Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Aw, Gig, just divorce her already and give her the chance to marry a fella who isn't constantly trying to runn a dick-measuring contest with her.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Devor posted:

I like the art from these early Peanuts a lot better than the older canon-appearance. Seems cleaner. Maybe it's the hands? Some googling shows that the current fingers are uneven and sloppy.

It might be because of the geometric shapes. Everything seem really round in these earlier ones, which is weird because I'd think that would be harder to draw.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Eh, you could probably make a profit on the resale. Provided you know where to sell of course.

fake edit: Ah, forget it. Looks like nobody bothers with the tags in this thread anymore. Not that I blame you since most of the huge comics are gone.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cholmondeley posted:

Nope, just one. I believe there might be weed involved though.

I smoke a quarter-ounce a week and it's still baffling to me. It really gives off the impression of a writer who just wants to do safe, innocuous jokes and an artist who keeps interpreting them in the most bizarre ways humanly possible to piss the writer off.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Eh, you could probably make a profit on the resale. Provided you know where to sell of course.

fake edit: Ah, forget it. Looks like nobody bothers with the tags in this thread anymore. Not that I blame you since most of the huge comics are gone.
:allears:

Wouldn't it work just to wipe it off? But after that image I can't blame her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look you cant just wipe off a watch that's just been born. It isnt right.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The secret is that that baby is dead and they're doing a death photo.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The novelty of the joke being "goofy outdated clothes" is lost when the comic itself is almost 100 years old and always features goofy, outdated clothes from our perspective.

I mean the joke is they all died of polio and whooping cough this is a pro-vaccine comic eat poo poo Jenny McCarthy :420: :coolfish:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

I dunno, Wiley, this just doesn't work well for me.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 9/14/2003

That correlation really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Zits

Don't forget folks, the trees are sentient. They're screaming now in pain, and horror. Nice job you two.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

And then she accidentally hits the delete button.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Thank you.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts gives us a moment of Biblical meditation...with a punchline. (September 17, 1967)

Hey everybody, Shermy showed up for work today! I can't remember if Sparky ever gave him another line, though.

Funky Winkerbean

The only way you can find real joy in life in the Funkyverse is to know it's almost over. Cameo by the mummified husk of Ed Crankshaft.

Classic Popeye Sunday gives us "cruel tricks for dear friends"...and "The Mystery of The Disintegrating Page". (c. 1940garble)

In our last Sunday Pogo, Beauregard and the cat were being accosted by a thing that looks like a pile of dirty yarn with googly eyes. Takes my breath away...oh wait, that's lunch burning. (August 31, 1969, click through for the readable one)

First Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

There are no puzzles to solve in today's Out Our Way panels. Hope you're not disappointed. (August 31-September 1, 1925)

(e: ...except for how long it'll take Serdar Argic to catch that last caption.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I smoke a quarter-ounce a week and it's still baffling to me. It really gives off the impression of a writer who just wants to do safe, innocuous jokes and an artist who keeps interpreting them in the most bizarre ways humanly possible to piss the writer off.

Gately did the strip for years in a certain style, and now his nephew has taken it over. I think he's trying to walk the line between the long time fans, but appeal to a slightly younger demographic as well. I embrace the bizarreness that is modern Heathcliff. There's nothing else like it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't plan ahead very well.

Working Daze understands repercussions.

Dana is the manager's personal assistant, this girl is her sister who's dating the nerdy guy. They both have cosmic powers because why the hell not.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

The Phantom

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"Skull, that's what I was gonna say! Nnnot... stripey panties or anything..."

Also, the degree to which Lynne Johnston hated being a mother is kind of blood-chilling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Don't forget folks, the trees are sentient. They're screaming now in pain, and horror. Nice job you two.

Harcourt just eat Wendell already. Make his foot into a keychain and his pelt into a wallet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I just can't think anything good about a skull.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I mean, what do skulls make you think of? Death, cannibals, beheading, pirates...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Keeps your brains in?

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
spoopy skerrit skellingtons.

Cul-de-sac is beautifully painted today.

Heathcliff

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Isn't that webbing like ridiculously strong? Like if he can get pissed off and bust out of the webbing, shouldn't he be able to bust out of the walls of that jail? Or just pull the bars apart that Spidey just loosened up for him?

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

One of the things I absolutely love about Prince Valiant is how often a monster or demon is illustrated as just some real-world thing that we know exists but the characters aren't familiar with, like the sea monster being recognizable as an unusually large eel, or the ogre that was a gorilla. It's just such a perfect way of portraying the world it's set in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Humanoid Female posted:

One of the things I absolutely love about Prince Valiant is how often a monster or demon is illustrated as just some real-world thing that we know exists but the characters aren't familiar with, like the sea monster being recognizable as an unusually large eel, or the ogre that was a gorilla. It's just such a perfect way of portraying the world it's set in.

I know that it's not this period, but from the 70s to 2004 Cullen Murphy was the writer on Prince Valiant. He has a degree in Medieval History from Amherst and was managing editor of The Atlantic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Spider-Man's webbing is only really strong when it's inconvenient for Spider-Man for it to be that strong.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

:golfclap: Nicely executed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know that it's not this period, but from the 70s to 2004 Cullen Murphy was the writer on Prince Valiant. He has a degree in Medieval History from Amherst and was managing editor of The Atlantic.

Cullen Murphy, as in Big Ben Bolt's John Cullen Murphy? (checks) Huh, they're father and son, and they did PV together after Hal Foster got too old to keep up with it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Something something "everybody do the zombie strip stomp," something.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year One (May 14-16, 1951)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (September 3, 1967)

In a similar vein from the 50s:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Presto posted:

In a similar vein from the 50s:

Ah, a midpoint between the transition from Actual Dog to the weird kid in a funny costume we have today.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of...

Tales from the Duck Side

Hey Look!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (June 27, 1927)

Peanuts (September 18, 1967)

Please don't be calling Sean Hannity...definitely please don't be calling Alex Jones...

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

:ohdear:

Don't worry he used a finger gun. Seriously, is being a colorist really that hard a job?

• Locked thread