Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

deong posted:

Does he seem taller on the show?

I don't know, everyone on TV looks tall. My friend specifically said the internet was full of poo poo and he was no way as tall as it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

LobsterMobster posted:

Is Charlie hobbit-sized?

One of my friends saw Charlie here in Toronto when they were filming Pacific Rim and said he looked tiny. Like, under 5'6".

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll have to conduct an ocular patdown and see if I clock any of these jabronis wearing heels.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Is Charlie hobbit-sized?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The thing about the first season is that it's a perfectly adequate (short) season for a decent enough FX TV show and it would probably be worth revisiting from time to time, but once the rubber hits the road when Danny Devito shows up, there's no looking back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Charlie is extremely pathetic. My parents are still catching up on the show and my mum spends every episode wringing her hands and saying "oh, poor little Charlie!" That's why Frank works so well though, he's the only one who actually plays nice with Charlie and tries to help him when he's getting poo poo on by everybody else.

He is, but then you get to an episode like Charlie and Dee Find Love, and suddenly you see that he at least knows what he's doing, even if it is maybe delusional.

mojo1701a posted:

Hang in there. He'll help you. He'll help you get off.

Are you going to have sex with a tiny Asian boy?

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
The high-functioning Charlie episodes are the best ones. "Frank's Little Beauties" is beyond perfect, as is "The Night Man Commith." It's great, because Dee wants to be in show business yet Charlie is the most talented as far as theater is concerned.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

liquorlanche posted:

The high-functioning Charlie episodes are the best ones. "Frank's Little Beauties" is beyond perfect, as is "The Night Man Commith." It's great, because Dee wants to be in show business yet Charlie is the most talented as far as theater is concerned.

Unfortunately, his songs are always about spiders and ghouls and midnight rapings.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

His song at the end of the Bar Award episode is easily my favorite of Charlie's songs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bobjr posted:

His song at the end of the Bar Award episode is easily my favorite of Charlie's songs.

I don't want your troooooooophies or your gold, I just want to tell you all....

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There is a spider, spider,
He's deep in my soul, soul,
He's lived here for years,
He just won't let go...

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I missed all of the last season and I'll probably miss all of the next one too. Worse, I can't find it on Netflix or on Xfinity. It's like someone out there really hates this show and doesn't want people to see it past season 9.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The trend for shows the last few years is to license the previous season out a month before the new season starts. So sit tight.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know, everyone on TV looks tall. My friend specifically said the internet was full of poo poo and he was no way as tall as it said.

Mac spends time on screen next to Charlie Day AND Danny Devito- of course he's going to look tall.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PittTheElder posted:

There is a spider, spider,
He's deep in my soul, soul,
He's lived here for years,
He just won't let go...

Nightman! Sneaky and mean!
Spider inside my dreams, I think I love you.
You make me want to cry, you make me want to die,
Oh, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, Nightman!
Every night you come into my room, you pin me down with your strong arms
And I try to fight you,
You come inside me,
You fill me up and I become the Nightman!

It's just two men sharing the night!
It might seem wrong, but it's just right!
It's just to men sharing each other
It's just two men like loving brothers.
One on top and one on bottom
One inside and one is out!
One is screaming, he's so happy
The other is screaming a passionate shout!
It's the Nightman
It's feeling so wrong and right, man
It's feeling so wrong and...
I can't fight you man, when you come inside me
You pin you down with your strong hands and I become the night....
The passionate, passionate Nightman

I wrote that entire thing from memory, wtf have I been doing with my life

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 12, 2014

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The single thing I wish they hadn't kept running with is the implied stuff about Charlie's uncle, which is the only joke I've felt is more just sad than funny (also recasts a lot of Charlie's apparently bizarre idiosyncratic hangups into being kind of tragic). Like its one thing to laugh at an illiterate manchild who stalks women, gets manipulated by all his friends and inadvertently writes rape lyrics, but then you tack that poo poo on and it's like "ok too far, now I just feel sorry for the guy" On the other hand, Nightman is funny as gently caress, BUT NOW I FEEL BAD FOR THINKING SO :argh:

Are you implying that Charlie got molested by his uncle? Because I never got that vibe at all. I don't recall it being outright stated, and Charlie always seems to rebuff his uncle. He never wants to hang out with him, and it's because he's creeped out by him. If you want to imagine a show where Charlie was repeatedly abused by his molester uncle, wouldn't he show some weird signs of a victim mentality around him? Maybe act afraid or cagey near him? That's way darker of a show than Sunny ever tries to be. I got the impression that Jack, yes, is a freaky weirdo and probably a pedophile (though, to be fair, he never actually molests anyone. You could easily argue that he's a weirdo who likes wrestling with kids and thinks his hands are too small and like "tasteful, artsy pictures", but they've never had him come outright and say "LET'S gently caress SOME KIDS" and that's obviously intentional.) Sunny is a much more lighthearted romp than that. It's just poking fun at weird people, like Jack and the McPoyles and Artemis. If you really watched a fun, cute episode like The Nightman Cometh and couldn't get it out of your head that Charlie's behavior is apparently entirely the result of molestation from a character not even featured in said episode with no hinting or callbacks to said character at all then I kinda feel sorry for you.

Even me writing this was too far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

quote:

Season 5

After Frank sublets their apartment, forcing Charlie out, he approaches his mother about letting him move in. Bonnie tells him that she has rented his old room to Uncle Jack. Uncle Jack is more than willing to share the room with Charlie, saying that they can "pal around" and "get nuts". Charlie refuses, however, mentioning how Jack "tried to share my room with me when I was a kid", thus making it much more clear that Jack molested Charlie when Charlie was a kid

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Advice posted:

Are you implying that Charlie got molested by his uncle? Because I never got that vibe at all. I don't recall it being outright stated, and Charlie always seems to rebuff his uncle. He never wants to hang out with him, and it's because he's creeped out by him. If you want to imagine a show where Charlie was repeatedly abused by his molester uncle, wouldn't he show some weird signs of a victim mentality around him? Maybe act afraid or cagey near him? That's way darker of a show than Sunny ever tries to be. I got the impression that Jack, yes, is a freaky weirdo and probably a pedophile (though, to be fair, he never actually molests anyone. You could easily argue that he's a weirdo who likes wrestling with kids and thinks his hands are too small and like "tasteful, artsy pictures", but they've never had him come outright and say "LET'S gently caress SOME KIDS" and that's obviously intentional.) Sunny is a much more lighthearted romp than that. It's just poking fun at weird people, like Jack and the McPoyles and Artemis. If you really watched a fun, cute episode like The Nightman Cometh and couldn't get it out of your head that Charlie's behavior is apparently entirely the result of molestation from a character not even featured in said episode with no hinting or callbacks to said character at all then I kinda feel sorry for you.

It is implied that the uncle and charlie have a pretty dark past. Never outright stated, but there was a definite implication.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It is implied that the uncle and charlie have a pretty dark past. Never outright stated, but there was a definite implication.

Now, if Charlie said no, then the answer is obviously no. But he's not gonna say no. Because of the implication.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The whole season 1 finale is about Mac and Charlie (not) getting molested so I don't see where you are coming from thinking that that is "too far".

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
All I know is Fat Mac was the Best Mac. This is all the proof you need.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

PittTheElder posted:

He is, but then you get to an episode like Charlie and Dee Find Love, and suddenly you see that he at least knows what he's doing, even if it is maybe delusional.

Also giving the guy the H box. I feel like you deserve it!

Advice posted:

Yeah, it was
Seriously though that was my exact problem with it, I don't wanna think about that kind of poo poo in a comedy, that's not fun. I think the best evidence for it being too dark even for a comedy where one of the main characters is a literal sex offender is that everyone writing posts about it including me sounds creepy as gently caress and we should stop doing it. More gifs please

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Saw this at the King of Prussia mall today. Which means today was pretty much a win.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rack posted:

Commander Riker loves to party.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Phanatic posted:

Saw this at the King of Prussia mall today. Which means today was pretty much a win.

Cut his break line, WILDCARD BITCHES!

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Also apparently Kaitlin Olson will be guest starring in the new season of New Girl. She better be twisted and dark.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Babygravy posted:

Also apparently Kaitlin Olson will be guest starring in the new season of New Girl. She better be twisted and dark.

and mac is on that mindy show with a lesbian haircut.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Okay, so as far as I can tell you got this from the fan wiki, which is obviously fan run.

Look, I just don't think it happened. Jack "tried to share (his) room as a kid", and was unsuccessful at it by the sound of things. He's just a weird old dude who may or may not be a pedophile, but they had an entire episode revolving around how Charlie was NOT molested by his gym teacher. Do you really think they'd even imply that his uncle molested him instead? And they would never mention it or really even hint to it at all?

I don't know what kind of show you guys want.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It is important that Charlie have been molested because it further positions him as the anti-Dennis. They are both Frank's son and both are as disgusting an individual as Frank but how they are disgusting is orthogonal. Dennis victimizes women, so to maintain the funhouse mirror Charlie is a victim of sexual violence.

See, that's humor right there! Situational irony, man.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

He would spend the whole night awake making sure that Jack wouldn't molest him... At least thats what Charlie says. The implication is there is that Jack tried to molest him, but Charlie wouldn't let him.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Shbobdb posted:

It is important that Charlie have been molested because it further positions him as the anti-Dennis. They are both Frank's son and both are as disgusting an individual as Frank but how they are disgusting is orthogonal. Dennis victimizes women, so to maintain the funhouse mirror Charlie is a victim of sexual violence.

See, that's humor right there! Situational irony, man.

Charlie was very much molested by his uncle.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I hope you all really regret your life choices right now in continuing to post about this, I know I do

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rack posted:

Magic' in the air...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Advice posted:

Do you really think they'd even imply that his uncle molested him instead? And they would never mention it or really even hint to it at all?

I don't know what kind of show you guys want.

They're not explicit about it because it's not funny. It's why the furthest they've gone with Dennis being a sexual predator is the bit about "the implication" in The Gang Buys a Boat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dennis was raped in the first episode of the show.

This is getting pretty dark, guys.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

They're not explicit about it because it's not funny. It's why the furthest they've gone with Dennis being a sexual predator is the bit about "the implication" in The Gang Buys a Boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L041Wq3Tkg

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That's not quite as dark as him pretty much saying he's gonna make the Gang's boat a rape-boat.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's not quite as dark as him pretty much saying he's gonna make the Gang's boat a rape-boat.

If the girl said no then the answer obviously is no, but the thing is she's not gonna say no, she would never say no. Because of the implication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

potee posted:

If the girl said no then the answer obviously is no, but the thing is she's not gonna say no, she would never say no. Because of the implication.

I can't wait to get you ladies out on the open ocean. It's so much more romantic in the middle of nowhere, where we can be completely alone, and you can make rash decisions based on fear. Right, Dennis?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 18, 2014