Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, in fact it might actually be better than Second Son because no stupid morality choices, they smoothed out movement and the combat arena is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, in fact it might actually be better than Second Son because no stupid morality choices, they smoothed out movement and the combat arena is pretty fun.

sweet. buying it and resogun now.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'm playing it now and it looks real good. Very short, but there is an arena mode which is kind of fun actually.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Is infamous first light good? I don't really want to play second son for 60 dollars if I can get nearly the same thing for 15.

Like are the graphics and gameplay on par?

Graphics, yes. Gameplay, you get 1 of the 3 power sets, half of the already small city is locked off, the story is much shorter, the side missions are less varied (although there are types that aren't in the base game), in general it really is about a quarter of the game for a quarter of the price.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

short is good because i got a big backlog already and just want a taste of open world super hero simulator since I skipped all the old infamous games, crackdown, and saints row 4.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Just want to double-check: The PS4 still can't play MKV files, correct?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Recycle Bin posted:

Just want to double-check: The PS4 still can't play MKV files, correct?
Not yet, but I think they confirmed a while back that the media features we all want are coming eventually.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Venus baby...!

While another opinion on Destiny isn't exactly what this thread needs, I just wanted to say it's easy to let the flaws of Destiny override the quailty parts. Anti-hype and unfiilled expectations will do that to you but drat it, we got a developer mixing it up trying to do something different and innovative (albeit currently flawed) and we bitch. No wonder COD gets rehashed year after year, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Destiny has potential, if you don't enjoy the core mechanics, that's fair enough, but moaning about narrative and set pieces is a little unfair. I just did the moon strike with some pubbies, and while we didn't have voice chat, after wiping a few times we managed to pull it together and had one of the most intense gaming set pieces ever, completely organic and self generated (level 10). Getting to Venus really feels like the game is hitting it's stride.

We can all agree to disagree and carry on with our daily routines, but Destiny has the potential to evolve into something worthwhile, and I for one am glad to be along for the ride.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Megasabin posted:

Halo was a much more impressive game for the time it came out

Of course it was, and it's a situation that won't really happen again. When Halo came out shooters on consoles were basically total poo poo. Halo and Goldeneye were really it. That's not the case anymore because the bar is far higher in FPS quality on consoles.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manac0r posted:

Venus baby...!

While another opinion on Destiny isn't exactly what this thread needs, I just wanted to say it's easy to let the flaws of Destiny override the quailty parts. Anti-hype and unfiilled expectations will do that to you but drat it, we got a developer mixing it up trying to do something different and innovative (albeit currently flawed) and we bitch. No wonder COD gets rehashed year after year, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Destiny has potential, if you don't enjoy the core mechanics, that's fair enough, but moaning about narrative and set pieces is a little unfair. I just did the moon strike with some pubbies, and while we didn't have voice chat, after wiping a few times we managed to pull it together and had one of the most intense gaming set pieces ever, completely organic and self generated (level 10). Getting to Venus really feels like the game is hitting it's stride.

We can all agree to disagree and carry on with our daily routines, but Destiny has the potential to evolve into something worthwhile, and I for one am glad to be along for the ride.

I've had a lot of fun partnering up with pubs and doing strikes and I guess I'm just lucky to get matched up with competent players or something. It's felt a lot like Dark Souls or Journey and I'm kind of glad voice chat is opt in rather than opt out. When I want to chat I'll start a fireteam and invite my friends.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man I wish PSN friends list will work again. Hasn't been right since Destiny launched. Roster page on Destiny is almost always blank and my friends list just won't load. Can't add any goons wanting to play because the search function just gets stuck searching.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ok I tried P.T. to see what a strictly next gen game looks like and here's my feedback:

1. This looks amazing!!!!! Holy poo poo, I can't wait for waves of games designed exclusively for these things

2. For the love of God that was loving terrifying and I couldn't finish it

I think it's another phenomenon similar to but different from the Uncanny Valley. Things have gotten so photo realistic and immersive that some people like me can't suspend disbelief anymore and turn off the "gently caress I'm going to get murdered in real life right now" spider sense while playing. Could you imagine this on Project Morpheus?

Maybe call it the Uncanny Death Valley or something.

I was excited to play the new Silent Hill game but now I'm seriously considering whether I can

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mentioned this before, but to me, giving a game a "soul" is the same thing as taking risks with it. That appears to be very deliberately what they didn't do with Destiny; they decided to make it "polished" instead.

Not to like, pick on you too bad for this, but this is the weirdest and wrongest metaphor I've ever read. Risk and soul and polish are not mutually exclusive or even related in any real corollary sense. You're just throwing around buzz words.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

superh posted:

Not to like, pick on you too bad for this, but this is the weirdest and wrongest metaphor I've ever read. Risk and soul and polish are not mutually exclusive or even related in any real corollary sense. You're just throwing around buzz words.
Well, take for an example the "that wizard came from the moon!" line. That would have added what I consider a soul to the game; an indication that it came from imperfect humans with sometimes silly ideas. In the name of consistency I assume, they got rid of it from the final version.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

As I mentioned in the other thread, Destiny reminds me a lot of my reaction to playing Mass Effect 1 and Oblivion. Flawed but very promising beachheads that will lead to some awesome sequels. Really good core game and style with some emptiness and curiously bad mechanics like the vehicles and elevators in Mass Effect and the lifeless dungeons in Oblivion. Staggering amount of hype, forums threads will have people posting diatribes on the topic for weeks (like this one). I've enjoyed all of these games mentioned but can see why some people struggle to.

I guess some of these epic AAA games really take 2 games worth of development to really hit their stride.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Manac0r posted:

we got a developer mixing it up trying to do something different and innovative (albeit currently flawed) and we bitch. No wonder COD gets rehashed year after year, better to be safe than sorry, right?

What about Destiny is different and innovative? They saw potential in Borderlands as a game with a successful formula but mediocre gunplay, and made their owned tuned up version while borrowing concepts from MMO's. The way they pieced it together is unique, but it's not some bastion of innovation. In fact ironically I would argue that the multiplayer in the original Modern Warfare (not the 15 games after) was more innovative than anything in Destiny.

Also the entire "COD wah wah wah" argument is so disingenuous. Just because a company releases something "innovative", doesn't mean it deserves a free pass from criticism. Hell I literally said Destiny was a well made game, but just had some critical flaws that prevent me from enjoying it.

BitBasher posted:

Of course it was, and it's a situation that won't really happen again. When Halo came out shooters on consoles were basically total poo poo. Halo and Goldeneye were really it. That's not the case anymore because the bar is far higher in FPS quality on consoles.

I don't really understand your point here. Do you honestly think we will never see a fundamental leap forward in FPS design every again or something? The bar is no different than it's always been-- that's the entire reason breakthrough franchises are held in such high regard. They find an unexpected unique way to introduce a new mechanic or playstyle into the genre that innovates things and sets a new standard. Half Life, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Halo, Goldeneye, Modern Warfare, etc...

Now I admit it's been a drat long while before we've seen a gamechanger FPS (probably the original Modern Warfare or Borderlands), and it's long overdue, but I definitely think there is room for another "Halo" or "Half Life" that changes the standards. If you don't think that's true, that's a pretty bleak outlook for the future of FPS and gaming in general.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

AAA games are allowed to get away with a lot more bullshit that just wouldn't fly in other games. The center speaker straight up didn't produce sound in GTA V if you had a 5.1 system and I don't think they ever even acknowledged it.

Also yeah I don't think Destiny is innovative at all, really. It's regressive if anything with the lack of communication and annoying party features (sending someone you were matchmade with a fireteam invite takes too long and forces them to re-load, for example)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oculus Rift and/or Project Morpheus will lead to some interesting developments in FPS, I think/hope/will waste a ton of money finding out. Might lead to some innovation in controllers too since I've read people suggest controllers like the Razer Hydra felt more natural with VR.

Edit: Despite everything else said about Destiny, matchmaking with some random people to engage in a long slugfest against a boss and then doing nerdy Internet dances after is still pretty drat fun.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 14, 2014

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Real hurthling! posted:

Is infamous first light good? I don't really want to play second son for 60 dollars if I can get nearly the same thing for 15.

Like are the graphics and gameplay on par?

First Light doesn't have any boss fights but has a better paced story and a really fun arena mode that will give you several hours of fun.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ok I tried P.T. to see what a strictly next gen game looks like and here's my feedback:

1. This looks amazing!!!!! Holy poo poo, I can't wait for waves of games designed exclusively for these things

2. For the love of God that was loving terrifying and I couldn't finish it

I think it's another phenomenon similar to but different from the Uncanny Valley. Things have gotten so photo realistic and immersive that some people like me can't suspend disbelief anymore and turn off the "gently caress I'm going to get murdered in real life right now" spider sense while playing. Could you imagine this on Project Morpheus?

Maybe call it the Uncanny Death Valley or something.

I was excited to play the new Silent Hill game but now I'm seriously considering whether I can
I tried playing this game but all I ended up doing was going in a loop. Couldn't interact with anything but 1 door. What did I do wrong? :saddowns:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I tried playing this game but all I ended up doing was going in a loop. Couldn't interact with anything but 1 door. What did I do wrong? :saddowns:

Mild spoiler regarding what to do with the door if you press the r3 button you take a closer look at something

revolther
May 27, 2008
Everyone, who can't explain exactly why they enjoy repetitive actions with unchanging outcomes, loves Destiny.

I'm not an advocate of shaming the mentally ill, but that is insanity.

At some point folks should look at all the shameful design paradigms (from terribly addictive games, literally focus grouped to be addictive), that have become standard and maybe step back and collectively say, "NO!"

There is some serious evil infiltrating this industry called game, that has somehow out paced movies and television.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

revolther posted:

Everyone, who can't explain exactly why they enjoy repetitive actions with unchanging outcomes, loves video games.

Fixed that for you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

revolther posted:

<<Multiple posts about other people enjoying video games that he doesn't enjoy>>

You sure do seem vexed about people enjoying stuff that you don't understand or like.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, take for an example the "that wizard came from the moon!" line. That would have added what I consider a soul to the game; an indication that it came from imperfect humans with sometimes silly ideas. In the name of consistency I assume, they got rid of it from the final version.

You mean authorship in games? Don't tell me David Cage has a soul...

But yeah I get what you are saying.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

revolther posted:

Everyone, who can't explain exactly why they enjoy repetitive actions with unchanging outcomes, loves Destiny.

At some point folks should look at all the shameful design paradigms (from terribly addictive games, literally focus grouped to be addictive), that have become standard and maybe step back and collectively say, "NO!"

There is some serious evil infiltrating this industry called game, that has somehow out paced movies and television.

This is hilarious please keep it up

e: please don't make your brain start bleeding though, I wish you no harm

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 15, 2014

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

revolther posted:

I agree. gently caress Tetris.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ghostwritingduck posted:

I agree. gently caress Tetris.

Well, Tetris gives you different blocks each time you pick a new game. In Destiny all the spawns are the same, dependent upon difficulty. Just saying..

(this is why I play pvp)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a cop posted:

Well, Tetris gives you different blocks each time you pick a new game. In Destiny all the spawns are the same, dependent upon difficulty. Just saying..

(this is why I play pvp)

Nah, there's still some (slight) randomization though obviously within a fairly limited pool. Clearly that is the difference between fun and insanity.

(Mario, however, is only for insane people.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

revolther posted:

I too cannot understand why people would enjoy the gameplay of a game. You are an idiot.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Add me PSN folks for Destiny, Diablo 3, and Madden multiplayer in that order! I'm pretty drat good but don't take it too seriously. PSN = rufioj

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

revolther posted:

The revolution will not be consolized. fight on brother

revolther
May 27, 2008
Hey, hey now.

I could monocle and top hat through here just being right in your faces, or I could kick you all in the ribs while still being right in your faces, the choice is yours collectively.

I'm open.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

TLOU is totally worth it. I don't know why anyone would want to experience it on hard difficulty though. loving normal is already a cavalcade of failure, I'm thinking i'll just beat it on easy and git gud in the multiplayer instead of taking 70 hours to beat a 20 hour game.

The second time through you know what to do so it's a more enjoyable experience on a harder level. I finished on easy first so I could enjoy the story and the environments, and then used the new game plus glitch and played it on hard+ to finish up the achievements and have more of a challenge. I should have done it on survivor+ as I barely used Joel's listen thing the second time through, but never mind. Took less than 7 hours on hard.

Incidentally, there is a common glitch in TLoU where you do all conversations but do not get the trophy. If you get this, restart the chapter after the sewers, before the sniper section and then go back and watch the kids play darts, then play darts yourself. There seems to be an issue with that conversation if you restart encounter or quit at the point Joel etc hide behind the car while the guy tries to sniper them, in that it just forgets you did it. Happened to me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, TLOU on higher difficulties makes into into more of a tense survival sim kind of thing. You're constantly scrounging for items and ammo, and every bullet really feels like it counts. Honestly, the most fun I had was on a Grounded mode playthrough, felt tense the whole time, and once I managed to figure out how to cheese my way through the Winter chapter, wasn't even all that frustrating (gently caress that part in the cabin, though).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I joined up with some level 23+ goons on Destiny and blazed through Mars so fast that I didn't even realize I had finished the game. I was level 15 but we were killing the big bosses in about 15 seconds.

The ending was so anti-climactic that I had no idea until the cutscene, and only then because I had spoiled myself on what happens at the end. plus the little Star Wars group celebration thing

The game does get a lot more visually interesting after its first few levels, but the combat is exactly the same and laughably easy with anyone who's already poopsocked it (and impossible by yourself). I'm not disappointed I bought it, and I'm interested in what they do for DLC - something I'd never expect to say after the first couple hours - but it is definitely lacking a (guilty) spark of some sort.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I joined up with some level 23+ goons on Destiny and blazed through Mars so fast that I didn't even realize I had finished the game. I was level 15 but we were killing the big bosses in about 15 seconds.

The ending was so anti-climactic that I had no idea until the cutscene, and only then because I had spoiled myself on what happens at the end. plus the little Star Wars group celebration thing

The game does get a lot more visually interesting after its first few levels, but the combat is exactly the same and laughably easy with anyone who's already poopsocked it (and impossible by yourself). I'm not disappointed I bought it, and I'm interested in what they do for DLC - something I'd never expect to say after the first couple hours - but it is definitely lacking a (guilty) spark of some sort.

That isn't the ending, the ending isn't out yet. Also it's easy until you hit the end game content which pushes up to utterly punishing, dunno what the raids will be like in difficulty yet though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the schedule for DLC stuff, and does anyone think it is going to change the existing environments to give them more to do, or just add new ones?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i can't help but wonder if the story in destiny was cut short and content was gutted to be pushed out as dlc packs. i noticed in my game case there was a paper slip telling me to preorder some expansion packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the schedule for DLC stuff, and does anyone think it is going to change the existing environments to give them more to do, or just add new ones?

• Locked thread