Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Lurdiak posted:

Dang, my totally legally acquired copy of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 keeps crashing on my physical DS that has a mysterious sticker reading "DeSmuME_0.9.10_x86.exe" on it. It keeps happening during the cinematic at the start of the third trial, which I unfortunately can't skip. Does anyone have a similar issue/know a workaround?

0.9.9. Not 0.9.10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Dang, my totally legally acquired copy of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 keeps crashing on my physical DS that has a mysterious sticker reading "DeSmuME_0.9.10_x86.exe" on it. It keeps happening during the cinematic at the start of the third trial, which I unfortunately can't skip. Does anyone have a similar issue/know a workaround?

I think the FAQ for the translation patch for this game suggests changing the sticker to have 0.9.9 in it rather than 0.9.10.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In Layton VS Phoenix, what's the answer to this music puzzle in the Storyteller's Tower? I don't really get it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Justin_Brett posted:

In Layton VS Phoenix, what's the answer to this music puzzle in the Storyteller's Tower? I don't really get it.

Watch the top screen.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Justin_Brett posted:

it's really dumb, don't feel bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justin_Brett posted:

"Pausing" at a certain point by hitting the home button might help too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

it's really dumb, don't feel bad.

how is it dumb? the lights form a music staff and notes, it was a pretty reasonable puzzle to me, even though a few of the puzzles in this game were pretty dumb

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The dumb part is that the puzzle is super easy when you figure it out but you still have to wait like twenty seconds for it to rotate fully just to get a brief glimpse. There's no challenge to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You should be able to solve the puzzles as soon as you figure out the trick, not have to wait for the puzzle to let you solve it. :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just hope we get Ace Attorney & Crumpets in 2015 and not like 2018. We've had a pretty good run lately.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, that's all stuff I've been trying to do. What's the deal with the star that blinks red? Is red = correct for this puzzle?

Oh there it goes.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 14, 2014

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Yep, that was a Layton ending all right. There was never any magic. Don't be absurd, magic doesn't exist! Ha ha! It was actually this overly convoluted pseudo-scientific system that is less plausible than magic. I'm just glad no one in town ever accidentally walked face-first into any of those gigantic invisible machines over the past ten years, consequently revealing the entire scheme. Boy, that would have been embarrassing! By the way, good show of all that training you received in invisible crane operation, Luke my boy.

Suspension of disbelief aside, though, I liked it as a character story. And I still liked the gameplay as a whole and the new elements it introduced. Basically, I just want Shu Takumi to make more stuff, I don't really care what form it takes.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finally got started on PL vs AA earlier today, and my god, Layton segments are boring as gently caress. I'd played through some of the first Layton game years ago, and I'd forgotten just how tedious it is to solve random, meaningless little puzzles as Generic Gentleman Guy and his Polite Kid Assistant.

I typically blaze through Ace Attorney games over the course of a weekend, but I'm still in chapter 1 of this game because I can't maintain interest in talking with random boring villagers and them asking me to solve a puzzle they apparently had crammed down their pants just in case some random dude and his dorky apprentice wandered by and said hello. It wouldn't be so bad if Layton and Luke were more interesting, but eeeeesh.

Does the balance of this game shift more toward AA-style gameplay pretty soon here, or do I just need to get a walkthrough so I can get past the non-court bullshit ASAP?

Also, are picarats important or do they just unlock extras or something?

Fake edit: At least Maya is back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some really great court cases, although you might be disappointed by the ending. Picarats are basically meaningless, you need them to unlock stuff but I think completing every puzzle guarantees you access to everything regardless of how badly you did (you can only lose a certain amount on each puzzle).

Feel free to look up the solution to puzzles that are annoying you or use hint coins, I found most of the ones in this game trivially easy though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Layton is the biggest dick in all of videogames, he's awesome. He spends his own game leading both the authorities and his own entourage by the nose to a solution he figured out days ago before effortlessly solving all of their problems in the smuggest way possible. If a rival villain shows up he gets a little pissed off because he has to physically exert himself and ruin his jacket's perfect crease.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Professor Layton is my hero.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still don't get why the Layton puzzles are so lame in Layton x AA. Maybe Takumi thought AA fans would get annoyed if they got roadblocked by a puzzle so he made them all super basic so they'd never get stuck? I don't know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, like transplanting ancient chess puzzles isn't lame.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just to give an example of Layton dickery, (miracle mask spoilers) his best friend who appeared to die 18 years ago is alive, brainwashed into a villain. Layton figured this out days ago and didn't tell anyone, also his high school sweetheart is in a sham marriage with his butler, Layton deduces that she had been replaced by a man in disguise a few days ago but leaves it be and says nothing. His only emotion as all this plays out is mild annoyance.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

surf rock posted:

Finally got started on PL vs AA earlier today, and my god, Layton segments are boring as gently caress. I'd played through some of the first Layton game years ago, and I'd forgotten just how tedious it is to solve random, meaningless little puzzles as Generic Gentleman Guy and his Polite Kid Assistant.

I typically blaze through Ace Attorney games over the course of a weekend, but I'm still in chapter 1 of this game because I can't maintain interest in talking with random boring villagers and them asking me to solve a puzzle they apparently had crammed down their pants just in case some random dude and his dorky apprentice wandered by and said hello. It wouldn't be so bad if Layton and Luke were more interesting, but eeeeesh.

Does the balance of this game shift more toward AA-style gameplay pretty soon here, or do I just need to get a walkthrough so I can get past the non-court bullshit ASAP?

Also, are picarats important or do they just unlock extras or something?

Fake edit: At least Maya is back.

Any sections spent with Nick and Maya are worth it and the court sections have a fun new mechanic. Continue playing.

Picarats unlock some meaningless extras when you beat the game like voice samples, so if you're really fussed you can just look up puzzle solutions so they don't get in the way of your Ace Attorney game.

greatn posted:

Just to give an example of Layton dickery, (miracle mask spoilers) his best friend who appeared to die 18 years ago is alive, brainwashed into a villain. Layton figured this out days ago and didn't tell anyone, also his high school sweetheart is in a sham marriage with his butler, Layton deduces that she had been replaced by a man in disguise a few days ago but leaves it be and says nothing. His only emotion as all this plays out is mild annoyance.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for a sense of drama in a story when your face is literally an emoticon with a top hat. :)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I suppose it would be too much to ask for a sense of drama in a story when your face is literally an emoticon with a top hat. :)

To be fair, Unwound Future did manage to get some emotion out of Layton despite being the most insane in the series (or so I hear, I haven't played the prequel trilogy yet). Also is the one where despite proving that time travel is not real, ends with the fact that time travel is totally real.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Professor Layton is my hero.

Me too man

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Allarion posted:

To be fair, Unwound Future did manage to get some emotion out of Layton despite being the most insane in the series

Nah man some of the poo poo that happens in the Last Specter made me kind of outraged. In comparison Unwound Future was bullshit, but TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Volt Catfish posted:

Nah man some of the poo poo that happens in the Last Specter made me kind of outraged. In comparison Unwound Future was bullshit, but TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE?

Well that should be fun to see then. I just started playing Last Specter after finishing PL vs AA, since it had been sitting on my backlog for ages, and I was in the mood for more of Layton's nonsense. So far, it's just been giant ghost wrecking the town, which I've been assuming to be a giant robot since ghosts are clearly bullshit. The one thing I do like about the Layton games is they do have this atmosphere based off this romanticized view of Europe that feels very relaxing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

I thought last specter was pretty tame compared to the other games, as far as the unbelievability of the twists go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I thought last specter was pretty tame compared to the other games, as far as the unbelievability of the twists go.

It was also a bad twist and killed off the series for me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thinking about it, the person who really gets the short end of the poo poo stick in PLvsPW is Jean Greyerl.

Unlike almost everyone else, her beloved master really is dead, and she murdered him because she believed that he was about to expose her as a witch. Except he never had any intention of doing that, and it was all fake and he knew it was all fake. So she tried to murder her master over a false belief that was piled on top of another false belief and the only reason she didn't actually murder him was because he had already committed suicide because of the crushing guilt felt by deceiving all the other townspeople - including Jean Greyerl, because he now sees firsthand a life that was a hair's breadth away from being ruined forever because she believed she was a witch.

Man.

It was expected, yet interesting that ultimately the gameplay of PLvsPW is almost totally bifurcated for almost all of the game; you have the investigation sections which are pure Layton and then the trials sections which are all AA gameplay. That allows you to judge it both as a Layton game and as an AA game.

The Layton sections are nothing special by Layton standards - in fact, most of the puzzles weren't very challenging and I don't recall ever really being stumped in this game whereas I found myself in that position at least two or three times for every other Layton game. It's serviceable, but nothing great.

The AA sections were mostly fantastic. The first three trials are pretty drat great, and I consider The Golden Court not only the best trial in the game, but up there with some of the series' best. They could have gone more with the mod witness mechanic and most of the evidence lists were pretty scanty, but overall it was good and I hope they expand further on the new mechanics in later AA games.

Of course (endgame spoilers)when the two games start to try to merge is also where the weakest portion of the game comes in. The final case manages to combine the interminable nature of fighting Quercus Alba with the 'So am I actually needed here or...' feeling of AA4's final case and that's really not a good thing. Having the requisite Layton twist is one thing, having it drag on... and on... and on... because you have to keep piling on more weird plot details in a (failed) attempt to make the 'magic' of Labyrinthia sound plausible is another. And of course it's almost devoid of real gameplay as you mostly press 'A' or present the completely obvious piece of evidence at the points the game asks you to.

gently caress the final case is bad.

That's from a gameplay standpoint. There's a lot to go into regarding the story, concerning what works and what doesn't, but I feel this post has gone on long enough already. Maybe some other time.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just started the second case of AAI2. All these awkward references to "that person" rather than just "You know who" or something that doesn't sound like something from a bad anime are bugging the poo poo out of me. The translation seems pretty solid other than that though. Are there any rough spots in the translation coming up or is it pretty reasonable throughout?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just started the second case of AAI2. All these awkward references to "that person" rather than just "You know who" or something that doesn't sound like something from a bad anime are bugging the poo poo out of me. The translation seems pretty solid other than that though. Are there any rough spots in the translation coming up or is it pretty reasonable throughout?

Well Case 4 onwards goes a bit overboard in terms of pop culture references but that's par for the course in officially translated AA games too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

Thinking about it, the person who really gets the short end of the poo poo stick in PLvsPW is Jean Greyerl.

Unlike almost everyone else, her beloved master really is dead, and she murdered him because she believed that he was about to expose her as a witch. Except he never had any intention of doing that, and it was all fake and he knew it was all fake. So she tried to murder her master over a false belief that was piled on top of another false belief and the only reason she didn't actually murder him was because he had already committed suicide because of the crushing guilt felt by deceiving all the other townspeople - including Jean Greyerl, because he now sees firsthand a life that was a hair's breadth away from being ruined forever because she believed she was a witch.

Man.

Well remember, Godoor doesn't actually exist and as soon as she cast it her guardian shade rang a bell and took over, putting its hands on the other side of the wall. The shade probably strangled the dead alchemist, because the shade wouldn't be sure what Greyerl's actual intent was, or that the alchemist was the great witches dad, and the shade was probably just going to pretend to kill him anyway and take him to the Eldwitch woods, but as soon as it had its hands around his neck for a few seconds realized he was dead. Greyerl only thought she did this because of a strong suggestion, she was unconscious while the entire thing occurred. She said Godoor, a silver bell was rung and she was knocked out, then she woke up with the letter in hand and her master dead. Her mind filled in the rest, assuming she must have had an out of body experience. Also, really dumb idea giving one witch Godoor and Goldor. Seems like your shades would gently caress it up some time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It seems to me that what happens with Godoor is that when a witch installs the Godoor gem, the shades know to look for any green walls in the vicinity and install movable panels there; when the witch is done with their business, the shades ring the bell and restore the original walls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, case 4 of AAI2 sucks the big one. Let's take a fun, energetic character and turn her into Rei Ayanami, complete with overly wistful music and constant reminders of how helpless and ~moe~ she is.

E: Seriously, look at this. http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/d71opNF.png&v=X2RmtoL_etU

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 14, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Question about the extra/special Dual Destinies case: Does it involve any personal drama with the main characters? Because I'm a sucker for cases that involve the main cast and get really dramatic near the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It does not. However it is a fantastic case and you should play it right now.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Regy Rusty posted:

It does not. However it is a fantastic case and you should play it right now.

The extra DD case is one of the best DLCs I've played; it's a solid standalone case, it fits well with the main story and feels neither mandatory nor unnecessary, and they give you plenty of new characters and animations and even animated cutscenes on par with the main game's most lavish cases. Most DLC feels at least a little bit like they're cutting corners but there's no sign of that in DD's. If you like AA you should definitely play it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Opposing Farce posted:

The extra DD case is one of the best DLCs I've played; it's a solid standalone case, it fits well with the main story and feels neither mandatory nor unnecessary, and they give you plenty of new characters and animations and even animated cutscenes on par with the main game's most lavish cases. Most DLC feels at least a little bit like they're cutting corners but there's no sign of that in DD's. If you like AA you should definitely play it.

Not to be a downer on it, but it honestly seems like a case that was cut from the game at the last minute. Maybe the DLC model allowed to go back and finish it up, who knows?

Still a great case and worth the money.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 15, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like Dual Destinies a lot. Despite it being baby mode for the series, it really manages to capture the heart of what makes Ace Attorney an enjoyable experience, and one thing I think it does better than any other game in the series is that there really is not a single unenjoyable character. They're all fun and good.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I still don't get why the Layton puzzles are so lame in Layton x AA. Maybe Takumi thought AA fans would get annoyed if they got roadblocked by a puzzle so he made them all super basic so they'd never get stuck? I don't know.

Level5 was making Azran Legacy around the same time, right? I wonder if they just used their best puzzles for that and PLvsPW got the scraps

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just finished PWvsPL and wow I don't like this game.

Weak story, unlikable characters, the only plot twists I didn't see coming were extremely dumb and the ending is so obscenely ridden with potholes it might as well all have been Luke's dream.

How did the witches use magic in London? Why did Eve think it was necessary to drag Phoenix to Labyrinthia? How did they hide the entrance to Labyrinthia? How didn't the people just run into the bell tower and the machinery? Why was the Storyteller not okay with blaming Eve for the fire, but totally fine with pinning the blame on Espella? Why are the puzzles so lame? How could he be so immoral as to build an entire society based on the persecution of minorities for the sole purpose of indulging his daughters fantasy? How did Luke learn to drive an invisible crane? How did Luke find that invisible crane? Why did they use the penalty system from the first Ace Attorney? Why didn't they just demolish the bell tower as opposed to hiding it behind an invisible blanket? Also, invisible blankets, seriously? Why were the Shades immune to the sound of silver? What if someone skipped the parade, wouldn't the tranquilizer wear off and they'd remember everything? Why was Phoenix at all involved when Layton clearly knew every answer before Phoenix could even think about it? Why are the puzzles so lame? Why would Phoenix lose credibility should Layton present the wrong piece of evidence? What about Espellas mother, is she seriously not worth bringing her up even once? Did Cantabella never consider doing therapy? Are we really suppose to believe that no one ever went up to someone and said, "Hey, I don't remember my childhood, do you?"? How is the only piece of silver in the previous society a bell? How did they forge it without passing out? How could the town remain out of touch with the rest of Europe for hundreds of years? How does a rackety bell tower survive a fire of that magnitude? Shouldn't a little girl go deaf from hearing a bell that size from immediate proximity? Seriously, why are all the puzzles so underwhelming? Have you seen those stairs at the bottom of the bell tower? They lead into nothing!

Overall, the game ultimately suffers from the fact that Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton don't blend at all on several levels. Phoenix has always been a klutz who manages to defy the odds in more down-to-earth setting, while Layton was always more of a super-intellectual who figures stuff out right away but keeps getting distracted by puzzles in a more whimsical fantasy-setting. Those two combined make for an odd combination where it never feels like Layton and Phoenix are equals and you can never really grasp the situation because the world keeps changing the rules. Yeah, magic doesn't actually exist but a magic gas that makes people believe they live in the 16th century, poisoned water that makes them unconscious when hearing the sound of silver and special paint that no one can see because they were told so in a government-funded experiment totally does. Phoenix even points out on several occasions how unnecessarily contrived every thing is! Ace Attorney always presents you with a case that seems really straightforward but actually turns out to be very contrived, yet rooted firmly in reality. I just can't get invested in the story when the big plot point is "Someone poisoned the waterhole".

tl;dr: Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton don't go well at all for several reasons. Never get this game over Ace Attorney 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

horriblePencilist posted:

Why did Eve think it was necessary to drag Phoenix to Labyrinthia?

She didn't. She admits it was purely by mistake. Doesn't really explain why they were allowed in at all, but...

quote:

Why was the Storyteller not okay with blaming Eve for the fire, but totally fine with pinning the blame on Espella?

He didn't. Eve was behind that, behind his back while he was so busy with writing the story. It's a pretty important part of the plot dump at the end.

All in all I think you have reasonable complaints. I'm not sure how you're okay with like every major plot point of AA3 though.

• Locked thread