Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

Understood, thank you.

I think that's what I'll do. Get a Dell, put something burlier in it. The stock PSU will support a Ti.

If you mean the stock Dell PSU will support a single-fan GTX 750ti, yes it will. Anything beyond that including double fan 750ti models that require PCI cables, will require a better PSU.

Shop on Dell Outlet for the slightly used or open box stuff, you'd want the Dell Inspirons that are normal ATX size, not the small-form-factor ones, so that a graphics card will fit.

Edit:

outlet.dell.com posted:

Inspiron 3847 Desktop
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i5-4440 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
Windows 8.1
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
Price: $489.00

Take that and toss in a Seasonic ~500-600watt PSU and a graphics card of your choice and you're golden.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't suppose the 450 watt PSU from my old system would cut it? If it worked with the double fan Ti, that would just be great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

I don't suppose the 450 watt PSU from my old system would cut it? If it worked with the double fan Ti, that would just be great.

If your PSU is past it's warranty or more than 5 years old it's a better idea to chuck it and use a fresh one. As a PSU dies it can tend to take other components with it. What brand and model is is exactly?

You're still not specifying which ti you're referring to. There's a 660ti, 750ti, 780ti, so on. For example overclocking a 780ti can push past 300 watts which doesn't leave a lot of breathing room with a 450 watt PSU.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Oh, I'm sorry. I meant a 750 Ti. I wasn't aware there were other parts with that designation.

On that note, as far the two fan design is concerned, there look to be three manufacturers: EVGA, ASUS and MSI. Which would you recommend? (Nevermind, reread the OP and got the information I needed.)

Volcott fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Actually, is the two fan model even worth it? Does it just run cooler? (Apparently it's also somewhat more powerful. Research strikes again.)

I am an endless font of stupid questions today.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 14, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, the two-fan model doesn't serve much purpose except that it can run slightly quieter because the heatsink is spread across two fans which can both run at a lower speed. The EVGA FTW version actually runs louder because the lower floor RPM is dialed in too high. They are all very quiet cards though. I've yet to see one which even overclocked can draw more than 60 watts from the wall. The two-fan models sometimes require PCI but despite the marketing, they don't give any noticibly better performance since they can't be overclocked.

The EVGA model has the best warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO this version is the #1 seller for all GPUs on Amazon, and is $130 new after rebate, can't go wrong with that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Okay, I'll go with that.

That should wrap things up, except for the actual ordering. You've been a great help, folks.

(Oh, Dell confirmed the 450 watt unit that comes with the system I've been looking into could handle the twin fan model, but if there's no real difference between them, I'll just go with the single.)

Edit: the editing: revelations: Ah hell, the two fan solution from MSI is only 136bux, might as well go for broke.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 14, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

coolskillrex remix posted:

If you guys missed the goon selling a bunch of mining gigabyte 280x for $185 im selling my msi 280x for $175. Has 2 years of warranty left. 280x are still the best budget card, theyre 80% of the performance of a gtx770 and about half the price. It kinda hosed up the whole graphic card market.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664795

They're both $300 new :confused:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Does anybody have any general recommendations for a minimum spec box streaming steam games?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Hmm, so basically the r9 280x is equal if not better than the gtx770? Why would anyone spend so much on a gtx770?!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1gnoirents posted:

Does anybody have any general recommendations for a minimum spec box streaming steam games?

I'm able to stream games just fine at 720p60 to a Celeron J1900 based HTPC. I used this embedded solution specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494, though I got it on sale from Amazon for like $50. Added 8GB of RAM, 120GB SSD, and a 150W picoPSU with 105W power adapter. It can stream at 1080p, but the fps tends to fluctuate around 40-55. 720p generally stays at 60fps. This is over a gigabit network and the host/server pc is a Core i3-4330, 8GB RAM, and a Radeon 7850.

[edit] I should say the only "issue" is that Steam Big Picture mode is slightly laggy at 1080p since it's running of the J1900's iGPU and isn't streamed off the host PC. Switching it to 720p runs fine for me personally, but I'm sure some people might find it too a bit too stuttery. Adding a discrete videocard would probably remedy this, but I'm fond of having an HTPC box that runs cool and is 100% silent.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Hmm, so basically the r9 280x is equal if not better than the gtx770? Why would anyone spend so much on a gtx770?!

Because AMD has driver issues and sucks down a ton more power.

Well, not really, but that's what I keep reading in this thread.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

teagone posted:

I'm able to stream games just fine at 720p60 to a Celeron J1900 based HTPC. I used this embedded solution specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494, though I got it on sale from Amazon for like $50. Added 8GB of RAM, 120GB SSD, and a 150W picoPSU with 105W power adapter. It can stream at 1080p, but the fps tends to fluctuate around 40-55. 720p generally stays at 60fps. This is over a gigabit network and the host/server pc is a Core i3-4330, 8GB RAM, and a Radeon 7850.

[edit] I should say the only "issue" is that Steam Big Picture mode is slightly laggy at 1080p since it's running of the J1900's iGPU and isn't streamed off the host PC. Switching it to 720p runs fine for me personally, but I'm sure some people might find it too a bit too stuttery. Adding a discrete videocard would probably remedy this, but I'm fond of having an HTPC box that runs cool and is 100% silent.

Thanks, I'd like to reduce lag as much as possible but I wonder if I the Pentium bundle igpu can handle it. Size and noise being of least concern to me in general. Does an SSD help with streaming?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Peanut3141 posted:

Because AMD has driver issues and sucks down a ton more power.

Well, not really, but that's what I keep reading in this thread.

Well it's really because they used to be almost identical in price for a long time and performance wise might as well be brothers. So very minor things like AMD drivers vs nvidia, and SLI vs crossfire quality, made people's decisions if they were on the fence. Now that there are so many 280x sales its a no brainer for cost/performance for new.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Well it's really because they used to be almost identical in price for a long time and performance wise might as well be brothers. So very minor things like AMD drivers vs nvidia, and SLI vs crossfire quality, made people's decisions if they were on the fence. Now that there are so many 280x sales its a no brainer for cost/performance for new.

Scroll back over the last few pages and you'll find a couple builds still choosing the 770 over the 280X because $50 is worth Nvidia peace of mind, they've been burned by AMD or some such.

Oh well, just means AMD will have to keep prices lower than performance warrants to retain market share, so I win I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1gnoirents posted:

Thanks, I'd like to reduce lag as much as possible but I wonder if I the Pentium bundle igpu can handle it. Size and noise being of least concern to me in general. Does an SSD help with streaming?

I don't think there are any real benefits of having an SSD for Steam in-home streaming on the client PC side. Reason I went with the SSD is because I had an unused 120GB EVO laying around from a previous build, and I wasn't planning on installing or storing anything on my HTPC other than Steam and Plex Home Theater anyways; all content is streamed to the HTPC from my Plex/storage server and gaming PC located elsewhere in my house.

As for the Pentium iGPU (assuming referring to the Pentium G3258 + MSI Z97 bundle from microcenter), if you're looking to reduce UI lag in Steam Big Picture mode I'd opt to put in a lower end discrete GPU either way, like the R7 250 or the GTX 750 from the OP. The specs for the iGPU of the G3258 are vague, and I couldn't really find a definitive answer as to how it compares to the J1900's iGPU. Here's the ARK spec sheet comparison between the two though: http://ark.intel.com/compare/78867,82723

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Peanut3141 posted:

Scroll back over the last few pages and you'll find a couple builds still choosing the 770 over the 280X because $50 is worth Nvidia peace of mind, they've been burned by AMD or some such.

Oh well, just means AMD will have to keep prices lower than performance warrants to retain market share, so I win I guess.

Oh ok. Well, I too have dealt with AMD driver bullshit but its not worth $50 to me. At least not in a bang for the buck scenario, which GPU choice usually is

teagone posted:

I don't think there are any real benefits of having an SSD for Steam in-home streaming on the client PC side. Reason I went with the SSD is because I had an unused 120GB EVO laying around from a previous build, and I wasn't planning on installing or storing anything on my HTPC other than Steam and Plex Home Theater anyways; all content is streamed to the HTPC from my Plex/storage server and gaming PC located elsewhere in my house.

As for the Pentium iGPU (assuming referring to the Pentium G3258 + MSI Z97 bundle from microcenter), if you're looking to reduce UI lag in Steam Big Picture mode I'd opt to put in a lower end discrete GPU either way, like the R7 250 or the GTX 750 from the OP. The specs for the iGPU of the G3258 are vague, and I couldn't really find a definitive answer as to how it compares to the J1900's iGPU. Here's the ARK spec sheet comparison between the two though: http://ark.intel.com/compare/78867,82723

Thanks. I'll look into it, but at least I have an idea what I'm looking for. Could probably crank out a craigslist special with that bundle for ~225

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
My father and I just finished putting together my new build, and I am having some issues with the GPU. I've been searching around for a few hours now and trying a lot of different solutions, but I'm still stumped. If anyone could shed some light on this, that'd be great.

These are my specs:
ASRock H97m Pro4 LGA1150
i5-4590 3.3Ghz Quadcore
MSI nVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB
Rosewill Capstone 550W PSU
Samsung 840 Evo Pro
(Also a 1TB HDD that has yet to be installed; need another SATA cable first)

I booted my computer and installed Windows 8.1 onto my SSD just fine. I installed all the drivers from the CD ASRock provided me, and then disabled the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver (which is my onboard graphics, if I'm not mistaken) and then rebooted. I also tried configuring my UEFI settings but found that it wasn't available in the boot options menu that you get to by holding Shift while pressing Restart on the Charms bar. I took a guide through the UEFI on my motherboard's BIOS, but it said that UEFI was already enabled, so I decided not to mess with it. The issue is that any time I install my GTX760, I connect the PCIe connectors, connect my VGA cable directly from my monitor to the GPU's VGA input, and the power on the computer only to find that my monitor gives a "No Signal" screen and then goes into standby/sleep mode. My computer is still running and I believe it is booting to Windows, I just get no display. I am stumped here and any help would be greatly appreciated, again my PC is working just fine without the GPU installed but there is no display with it installed. Thanks!

e: Sorry, maybe I should just post this in Haus of Tech Support instead.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 15, 2014

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
I'm looking to build a quiet power efficient desktop. I'd like to use an after market CPU cooler but I'm concerned it might get in the way of the RAM slots. Will the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO work if I'm using this case and motherboard?

Motherboard: ASRock H97M (MicroATX) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512
Case: Nanoxia NXDS4B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811281005

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
a) I don't get the R9 280x vs. GTX 770 discussion above. They're both $300, no?

b) uh, 840 EVOs are crap now apparently? is this permanent or temporary?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Used 280x's are like $180. Used 770's start at about $250.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
fair enough

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

a) No, 280X can be had for $250 currently, 770 for $280. The 280X has been spotted as low as $220 recently. (New prices)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

McSlaughter posted:

My father and I just finished putting together my new build, and I am having some issues with the GPU. I've been searching around for a few hours now and trying a lot of different solutions, but I'm still stumped. If anyone could shed some light on this, that'd be great.

These are my specs:
ASRock H97m Pro4 LGA1150
i5-4590 3.3Ghz Quadcore
MSI nVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB
Rosewill Capstone 550W PSU
Samsung 840 Evo Pro
(Also a 1TB HDD that has yet to be installed; need another SATA cable first)

I booted my computer and installed Windows 8.1 onto my SSD just fine. I installed all the drivers from the CD ASRock provided me, and then disabled the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver (which is my onboard graphics, if I'm not mistaken) and then rebooted. I also tried configuring my UEFI settings but found that it wasn't available in the boot options menu that you get to by holding Shift while pressing Restart on the Charms bar. I took a guide through the UEFI on my motherboard's BIOS, but it said that UEFI was already enabled, so I decided not to mess with it. The issue is that any time I install my GTX760, I connect the PCIe connectors, connect my VGA cable directly from my monitor to the GPU's VGA input, and the power on the computer only to find that my monitor gives a "No Signal" screen and then goes into standby/sleep mode. My computer is still running and I believe it is booting to Windows, I just get no display. I am stumped here and any help would be greatly appreciated, again my PC is working just fine without the GPU installed but there is no display with it installed. Thanks!

e: Sorry, maybe I should just post this in Haus of Tech Support instead.

You can just put it in the GPU thread too, but the first thing I'd do is reset bios defaults and boot with your vga connected to your gpu. Do the fans spin?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xan posted:

I'm looking to build a quiet power efficient desktop. I'd like to use an after market CPU cooler but I'm concerned it might get in the way of the RAM slots. Will the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO work if I'm using this case and motherboard?

Motherboard: ASRock H97M (MicroATX) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512
Case: Nanoxia NXDS4B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811281005

No cooler will interfere with the ram as long as you get the sort of low profile ram we've always reccomended.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So far all we know is that there may be an issue to do with performance degradation over time, that will probably get fixed with a firmware update, but we have very little information out yet and it hasn't been tested properly by a respected authority. It's far too early to say that the EVO is a bad drive or to discourage someone from buying one.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

MondayHotDog posted:

Used 280x's are like $180. Used 770's start at about $250.

Theres one gtx 770 used on ebay that i can see for a buy it now of $260. Rest are almost $300 used :psyduck:

Meanwhile theres a flood of 280x on ebay left over from the days of mining rigs, and as a result their prices have completely bottomed out. Its a total buyers market for a card that should for all intents and purposes be selling for $300. Anyone who is selling a 280x right now probably was using it for mining (which is why im selling mine), otherwise there would be no point and they would just hold onto it (im keeping one for my gaming rig). The nice thing is companies like MSI have a 3 year warranty and its based on serial number so there is zero risk buying used

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 15, 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just checking on uk ebay and a 3gb msi R280x is £150, that seems pretty drat tempting for that price. Are there any downsides to buying these used cards?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
On advice of this thread I bought a Gigabyte R9 290X (three fans woo) used for $315 shipped on eBay. I was averse to using used parts until I was reminded that, once the (no window) case is closed, there's literally no difference between new and used besides whether you've got a brand that attaches the warranty to the card itself or not.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Theres one gtx 770 used on ebay that i can see for a buy it now of $260. Rest are almost $300 used :psyduck:

Meanwhile theres a flood of 280x on ebay left over from the days of mining rigs, and as a result their prices have completely bottomed out. Its a total buyers market for a card that should for all intents and purposes be selling for $300. Anyone who is selling a 280x right now probably was using it for mining (which is why im selling mine), otherwise there would be no point and they would just hold onto it (im keeping one for my gaming rig). The nice thing is companies like MSI have a 3 year warranty and its based on serial number so there is zero risk buying used

The rollercoaster ride of AMD pricing from just this year was interesting, especially from the standpoint of how people viewed AMD vs nvidia in relation to the price. It's also amazing to me you can still get used mining cards at the prices you do, although the better brands are drying up.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a z97 mATX board that the Noctua NH-D15 doesn't cover the PCIe 16x slot that doesn't suck?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Is there a z97 mATX board that the Noctua NH-D15 doesn't cover the PCIe 16x slot that doesn't suck?

I would just get a different cooler, honestly. I think the Phanteks TC-14PE is first-slot friendly, and it's a really good cooler. Or, for that price, just go with a 240mm or 280mm closed-loop liquid cooler.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unfortunate, because the NH-D15 looks like the best combination of noise and performance.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, no poo poo an outrageously big cooler can radiate heat well, but you have to keep practical limits in mind. See also: Nofan CR-95C.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Factory Factory posted:

I would just get a different cooler, honestly. I think the Phanteks TC-14PE is first-slot friendly, and it's a really good cooler. Or, for that price, just go with a 240mm or 280mm closed-loop liquid cooler.
Are closed-loop liquid coolers reliable enough now that we can consider them viable alternatives to giant heatpipe coolers?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Cardboard Box A posted:

Are closed-loop liquid coolers reliable enough now that we can consider them viable alternatives to giant heatpipe coolers?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but reliability wasn't the problem. They were just very loud and pricier for the same cooling performance until last year's models upped the ante a bit on both those fronts. Heatpipes will still be quieter at idle, though, and still nothing touches the 212 EVO for bang for the buck.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is the Corsair Carbide Air 240 any good? I'm not a huge fan of the window but it looks like a nice small MicroATX case that can fit an H105. I have 2 SSDs and no optical drive, so it seems like a good match for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my GPU from an AMD from 2 years ago (Sapphire 7870) to an nVidia GTX 760. I'm fine with my processor (i5-3570k) right now as I can overclock it, but I was wondering if my current power supply would be fine with the new card. I'm using a 550W Cooler Master right now. I don't know much about PSUs, so I figured I'd ask before getting a new card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Mr E posted:

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my GPU from an AMD from 2 years ago (Sapphire 7870) to an nVidia GTX 760. I'm fine with my processor (i5-3570k) right now as I can overclock it, but I was wondering if my current power supply would be fine with the new card. I'm using a 550W Cooler Master right now. I don't know much about PSUs, so I figured I'd ask before getting a new card.

That's not a huge difference. Compare the R9-270X to the 760, as the 270X is the same silicon as the 7870. Or just compare directly - it's not worth spending the money on.

Also of note from those benches: If your PSU can handle a 7870, it can handle a 760.

Wait for the next generation, or look to more expensive cards (perhaps the imminently upcoming GeForce 970) if you want an upgrade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

That's not a huge difference. Compare the R9-270X to the 760, as the 270X is the same silicon as the 7870. Or just compare directly - it's not worth spending the money on.

Also of note from those benches: If your PSU can handle a 7870, it can handle a 760.

Wait for the next generation, or look to more expensive cards (perhaps the imminently upcoming GeForce 970) if you want an upgrade now.

Well in that case I'll just wait until the next generation of cards, then.

• Locked thread