt

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Does Shu have Cao Cao or Zhou Tai? The answer is no so they loving suck

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Those are awfully strange ways to spell "Huang Gai."

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009

Chortles posted:

Just to be clear, are we talking about the 2010 series here?

The 2010 series, I haven't seen the 90s one, so can't really comment on that. But you're right that there are some instances where he's in the wrong, like with Guan Yu, but I feel that the cases where he was wrong are far outnumbered by the ones where he's right about everything. It was however fun to see Guan Yu and Zhang Fei be portrayed as the morons they were.
But again, the Chi Bi scenes with Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu battling it out and Zhuge Liang constantly having the upper hand, and then Lu Su acting as the messenger boy who is in awe every time Zhuge Liang says something smart. It just ended up being really irritating.

And yeah, the Wei Yan plot was over the top, as when he's talking with a dying Zhuge Liang he affirms that he'll be loyal to the end and will do what he says. Zhuge Liang even says he's the most talented and should take over when he's gone. Then seconds after Wei Yan leaves Zhuge Liang basically says to his buddies 'gently caress him. He's a traitor, have him killed.' Total rear end in a top hat move.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

For some more interesting posts about the history

http://3kfunfacts.tumblr.com/ has some amusing anecdotes. don't know the historicity of it all but...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Calax, the bit about a drunken Sun Quan and a naked Zhou Tai is in the novel. The bit about Sun Quan burning down Zhang Zhao's house... not so much.

Kraxxukalf posted:

The 2010 series, I haven't seen the 90s one, so can't really comment on that. But you're right that there are some instances where he's in the wrong, like with Guan Yu, but I feel that the cases where he was wrong are far outnumbered by the ones where he's right about everything. It was however fun to see Guan Yu and Zhang Fei be portrayed as the morons they were.
If anything, the 90s one plays the (Mao Zonggang edition) novel's versions of events and Shu bias much more literally and at face value, while I'd say that the Shu bias is at least relatively lower in the 2010 series if only because it's is way more nuanced and sympathetic to the other factions.

I don't quite see things your way though -- my problem with him in the 2010 series is that "forced adherence to the novel" has Zhuge Liang acting in ways that make less sense than they did in the novel, i.e. I think novel-Guan Yu let the power get to his head after he was left alone in Jing while Zhuge Liang already knew (and was telling Liu Bei) about TK2010-Guan Yu's problems before the Yi province campaigns, and both Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang recognized TK2010-Zhao Yun as not dumb... so in the context of the show it's even more hollow to see him leave Guan Yu in charge (even if his actor may have been making "please don't gently caress this up for me" eyes at Guan Yu's actor). It's also a little weird to imagine "I need Zhao Yun as a hedge against Zhang Fei loving up on the way to Yi province" as the reason, because he'd already foresworn Zhao Yun -- preferring that he protect Liu Bei instead -- when Liu Bei gave him a secret order for Zhao Yun to back Zhuge Liang if Guan Yu and Zhang Fei tried to commit a coup against Zhuge Liang.

Kraxxukalf posted:

But again, the Chi Bi scenes with Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu battling it out and Zhuge Liang constantly having the upper hand, and then Lu Su acting as the messenger boy who is in awe every time Zhuge Liang says something smart. It just ended up being really irritating.
... that's hardly the version I got of what happened, if anything Lu Su was the most "awesome by adaptation" upgraded character in the thing, able to gently caress up Zhuge Liang's attempt to sweep Huarong Road under the rug hard just by being present, and otherwise more readily in-the-know of what's going on. Hell, at one point Zhou Yu admitted that his more aggressive posture was due to how little time he had left (having racked up so many wounds from the wars) and that otherwise he'd be cool doing things Lu Su's way instead, and then he immediately "saw through" Zhuge Liang's mourning at Zhou Yu's funeral (although a later scene has Zhuge Liang telling Pang Tong that it was sincere.)

Kraxxukalf posted:

And yeah, the Wei Yan plot was over the top, as when he's talking with a dying Zhuge Liang he affirms that he'll be loyal to the end and will do what he says. Zhuge Liang even says he's the most talented and should take over when he's gone. Then seconds after Wei Yan leaves Zhuge Liang basically says to his buddies 'gently caress him. He's a traitor, have him killed.' Total rear end in a top hat move.
For me the issue from a modern perspective is more that Wei Yan isn't depicted as otherwise a problem guy other than in having a more aggressive stance during the Northern Campaigns... but I remember the scene slightly different, as being more of "kill him if he tries to force the issue of army command after I'm gone".

(As for Ma Su... considering that he got upgraded from an otherwise random gently caress to Zhuge Liang's student throughout the years, his situation -- and Zhuge Liang sticking him at Jieting despite what would happen -- reeks of "mandated by adherence to the novel".)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
What happened to story mode in 8, it seems like its a "Best hits" edition, and was really disappointing compared to 7's which showed the rise and fall of every kingdom, and deaths of most of the cast.

EDIT: Though, I did love how Sun Quan died in the very first mission, poor guy can't catch a break.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 14, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

What happened to story mode in 8, it seems like its a "Best hits" edition, and was really disappointing compared to 7's which showed the rise and fall of every kingdom, and deaths of most of the cast.
That's been a consensus opinion here and I suspect that someone at Koei-Tecmo made the decision that basically anyone who was still playing the DW line games (as opposed to other Musou titles) was already perfectly aware of the lore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

7 was like the only one that tried to have a coherent version of events anyway, all the others were pretty much just a few movies and a brief intro to the current battle and that was it. At least, as far as I can remember.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Endorph posted:

my favorite part is him complaining about that one cutscene of Zhao Yun knocking out a child soldier with the blunt of his spear. Like, the kid was out cold and all of Shu's soldiers rode past him, he got up and was fine, as opposed to him being conscious and probably getting himself killed in the fight. I'm not sure how you interpret that as Zhao Yun attacking a defenseless child.

It's such an odd thing to be hung up on and get so mad about, especially given that happened in what? DW 3? DW4? Back when very few characters had any defined personality traits at all, and it was literally like a decade ago? Especially since I've noticed he also glosses over or dismisses his favourite characters (like Sima Yi) acting oddly or strangely in the older games and only mentioning their recent characterisations.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Chortles posted:

That's been a consensus opinion here and I suspect that someone at Koei-Tecmo made the decision that basically anyone who was still playing the DW line games (as opposed to other Musou titles) was already perfectly aware of the lore.

Speaking as someone who is both unfamiliar with ancient China and/or the Romance of Three Kingdoms, and DW8 being my first DW game, it definitely felt a bit hard to follow at times. Lots of names of people and places thrown at me, with new people showing up and disappearing all the time, it was kinda confusing at first.

Having played through the main three story campaigns now, it definitely makes more sense as a whole. I just kinda had to get a hang of who's who and the basics of how the factions work.

The whole time I played it, all I could think was how totally awesome it would be if I was actually familiar with the historical people. While it was fun shooting ice powers to save ancient China from chaos, it woulda been better if I was already knew about how Cao Cao was or whatever.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The problem with 7's story was that because it was so focused only like 40% of the cast got used. In 8 the fact you can choose from multiple characters means that the story has to be more general to accommodate all the characters.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

Did you get one shotted by Lu Bu? Because that's basically just what happens from that.

No it wasn't Lu Bu, It was just a random officers musou attack. Man I can't believe I loved Shu all those years. I even mained Guan Yu because I liked his design so much and I thought he was pretty awesome too. Why exactly does history favor the Shu?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Sefal posted:

No it wasn't Lu Bu, It was just a random officers musou attack. Man I can't believe I loved Shu all those years. I even mained Guan Yu because I liked his design so much and I thought he was pretty awesome too. Why exactly does history favor the Shu?

Originally, there was some slight Shu whitewashing because the original historical record (commissioned by Jin) was compiled by a Shu historian. Even so, there was an even larger Wei bias since Jin had usurped Wei, and thus establishing Wei's legitimacy was paramount to establishing Jin's.

Over the years, the folk stories regarding the time period started to take on a Shu bias. One of the reasons I can recall semi-offhand is that, during a period of invasion by non-Chinese (sometimes refereed to as non-Han) forces, the main resistance (the Southern Song dynasty) was stationed in the south of China. The inclusion in these lands of some of Shu's original lands, like Chengdu, made the tales of Shu's resistance against Wei easy to twist into an analogue for the Southern Song's current plight. Combined with Liu Bei's claims of a blood connection to the Royal Family of the Han (also of the house Liu), Shu became associated with "Han" and Wei with "non-Han."

In the following Yuan period, where the Mongol's ruled China, the Mongol rulers wanted to appear truly sinicized. Thus, they supported plays about the Three Kingdoms period which portrayed Shu in a positive light (thus appearing to support the Han).

Finally, the dynasty following the Yuan (the Ming) brought an end to Mongol rule and sought to establish itself as the legitimate successor to the Han. Once again, Shu's struggle against Wei and previous association with the Han made them appear in a favorable light. This is the era in which the original novel was actually written.

Anyone really interested in the full explanations (and not my confused half-remembered reasons) should read the papers in the back of the Moss Roberts edition of the novel. He delves into some very interesting analysis.

TooManyUzukis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 15, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Think you meant to say Han Dang or Zhou Tai or Gan Ning or Ling Tong or Lu Meng or Lu Su or Sun Jian or Sun Ce.

Wu empire best empire.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Jia Chong, Deng Ai and Guo Huai are pretty impeachable. Also, you forgot Ding Feng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I will never not like Zhong Hui. Sure, he's an egotistical prick, but the man has style.