Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

crown crown? there's not another world after this, is there?? :stare:

... Ughhhhhhhhhh

The levels are fast and easy to get through when you aren't worried about getting the green stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

greatn posted:

The levels are fast and easy to get through when you aren't worried about getting the green stars.
Well, not the ones in world crown, they aren't.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If you're in world crown then you probably aren't concerned with trying to speed through the levels to unlock world crown!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you were having that much trouble with the boss rush it might be better to pretend world crown doesn't exist

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Picked up a refurbished console from Nintendo. Can't say enough good things, works incredible, looks mint. Having a great time with Mario Kart 8, Earthbound and Super Mario 3D World so far. Happy to be back with Nintendo. Feels like a much more thought out and fun system than any experience I had with the Wii.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I picked up Teslagrad, it's really quite fun. I like the mechanics a lot, and the art style is really nice too. I was looking forward to it releasing since Nintendo put out the eShop direct just before E3. I know it's on Steam, but I felt it would be something which would benefit from being played on a console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Three complaints about Tesla grad. Number one: the menu interface is really poor and slow. Number 2: the loading times are pretty bad you can come to a door and the game will freeze for a couple of seconds. Number 3: if you play on the gamepad gamepad icon is in the upper left corner of the screen the entire time and it is really a huge eyesore.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So what's the goon consensus on The Fall? Worth checking out for $10?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Fall is an old school point and click game with some shooting sections and a really cool atmosphere. Apparently it's also just the first part of a larger narrative. It is also a little buggy (the first time I loaded it, the dialogue would keep zooming by and skip) but the dev posted in the Miiverse community and they're working on patching it. If you like point and click adventure games and creepy atmosphere, you'll enjoy it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Austrian mook posted:

There's DLC coming out as well, which feature 12 new tracks each, along with a playable Link.

Thought it was 8 tracks each, 16 tracks total

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So what's the goon consensus on The Fall? Worth checking out for $10?

I posted a longer recommendation of it earlier, let me go dig it up.

e:

FPzero posted:

It's a fairly atmospheric puzzle/adventure about an AI onboard a combat suit trying to save its human pilot after crash-landing on an unknown planet and discovering some sort of seemingly decommissioned facility under the planet's surface. It's an interesting take on what happens when an AI's laws and rules conflict with each other, as the AI discovers that to save her pilot, which is a law of its own, she might need to bend the other hardcoded rules and laws of being an AI. I was pretty into the story and enjoyed watching it develop. The environments, while dark due to little power in the base, are interesting, Fallout-y sort of places. You can find logbook entries that either give hints or backstory and by scanning the environment you can piece together a little more of what happened in the facility than the game explicitly tells you. There isn't any music other than environmental sounds which was fine by me.

That said, it's a puzzle/adventure game and the puzzles do get fairly obtuse at times. I only had to look up help once for a solution that I'd never thought of doing but I did try brute-forcing a lot of the puzzles by just doing Open Inventory -> Try Item. Everything you find has a purpose, you just need to find the singular purpose that item serves. There's a little gunplay with some minor cover-shooting that's not too tough but might be a little finicky. Additionally, it's very much worth mentioning that the game is only Part 1 of a series. You're getting a finished product that wraps up fairly well but there's more to the story that will only come in the next installment(s). It's about 2-3 hours long depending on how stuck you get on the puzzles.

I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to the next part. I don't know what it's selling for on the eShop since I bought it for $5 on a Steam Daily Deal but I'll probably pay the full $10 for the next part. Play in a dark room for best atmospherics.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Astro7x posted:

Thought it was 8 tracks each, 16 tracks total

16 tracks, six new racers, eight new cars.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

There's DLC coming out as well, which feature 12 new tracks each, along with a playable Link.

So, wait, the current link DLC is just the characters, but not actually playable Link? Or...what? I thought there already was a Link DLC, and there's an Animal Crossing one too.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

So, wait, the current link DLC is just the characters, but not actually playable Link? Or...what? I thought there already was a Link DLC, and there's an Animal Crossing one too.
Yes. They aren't out yet though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

There's a Link and some others DLC along with a later-to-be-released Animal Crossing and some others DLC. If you preorder them now, you get different colored Yoshis and Shy Guys.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Preorder the DLC to get different color Yoshis and Shy Guys. Each DLC will come with three new characters. Link's DLC comes out in November (I think) and Isabelle's will be out in May (I think).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

Mega Man X is one of the few perfect video games ever made. It never gets old. I've been playing it since it was released on the SNES and every time I play it I have a blast. Play it!

Glad you posted this. I never played it and picked it up based on this post, and god drat is it awesome. Sat down and played for 3.5 hours straight, which is something that I don't normally do.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kaubocks posted:

Preorder the DLC to get different color Yoshis and Shy Guys. Each DLC will come with three new characters. Link's DLC comes out in November (I think) and Isabelle's will be out in May (I think).

November for the Zelda DLC, May for the Animal Crossing DLC.

I'm really excited, but personally I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for future Kirby DLC! :dance:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

JordanKai posted:

November for the Zelda DLC, May for the Animal Crossing DLC.

I'm really excited, but personally I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for future Kirby DLC! :dance:

Oh huh. I didn't even realize those were DLC pre-orders. So, each DLC has new tracks AND racers? Weren't they like 8bux? That seems like a really good deal.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh huh. I didn't even realize those were DLC pre-orders. So, each DLC has new tracks AND racers? Weren't they like 8bux? That seems like a really good deal.

12 for both too iirc.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

From the horse's mouth: http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh poo poo Dry Bowser DLC holy poo poo

drat it Nintendo why do you want all my money

all of it I'll give it to you

EDIT: that's a motherfucking F-Zero track I see

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Moriatti posted:

12 for both too iirc.

Its like Nintendo confused a 90's style expansion pack with 2010ish DLC.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sure they'll catch up and start selling coins and star bits for real money in Mario Galaxy 3

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Oh poo poo Dry Bowser DLC holy poo poo

drat it Nintendo why do you want all my money

all of it I'll give it to you

EDIT: that's a motherfucking F-Zero track I see

Yeah, Dry Bowser and the Excite Bike track pretty much guaranteed that I would be buying both DLC packs. Luckily I had $15 in eShop credit from DDP and some credit that Nintendo gave me for taking forever to ship my Wiimotes.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I am moving on the 30th, so I'd like to wait till October to buy my refurb Wii U, that's not a limited supply item is it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

always be closing posted:

I am moving on the 30th, so I'd like to wait till October to buy my refurb Wii U, that's not a limited supply item is it?

They do tend to run out of refurbs from time to time, but the sale has been going on for quite a while now, so it's probably not going anywhere. As long as you don't wait until November (Smash is rumored to release on 11/21) you shouldn't have a problem.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
In shovel knight, is there any way to attack above you? I'm on the final level and there's an auto scrolling area but there's breakable blocks above me and I can't figure out any way to continue.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I have a fairly specific question: I have a three year old, and I'm pretty tired of in app purchases and ads and the like. What's the usability of the wii u for kids, especially little ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Velius posted:

I have a fairly specific question: I have a three year old, and I'm pretty tired of in app purchases and ads and the like. What's the usability of the wii u for kids, especially little ones?

It's quite good. I play it with my little cousins frequently and there are no games which are really feature-incomplete.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

In shovel knight, is there any way to attack above you? I'm on the final level and there's an auto scrolling area but there's breakable blocks above me and I can't figure out any way to continue.

There's a subweapon from the underwater level that allows you to attack upwards.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a subweapon from the underwater level that allows you to attack upwards.

I must have missed this one, I just used the fists to make it through.

Now I'm stuck on the enchantress. I'm playing with the D-pad so I keep accidentally breaking my platforms without wanting to.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fremry posted:

Glad you posted this. I never played it and picked it up based on this post, and god drat is it awesome. Sat down and played for 3.5 hours straight, which is something that I don't normally do.

I'm glad you like it! MMX is simply incredible. It's perfect a perfect video game (I ignore all the idiots who bitch about having to repeat one level).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I found New Play Control Pikmin 2 for $30 at a local used game shop. I'm guessing this was a good deal considering I couldn't find it anywhere until now?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Astro7x posted:

I found New Play Control Pikmin 2 for $30 at a local used game shop. I'm guessing this was a good deal considering I couldn't find it anywhere until now?

Seems like most eBay prices for a used copy of the game are at the $40 range, so I guess that's fine. I got lucky and found a copy at a local GameStop for $25 that may have been actually new, but whatever. The price for that game went up quite a bit after most major retailers stopped carrying it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat Shovel Knight, what is this Trouple guy? He was in the credits but I never saw him in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Austrian mook posted:

I beat Shovel Knight, what is this Trouple guy? He was in the credits but I never saw him in the game.

The... the Trouple King? You missed the Trouple King? :psyduck: How is that even possible

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Macaluso posted:

The... the Trouple King? You missed the Trouple King? :psyduck: How is that even possible

He probably means the Trouple dude that's in the basement.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

who is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

RadicalR posted:

He probably means the Trouple dude that's in the basement.

Considering that's where you get the chalices in the first place, yes, he probably also missed the Trouple King.

Go back right now and get the chalices in the basement from the first village, then go to that place on the map directly across Pridemoore Keep.

• Locked thread