Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Earlier today I watched Vincent Price's "Witchfinder General" and absolutely loved the whole rural English horror atmosphere, really reminded me of "The Wicker Man". Can anyone recomend any similar movies with that sort of setting?

Any Hammer movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
You probably won't get anywhere understanding racism if you don't understand that Lincoln and Johnson, for example, were racist in ways which make all but the worst tea partier look like MLK Jr. That didn't stop them from fighting (in the former case literally) for racial equality.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 14, 2014

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Hodgepodge posted:

It was in going over the letters and pictures on the Orne side that I began to acquire a kind of terror of my own ancestry. As I have said, my grandmother and uncle Douglas had always disturbed me. Now, years after their passing, I gazed at their pictured faces with a measurably heightened feeling of repulsion and alienation. I could not at first understand the change, but gradually a horrible sort of comparison began to obtrude itself on my unconscious mind despite the steady refusal of my consciousness to admit even the least suspicion of it. It was clear that the typical expression of these faces now suggested something it had not suggested before—something which would bring stark panic if too openly thought of.

So how do you feel about Faulkner's character Joe Christmas and Charles Bon?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't think The Shadow over Innsmouth is a racist story in a vacuum, but Lovecraft was undeniably a massive racist and that kinda casts a nasty light on the story.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up Wer, eh, I liked it and felt it had a strong start but it really fell apart at the end by becoming an action film. That poo poo sucked.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Sad Mammal posted:

So how do you feel about Faulkner's character Joe Christmas and Charles Bon?

Never read Faulkner, but I'd be interested to hear your point.

If it's just that a character is not the author, though, that doesn't hold up well when the character is struggling with a fictionalized version of the author's own issues.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Hodgepodge posted:

Never read Faulkner, but I'd be interested to hear your point.

If it's just that a character is not the author, though, that doesn't hold up well when the character is struggling with a fictionalized version of the author's own issues.

Both characters are deeply ashamed of, and are made social pariahs for, their black heritage. Light in August and Absalom, Absalom take a fear of miscegenation and run with it in very similar directions as a Lovecraft story; both Joe Christmas and the Sutpen family's downfall stems directly from their black ancestry. Both stories are not typically regarded as racist, as Lovecraft's stories are. I find it strange that it seems to be Faulkner's shame (or perceived shame) in his Southern roots keeps him separated from Lovecraft despite the fact the two's stories carry highly similar themes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
From your description, it sounds as if Faulkner portrays having black ancestry as not inherently bad, but as bad due to oppressive social structures.

If so, that's a rather large contrast to Lovecraft's literally subhuman fishpeople. The difference would be that Lovecraft ratifies and even magnifies the racism inherent in fear of miscegination.

Again, his themes mirror Howard's depiction of civilization as doomed to succumb to its own decadence and subsequently fall to barbaric outsiders- racial purity, like Howard's civilization, is doomed not due to its undesirability, but because the nature of both human weakness and the cosmic order are hostile to its sustainability.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, it's not simply that Lovecraft is overtly racist, it's that his writings are identifiably contemporaneous with reactionary nativist theories that Western civilization was literally on the brink of being destroyed by miscegenation with non-white Europeans / rape by brutal Black bucks.

"The Rats in the Walls" is a particularly good example that demonstrates this, because it rings as especially relevant to any non-theist who has heard the fallacious argument that morality extends from the fear of divine reprisal. The racist protagonist discovers that he's descended from 'monkey people' and on-the-spot gives into cannibalistic urges that he didn't even know he had.

That's not accurate. It isn't just Delapore who is driven mad; all his companions go mad too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I'm taking my students camping. That means I will be in the middle of a cabin with twelve children and staying up to about 2 AM to make absolute sure none of them do anything really stupid. So, my question is what horror movie should I have loaded on my iPad?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Just finished up Wer, eh, I liked it and felt it had a strong start but it really fell apart at the end by becoming an action film. That poo poo sucked.

You were warned.

what did you think of the hospital scene?

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Hodgepodge posted:

The Borderlands, perhaps?

The Irreversible discussion over the last ten or so pages is some of the better posting I've seen on the forums. I can't help but wonder if some of harpomarxist's discomfort with the scene in The Rectum doesn't come from identifying gay culture so strongly with patriarchal/misogynistic violence. There are plenty of legitimate points to be made there (I usually think of Alan Moore's From Hell in much the same vein), but it seems like difficult ground to tread for an artist in ethical terms.

I dunno, I really don't think Lovecraft's cosmic horror makes sense outside of the lens of his coming to terms with the irrationality his own racism. The comforting cosmology that his work challenges is one in which white, Anglo-Saxon culture is the objectively superior evolutionary step along a teleological path to (white) humanity's destined mastery of a wholly rational universe.

This basically has to be read alongside Robert E. Howard's (a personal friend of Lovercraft's) work, in which the superiority of barbarism to civilization is a major theme.

In the case of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, the discovery by the white anglo protagonist that his identity is compromised by the inescapable fact that racial purity is a lie isn't even subtext.

Thank you, glad you've enjoyed it. My problem with The Rectum scenes. Which, to describe for those who haven't seen the film are: a random patron of the gay s&m club getting his face smashed in whilst anonymous club patrons masturbate watching, the verbal suggestion that the main character is going to be anally raped after he is beaten up, the camera spinning wildly to signify a recognition of the hysteria/fear/hideousness of the scene, the soundtrack being an audio drone designed to make people feel fear - no joke, it is designed to make people leave the cinema.

First of all, I don't think gay culture is being represented in it's entirety in Irreversible, at most Noe is talking about the 'seedy' aspect (which, as has been mentioned here, and by Wood, is far from accurate). Second I explicitly want to say that a reading like Noe's, that wants to condemn misogyny/patriarchy but does so by having the rapist be gay/bi, setting the most violent scenes in a gay nightclub and then having the camera as completely participatory in the beating of this guy (whereas later it is static and disconnected in regards to the second act of brutality) is creating a rather sick caricature, no? Why not set it in a straight swingers club?

Lovecraft is interesting because imagine how more powerful the sense of horror, the fear of this unknown unworldly dread would be without his leaden miscegenation points, in this case the expression of horror is actually let down by the overt racism. Again, the voice being used isn't just the characters but the voice of the author itself so we can't deny (unless we've not read critical theory since the 70's or dropped it at at Barthes) that there is still an authorial voice here directing things.

Also Sad Mammal, as much as I can appreciate the fear of art being labelled and condemned, it is still a product of society and therefore this is going to happen anyway. You wanting to disconnect 'art' from politics is a political stance itself. You think Irreversible doesn't contain homophobic elements. I do. I also think that it's an interesting film that needs deeper analysis, I think Wood thinks this too - hence his detailed article. Notice that both Wood and myself point out elements of the film that are homophobic, not some blanket condemnation. There is very much an aspect of art that is ambiguous and denies a direct reading, but in this case I think it's been carried out naively and with zero understanding of the scene its attempting to depict.

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 14, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I'm taking my students camping. That means I will be in the middle of a cabin with twelve children and staying up to about 2 AM to make absolute sure none of them do anything really stupid. So, my question is what horror movie should I have loaded on my iPad?

The (motherfucking) Thing, of course. Carpenter version. Or original Evil Dead.

How old are the kids?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Well, identifying the camera with the assailant makes sense in that we're supposed to be in his head. That extends somewhat to how the club itself is portrayed. I'm a little leery of the fact that he's threatened with anal rape- obviously it's a continuation of his own perception of the club through the lens of straight patriachical anxiety and part of his ironic failure to embody its ideals, but it also dehumanizes his victim unnecessarily.

Also, if we take the idea that we're in his head in that scene and that he's being swallowed by patriachical violence seriously, then of course the scene would be homophobic- we're seeing what goes on in the head of a homophobe committing a hate crime. The solution, then, would be to show the club through a sane lens "later," ie before the rape. That would emphasize that the club itself has been transformed by systematic violence. Also, while humanizing La Tenia is probably unfilmable (and as an avatar of violence he is as poor a choice for humanization as would be The Judge from Blood Meridian), the actual murder victim is a different character and should really not be objectified or dehumanized outside of the perspective of Marcus and Peirre.

Then again, I haven't seen the film. I guess now I should; rape-revenge isn't normally my thing even when it's subverted.

E: substituting "black" for "gay" and modifying the dehumanizing tropes appropriately as a thought experiment kind of makes me think the scene is just homophobic. If you showed Marcus and Pierre lynching a black man for the rape without even bothering to make sure they had the right man, you would want to carefully demarcate the unreliability of the characters' perception of the black people around him as bestial and savage.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 14, 2014

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Horrific music chat was ages ago, but a piece of music that will always be close to my heart in a bad way is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

Made doubly bad, because the first time I heard it was in a music class in highschool, in which we were instructed to follow along with the sheet music. I can't find any complete examples, but the impression is:

They're instructions for the 52 four-stringed instruments, and they don't mean anything in musical notation. But you can hear them.

edit: And because it's 2014 and of course they have, someone's animated a score on Youtube :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 14, 2014

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, identifying the camera with the assailant makes sense in that we're supposed to be in his head. That extends somewhat to how the club itself is portrayed. I'm a little leery of the fact that he's threatened with anal rape- obviously it's a continuation of his own perception of the club through the lens of straight patriachical anxiety and part of his ironic failure to embody its ideals, but it also dehumanizes his victim unnecessarily.

Also, if we take the idea that we're in his head in that scene and that he's being swallowed by patriachical violence seriously, then of course the scene would be homophobic- we're seeing what goes on in the head of a homophobe committing a hate crime. The solution, then, would be to show the club through a sane lens "later," ie before the rape. That would emphasize that the club itself has been transformed by systematic violence. Also, while humanizing La Tenia is probably unfilmable (and as an avatar of violence he is as poor a choice for humanization as would be The Judge from Blood Meridian), the actual murder victim is a different character and should really not be objectified or dehumanized outside of the perspective of Marcus and Peirre.

Then again, I haven't seen the film. I guess now I should; rape-revenge isn't normally my thing even when it's subverted.

E: substituting "black" for "gay" and modifying the dehumanizing tropes appropriately as a thought experiment kind of makes me think the scene is just homophobic. If you showed Marcus and Pierre lynching a black man for the rape without even bothering to make sure they had the right man, you would want to carefully demarcate the unreliability of the characters' perception of the black people around him as bestial and savage.

Sure sure, and i'm not questioning the intent of 'getting in the headspace', just that Noe doesn't then continue this for a later scene of a woman being raped, instead he deliberately makes his camera static, he places it at her eye level, it's about her pain and its as disconnected as it could be. If he's capable of reflecting this in his movie, why doesn't he do this in the gay nightclub scenes?

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 14, 2014

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
In the opening chapters of the movie everything is pretty vulgar and ugly, not just the scenes in the Rectum or its patrons. As far as the headspace of Marcus, I think what we see in the Rectum is exaggerated/altered by his rage. It would also make sense as to why the opening act of brutality is filmed the way it is, its personal and its caught in the chaos of rage.

What do you guys thing of the relationship between Marcus and Pierre? I think its interesting that Marcus had pretty much been goading and emasculating Pierre the whole night prior to the scene in the Rectum, where eventually his taunts and commands result in Pierre commiting a heavily phallic-imagery laced murder. I'm really interested in how you guys view these characters cause you're all very good at this analysis stuff.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If Irreversible is a film that, for the most part, takes place within the head of someone who desires revenge, then I think it's best to see Pierre and Marcus as two unique aspects of the same psyche who, once enveloped in the Rectum, become one force that is both abject and brutal. The exchanging of roles is significant, because it actually turns out to be Marcus who becomes the 'damsel/pussy in distress,' and the intellectual Pierre takes on this savage, sadistic, and even kind of sociopathic identity that Noe deliberately establishes no future precedence for. Pierre is the arm-chair intellectual, and this carries over into the later half of the film when the phallic rage has subsided and we move into Alex being the protagonist and the subject becoming not the abjection of men but the veneration of the woman. Pierre passively pontificates about sensuality and intimacy, but what he actually represents is the opposite problem of Marcus, who sees sexuality as fundamentally power-driven. Pierre doesn't own up to the fact that power is a part of sexuality, and, thus, his actions at the film's beginning can be read as the explosion of repressed, misogynistic/homophobic aggression. His ineffectual subservience is just as limiting and unappealing to Alex as Marcus's unapologetic vulgarity becomes.

It should be emphasized further that this concept of Pierre and Marcus representing the duality of patriarchy - that which tears the feminine identity between two contradictory but equally limiting viewpoints - is presaged by the opening of the film, which takes place in an apartment above the Rectum between the Butcher and an unnamed male partner. This apartment, above and looking back upon the Rectum is a vivid 'head space,' and the dark irony of this is that while these men are consumed with the memory of a incestuous rape that they have distorted as a consensual act persecuted by society's 'repression,' they are literally not cognizant that there is an 'anal rape' taking place behind and below them. This is sexuality totally divorced from any kind of intellectual or intimate consciousness, but at the same time it's overtly created by the Butcher's fantasy of an intimate relationship, his need to paint his rape victim as complicit in the act. The film is all about Pierre exchanging roles with Marcus, and it begins with the 'head space' above the Rectum.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, John Carpenter's The Fog starts out with a campfire tale...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

harpomarxist posted:

Lovecraft is interesting because imagine how more powerful the sense of horror, the fear of this unknown unworldly dread would be without his leaden miscegenation points, in this case the expression of horror is actually let down by the overt racism. Again, the voice being used isn't just the characters but the voice of the author itself so we can't deny (unless we've not read critical theory since the 70's or dropped it at at Barthes) that there is still an authorial voice here directing things.

John Carpenter is basically Lovecraft without the racism and with actual talent in his chosen medium. All of his films that I've seen are equally obsessed with a perspective portrayed as both desirable and vulnerable, with protagonists who make a brave stand against chaos but can never be sure they don't contain the seed of it themselves; the difference being that movies have more to do with rationality and masculinity than race.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

John Carpenter is basically Lovecraft without the racism and with actual talent in his chosen medium.

meow. How do you explain Carpenter being a big fan of Lovecraft's stuff?

harpomarxist posted:

Again, the voice being used isn't just the characters but the voice of the author itself so we can't deny (unless we've not read critical theory since the 70's or dropped it at at Barthes) that there is still an authorial voice here directing things.

Theory's actually been moving AWAY from authorial intention since Barthes. Derrida and Fish question if even READER intention exists, for example.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 14, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sad Mammal posted:

By watching Prince of Darkness and ITMOM, for a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Hvp7Uw3UE

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sad Mammal posted:

How do you explain Carpenter being a big fan of Lovecraft's stuff?

In the audio commentary for Cannibal Holocaust Ruggero Deodato describes Mondo Cane as "a beautiful film" and says the opening credits were directly inspired by those films. His movie is about a group of documentary filmmakers who burn indigenous villages, desecrate their rituals, and rape their women.

You can be heavily inspired by and even explicitly admire an artist while notably improving upon/satirizing what they did.

Carpenter, not unlike Tarantino after him, is heavily influenced by filmmakers whose works he nonetheless explicitly subverts. Like, Assault on Precinct 13 is a remake of Rio Bravo, but the opening of the film is meant to get you to sympathize with the 'Indian' marauders as victims of white supremacy and are taking sympathetic revenge. (The storyboards and original script are even more explicit about this.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sad Mammal posted:

I don't really follow. I'm saying Carpenter is a talented guy who's surpassed his inspirations; that sentence only makes sense if Lovecraft is one of his inspirations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

Willow Creek.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really follow. I'm saying Carpenter is a talented guy who's surpassed his inspirations; that sentence only makes sense if Lovecraft is one of his inspirations.

If Carpenter, a guy you cite as being very talented, likes Lovecraft, and quite a few other artists (like Del Toro for one) cite Lovecraft as an inspiration, then I think it's probably safer to go with "Lovecraft isn't my cup of tea" as opposed to "Lovecraft has no talent".

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 14, 2014

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

K. Waste posted:

You can be heavily inspired by and even explicitly admire an artist while notably improving upon/satirizing what they did.

Going in a different direction with given subject matter is only an improvement if you think art should promote "good" moral values.

Since I'm starting to feel like I'm becoming just a talking head on art-politik, in horror movie-related bits I finally watched Angst. This was my takeaway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rWK63VM9LE

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 14, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sad Mammal posted:

If Carpenter, a guy you cite as being very talented, likes Lovecraft, and quite a few other artists (like Del Toro for one) cite Lovecraft as an inspiration, then I think it's probably safer to go with "Lovecraft isn't my cup of tea" as opposed to "Lovecraft has no talent".

There's no value to softballing everything. It comes up constantly on this forum but do we really need to append 'in my opinion' to every negative comment?

Your argument is also totally fallacious - there is no reason that talent should necessarily correspond to good taste.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

DeimosRising posted:

There's no value to softballing everything. It comes up constantly on this forum but do we really need to append 'in my opinion' to every negative comment?

Your argument is also totally fallacious - there is no reason that talent should necessarily correspond to good taste.

I never said it was, my "meow" comment refers to the catty method in which the opinion was stated.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sad Mammal posted:

Going in a different direction with given subject matter is only an improvement if you think art should promote "good" moral values.

Not really. You don't need to actively promote a certain viewpoint in order to take an ethical stance, or for that ethical stance to be reflected in a work. Carpenter's sympathizing with the monstrous is definitely an improvement on Lovecraft's racist cynicism.

Don't get me wrong, Lovecraft - as much as his works explicitly reflected a grotesque fear and hatred of the lower-class and 'unrefined' - was an important populist artist, and the explicit racism of his works ironically probably helped a lot of readers to work through their own similar ambivalence about changing social and cultural norms. Hell, his works still have that power. I wouldn't dismiss him any sooner than I would dismiss D. W. Griffith (who actually did make at least one surprisingly anti-racist film, Broken Blossoms), or even Mark Twain and Tex Avery.

But if we're going to comment on the influences that del Toro and Carpenter and the like draw from Lovecraft, eventually we have to address the issue that Lovecraft's literature almost always operated from the standpoint that the dissolution of white Western supremacy was tantamount to the dissolution of all order, and that this is not only stripped away by Carpenter and del Toro, but not incidentally, both of these filmmakers seems to find hope in the dissolution of established order.

None of these artists are actually promoting moral values, but one of them writes a frequently long, verbose (and not particularly cogently detailed), and turgid oeuvre that obsessively veers into the same cynical subject even when it's not narratively relevant; while the others challenge the spectator to view this same subject in ways that aren't immediately obvious and might even be counter to expectation. I don't see the goal of art to promote "good" moral values; I see it as to reveal unknown truths, and I just happen to think that Carpenter is better at this than a lot of the artists who inspired him.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

Theory's actually been moving AWAY from authorial intention since Barthes. Derrida and Fish question if even READER intention exists, for example.

Son, I got my decades wrong - choosing the heyday rather than it's dismissal (the 90's). But it can't really be denied that postmodern fiction reinvigorated the idea of 'the author' - whether that's precise or not

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

K. Waste posted:

I don't see the goal of art to promote "good" moral values; I see it as to reveal unknown truths, and I just happen to think that Carpenter is better at this than a lot of the artists who inspired him.

K, that's a fair statement to make, but

K. Waste posted:

Carpenter's sympathizing with the monstrous is definitely an improvement on Lovecraft's racist cynicism.

is still baffling to me. How does sympathizing with the monstrous reveal more truth than reviling the monstrous?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

schwenz posted:

You were warned.

what did you think of the hospital scene?

I thought it was well done, they did a good job making him look strong as poo poo and just being able to crush people's frames with ease. From there though it was all downhill. :(

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

harpomarxist posted:

Son, I got my decades wrong - choosing the heyday rather than it's dismissal (the 90's). But it can't really be denied that postmodern fiction reinvigorated the idea of 'the author' - whether that's precise or not

I've never read too spirited a rebuttal against Barthes saying "the author can INTEND all he likes, but that means gently caress-all to a reader's experience". My perspective of art during my road to my degree was that meaning slid from something inherent to something applied. I'd argue that PoMo stuff dug into a lot of bag of tricks to try to gently caress with the audience, with varying degrees of sincerity. Authorial intention was one of them. American Psycho, for example, plants you firmly in the shoes of a racist, misogynist serial killer but no one feels obligated to like Patrick Batemen just because Bret Easton Ellis seemingly has his head on straight. So I don't understand why Lovecraft's stories are somehow "understood" to be racist because the protagonist reflects the point of view of a racist dickbag. I enjoy quite a few Lovecraft stories and I feel sweeping these stories under a "racist literature" rug is a disservice to me and everyone else who's gotten enjoyment or purpose out them.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

Son, I got my decades wrong - choosing the heyday rather than it's dismissal (the 90's). But it can't really be denied that postmodern fiction reinvigorated the idea of 'the author' even vis a vis Derrida and his imprint on literature. Postmodernism in fiction is authorial intention returning front and centre, no? BS Johnson, Safran Foer, Calvino, Eco - they're authorial voices that hold sway over the stories they tell.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

harpomarxist posted:

Son, I got my decades wrong - choosing the heyday rather than it's dismissal (the 90's). But it can't really be denied that postmodern fiction reinvigorated the idea of 'the author' even vis a vis Derrida and his imprint on literature. Postmodernism in fiction is authorial intention returning front and centre, no? BS Johnson, Safran Foer, Calvino, Eco - they're authorial voices that hold sway over the stories they tell.

How are you defining "sway"? I can find a story much easier to relate to if the author's a nice person, but that doesn't necessarily mean a story has to have my sympathy or even my respect to interest me.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

How are you defining "sway"? I can find a story much easier to relate to if the author's a nice person, but that doesn't necessarily mean a story has to have my sympathy or even my respect to interest me.

Read them please. its about an author injecting themselves into the story. Which yes, can still be rejected as a tactic but it would be to ignore a very prominent trend

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
But I'm still not grasping what you mean by "sway". Are you trying to argue an influence that art has on the audience?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
The self-referential aspects of post-modernism are an admission that the author is part of the text, but that the text exceeds them. Inserting oneself explicitly into the text makes explicit that the position of author is no more privileged than any other element of the text- to take the most obvious example, by being a character in a story one has written, an author highlights that he or she has no more interpretive authority than any other character.

That is diametrically opposed to the idea of the author which Barthes "killed," which derived its power from the claim that the author occupies a position outside of the text from which it is possible to objectively and absolutely determine its meaning.

e: In this sense, it is correct to say that Lovecraft being a racist cannot make his work racist. However, it is possible to establish that his work contains themes that reflect both his preoccupation with race and the racist ideology through which he understood the concept. A work whose major themes include race from a racist perspective can usefully be called racist. To do otherwise is an untenable position, because doing so would require a claim an interpretive position which is naive to both our own understanding of racism as part of our own life and/or political experience, and our knowledge of the historical position of the text.

Likewise, with regards to the debate over Irreversible, it is possible to conclude that the film is homophobic without concluding that Noe is homophobic. Certainly the scene at the beginning seems to be indisputably homophobic, because it is arranged to reflect the internal experience of someone who is violently homophobic. But that no more makes the film homophobic than having a homophobic character does. The question is whether the film as a whole ratifies, intensifies; or conversely, challenges or complicates that homophobic perspective.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not like anyone's saying the work doesn't have merit because it's racist.