Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well what does she need them for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
A birthday party! Jesus, I've been saying it all along.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The box is a cooler filled with Mountain Dew.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The evidence for that is pretty damning at the moment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All you people saying she's going through all these stupid hoops just to kill some mooks should be supervillians. And never, ever be writers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

All you people saying she's going through all these stupid hoops just to kill some mooks should be supervillians. And never, ever be writers.

I'm gonna quote that if she ends up killing them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Please do. If I am proven wrong, and her killing them ends up happening, AND well-executed, I will eat all the crow I deserve.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. It's just far too much of a detour and pacing slowdown just to accomplish "yes, Moonshadow is evil".

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Did anyone else read the alt-text as a continuation of the last panel?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm an idiot, news at 11.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 15, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yes, the alt-text that's always either author comments or a joke is definitely a giveaway of what's about to happen next.
Did you even look at the alt-text for the latest page or did you leap at the chance to make a snarky comment? Or was your post some sort of meta double sarcasm or something that went over my head.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yes, the alt-text that's always either author comments or a joke is definitely a giveaway of what's about to happen next.

Yes pointing out that the Alt-Text that is literally the artist asking us to visit her at SPX, which just happens to coincide with Moonshadow revealing that she's super famous is definitely saying that someone thinks that that's what is actually going to happen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know how, I just somehow completely misread that post as "didn't you guys read the alt text in the previous page?". I have no idea how.

:negative:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
She could just be showing off to make them to the line as well, but I am still going for "Outright murdering".

Also, it's probably the artist, but she seriously does not look like she is in shape, unless he meant training and getting in shape with cupcakes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Also, it's probably the artist, but she seriously does not look like she is in shape, unless he meant training and getting in shape with cupcakes.

Really? To me she looks like she's muscular but wearing a track jacket.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hollismason posted:

She could just be showing off to make them to the line as well, but I am still going for "Outright murdering".

I've seen a fat dude who liked to do long distance running run down a skinny dude and beat his rear end for messing with him. Just because you don't have a low enough body fat percentage for well defined muscles doesn't mean you're not in shape.

Roy Nelson could probably beat up most of the posters in this thread without a significant delay in his scheduled cupcake consumption.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollismason posted:

It looks to me like that's what her body-type looks like when she's really fit. Athletic bodies don't all look alike, we've just become conditioned to expect them to look a certain way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe she's giving them some of her cupcakes.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, it looks to me like "stocky, but in good shape". The panel where she's folding her arms makes her look a bit floofy, but I think that's just supposed to be the suit.

Keep in mind that Moonshadow used to look like this, too:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
New page

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-46-3/

She's just going to murder them all

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RickoniX posted:

She's just going to murder them all

"From a guy who mowed down a family of five in Fallujah?"

They're all so dead.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yep, they're hosed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Please do. If I am proven wrong, and her killing them ends up happening, AND well-executed, I will eat all the crow I deserve.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. It's just far too much of a detour and pacing slowdown just to accomplish "yes, Moonshadow is evil".

I haven't said anything about it being well-executed.

This chapter's going to be #KillAllMen: the webcomic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Moonshadow's justification (which is pretty much what we assumed it would be) is easy to juxtapose with Alison's recent conversations with Brad and Pintsize. When giant robots are attacking the city and demolishing buildings with their pincer claws, it does seem like a good idea to have a bunch of people visit them with some extrajudicial beatdowns. But that activity isn't fundamentally different from what she's doing right now; she's deciding who represents a threat, selecting an appropriate punishment, and dishing it out without consulting anyone. The main difference is in the degree of threat and the proportionality of the response, which is something that's kind of down to the individual anyway - maybe Moonshadow thinks teenage rapists are actually MORE dangerous than the giant robots in the long term.

I wonder what Pintsize is going to think when he finds out. He and Alison could easily end up blaming each other, since she's using Pintsize's methods (vigilante justice) to attack some of Alison's targets (social ills).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Are you guys just completely ignoring everything she's saying? When you compare yourself to the people you're talking to, it's generally not because you're about to kill those people. Most serial murderers don't have that kind of self-awareness.

For one thing, her entire schtick is that someone has to ask her to murder the people. She wants to make 100% sure that whoever she's killing deserves it. As a government agent, she's had to kill her fair share of people too. She outright says it in the final panel of the last update, she's killed terrorists without a trial.

She is comparing herself to these men, who also have had the experience of being government agents, who also have a history of doing what needs to be done despite the rules, and who she's just demonstrated are good without being good enough to take her down. All that just so she can kill them? No, no, I'm afraid the truth is much simpler.

Birthday Party. :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I still think it's fifty-fifty on being murder-time or recruitment pitch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

" And now that the moral philosophy of what I am doing is out of the way, let us enjoy some post battle cupcakes"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I really hope she just has a good sense of humor and didn't just pull a serious "all men are rapists".

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Pavlov posted:

I really hope she just has a good sense of humor and didn't just pull a serious "all men are rapists".

I think she's saying that calling rapists innocent boys is a misframing of the situation

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It is different because a family of 5 in Fallujah is a family of brown people, they don't count; 4 young white male local football star players do (maybe just one had a varsity jacket on, I'm not going back to look).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The guy didn't say innocent. He just called them boys, which they absolutely were. By saying they are rapists and not boys, she is dehumanizing her victims. I am sure the soldier dehumanized that family, quite possibly through racism as Molybdenum suggests.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
This is what happens when a bunch of impressionable teenagers start kicking in faces and get government funding and unending media fawning for it.

Edit: I don't think she's calling them rapists because they were dudes. She's calling them rapists because they raped a girl. That was a whole big thing.

Alopex fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 16, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pavlov posted:

Also this

"You think the police would let me just run around killing people indiscriminately? That's their job!"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's interesting how vocal she's being in this scene. From everything we've seen before, she's supposed to be the quiet one. Maybe that doesn't apply when she isn't with the team.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

She's been taking a few speech classes at the local community college. It's really helped her self-confidence.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pavlov posted:

Man I can't believe that there are people who actually managed to read that line like that. She said that because "boys" carries an connotation of innocence to it, whereas "rapists" does not, which makes it more accurate.

Jackard posted:

Also this

"You think the police would let me just run around killing people indiscriminately? That's their job!"

Well that one's for real, but she lives in America so it's mostly pretty accurate.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I like how this is unfolding so far.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ChairMaster posted:

Man I can't believe that there are people who actually managed to read that line like that. She said that because "boys" carries an connotation of innocence to it, whereas "rapists" does not, which makes it more accurate.

Well that one's for real, but she lives in America so it's mostly pretty accurate.

Well, she's being pretty strangely tongue-in-cheek this page, its hard to tell exactly how serious she's being about any of it (except, perhaps, for the last bit). If she's serious about the cop bit, its not too much of a stretch to think she might be serious about the "boys, rapists, technically different" bit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

howe_sam posted:

I still think it's fifty-fifty on being murder-time or recruitment pitch.

Yeah, I'm still not sure which way this is going.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think it's more interesting that of course she'd be a complete psychopath since apparently she's been killing people for the last few years. I found that pretty interesting, I wonder if Allison has killed anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hollismason posted:

I think it's more interesting that of course she'd be a complete psychopath since apparently she's been killing people for the last few years. I found that pretty interesting, I wonder if Allison has killed anyone.

Yes, she's killed intentionally and accidentally in the course of this strip, we don't even know her full body count from her mercenary work.

• Locked thread