Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fortis posted:

The mobs from the Erebus are pretty cool, I guess it only half counts since they mainly only show up in the mod's eponymous dimension, but I've considered using some kind of mob spawn control to make them show up in jungles and such. Giant bugs either fit in with Minecraft more to me for some reason or they're just really versatile, I'm not sure which.

On that vein, i guess the Twilight Forest also counts? :haw: That guy/gal knows how to take minecrafts combat and make some passable boss fights thats for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I got to the Nether in End of Light, and found out I can't mine nether quartz with my bronze pick. I need nether quartz to make any wand foci, so it turns out I have to actually level up my pick. Dang! Thankfully it turns out that's not that hard.

Edit: Or I could just mine some meteorite fragments and use a meteor pick! A meteor pick will mine redstone just fine, and likely diamonds as well. Technology, here I come.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I kinda want to agrarian skies again, or something, but eeehhhh the initial bits of getting dirt to getting cobble just plain suck. :(

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
For whatever reason my combustion engines don't seem to be actually doing anything anymore. Did one of the latest updates to Yogscast Complete mess up their interactions with universal cable or something? If I disconnect my reactor my 4-times ore processing rig shuts down and all the engines show 10,000 MJ stored...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

I kinda want to agrarian skies again, or something, but eeehhhh the initial bits of getting dirt to getting cobble just plain suck. :(

I feel like if you've done that once you have a license to skip it the second time and get right to engineering the incomprehensible pipe snarls. It's a single player game, live free.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ciaphas posted:

It got better the second time through. The first time, I just kept grinding on trees, and it was a perpetual quest for survival. The second time through, I started on carrots early. You need more of them, but you get more of them.

Now if I were to do it again, and I happened to know where there was some extra dirt--and you do too if you played it enough--I would lay them all out right away and bonemeal them until I got something I could both easily eat as well as compost.

Speaking of all this, does everybody end up with some kind of tower farm to knock out all the quests? My cute barn farm is not keeping up. Also, all the bees killed my cows and set the roof on fire.

And since I cannot use wax to make purple candles, what do I do with 30k of the stuff?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, End of Light. I knew it was supposed to be hostile but I have basically just enough time to loot the starter chest and blitz to the nearest enderfolk house before a half-dozen minotaurs and cyclopes charge me and surround the house. With the slowed digging speed I managed to cannibalize part of the house to make some tinker's construct tables but apparently I can't make any weapons until I make a pick, and I can't make a pick without flint, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to reach gravel safely. Currently waiting out the night while about 80 zombies surround the house.

E: Oh, I guess Balkon's weapon mod is enabled? poo poo, I'll just make a spear, then.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...I need steel to make Machine Frames in End of Light, and there are exactly three ways to make steel: melting down chainmail, combining iron and coal/charcoal in an induction furnace (which requires a machine frame and invar besides), and smelting Nether Pig Iron.

So I basically have to mine in the Nether. Where there are lycanite's mobs.
:shepicide:

...maybe I should try to find some diamonds so I can get a Particle Glove. That'd make combat a lot easier.

Vib Rib posted:

So, End of Light. I knew it was supposed to be hostile but I have basically just enough time to loot the starter chest and blitz to the nearest enderfolk house before a half-dozen minotaurs and cyclopes charge me and surround the house. With the slowed digging speed I managed to cannibalize part of the house to make some tinker's construct tables but apparently I can't make any weapons until I make a pick, and I can't make a pick without flint, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to reach gravel safely. Currently waiting out the night while about 80 zombies surround the house.

E: Oh, I guess Balkon's weapon mod is enabled? poo poo, I'll just make a spear, then.

Starter chest? What starter chest?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Yeah End of Light is lame. Another product of people who think that tedious and irritating are the same as challenging.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly part of why I'm playing it is because of the inclusion of Ars Magica 2, and I'm looking forward to blasting these jerks with magic.
I sort of wish Impact Flux had Ars Magica. Seems like it would fit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Uhhh... what?

There's a zombie behind it stuck in the wall and isn't dying. I suspect it's another functionally-immortal zombie.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 13, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly part of why I'm playing it is because of the inclusion of Ars Magica 2, and I'm looking forward to blasting these jerks with magic.
I sort of wish Impact Flux had Ars Magica. Seems like it would fit.

Probably on their list. I can't imagine it's fun putting together quests for that beast though. King of Magical Woes for sure

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So is there a way to get around all of my modded launchers crashing with java 8 or is downgrading the only option?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Welp, it happened again. The Gravestone Mod just does not work 100% reliably in End of Light. It will just fail to place your gravestone sometimes, and modifying the config to let it place on any surface is not a sure solution.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Xun posted:

So is there a way to get around all of my modded launchers crashing with java 8 or is downgrading the only option?

As far as I know, Java 8 and Minecraft mods do not mix well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any time I right-click with a warhammer from Balkon's Weapon Mod in End of Light, the game crashes with a Ticking Memory error. Haven't added/removed any mods from the pack.
The last time it crashed, it corrupted my save. The folder's still there but it's not showing up on the game menu. :sigh:

E: And then I started a new world and it dropped me off in my old one. :stare:

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 13, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Xun posted:

My guess is that your issue is with Forge (unless its the launcher itself that is breaking, in which case, go bugger them).

Last time I looked Forge has an issue with Jave 8u20 and only 8u20. They fixed the issue on like August 26th, but last I checked (its been a week or so) they had yet to actually push the fix out.

Jave 8u11 or 8u5 should be fine to use.

Our server uses its own in house built launcher and we were a bit miffed when Forge suddenly broke because of this, which is a shame because Java 8 makes modded minecraft run so much smoother otherwise. :v:

Vib Rib posted:

Any time I right-click with a warhammer from Balkon's Weapon Mod in End of Light, the game crashes with a Ticking Memory error. Haven't added/removed any mods from the pack.
The last time it crashed, it corrupted my save. The folder's still there but it's not showing up on the game menu. :sigh:

Is End of Light built on 1.7? If so, warhammers, throw-able dynamite and those cannons you can mount are all broken. Balkon used some vanilla code from pre-1.7 that was used for beacons that allowed you to pinpoint where an entity was within a cube (beacons used it to tell if a player was within radius to get a buff applied to them), but that code was removed in 1.7 as it was apparently poorly implemented and since Balkon has not removed that dependency, it is what is causing your crash.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 13, 2014

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Enzer posted:

Is End of Light built on 1.7?

McFrugal posted:

Welp, it happened again. The Gravestone Mod just does not work 100% reliably in End of Light. It will just fail to place your gravestone sometimes, and modifying the config to let it place on any surface is not a sure solution.

Gravestone mods are janky. In my past experience with this usually means that it has been placed on a different Y level from where you died.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ixjuvin posted:

Gravestone mods are janky. In my past experience with this usually means that it has been placed on a different Y level from where you died.

I went into creative mode and put Unstable Blocks everywhere. It's not there.

Vib Rib posted:

I can't reproduce this. What sort of warhammer is it?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 13, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

The guy who made the really good Pokemon Mod was the pixelmon guy, and he is a weirdo with always on DRM, and he added the ability to ban you from the mod via the forums. Dude is lame, but no-one has been able to make as complete a mod, (or as well done.)

No, I mean the Darwin mod I believe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

I can't reproduce this. What sort of warhammer is it?
Stone. Searching the Balkon thread a lot of people are having the same problem, but no one seems to have a solution. I just gave up and started using battleaxes.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Red_October_7000 posted:

For whatever reason my combustion engines don't seem to be actually doing anything anymore. Did one of the latest updates to Yogscast Complete mess up their interactions with universal cable or something? If I disconnect my reactor my 4-times ore processing rig shuts down and all the engines show 10,000 MJ stored...

Hate to quote my own post but the problem does seem to be with the universal cables. I dismantled the big diesel engine I had going and put in a tiny steam boiler to test things, and was able to get steam to a MineFactory Reloaded steam turbine, which filled up with steam and shortly thereafter power, which wouldn't come out. I replaced the cable with ultimate cable I cheated in for testing, no dice. As soon as I cheated in some galacticraft cable and stuck one length of that between the turbine and the universal cable, everything sprung to life.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I just set up a server with Agrarian Skies (mp map) and am pretty much a complete noob.

Anyone interested in joining and being a stupid noob with me?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

PHOOsun posted:

Anyone tried out MaterialEnergy³ on the FTB launcher ?

Someone with bandwidth should boost this thing, and put it up on Technic. It sounds interesting.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Hagop posted:

Someone with bandwidth should boost this thing, and put it up on Technic. It sounds interesting.

Sadly, I am all tapped out on Minecraft servers until the new machine gets delivered to Dallas in a week or two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hagop posted:

You got it! If there is one thing I like more than 1.2.5 it's depriving Slowpoke of users.

Note: it doesn't seem to like making new maps so I generated a fresh one in the FTB launcher and included it:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/material-energy3.482502

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Howmuch posted:

I just set up a server with Agrarian Skies (mp map) and am pretty much a complete noob.

Anyone interested in joining and being a stupid noob with me?

Yeah, if you don't mind an overly laggy australian who's probably going to be most interested in playing with the food and fishing mechanics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, more End of Light questions: I'm still basically in the stone age, huddling in my slowly-expanding hillside cave while hordes of monsters swarm the outside every night, I've dug deep enough to sleep soundly and reset my spawn point, I've got some basic stone/flint tools (including a fire-aspect knife since sword blades are out of reach), and I finally figured out I can avoid starving to death by watering my garden with a can, after I spent nearly a dozen lives trying to dig out a sunroof for my interior garden which is at long last producing crops. Until I get some more diverse foods and the tools to support them, bread seems like my best bet, especially since wheat crops can produce 3-4 units at a time for a whole loaf per plant per harvest. Oh, and I turned down the Iguana Tweaks Config so tools don't have such a long loving grind to upgrade, because I'm not digging out 1000 blocks to upgrade my bone shovel one time.
So my question is I've started stocking up some basic supplies like iron and emerald (from all the chunks the monsters drop), I have a few pieces of iron and chainmail I've kept pristine for later smelting, and I've got some copper ore waiting to get melted down.

Those who've played, what should be my priority here? Should I get a smeltery up ASAP, maybe even an advanced tool table for as much metal as that will cost? What should I save/spend my early iron for? And any basic tips you wish you'd known the first time through?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

You got it! If there is one thing I like more than 1.2.5 it's depriving Slowpoke of users.

Note: it doesn't seem to like making new maps so I generated a fresh one in the FTB launcher and included it:

[url][/url]

I like the Direwolf420, anyways says it's unavailible? Still uploading or was it taken down already?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

So, more End of Light questions: I'm still basically in the stone age, huddling in my slowly-expanding hillside cave while hordes of monsters swarm the outside every night, I've dug deep enough to sleep soundly and reset my spawn point, I've got some basic stone/flint tools (including a fire-aspect knife since sword blades are out of reach), and I finally figured out I can avoid starving to death by watering my garden with a can, after I spent nearly a dozen lives trying to dig out a sunroof for my interior garden which is at long last producing crops. Until I get some more diverse foods and the tools to support them, bread seems like my best bet, especially since wheat crops can produce 3-4 units at a time for a whole loaf per plant per harvest. Oh, and I turned down the Iguana Tweaks Config so tools don't have such a long loving grind to upgrade, because I'm not digging out 1000 blocks to upgrade my bone shovel one time.
So my question is I've started stocking up some basic supplies like iron and emerald (from all the chunks the monsters drop), I have a few pieces of iron and chainmail I've kept pristine for later smelting, and I've got some copper ore waiting to get melted down.

Those who've played, what should be my priority here? Should I get a smeltery up ASAP, maybe even an advanced tool table for as much metal as that will cost? What should I save/spend my early iron for? And any basic tips you wish you'd known the first time through?

Get a smeltery up ASAP so that you can make metal picks. I would suggest making a steel pick- make sure you have TWO steel ingots. Use that pick to mine copper and tin, then repair it and switch the pick's material to bronze so you will be able to keep it repaired. Presto, you skipped the copper and iron tiers. On the other hand if you have enough chainmail for 4 ingots, for the love of god, save it. If you can get some ferrous ore to make an induction furnace, you can make more steel with it and avoid mining the nether for pig iron. You'd still need two diamonds too, though. You can skip having to boost your bronze pick by mining meteors and making a meteor pickaxe, which can mine everything in the overworld.

Iron in the early game can't be used to make anything especially important, except for perhaps cooking tools or a grappling hook. You could make an iron pick even without the smeltery, but uh, that costs 3 ingots. I guess if you kill a lot of GoG mobs somehow that'd be feasible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Even without counting iron chestplates waiting to be melted down I have like 16 iron ingots. Will do about the bronze/steel though. So is bronze better than/equal to steel, then?
Definitely want to get TE machines up as soon as possible though, seems like a big gateway towards larger production instead of just scrabbling to get by.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cerepol posted:

I like the Direwolf420, anyways says it's unavailible? Still uploading or was it taken down already?

:shrug: I tested it before I posted here; and I just tested it again and it downloaded fine and installed without any problems. Maybe try it again?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Rutibex posted:

:shrug: I tested it before I posted here; and I just tested it again and it downloaded fine and installed without any problems. Maybe try it again?

It seems to be working for me, are you using http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/material-energy3 as the platform URL Cerepol?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Even without counting iron chestplates waiting to be melted down I have like 16 iron ingots. Will do about the bronze/steel though. So is bronze better than/equal to steel, then?
Definitely want to get TE machines up as soon as possible though, seems like a big gateway towards larger production instead of just scrabbling to get by.

Steel is the same mining level as bronze, yes. Steel has more durability, but by the time you can make steel you're probably using an alumite pick anyway.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm playing on a server using the latest version of the Yogscast Complete pack, and I'm a bit confused as to how exactly to do research in Thaumcraft. The scribing tools are in the desk and it's a proper research station and all that, but it won't take my paper. Am I missing something?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm playing on a server using the latest version of the Yogscast Complete pack, and I'm a bit confused as to how exactly to do research in Thaumcraft. The scribing tools are in the desk and it's a proper research station and all that, but it won't take my paper. Am I missing something?

Scribing tools and paper in your inventory...then go to Thauminomicon and click research on something. It will create a note that you then place in the table along with the scribing tools. Rinse and repeat. You don't actually place the vanilla paper in the table.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hitch posted:

Scribing tools and paper in your inventory...then go to Thauminomicon and click research on something. It will create a note that you then place in the table along with the scribing tools. Rinse and repeat. You don't actually place the vanilla paper in the table.

Repeat three or four times, realize how thoroughly horseshit the research aspect (haw) of Thaumcraft is, and ask a server operator for a creative Thaumonomicon. :v:

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Repeat three or four times, realize how thoroughly horseshit the research aspect (haw) of Thaumcraft is, and ask a server operator for a creative Thaumonomicon. :v:

This really is the best way to go. There's still good progression to Thaumcraft without the research system, and you still have to have a good idea of what aspects things are made of in order to do any alchemy or crafting, so it's not like you're missing out on the 'research' idea anymore.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Theres also an alterative if you prefer, in the thaumcraft ingame commands. /tc help for the list.

Theres two really useful ones:
/tc aspect <your name> <aspect / all> <amount>
/tc warp <your name> <add / set> <amount>.

So just give yourself 500 of each primal aspect (Ignis, Perditio, Aer, Aqua, Terra and Ordo), set to easy mode research and awaaaay you go. E: A command block on a server might be a nice way to go about this. Push Button, receive arcane research grant. :pseudo:

I really like the warp effects and its flavour, i just wish there were other cures and more unexpected boons. Unnatural hunger is in the right direction with this. Sun Scorned should fade faster in total darkness, Deadly G(l)aze should be contained if you wear goggles, THE SPIDERS! and the eldritch guardians are fights but the guardians in particular should be capped at 4. Blindness and dizziness are short enough to not be too irritating, the prior being curable by milk anyway. Edit: And the loving flux flu/phage. There needs to be a "Cure for the Thaumic "Cold"" item that can be crafted then thrown to cure and innoculate an area. I infected way too many livestock one time. :smith:

Cant think of anymore, but hey, i got 10 aspects of research from a boon once, that was nice. :unsmith:

As for getting a mob of guardians coming to collect their dues, i think its time to build a panic room. Golemancy is easier then i realised and six of the thaumic ones fully tooled up should murder the guardians, i hope. :awesomelon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
At its worst I was getting attacked by between 8 and 14 Eldritch Guardians every few minutes. They have a cap now so that they don't spawn so many that the game freezes but it can get silly.

• Locked thread