Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Seltzer posted:

Seriously though, I'm curious what type of gym is it where you're big at 5'11? I'm not making the obvious TAM joke.

I used to train Muay Thai with a little Jiu Jitsu thrown in at a gym in Nashville. After one day I can say training with young guys that are trying to punch your head off that occasionally drill an armbar is infinitely different than what I did today. It was much more flaily which is why I was worried about everything. I was a larger sized guy when I was doing this because the intensity kept fat guys from joining. Mostly. The gym I was at today I was more more average sized and it was so loving different.

Day One Jiu Jitsu Trip Report -

I think my lungs exploded.
I might have a black eye.
Blood is coming out of a nail bed.
I think I'm missing the skin from a few knuckles.
I nearly got choked unconscious from a man's legs.

And my blood pressure, which has been super high from stress recently, just read 120/70. I was worried I was about to need medication for it for the first time since I quit drinking. Also, that's one of the lowest readings I've seen in my life.
Oh yeah, and I had a blast.

Pictured - Something infinitely more threatening than me at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

adorable

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Which would you rather grapple, 100 baby-sized Werdums or a Werdum-sized baby?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The 100 Werdums because the baby has the advantage of more flexible bones and will thus be more resistant to any holds. And you are fooling yourself if you think that baby has any understanding of releasing after tapouts. Plus, baby proportions at adult height!? How am I supposed to get my arms around for a choke!?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Which would you rather grapple, 100 baby-sized Werdums or a Werdum-sized baby?

Werdum-sized baby. It would invite you into side control and then you could get the tap by blowing raspberries on its belly (Frenzied flailing = tap, right?)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
A Werdum sized baby would probably break its own neck

niethan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

Captain Log posted:

I signed up for the entry week of Jiu Jitsu and muay thai making this my first time back on the matt in five years at the age of thirty. Pray for my frail old ankles, please.

If they don't have a "wear a gym shirt" requirement which I have seen plenty of gyms have before, I need this -

Im 37 now and started back up about 7 months ago. I had trained about two years gi and no gi about 8 years ago.

Its taken awhile to train my body to remember how to roll. I thought it would be like riding a bike. It wasnt. Im finally holding my own against blue belts again, but its taken a lot longer than I expected.

I competed in Naga recently and got 4th- no medal. :(

Its great to roll though. Its helped me in so many ways.

BP is normal now
I work out daily again
I have goals to compete more in the future

Its been fun getting back to it. Not going to be having extended periods of no rolling anymore.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neith posted:

Im 37 now and started back up about 7 months ago. I had trained about two years gi and no gi about 8 years ago.

Its taken awhile to train my body to remember how to roll. I thought it would be like riding a bike. It wasnt. Im finally holding my own against blue belts again, but its taken a lot longer than I expected.

I competed in Naga recently and got 4th- no medal. :(

Its great to roll though. Its helped me in so many ways.

BP is normal now
I work out daily again
I have goals to compete more in the future

Its been fun getting back to it. Not going to be having extended periods of no rolling anymore.

:respek:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
When is it alright to start visiting other BJJ gyms?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Why would it ever not be OK to visit other gyms? Is it some kind of a loyalty thing?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

General Emergency posted:

Why would it ever not be OK to visit other gyms? Is it some kind of a loyalty thing?

Brazilians

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

Brazilians

It's not just Brazilians. Fighting is a world filled with insecure people.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jake Soo posted:

When is it alright to start visiting other BJJ gyms?

Whenever you feel like it. Just don't tell your coaches or other dudes unless you're sure they're cool with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dangersim posted:

Brazilians

Friend of mine taught kids at one BJJ gym in town and wanted desperately just to go spar at an MMA gym, but she would lose her job if she did.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
I just did my two first BJJ lessons this week after a friend has been trying to convince me for months. I'm happy to say that I'm absolutely hooked and going back on monday, I plan on going 3 times per week. Our instructor is a black belt under Carlson Gracie Jr and after approx 1 hour of technique practice we rolled for about 40 minutes changing partners every 10. Safe to say I've never been as gassed out in my life.

Besides more practice, is there anything I can do during my offtime to improve my grappling cardio? And what can be done to avoid getting mat burn all over my toes / feet?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MacDeuce posted:

I just did my two first BJJ lessons this week after a friend has been trying to convince me for months. I'm happy to say that I'm absolutely hooked and going back on monday, I plan on going 3 times per week. Our instructor is a black belt under Carlson Gracie Jr and after approx 1 hour of technique practice we rolled for about 40 minutes changing partners every 10. Safe to say I've never been as gassed out in my life.

Besides more practice, is there anything I can do during my offtime to improve my grappling cardio? And what can be done to avoid getting mat burn all over my toes / feet?

1. Not really
2. You're feet will toughen up after a couple weeks and you won't really get it anymore.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm feeling a little disillusioned. I've been to 4 1 hour lessons so far but every time I've come home feeling like I've taken a beaten. I had an hour class on Fri, my right shoulder / collarbone is hosed, my knee and elbow have bruises and my feet have cuts below my big toes.

I think I may be trying too much when rolling, trying desperate to gain positions and not focus on slight improvements. the class is odd, we warm up, get shown a couple techniques then roll. for someone like me who's never done combat sports before, this leaves me a little high and dry. I guess I'll have to take it slower and not push as much. my injuries are self inflicted, I figure, with me fighting to gain positions.

I dunno, I'm rambling but I hope it gets better, hopefully I improve & stop coming home so beat up.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm feeling a little disillusioned. I've been to 4 1 hour lessons so far but every time I've come home feeling like I've taken a beaten. I had an hour class on Fri, my right shoulder / collarbone is hosed, my knee and elbow have bruises and my feet have cuts below my big toes.

I think I may be trying too much when rolling, trying desperate to gain positions and not focus on slight improvements. the class is odd, we warm up, get shown a couple techniques then roll. for someone like me who's never done combat sports before, this leaves me a little high and dry. I guess I'll have to take it slower and not push as much. my injuries are self inflicted, I figure, with me fighting to gain positions.

I dunno, I'm rambling but I hope it gets better, hopefully I improve & stop coming home so beat up.

Dangersim posted:

And don't get discouraged. For the first couple months you're going to feel like you're not improving, and that you're still just getting your rear end kicked all the time. Eventually someone new will come in, and to your surprise you'll absolutely dominate them and realize you are getting better.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Most sports are -

Start with a warm up that will kill you

Practice some technique/moves/plays/whatever

Then roll/spar/scrimmage/practice/whatever

Than maybe end with more of step one to make sure you know your cardio is worthless but improving

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

General Emergency posted:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/from-the-mat-to-the-courtroom-the-jiu-jitsu-odyssey-of-ethan-milius

quote:

I don’t think people were particularly satisfied with that technique, but at the time, nobody really knew anything else: It was either what Rorion was teaching or what Royce was teaching. Periodically, guys from Brazil would come up and train—Vitor Belfort, when he was a purple belt, would come up and train. You didn’t have a lot of exposure to anything else going on. We knew there was a group of people out there called the Machados, but didn’t know much about them. Sometimes people would leave and go train with the Machados, and there was always this thought that those guys are traitors—Royce would always say the techniques you learn there aren’t the real thing. You had this closed world where you were indoctrinated to believe that the only thing out there that was authentic and real and would work was what was being taught by Rorion and Royce and, by extension, Rickson. Other than that, the thought was that nothing else compares.

If the Helio branch of the Gracies had their way, jiujitsu would be dead static bullshit like kung fu today.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
thanks Log & Dangerism. that's reassured me. would you say that it's normal to be coming out of classes feeling beaten up, 4 sessions in?

edit: a lot of that has to do with my own clumsiness I think.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ICHIBAHN posted:

thanks Log & Dangerism. that's reassured me. would you say that it's normal to be coming out of classes feeling beaten up, 4 sessions in?

I'm 8 years in and still come out of classes feeling beaten up.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
excellent to know, legit. glad it's not just me

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

always be closing posted:

It's not ballet.

Since when did ballet training turn into something easy and pleasant that isn't neck and neck with gymnastics in the brutal child abuse stakes?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Probably about the first time you get double-legged by a sweaty behemoth who comes at you all grunting

Do you have a history of ballet or something?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yuriy posted:

Probably about the first time you get double-legged by a sweaty behemoth who comes at you all grunting

Thankfully I've never been even close to a ballet class, since I'm a sensitive person who don't enjoy being called fat and stupid by some old female Eastern European Yoda. The fact that high level ballet training is pretty brutal is pretty common knowledge, I'd say. That's why I found it a bit amusing why that would be used as an example of something presumably less demanding than pyjama hugging.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

The fact that high level ballet training is pretty brutal is pretty common knowledge, I'd say.

I think you're overestimating the degree to which your average poster gives a gently caress about ballet by several orders of magnitude.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ICHIBAHN posted:

As a fellow clumsy dolt who just started grappling I feel your pain. Grappling seem to be a bit front loaded with bruises compared to something like boxing. Not knowing how to take a fall, how to sprawl, how to do poo poo like cartwheels and stuff and most of the people you roll with also not knowing how to not hurt you is... Risky. "Learn fast" is the best advice I've gotten.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah absolutely. I've no intention of quitting, just wondered if there's anything I could do to stop myself hurting myself. it'll come tho. need to relax more.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

yeah absolutely. I've no intention of quitting, just wondered if there's anything I could do to stop myself hurting myself. it'll come tho. need to relax more.

My advice to new guys for their first month or two is don't even worry about winning and losing positions. The main things to focus on are slowing down and breathing. Just breathe and observe what's happening and keep your mind working. Everything going on around you in a roll will start to slow down and you'll be able to start understanding where openings are.

Crossposting this from the A/T thread. I won the match but the ref raised the other guy's hand. I call it waitwhat.gif

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bjj.gif

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Yuriy posted:

lmao why are you so offended, did a ballet dancer steal your lunch money or something

Opal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 14, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
One big adjustments going from Muay Thai/MMA training five years ago to Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai now is how the Jiu Jitsu guys warm up by doing all sorts of rolls over their head. I almost burst out laughing when my jaw nearly hit the floor, it came my turn, and the helpful guy next to me said, "It's no prob man, just swing your legs as far up as you can once your over your head."

He was totally right but did not yet know how retarded I am when trying to be agile.

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

I was the same at first too. Itll get easier and easier.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Ballet kids would make fun of my hockey pads and once shoved me into a puddle. And that was just the girls.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Fat Twitter Man posted:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/from-the-mat-to-the-courtroom-the-jiu-jitsu-odyssey-of-ethan-milius

If the Helio branch of the Gracies had their way, jiujitsu would be dead static bullshit like kung fu today.

Carlos (Machado) is extremely nice and never says a bad word about anyone, but if you mention Royce or Rorion he scowls and usually excuses himself from the conversation very quickly. I'm obviously biased but I sometimes get frustrated that the Machados aren't better known outside the bjj niche. They are quietly behind so many bjj improvements and great jiu-jitsueiros. Renzo deserves more credit too but hes got that Gracie name so its a little better.

EDIT: Ballet is hard as poo poo and they're all really high level athletes that destroy their bodies by 27. If bjj was ballet I couldn't take it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Xguard86 posted:

Carlos (Machado) is extremely nice and never says a bad word about anyone, but if you mention Royce or Rorion he scowls and usually excuses himself from the conversation very quickly. I'm obviously biased but I sometimes get frustrated that the Machados aren't better known outside the bjj niche. They are quietly behind so many bjj improvements and great jiu-jitsueiros. Renzo deserves more credit too but hes got that Gracie name so its a little better.

EDIT: Ballet is hard as poo poo and they're all really high level athletes that destroy their bodies by 27. If bjj was ballet I couldn't take it.

Hey there friend! Remember eight years ago when we said one of us was going to have to train up enough to beat the hell out of Matt Hughes?

:looks at white belt:

How's that goin?

(I want that man beaten with a switch. I want him Peterson'd)

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
I honestly don't know what to make of the Gracie family. I haven't even looked into much of the family beyond what I've heard casually or is pretty common knowledge (ie: Rener and Ryron's internet belt thing, Carley Gracie's lawsuit over the name 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu', etc) but is there a writeup or a book about the Gracies and all their weirdness out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
an all fruit and coconut water diet will make you invincible and improve your sexual stamina.