Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Yeah, the bike was almost completely pristine when I got it. Looks like a beater now - scuffed clearcoat, scrapes, scratches, the whole hog. Definitely not one of those "sell what you bought it for" ninjas.

At least it runs well, I guess :negative:

If the scratches are just in the clear, you can buff it out with some T-Cut and an old rag, no problem. In fact assuming it's not paint (most plastics aren't, they're just made of the appropriate colour plastic) T-Cut can take out any scratches and even quite bad rash with enough buffing, although try it somewhere inconspicuous first just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If the scratches are just in the clear, you can buff it out with some T-Cut and an old rag, no problem. In fact assuming it's not paint (most plastics aren't, they're just made of the appropriate colour plastic) T-Cut can take out any scratches and even quite bad rash with enough buffing, although try it somewhere inconspicuous first just in case.

Every rashed up plastic bike I've had has been black plastic under the paint, but I've never had a ninja 250. You're all right about what cutting and polishing does though, when my cat decided to have a vacation on my tank I thought it was irrecoverable until I took the machine buffer to it. And that's on a black bike, even. Black being the paint of satan that scratches twice as fast and cleans up half as well as every other colour.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll try the Tcut! I actually planned to take a buffer to the tank too, because my leathers dulled the clearcoat. It won't fix what I did today (deep white scratches on blue paint), but it should make everything else a little better.

I'll prob end up selling it to a goon for like a little over 1k anyway. That way I don't need to deal with CL, and all the history is in my posts here. :buddy:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I had two separate idiots in cars this weekend that I so dearly wanted to punch.

First was a guy in a Charger that did the "Stop-go-stop-go" thing pulling out, only to decide at the last second to pull out in front of me. Out of state tags, downtown and pulling onto a one-way, I'm guessing he was lost, confused, and wasn't looking very hard when he started to move. Fortunately I was paying attention, and managed to stop about 6 inches from his fender. I looked through the window to driver and passenger staring wide-eyed at me and holding their hands up.

Other one was a shithead on a cellphone that cut over into my lane about 8 inches off my front tire at 2AM leaving downtown (I had been at a concert) while on his cellphone. Fairly certain he knew I was there as I had just passed him 10 seconds prior, and he was pretty studiously avoiding looking at me when I got next to him and laid on my horn.

I hate people.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

First my town chipsealed one of my favorite roads. Now they have chipsealed the road I take to work every day. Looks like it is going to be their preferred method of fixing roads.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sumo time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

M42 posted:

Sumo time.

Wouldn't that be right about twelve o'clock

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Wouldn't that be right about twelve o'clock

There is a reason front SuMo tires tend to last twice as long as rears.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

M42 posted:

Sumo time.

I was on my VFR today, but I don't like taking my TW200 on that stuff either. It's horrible on cars too, destroys paint and tires, and little bits of oil coated gravel get in everything.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Gorson posted:

I was on my VFR today, but I don't like taking my TW200 on that stuff either. It's horrible on cars too, destroys paint and tires, and little bits of oil coated gravel get in everything.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you live somewhere in the US? I remember this being incredibly common in some of the small towns I lived in due to aggressive anti-tax policies creating some absolutely dirt poor towns. Some of the places I lived were absolutely desperate for tax money which resulted in some neglected-rear end roads. Chip and tar, in my opinion, is the second laziest form of road repair behind pouring hot tar into cracks and calling it a day.

Every time I see an Aprilia Tuono, Superduke, S1000R, Monster, etc. I get this incredible desire for a big-bore naked machine and picture myself having an absolute blast on it. Then I picture the average road I'd have to ride it on in PA, roads covered in lazy tar repairs, covered in gravel from truck tires ripping apart potholes, with fresh chip-and-tar covering the streets that don't have stoplights, and I realize there's literally no reason to own anything beyond a street legal trail tractor. :smith:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ripoff posted:

Every time I see an Aprilia Tuono, Superduke, S1000R, Monster, etc. I get this incredible desire for a big-bore naked machine and picture myself having an absolute blast on it. Then I picture the average road I'd have to ride it on in PA, roads covered in lazy tar repairs, covered in gravel from truck tires ripping apart potholes, with fresh chip-and-tar covering the streets that don't have stoplights, and I realize there's literally no reason to own anything beyond a street legal trail tractor. :smith:

You still have other non-klr options. Like a plated WR450, or maybe even a CRF250.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ripoff posted:

That's just life's way of telling you you're living on the wrong side of the country:

We gots perfect ridin' roads on this end.

Edit to add: I have in fact lain awake for hours in the bunk of a semi rolling down the road alternating between trying to count sheep and wishing death on whoever was responsible for (the lack of) freeway maintenance in Mississippi, so I know all too well what you mean by tax-strapped counties and poo poo roads.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ripoff posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that you live somewhere in the US? I remember this being incredibly common in some of the small towns I lived in due to aggressive anti-tax policies creating some absolutely dirt poor towns. Some of the places I lived were absolutely desperate for tax money which resulted in some neglected-rear end roads. Chip and tar, in my opinion, is the second laziest form of road repair behind pouring hot tar into cracks and calling it a day.

Normally they only use chipseal on rural roads. This is a medium traffic road in the middle of a town of 60k+, so it would appear they are going to be using it more often. Motorcycles licensed for road use pay registration fees and pay gas tax just like cars and should not be expected to deal with dangerous road surfaces. This town famously spends millions on extra roads so the city's "elite" doesn't have to drive an extra block to Starbucks. The plebs get chipseal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's just life's way of telling you you're living on the wrong side of the country:

Edit to add: I have in fact lain awake for hours in the bunk of a semi rolling down the road alternating between trying to count sheep and wishing death on whoever was responsible for (the lack of) freeway maintenance in Mississippi, so I know all too well what you mean by tax-strapped counties and poo poo roads.

I had two ratchet straps break the tie down points in a trailer going across Mississippi earlier this year. The loving lovely roads had everything bouncing so loving hard that they ripped straight out of the loving trailer floor.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Turns out the South (edit: East/Midwest/Every place that isn't the West Coast or Mountain West) loving blows for every conceivable reason, who would have guessed

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I mean... the Appalachians are really pretty as long as you aren't there in mid-July or something. But yeah, the cons far outweigh the pros of living in the South.

That said, I moved from Georgia to Colorado for a reason.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

I mean... the Appalachians are really pretty as long as you aren't there in mid-July or something. But yeah, the cons far outweigh the pros of living in the South.

The Appalachians are amazingly pretty. They're kind of like a flatter, poverty-stricken version of the Rockies with much more intense police patrols.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

TBF I've seen some super lovely roads on the west coast, too. You guys don't have to deal with winters for the most part, so they last like 10 years longer, but the DOT always drags their legs on replacing asphalt when it gets old. Seen some pretty gnarly surfaces - basically disintegrating and chunks coming out due to age, worn super smooth to the point where it's dangerous in rain, etc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

TBF I've seen some super lovely roads on the west coast, too. You guys don't have to deal with winters for the most part, so they last like 10 years longer, but the DOT always drags their legs on replacing asphalt when it gets old. Seen some pretty gnarly surfaces - basically disintegrating and chunks coming out due to age, worn super smooth to the point where it's dangerous in rain, etc.

There was a section of I-5 just south of the Sea-Tac area where the road was so wavy and rutted I pulled off to the shoulder to check for a flat tire, so yeah, gotta agree with that. We've still, overall, got much better roads than the south or northeast though. NE states try to keep their roads nice, but there's only so much you can do when you gotta deal with frost-heaves and poo poo.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Akion posted:

To be fair, in CO on my last trip I had to stop in the middle of a 20mph blind corner because there was a cow in the road. This happened 3 times over the course of 4 days. It's like something you'd see in Road Rash, where there's a rock or cow or oil tanker parked right around corner.

dammit cow just move already and stop looking at me like I'm the dumb one, I don't want to be judged by my food

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

The Appalachians are amazingly pretty. They're kind of like a flatter, poverty-stricken version of the Rockies with much more intense police patrols.

The lovely part about the Rockies is that all the roads that aren't directly in the mountains (or foothills) were laid out after planners discovered the straight line.

^^^ Road Rash taught me that you can catch sick loving air off a cow if it's lying down, did you ramp off it

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

I still have some of that poo poo on my wheels from a 50 mile long Montana chip seal project. That stuff is tiring to ride on after a couple hours.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

You don't need to use all them fancy words when you could have just said "Highway 101" and waited for all the Bay Area riders to nod their heads in silent agreement.

That highway was so terrible when I lived there that I would actually have to shout to hold a conversation in my car over the road noise.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Discomancer posted:

To be fair, in CO on my last trip I had to stop in the middle of a 20mph blind corner because there was a cow in the road. This happened 3 times over the course of 4 days. It's like something you'd see in Road Rash, where there's a rock or cow or oil tanker parked right around corner.

dammit cow just move already and stop looking at me like I'm the dumb one, I don't want to be judged by my food

Had that happen in Norway. A bunch of sheep at the end of a tunnel, that made my rear end in a top hat pucker a bit.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

I live in Washington state, and they've started chip sealing everything in my area too :(. So guess even on the West coast things are going downhill.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Phy posted:

^^^ Road Rash taught me that you can catch sick loving air off a cow if it's lying down, did you ramp off it

o god i didn't I'm such a noob :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Know what sucks? Going out to your bike that you parked downtown and finding a bunch of drunken idiots hovering around it and saying things like "yo you wanna ride my bike? check out my sweet bike dude" to each other. And then after shooing them away and getting on, finding the mirrors tweaked out of alignment and wondering what the hell they were doing while you were away. :mad:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Road repairs aren't quite as bad here in Merrie Olde England (for now - our politicians loving love copying the US and we're doing the MAH TAXES poo poo right now) but what we do have is lots more diesel-powered vehicles and apparently a lot more drivers who apparently don't notice that they're losing more fuel out of their tank than is actually making it to the injectors. On a wet morning the other day I followed a diesel slick that went on for two miles and that was strong enough I could tell it was from a coach (it was in the bus lanes but also went down roads buses don't go down) and I could even make a pretty good estimate of when it stopped at lights because it went from a foot wide to covering the entire lane.

Of course the very best thing about diesel slicks is that not only do they make wet roads a hundred times worse, is they're bad enough they're a gift that keeps on giving for a good quarter of a mile after you pass them because the poo poo's all over your tyres.

(Although I do love the badly-botched joints on the M40 and M25 that feel like hitting speed bumps when you're at speed and are absolutely impossible to see in time to prepare for)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was out in London Wed -> Friday and Le Filtrage was quite excellent.

Also that I've been out for almost a week in Europe and only heard one super loud bike and a few medium loud ones. Most are pretty quiet. It's nice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I was out in London Wed -> Friday and Le Filtrage was quite excellent.

Also that I've been out for almost a week in Europe and only heard one super loud bike and a few medium loud ones. Most are pretty quiet. It's nice.

Heh I was out of London Wed-Fri, I wondered why I didn't feel my normal anxiety about being in the Outer Darkness, now I know why.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Heh I was out of London Wed-Fri, I wondered why I didn't feel my normal anxiety about being in the Outer Darkness, now I know why.

It's because it's darker earlier now, so you didn't have to see scary green spaces and those odd people who still have souls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

It's because it's darker earlier now, so you didn't have to see scary green spaces and those odd people who still have souls.

I saw some chickens, there was something wrong with them though because they had feathers instead of breadcrumbs.

It's nice to be able to see the stars though, that's literally the only good thing about the welly-wearing bits of the country.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:v:

Well, next time I'm out this way I'll let you know and we can meet up for a drink or something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yesterday I found out that the guy who bought the matte black Thruxton, aka Triumph's Worst Bike, also wears a Biltwell helmet with that retarded blue fishbowl shield even when riding at night

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I saw some chickens, there was something wrong with them though because they had feathers instead of breadcrumbs.

It's nice to be able to see the stars though, that's literally the only good thing about the welly-wearing bits of the country.

One of these days I'm going to go visit the country bits of the UK England and Scotland. I get into London often enough, but it's spent either at a conference table or in some restaurant entertaining a client. I'd love to see the "welly bits".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

:v:

Well, next time I'm out this way I'll let you know and we can meet up for a drink or something.

Yeah do that. Meeting random people off the internet always ends brilliantly.

MoraleHazard posted:

One of these days I'm going to go visit the country bits of the UK England and Scotland. I get into London often enough, but it's spent either at a conference table or in some restaurant entertaining a client. I'd love to see the "welly bits".

It'll be a bit of a letdown if you're coming from somewhere with actual scenery but yeah, we have some lovely roads and pretty views. Next year I'm definitely going to try and get out to Wales or the Lake District because coming from London the ground going up and down is still a bit of a novelty for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah do that. Meeting random people off the internet always ends brilliantly.

It'll be a bit of a letdown if you're coming from somewhere with actual scenery but yeah, we have some lovely roads and pretty views. Next year I'm definitely going to try and get out to Wales or the Lake District because coming from London the ground going up and down is still a bit of a novelty for me.

It's worked out for me pretty well thus far which must mean that I'm the terrible person, what a surprise.

I always love flying into london just cause it's so picturesque. Someday I'll get my act and finances together and ride a bike around Europe.

(Also judging by ye olde yospostin' I think we also share participating in the worst/best field in IT)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One day I'm gonna take a trip to the UK and I want to rent a bike and ride up to Penrith/Cumberland/Cockermouth/Hutton-in-the-Forest/Cumbria in general since that's where most of my non-German ancestors were originally from. I expect Northern England to be just as majestic and beautiful as Scotland always looks in pictures, but I worry I may be disappointed when I actually get there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MoraleHazard posted:

Go to Scotland if you want scenery and challenging roads. I drove a rental Citroën DS4 when I was there, and I was extremely glad that it came with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, there were some real white-knuckle bits of road, let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What the gently caress is it with people and fairings? I can't count how many times over the last couple years I've had people come into the shop and look at, for example, a 1980 BMW R100RT, and say "can you remove that fairing?" Why does every dumb gently caress now think he'll make everything cooler by making it naked? Almost none of these people say that when it's a genuinely ugly or lovely fairing like a Windjammer or something, either. That R100RT for example, while not pretty like a vintage MV Agusta, is one of the best touring bikes ever made. What the gently caress do you imagine it'll look or work like when you remove the part that makes it the best? Do these people remove bumpers and hoods from all their cars just for the CLEAN VINTAGE look? loving dimwitted assholes.