Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Hed posted:

I was looking at getting a BGE and read that they aren't very good for setting up two-zone fires. I usually do steaks in my kettle grill with all the coals on one side, sear and finish on the cool side--do you guys do something like this in the BGE (perhaps by venting and changing the airflow?) or will I need to keep my trusty Weber kettle if I get one?

I've created dual zones before on my egg, but it required some additional grates and half moon stone that I bought from ceramic grill store. I dont have a real good pic, just one of some cheese but it was the same setup. The ice would be sitting on a grate, the cheese is on a half moon grate with a half moon stone suspended underneath it. I love my egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

You're right, you can't do dual zone on a BGE. What people do instead is the reverse sear. You start off at a low temp and when you're 10F from your desired doneness, you take the steaks off, open up the vents and wait to achieve 650-700F and then return the steaks for 1 minute per side.
http://www.biggreencraig.com/reverse-sear-ribeye.html

You can definitely do dual zones on an XL BGE :getin:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How?

Doesn't the ceramic essentially warm to the same temp all the way around and do a really good job of holding that temp?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

How?

Doesn't the ceramic essentially warm to the same temp all the way around and do a really good job of holding that temp?

Ive always taken dual zone to mean one portion directly over open flames and one section that isn't. Atleast as related to high heat grilling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sellouts posted:

How?

The XL is big enough that you can put a hot pile of coals over to one side and leave a cooler side. The fact that it's ceramic has nothing to do with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

Ive always taken dual zone to mean one portion directly over open flames and one section that isn't. Atleast as related to high heat grilling.

Sure, but ceramic radiates a lot more heat much more efficiently than another grill, no?

I just thought that would likely minimize dual zone cooking over any appreciable length of time, but I guess an xl is that wide. Ive only got a large. Next time my buddy comes over with his infrared thermometer I am trying this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ceramic retains heat better than metal, but it's not the ceramic material doing the bulk of the cooking in the egg.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice cheese pic

BraveUlysses posted:

You can definitely do dual zones on an XL BGE :getin:

Ok so that was going to be my next question-if I got a big enough grill. So sounds like I know what I'm getting! Although I'm going to look at the new XXL for Lols.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Hed posted:

Nice cheese pic

Ok so that was going to be my next question-if I got a big enough grill. So sounds like I know what I'm getting! Although I'm going to look at the new XXL for Lols.

Haha.. you'll def LOL when you see the price. My local dealer has it priced at over 5k. Its big enough to just drop a whole 25lbs bag of charcoal in and just light the bag..

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah BGEs in XL go for an easy $1500-$1800 if not more depending on where you live.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
My 40 inch Master built showed up this afternoon. I am fairly impressed with the build quality. Only one screw had a hard time righting its self. I plan on smoking a pork shoulder this weekend and will be sure to post crappy cell pictures. The amazen smoker I ordered on advice has not shown up yet, lets hope it does before Friday.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah BGEs in XL go for an easy $1500-$1800 if not more depending on where you live.

I'm Canadian and I paid about $1500 for my LBGE (with accessories). We suck :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

I bought one new for $1079, worth driving 7hrs round trip to buy it.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Bought mine with a nest and plate setter for $1199... It's pretty common to find a local dealer willing to wheel-deal.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Yeah I could get an XL for right at $1100 from my dealer.. the XXL is a whole other story though.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Made some pork shoulder pastrami. Cured for a week and a half, then smoked over plumwood. I omitted the normal rub because I wanted to use it more like bacon. It's a little too salty to use as lunch meat but oh my god it makes good pastrami bacon

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I had a hankering for beef back ribs this weekend so I went shopping today. It was a fiasco.

Store #1: no beef ribs at all.

Store #2: beef ribs that were all separated from each other, about 3 or 4 to a package, at $3.99/ lb! :psyduck:

Store #3: packages of 4 beef ribs, then 3 more stacked on top. All were shiners with gaps in between the bones. Terrible.

I'm gonna try one more store tomorrow and look for a decent whole rack. If they don't have anything, I'm just gonna give up and get some turkey legs and make this thing instead.

http://meatventures.com/i-made-the-swanson-a-bacon-wrapped-turkey-drumstick-it-was-glorious/

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Yeah beef racks are pretty uncommon. Hard to turn over in a commercial setting.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
The stores in my area tend to take the bones out of beef ribs. I have to drive miles out of my way to a small butcher and special order beef ribs.

On another note, Boston butt on the smoker. Pictures some time later today.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've had a love/hate relationship with beef shortribs. I tried a few times to do them, but they seem completely hit or miss. Like the above guy said they're only sold as individual pieces in my area (Central NJ), and the marbling of the fat is so inconsistent. A few of them are done perfectly, and taste like super tender brisket nuggets, but most of them are either just too fatty to tolerate (like 70%), or not fatty enough and tough and stringy (0-5%). You cant even tell prior to smoking either, because they all look basically the same on the outside. I'd like to say that the good ones are awesome enough to warrant the cost, but they just aren't. I'd rather just do a brisket.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

coronaball posted:

I had a hankering for beef back ribs this weekend so I went shopping today. It was a fiasco.

Store #1: no beef ribs at all.

Store #2: beef ribs that were all separated from each other, about 3 or 4 to a package, at $3.99/ lb! :psyduck:

Store #3: packages of 4 beef ribs, then 3 more stacked on top. All were shiners with gaps in between the bones. Terrible.

I'm gonna try one more store tomorrow and look for a decent whole rack. If they don't have anything, I'm just gonna give up and get some turkey legs and make this thing instead.

http://meatventures.com/i-made-the-swanson-a-bacon-wrapped-turkey-drumstick-it-was-glorious/

All of the costcos around here(DC Metro area) have big racks of beef ribs, but I don't know the price per pound.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
So, I finally got around to finishing this thing today-

It's a mud pan charcoal fuse, as mentioned halfway down the page here, although not nearly as neat looking as that one.

It holds quite a bit of charcoal, so I'm hoping it'll give me a good temp over several hours. How did this one end up upside down...

It fits pretty much perfectly inside my grill. Pardon the mess- I'm just giving it a dry run to burn off the various lubricants and see how it performs.

I have a really nice set of drill bits, but it was still kind of a bitch to drill all of those holes in the bottom through three layers of stainless steel. Cutting the slots in the sides was also a pain- just one cut used up an entire dremel cut-off wheel, and it was hard to get the tin snips in there for a clean cut. All in all, I really hope this setup is sufficient, because I don't really feel like cutting up any more of these things to expand it.

It's been going for a half hour now, and it's hovering around 225. 225-250 for 4-6 hours is my goal. I guess I should have cleaned the grill out before doing this, because the leftover junk in the bottom has ignited. Whoops! I'm an hour and a half in, and it seems to have stabilized around 290. It's also fairly windy today, so that could be keeping the temp higher as well.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 13, 2014

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Don't smoke trimmed beef ribs. Just get a whole prime rib rack and cook it alllllllllll.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
So I failed at taking pictures. Boston Butt turned out well enough. Not enough smoke, but good flavor. My amazen smoker is in the mail so I will try again when it arrives.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
I discovered today that the ribs I was planning to smoke had apparently gone bad. I'm guessing the freezer door getting left cracked open a couple of weeks ago was what killed them :downsgun:

Oddly enough, nothing else in the freezer seems to have been affected. Broccoli, chicken, sausage, all fine. Even the pork chops that were bought, frozen, and then pulled out of the freezer to thaw all on the same day as the ribs were fine when I grilled them up last night. Not the ribs though! They reeked of death as soon as I cut open the package. I got a second opinion from the fiance, and into the trash they went- three whole racks of baby back ribs! :cry:

Fortunately, I got them from costco, so that was only $30 wasted...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bad meat crew reppin'

In the last week I bought a full-size pork shoulder from the butcher and went home to smoke it and it was absolutely rotten. As in, dude you had to smell that in order to weight it what in the gently caress?! Then I went this morning and grabbed spare ribs from Whole Foods and they were bad right out of the package.

Damnit, I just want to smoke meats.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I always cruise by the meats when I stop at whole foods and I always laugh at 7.99lb pork shoulder.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

Costco is pretty good about returns, for future reference. I had something similar happen with a corned beef brisket a while ago (vac bag ballooned when I thawed it) and they just let me return it after explaining it had been deep frozen since the day I bought it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I always cruise by the meats when I stop at whole foods and I always laugh at 7.99lb pork shoulder.

I just moved out of hog country and man do I miss the .97/lb pork shoulder special. 2.99 on special is the absolute cheapest I can find it now.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Ezrem posted:

Costco is pretty good about returns, for future reference. I had something similar happen with a corned beef brisket a while ago (vac bag ballooned when I thawed it) and they just let me return it after explaining it had been deep frozen since the day I bought it.

I thought about returning them, but I had no receipt, and also I didn't want to drive across town with a bag of rotten meat in the car...

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

I thought about returning them, but I had no receipt, and also I didn't want to drive across town with a bag of rotten meat in the car...

I re-froze mine, and they took it without the receipt…though it was in original packaging.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 14, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Isn't it a bad idea to thaw meat still vacuum sealed?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BLARGHLE posted:

I discovered today that the ribs I was planning to smoke had apparently gone bad. I'm guessing the freezer door getting left cracked open a couple of weeks ago was what killed them :downsgun:

Oddly enough, nothing else in the freezer seems to have been affected. Broccoli, chicken, sausage, all fine. Even the pork chops that were bought, frozen, and then pulled out of the freezer to thaw all on the same day as the ribs were fine when I grilled them up last night. Not the ribs though! They reeked of death as soon as I cut open the package. I got a second opinion from the fiance, and into the trash they went- three whole racks of baby back ribs! :cry:

I've got really bad news, dude. When you first open a pack of vacuum-sealed meat, it absolutely reeks like death even when the meat's good. It's just something about the process. Pull out the ribs, put them on something else, and smell the actual meat a few minutes later. It'll smell fine and you can go ahead. Sorry bro :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, vac packed pork always smells like it's bad.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Anne Whateley posted:

I've got really bad news, dude. When you first open a pack of vacuum-sealed meat, it absolutely reeks like death even when the meat's good. It's just something about the process. Pull out the ribs, put them on something else, and smell the actual meat a few minutes later. It'll smell fine and you can go ahead. Sorry bro :(

Really? I've gotten plenty of vacuum packed stuff before, and it never smelled like that!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Same. I give everything a sniff right out of the package and if doesn't have a clean smell I'm not cooking it. I've only ever had bad pork out of the package three times, ever.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

revmoo posted:

Same. I give everything a sniff right out of the package and if doesn't have a clean smell I'm not cooking it. I've only ever had bad pork out of the package three times, ever.

Mine always smells like a corpse 3 weeks dead and I still cook it. Never had a problem y

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Beef often smells pretty rank out of the vacpac. Pork, not really. The worst smell was from duck though. I actually had to call the butcher and have him convince me it was still good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can google "vacuum packed ribs smell" and see that it's super common. It is gross, but it's not the meat that smells, it's just the packaging. If you give it a minute and smell the meat itself, it'll be fine. If you're using it before the sell-by date, and the other meat it was stored with is perfect, and the ribs themselves smell fine, it's all good. All the vacuum-packed pork ribs I've made have been the same way -- I only get mine from one source, and maybe some producers are more prone to it than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yea I opened a double pack of pork shoulders a week or two ago that I got from Sam's and they smelled like death. Cooked them both up for a party and everything was fine. I always just thought that's how it worked