Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Are there even portable cd players that could handle the movement of jogging? Especially an older one.

And if anyone doubts how stupid people can be with computers, remember that the top Google result for "Facebook login" not being the Facebook login had people commenting angrily on it complaining that they didn't like the new Facebook look and couldn't find where to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

Are there even portable cd players that could handle the movement of jogging? Especially an older one.

Yes, my first portable cd player was a toshiba 'bitstream' player that I bought in 1994, it had 30 seconds of buffering and ran at 2x (or 4x, idr) so that you could jog with it, and as long as it could read some data in between the bouncing, it was fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Praseodymi posted:

A ton of Sony's Discman series advertised that they had a buffer specifically so you can jog and listen to stuff.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
The STDH in that story is this

quote:

Me: “I’m sorry. It’s illegal to return opened CDs in this state."
Clerks say poo poo like this all the time because they heard someone else say it, because someone made it up, because they figure customers can't be mad at them if they just tell them "it's illegal."

But yeah, the rest of the story is a pretty typical tale of lovely customer service.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Yeah as long as it doesn't work or if they simply don't like it/want it, almost every store will give them back.

Years ago I worked at hastings when the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war was going full scale and a lot of people came in pissed off that this dvd wont work for them. So we had to either exchange it for the DVD copy or give them their money back.

It made me mad back in the day because how hard is it to see the blu-ray/hd-dvd logo its their own fault yadda yadda. I was a massive goony douche and feel bad now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also a lot of places that still sell CDs tell their cashiers to say that. It's so people won't buy a CD, run home and rip it, and then bring it back. It's retarded, because anyone that just wants some free music has a billion options for getting it other than "Rip off -your store here-" Hastings, in particular, is super-anal about that poo poo. One store I used to go to stopped taking returns even if they sold a hosed-up CD, they'd just spout that crap about CD returns not being allowed.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Captain Bravo posted:

Also a lot of places that still sell CDs tell their cashiers to say that. It's so people won't buy a CD, run home and rip it, and then bring it back. It's retarded, because anyone that just wants some free music has a billion options for getting it other than "Rip off -your store here-" Hastings, in particular, is super-anal about that poo poo. One store I used to go to stopped taking returns even if they sold a hosed-up CD, they'd just spout that crap about CD returns not being allowed.
We sell software over music, but we won't let take back opened software for refunds, only exchange. Because our suppliers won't take it back and we eat the loss, for everyone but Microsoft. And yeah, people try and return open software all the time just because. One guy got pissed because we exchanged it and opened the replacement. It's just loving easier to tell people it's illegal than to argue with assholes for 20+ minutes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Tumblr? STDH? TSTDH?

Buh
May 17, 2008
Unless your company are total nazis and don't give you a proper level of autonomy, this is also where you give him the drat refund, shrinkwrap it and sell it again.
Nobody loses, not even from ~piracy~ when it's this clear that the customer had no idea how to do that.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Buh posted:

I have not ever worked in a retail setting.

Tons of companies don't give their front line retail employees any leeway whatsoever to bend rules. There is not ever any room for interpretation. Regardless that cashier handled it poorly, and didn't even try to do anything to accommodate the customer.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Imaduck posted:

Clerks say poo poo like this all the time because they heard someone else say it, because someone made it up, because they figure customers can't be mad at them if they just tell them "it's illegal."

It's complete bullshit, sure, but a lot of clerks do believe it actually is illegal to process a return for an opened movie or video game.

Buh
May 17, 2008
My job is literally refund processing, sorry your business has a more oppresive culture I guess.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Buh posted:

My job is literally refund processing, sorry your business has a more oppresive culture I guess.

I think you're lucky to have an experience that gives you this attitude. From my own experience, autonomy is frowned on in low level retail employees. That's why "let me get the manager" is a key phrase in real life and stdh. It could also be that a lot of NAR stuff is made up by people who have a vague idea of how stores work and think they have a funny idea.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Less Doctor Who STDH, more Disney STDH.

"My little sister is so Goddamn special!!!"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ah yes, the ever-friendly face of the Disney Corporation, "Joe Disney". What a lovable guy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rahonavis posted:

Hello, little girl, where are you parents? Oh, I'm Joe Disney. Why don't you sing me a song? Oops, I think I can see your dad, I have to go.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

http://www.wtf-secrets.com

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's not something you should write in a font where the 9 looks really similar to the 1. I had a bit of a :stare: moment just now.

e: it's not really something you should write in any font but right now that aspect stands out

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Sep 14, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

jodai posted:

I think you're lucky to have an experience that gives you this attitude. From my own experience, autonomy is frowned on in low level retail employees. That's why "let me get the manager" is a key phrase in real life and stdh. It could also be that a lot of NAR stuff is made up by people who have a vague idea of how stores work and think they have a funny idea.

Having been a retail grunt, the phrase "let me get a manager for you" is the way you deal with angry people. Let the low level manager who makes $1.25/hr more than you get screamed at all day.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

canyoneer posted:

Having been a retail grunt, the phrase "let me get a manager for you" is the way you deal with angry people. Let the low level manager who makes $1.25/hr more than you get screamed at all day.

A good manager who is more experienced also might know a way to defuse a pissed-off customer or at least make them go away faster.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Tendai posted:

Tumblr? STDH? TSTDH?

This is one hundred percent definitely a joke. Like I know this for certain.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

:stare: Yes let me come right over to dinner, psycho father who sext-roleplays his uncontrollably horny daughter just for fun.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Why is it always $100 in these dumb stories?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Just posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread but it fits here too:

2edgy4me

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Paladinus posted:

Hello, little girl, where are you parents? Oh, I'm Joe Disney. Why don't you sing me a song? Oops, I think I can see your dad, I have to go.

There isn't a Joe Disney. The younger Roy Disney's sons are Roy and Tim; Walt only had daughters. Can't people loving Google for a second before making up stdh/masquerading as grandchildren of actual creative people?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

There isn't a Joe Disney. The younger Roy Disney's sons are Roy and Tim; Walt only had daughters. Can't people loving Google for a second before making up stdh/masquerading as grandchildren of actual creative people?

Umm, because doing research takes valuable time from their posting schedule.

Also, it was a paedo gearing up to snatch the little sister. Why ruin a great, inspiring little story with unhappy reality?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

Oh, and is it DisneyLAND or DisneyWORLD? Or are awesome little sister and Joe Disney unstuck in reality and randomly flipping between the two?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Samizdata posted:

Oh, and is it DisneyLAND or DisneyWORLD? Or are awesome little sister and Joe Disney unstuck in reality and randomly flipping between the two?

It says Disneyland (well, it says "Disney land") but that doesn't matter because "Joe Disney" is hilarious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

It says Disneyland (well, it says "Disney land") but that doesn't matter because "Joe Disney" is hilarious.

Not so much. As she says, "He politely asked her to think of a Disney Song to sing ya know since their at Disney World."

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

There actually is a TV sports reporter named Joe Disney, but he says that he is only very distantly related to Walt. I wonder if his existence might have had some influence on the made-up story? (Nah, probably not.)

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

What would be even sadder is if that actually did happen, but it was just some guy loving with them. The girl is gonna be so sad when she comes back next year all ready to sing :(

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lowly posted:

What would be even sadder is if that actually did happen, but it was just some guy loving with them. The girl is gonna be so sad when she comes back next year all ready to sing :(

One of the kids I used to tutor was thrilled that some 'record company executive' wanted to hire her to sing at his daughter's wedding. In New York. We live near LA. It was supposed to be a big secret, and she wasn't supposed to tell anyone he was taking her. I tried to talk her out of it, but this was going to be her 'big break'. Fortunately she got sick. You'd better believe I warned her folks.

Anyway...

This next one screams STDH. Girls are soo dumb, amirite?

quote:

Big Words, Small Mind
COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY | CANADA | LANGUAGE & WORDS, MATH & SCIENCE
(We just finished our group presentation and the professor asks the class to give feedback. We get good feedback from the people evaluating us. A random girl in the class decides to interject her opinion.)

Girl: ”I feel like the last few groups kept using words they didn’t even write themselves. Like ‘organic compounds,’ like really? Who says words like that in real life?”

Me: That’s what they are CALLED… This is a science class. We are going to use scientific terms.”

(The rest of the class jumped down her throat and laughed at her because she basically called every other group out for using ‘big words’ she didn’t understand to try to make them look bad in front of the professor.)

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

bringmyfishback posted:

It says "Disney land" first then later "Disney World".

And, not even discussing the tenuous family link, the more important fact is that the Disney family no longer has any business link or dealings with the Walt Disney Company. The last one was Roy (Walt's nephew), and he died in 2009. :( So even if Random Disney says "I'll make you a star!" he's probably just some pedophile.

edit:

Samizdata posted:

Not so much. As she says, "He politely asked her to think of a Disney Song to sing ya know since their at Disney World."

:arghfist::pseudo:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I like that idiot writing the Disney STDH (or misunderstood advances from a pedo) finds it plausible that Disney would want to record a random kid to re-record their songs to play in the parks. Because I guess they can't use the world-recognized originals?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr. Belpit posted:

I like that idiot writing the Disney STDH (or misunderstood advances from a pedo) finds it plausible that Disney would want to record a random kid to re-record their songs to play in the parks. Because I guess they can't use the world-recognized originals?

But, but, but... This is 'Murrica where anyone can be a star with just the right break! The Land of Opportunity! As long as you start out with a rich family!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Unless you're approximately one year too young, because Disney is well known for never using children in its entertainment ventures

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sounds like something a company could do for a Make A Wish kid dying of cancer, but, y'know, it didn't happen. I asked Joe Disney and he didn't remember it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Sounds like something a company could do for a Make A Wish kid dying of cancer, but, y'know, it didn't happen. I asked Joe Disney and he didn't remember it.

Huh. I asked him and all he could talk about was how cute the girl was...

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A good manager who is more experienced also might know a way to defuse a pissed-off customer or at least make them go away faster.

As a former "manager": the quick fix is to say the customer is right, the salesperson is wrong, give them whatever they want, so you don't have some screaming shitlord drawing the attention of all your other customers.

Well in shit_that_does_happen.txt land anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

http://notalwaysfriendly.com/not-bigot-on-accents/35176
Not Big(ot) On Accents

(I’m a Caucasian expat living in Singapore. I’ve learned to speak the local creole well enough to get by, as my foreign accent often comes across as unintelligible. On the train on my way home from work one night, a Caucasian man steps into my carriage.)

Man: *looks around, spots me, and openly gawks* “Oh, THANK GOD!”

(He practically runs towards me and sits right next to me, despite most seats being unoccupied.)

Man: “Another NORMAL person, finally! Aw, man, I can’t tell you how great it is to see you! I mean, this place is ridiculous! It’s full of… Asians!”

Me: *raises an eyebrow while frowning*

Man: “Yeah, like, I wanted a holiday and everything, but I didn’t want a tropical place that didn’t have stores and bars and stuff, y’know? So the travel guy said Singapore would be good, but everyone here is bloody Chinese or something! I don’t know what’s wrong with the place!”

Me: *trying my best to sound as local as possible* “Aiyah, why you come Singapore one ah? Dis one cannot lah!”

(The man looked terrified and scooted away.)

Also freeing the ghost posts!

• Locked thread