Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Occultatio posted:

Can anyone confirm or deny that GTA: San Andreas on Steam is a giant pile of crap of a port? It didn't even recognize my mouse at first, although I found a fix for that, but the m/k controls are still hella janky and there doesn't seem to be any good way to use a 360 pad (I found one joytokey map, but it claimed you needed to disable the gamepad's driver to work, which, what?).

Is there a known process for making this game playable on PC, or is it in the Saints Row 2 pile? Looking on the Steam forums brings up several contradictory fixes, none of which have yet worked for me.

I've played hundreds of hours of this game on PC both for the original retail version and just recently for a playthrough of the Steam version and had zero problems with the port, though I never tried to play with a gamepad - mouse/keyboard gave me no issues at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Turtlicious posted:

Please help me try and tame this down a bit, I can't really afford 50$ right now, but I don't know which games to let go of.

Why are you buying the games? You asked if one of them was even any good, are you just buying them because you are in the habit of occasionally buying things off steam?

I got into that habit. Making a purchase gives us a quick hit of feel happy hormones. If you are trying to save money then just get the one you're getting for the group and choose an unplayed/unfinished or game you haven't played for ages. Urge to buy new games will fade and you can wait happy until you can easily afford it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Turtlicious posted:

Please help me try and tame this down a bit, I can't really afford 50$ right now, but I don't know which games to let go of.

You shouldn't buy any of them and instead pick up Volgarr: The Viking while it's 75% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/

For that matter you probably shouldn't buy anything unless it's 75% off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lethemonster posted:

Why are you buying the games? You asked if one of them was even any good, are you just buying them because you are in the habit of occasionally buying things off steam?

I got into that habit. Making a purchase gives us a quick hit of feel happy hormones. If you are trying to save money then just get the one you're getting for the group and choose an unplayed/unfinished or game you haven't played for ages. Urge to buy new games will fade and you can wait happy until you can easily afford it.

I don't know now that I think about it, I just was reading about one of them and I had an urge to buy it. I ended up not getting the 5 pack since we're not going to play it together, I want to wait to see if the online community caves. So I got Dungeon of The Endless, then I realized I just "wanted" the other 2 and I wasn't going to play them.

I think Marketing works really well on me, because I didn't even stop to think why I wanted to buy them, that's kinda scary.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Occultatio posted:

Can anyone confirm or deny that GTA: San Andreas on Steam is a giant pile of crap of a port? It didn't even recognize my mouse at first, although I found a fix for that, but the m/k controls are still hella janky and there doesn't seem to be any good way to use a 360 pad (I found one joytokey map, but it claimed you needed to disable the gamepad's driver to work, which, what?).

Is there a known process for making this game playable on PC, or is it in the Saints Row 2 pile? Looking on the Steam forums brings up several contradictory fixes, none of which have yet worked for me.
It's just a port from before the 360pad became "the thing to have", old style general gamepads have always worked fine with it.
I bought the disk version on release and played through it 3-4 times no problem, it's likely just "older game issues"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xaris posted:

Third: This is a indie multiplayer only game so it's going to die and be left with a few dozen of the same incestous vet players that plagues every small MP game. Coupled with the devs blowing their "NEW GAME LAUNCH TITLE WOOOP!" free advertising while having a fairly unfinished game, people are going to shelf it reaaally quick and then it'll be a death spiral.
This is a stupid loving point that people don't really understand when to bring up. Buying indie multiplayer games is a mistake when the game is already dead and is on the second X-mas sale already and somebody asks if it's worth buying by then (it's not).

When the game only just releases it's the absolute perfect time to buy it and have fun with while the community is big and new. Additionally for the price of $3.50 it's not like you have to wait for a sale anyway. "Woah this game will be dead in a year, don't buy this poo poo" :downs:.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Turtlicious posted:

I think Marketing works really well on me, because I didn't even stop to think why I wanted to buy them, that's kinda scary.

Me too. I've been reading studies on this stuff for work and apparently the pleasure you derive from buying something new (that isn't necessary) wears off in a short while and you end up feeling the same as before you bought it, and the same as if you hadn't bought it at all. I remind myself when I go to buy something when I'm short of money and it makes me assess if I even want it let alone 'need' it.

I did get Risk of Rain in a bundle though and it's insanely fun. I had a question about single player versus multiplayer though. In local co op when we restart we keep a lot of things like power ups and money. But in single player I actually have to start from scratch each time. It seems impossible to progress on single player. What am I missing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Marketing works on everyone, that's why it's there.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Turtlicious posted:

I want to wait to see if the online community caves

It probably will if everyone decides to wait :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Buy the games you want to play right now.

If you're not already stuck playing another game.

Also I've been playing Hatoful Boyfriend, got a few cards, and goddamn why are the cards going for 50c each. :stare:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Buy the games you want to play right now.

If you're not already stuck playing another game.

Also I've been playing Hatoful Boyfriend, got a few cards, and goddamn why are the cards going for 50c each. :stare:

They're relatively rare and everyone wants the funny badges.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DMC was fun, even if it was the bosses and level design more than anything else. The fight with Lilith though. :catstare:

Time to get through DMC4 and inevitably gently caress things up as I've trained myself to fight the wrong way.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

SynthOrange posted:

That's true for basically anything vaguely anime, and you can't get much more anime than a dating visual novel. :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Delusibeta posted:

That's true for basically anything vaguely anime, and you can't get much more anime than a dating visual novel. :v:

Yeah, anime games are especially good for getting higher value cards. What surprised me that Eversion cards were going for about €0.30 a pop and sold immediately, too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poptart_fairy posted:

Time to get through DMC4 and inevitably gently caress things up as I've trained myself to fight the wrong way.
The best tips I can give you as Nero is: You can pretty much grapple move everything, sometimes you can even rip defenses off enemies.
For the love of god rebind charge shot and Exceed to something more comfortable instead of the default 360 layout.
A good basic strategy is to sidestep a lot, smack a thing into the air a thing and then airjuggle it. Enemies that are offscreen are less aggressive and this is a nice way to control crowds.

Also if you like the game or not, do give Legendary Dark Knight Mode a try, its PC-only and about as hard as between normal-hard but a ton of enemies and just a blast to play.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This week is going to be mindblowingly amazing for old-school RPG fans. All out in the same 24-hour space (4-5 days from now) is...

Dragonfall: Directors's Cut (Standalone, overhauled version of Shadowrun Returns' expansion)
Elminage Gothic (Retro dungeon crawl by one of the Japanese Wizardry series developers)
Wasteland 2 (The great grand-daddy of post-apocalyptic RPGs returns).

A bunch more stuff due out by the end of the year, too, including Pillars of Eternity, Legend of Grimrock 2, and hopefully that 1.1 update for Divinity: Original Sin that'll add the last two fully voiced/plotted companion characters.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is Wasteland 2 really any good? Im wary of all those kickstarter projects really.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes it's amazing. A true old-school RPG with a few neat modern trappings. If you want to play the real modern Fallout (aside from New Vegas, obv) you can't do much better.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Is Wasteland 2 really any good? Im wary of all those kickstarter projects really.

It's a bit expensive for my emaciated wallet right now, but I've heard nothing but praise from those with beta access.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

It's a bit expensive for my emaciated wallet right now, but I've heard nothing but praise from those with beta access.

IIRC, it's dropping to $40 on release so best to wait if you're interested in it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

FrickenMoron posted:

I wasn't feeling the beta, but I didn't get deep enough into it. I think one of the first game choices was to save a bunch of slaves or pay the fee to pass a bridge and I accidentally triggered everyone to go hostile.

Yeah, it's one of those games.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I have a feeling Wasteland 2 is totally not going to be my thing, but eh it was only $15.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Randomly started playing The Darkness II because I heard good things and I got it in a bundle a while back. I wasn't expecting much because I played the first one for about 15 minutes back when it first came out and being put off by a bunch of weird things-- mostly that you could see your own feet.

Turns out it's pretty satisfying! I mean the story is kinda... not great... but it feels good to grab a car door with demon tentacles, shoot some guys in the face, slice open a guy by throwing the car door at him, then lift a guy into the air with your tentacles and slam him into the ground. It's also an oddly colorful game, which is something you wouldn't really expect from a game called The Darkness.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Wasteland 2 has ugly character models and its character creation is a little too obtuse (as in you don't get enough information to make informed skill/attribute choices) but the content itself is substantial and properly weird. There are a lot of cool details in the environment and text descriptions, too.

Once you get rolling and understand that the Ambush button is XCOM's Overwatch it's a very absorbing game.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

FrickenMoron posted:

I can't speak for Wasteland 2 but Divinity: Original Sin was a kickstarter backed game and came out to great reviews and financial success for the studio.

edit: point being, kickstarter backed projects shouldn't have the 'early access' generic warning flags attached to them but some of them are more 'niche' products that wouldn't have existed otherwise

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 14, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Elminage Gothic (Retro dungeon crawl by one of the Japanese Wizardry series developers)

Also preorders come with the soundtrack and a digital artbook/bestiary, apparently only available before it releases.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Dominic White posted:

This week is going to be mindblowingly amazing for old-school RPG fans. All out in the same 24-hour space (4-5 days from now) is...

Dragonfall: Directors's Cut (Standalone, overhauled version of Shadowrun Returns' expansion)
Wasteland 2 (The great grand-daddy of post-apocalyptic RPGs returns).

A bunch more stuff due out by the end of the year, too, including Pillars of Eternity, Legend of Grimrock 2, and hopefully that 1.1 update for Divinity: Original Sin that'll add the last two fully voiced/plotted companion characters.

Speaking of Legend of Grimrock 2, the developers have been posting a lot of neat details on their site, and just revealed the main cover art for the game.

There's also sketches of other concepts they played with before settling on this one, as well as a time-lapse gif of it being drawn.
http://www.grimrock.net/2014/09/11/legend-of-grimrock-2-key-art-revealed/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mr. nobody posted:

I can't speak for Wasteland 2 but Divinity: Original Sin was a kickstarter backed game and came out to great reviews and financial success for the studio.
They haven't hit financial success just yet - according to the founder of Larian, Original Sin only broke even just recently - but seeing as it's only been two months I'd imagine the next couple of years will be kind to it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

They haven't hit financial success just yet - according to the founder of Larian, Original Sin only broke even just recently - but seeing as it's only been two months I'd imagine the next couple of years will be kind to it.

Yeah, they went all-in with Original Sin. It took all that Kickstarter money, plus every penny they could borrow and scrounge up to produce it, but it made it all back within a couple months. Everything from here is all profit, and they've not even been in any sales yet.

Larian really seem to like pushing it to the limit. Divinity 2 almost bankrupted them too. It's a minor miracle they got to make the extended/reworked version of it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 14, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Every time I see this banner all I can think of is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mystery_of_the_Druids#mediaviewer/File:The_Mystery_of_the_Druids_Coverart.jpg

It's apparently a 4XFantasy game that looks a lot like AoW3 or something. Has anyone played it? I'm a sucker for some fantasy strategy but not dropping 40bux on it sight unseen.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

iastudent posted:

Also preorders come with the soundtrack and a digital artbook/bestiary, apparently only available before it releases.

Knowing Ghostlight, it'll probably be $5 DLC in a couple of months' time.

But yeah, I'm tempted to buy in to Eliminage Gothic largely because it's Ghostlight porting (and localising) a game that's not made by Compile Heart.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Elminage Gothic looks pretty good, but god drat, why would you bring back THAC0? That's a system that needed to die with the late 80s/early 90s.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Elminage Gothic looks pretty good, but god drat, why would you bring back THAC0? That's a system that needed to die with the late 80s/early 90s.

For some reason, D&D 2nd edition rules just kinda stuck with Japanese retro RPGs, especially Wizardry derivatives (of which there are TONS). It's not the most intuitive of rules, but at least it's easier to deal with in CRPGs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not Steam, but GOG is having a sale on too many games to list until Monday. Maybe there'll be some games you want that fell through the cracks in previous sales? And some games are cheaper on GOG than they were on Steam during the Summer Sale.

http://www.gog.com/games#%23sort=bestselling&price=discounted&page=1

e: Examples -- Primordia is $3, Don't Starve is $5, Witcher 2 is $3, I know people complain about Primordia never getting a Flash sale. Rise of the Triad 2013 is $3, Rayman Origins is $5, Ether One is $8.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 14, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Wasteland 2 has ugly character models and its character creation is a little too obtuse (as in you don't get enough information to make informed skill/attribute choices) but the content itself is substantial and properly weird. There are a lot of cool details in the environment and text descriptions, too.

Once you get rolling and understand that the Ambush button is XCOM's Overwatch it's a very absorbing game.

I kickstarted it because I always wanted to play the original as a kid (and couldn't be hosed to get beyond the first area when they gave us the original later), but... I'm really not sure how far I'm going to get with the sequel either. The new video where they showcase chargen, get their characters killed by robots in the first plot encounter, then go back and make specialized anti-robot characters to stomp the encounter really didn't fill me with confidence in their balance goals. I just hope it was an extreme example of how loadouts and tactics can win an otherwise overwhelming battle, and not an invitation to read their minds and rebind the quick-load button somewhere comfortable.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't played a ton of the beta, but yeah, I think it's the former and not the latter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

For some reason, D&D 2nd edition rules just kinda stuck with Japanese retro RPGs, especially Wizardry derivatives (of which there are TONS). It's not the most intuitive of rules, but at least it's easier to deal with in CRPGs.

D&D 2nd Edition was the first pen and paper system to get really big over there and Japanese gamers have always been weird about change so it stayed.

General Emergency, just stick with Age of Wonders 3 (and maybe buy the expansion this week since it's only 12$.) Worlds of Magic is apparently not very good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I haven't played a ton of the beta, but yeah, I think it's the former and not the latter.

Thanks, that's a hopeful sign. I've seen people with really extreme expectations of 'old-school' design lately, and from the tone of the video I couldn't be sure the devs weren't aiming for that masochistic demographic.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I flipped through the past couple pages and couldn't see any comments on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Is it worth picking up? Is it like a more demon infested Fable basically or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I flipped through the past couple pages and couldn't see any comments on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Is it worth picking up? Is it like a more demon infested Fable basically or what?

It's long and boring and essentially a single player MMO. It has all of the associated loooong fetchy kill 'X+1' quests and terrible boring dialog that's just expository lists, without any of the other elements that make people like MMOs.

It has faster combat than a normal third person rpg, but that's the only interesting thing about that game. if you want to play something utterly bland, go on and get it.

There's a fix for the camera somewhere online. The FOV was waaaay tight originally.

• Locked thread