Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Interstellar orgy-mobile is my new band name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oliver's doing Scottish independence tonight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivisionPost posted:

Oliver's doing Scottish independence tonight.

He should have help from a person who does a comedy show in Scotland every year.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

bobkatt013 posted:

He should have help from a person who does a comedy show in Scotland every year.

This is never gonna happen. Andy has a face for podcasts and he knows it.

Fe: also everyone does fringe it's not like he'll have some special insight. poo poo I'm getting mad at myself for taking this somewhat seriously.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jojoinnit posted:

This is never gonna happen. Andy has a face for podcasts and he knows it.

Fe: also everyone does fringe it's not like he'll have some special insight. poo poo I'm getting mad at myself for taking this somewhat seriously.

I just want an Andy appearance and Scottish related pun run

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bobkatt013 posted:

I just want an Andy appearance and Scottish related pun run

Andy said they'll be doing a proper Bugle soon, so you may be in luck.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The NFL, the FIFA of the United States

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Huuu? What are they all talking about?

Holy poo poo England. I kind of wish American politics was like that. Some loss of civility in congress might help get some poo poo done.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 15, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ugh who cares what happens downstairs

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo England. I kind of wish American politics was like that. Some loss of civility in congress might help get some poo poo done.
Parliament owns, the only rule they have basically is "you can't outright call the other guy a liar"

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 15, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I kind of wan't to watch Brave again.

:stonk: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 15, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We Don't Know What That Is

But It's Not A Selfie

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

HOLY poo poo PAPA JOHNS! :stonk:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The sooner this show goes to one hour a week, the better.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

JT Jag posted:

The sooner this show goes to one hour a week, the better.

I'll take an hour every Sunday but would prefer 30 minutes sunday and Wednesday or something.

I'd stop there though. I definitely don't think I could do 5 days a week. I don't watch the daily show partially for this reason.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Timett posted:

I'll take an hour every Sunday but would prefer 30 minutes sunday and Wednesday or something.

I'd stop there though. I definitely don't think I could do 5 days a week. I don't watch the daily show partially for this reason.
I think the weekly format is great, allows for a lot more long-form reporting. I just don't think half an hour is enough.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wow, the Brits really have dropped the ball on their case to maintain the union, haven't they?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qu7s-Wox0M

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Huuu? What are they all talking about?

They also have organized troll fights like in the aftermath of the queen's speech in which the opposition parties get to roast the dominant party.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fantastic episode. I love that some companies have taken them up on their offer with that hashtag.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gonz posted:

Wow, the Brits really have dropped the ball on their case to maintain the union, haven't they?

Its a mixed bag scenario, partly stemming from how the two sides can't possibly overlap their priorities entirely. The Yes campaign wants to prioritise Scotland, whilst of course the No campaign is looking at how their independence could adversely affect the rest of the UK. So each side has to set things so that the other side doesn't really matter so much, or make a half-assed attempt to somehow claim that the vote - whatever way it goes - won't have any negative consequences whatsoever.

Of course, I'm not exactly in the best position to commentate, given I live in one of the few major urban areas that's actually managed to benefit from Westminster's London-centric economic policies - and that's largely because its close enough to London to not be inconvenient, but far enough out its cheaper for companies to set up branches here. Personally, from a historical and cultural perspective at least, I would prefer for Scotland to stay, but its not exactly hard to see where their various grievances are coming from, with the sheer geographical - and consequently economical - differences. My family kinda wishes that, if the Union were preserved, that there might be some steps to actually create a more federal Great Britain, with the administration of England (and perhaps London as well) devolved away from a government that should be looking out for the entire thing, and not just the sizeable pocket making them the most money. gently caress, move it to an island in the Irish Sea so its at least closer symbolically to being between them all, since we no longer live in an age where instantaneous communication over vast distances is impossible, and the monarchy and/or government no longer has to be within easy range of campaigning a war against whatever European nation we managed to piss off this week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Please tell me in the interests of journalistic honesty John did, in fact, tweet 'u up' to that One Direction kid before the show.

EDIT: Yes, yes he did.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Please tell me in the interests of journalistic honesty John did, in fact, tweet 'u up' to that One Direction kid before the show.

EDIT: Yes, yes he did.

That is one hundred times better than what I expected :allears:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tonight: John Oliver vs. The Miss America Pageant

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I love how this show is unafraid to dive into bullshit no one is talking about.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

hcreight posted:

I love how this show is unafraid to dive into bullshit no one is talking about.

It's really refreshing. I had heard nothing about the Cuba embargo renewal and, while I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call this investigative journalism, it's really nice to see someone calling out bullshit that would otherwise go unmentioned.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It's really refreshing. I had heard nothing about the Cuba embargo renewal and, while I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call this investigative journalism, it's really nice to see someone calling out bullshit that would otherwise go unmentioned.

It really separates John Oliver from his peers. Most people who use this format just react to whatever poo poo is currently most prominent in the headlines or public zeitgeist. When I watch Last Week Tonight, I'm almost always going to learn about a topic I've either never heard of, or take deeper look at something I'm moderately aware of at best.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So Donald Trump is a clown made of mummified foreskin and cotton candy, huh?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Hahah I love that they did actual investigative journalism because they found the Miss America numbers so absurd.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It really separates John Oliver from his peers. Most people who use this format just react to whatever poo poo is currently most prominent in the headlines or public zeitgeist. When I watch Last Week Tonight, I'm almost always going to learn about a topic I've either never heard of, or take deeper look at something I'm moderately aware of at best.

Absolutely. I really thought this show was going to be a sub-par version of the Daily Show that might eventually get good. However after the first episode, Oliver and his crew really grabbed the ball and ran with it. They've really upped the bar in journalism and comedy.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747

Shadoer posted:

Absolutely. I really thought this show was going to be a sub-par version of the Daily Show that might eventually get good. However after the first episode, Oliver and his crew really grabbed the ball and ran with it. They've really upped the bar in journalism and comedy.

3rd'ed. As much as I love The Daily Show, I look forward to LWT more and more every Sunday.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What the gently caress is going on with that Cuba ban? It's seemed unnecessary and unjustifiable for what seems like the majority of the time in which I've been alive.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hey, as long as it means I can go to a nice tropical vacation spot with no Americans around its fine by me. :canada:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

hemophilia posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that Cuba ban? It's seemed unnecessary and unjustifiable for what seems like the majority of the time in which I've been alive.
Florida is a swing state.

Also, I broked the rule of "don't read comments" when it came to their YouTube upload of the Miss America bit. It's 95% /r/mensrights :sigh:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

hemophilia posted:

It seems to still be in place for no other reason than Cuba is still a politically radioactive subject for some people. In theory Obama could tackle it next year once he's officially reached lame duck status but I'm not holding my breath.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I think it helps that Oliver and his crew have the rest of the week to decide, research, and then summarise whatever issue they want, as opposed to going from night to night with maybe a weekend extra to get set up. As a result, whilst he'll use the first half to maybe react to things, the latter segment is clearly planned out and likely well set up before hand, which makes it easier to get songs written, guest stars available, etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hemophilia posted:

Miami-Dade County is where all the Cuban expats that fled Castro are. Until they die off the embargo will never be lifted by democrats because it's believed that they would all turn republican in retaliation and Florida is close enough as is.

It will never be lifted by republicans because lol at them doing anything decent.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Astro Nut posted:

I think it helps that Oliver and his crew have the rest of the week to decide, research, and then summarise whatever issue they want, as opposed to going from night to night with maybe a weekend extra to get set up. As a result, whilst he'll use the first half to maybe react to things, the latter segment is clearly planned out and likely well set up before hand, which makes it easier to get songs written, guest stars available, etc.

Oliver was saying they were researching the Miss America thing well into the eleventh hour, though. Could be the numbers in this case were that impenetrable, but I don't think they put the full week's time into it. That said, I don't think they could do this four nights a week either.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

hcreight posted:

It seems to still be in place for no other reason than Cuba is still a politically radioactive subject for some people. In theory Obama could tackle it next year once he's officially reached lame duck status but I'm not holding my breath.
Let's not forget the last Democrat's lame duck period, when Clinton "gave" Elián González back to Cuba; which ended being one of the thousands of attributed reasons why Gore barely lost Florida. Even if it's not true, the whole "Gore lost because angry anti-Castro Cubans" meme became a potent one in a swing state that sadly still sways too much power in national politics and policy.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah I don't pretend to know anything about Cuban/American politics, but I've been to Cuba and seeing the people there, especially in the rural areas, having trouble accessing basic goods, when they're just off the coast of the richest country in the world, that was heartbreaking. The embargo seemed like a huge weight on everybody's lives there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oliver was saying they were researching the Miss America thing well into the eleventh hour, though. Could be the numbers in this case were that impenetrable, but I don't think they put the full week's time into it. That said, I don't think they could do this four nights a week either.

Oh, I don't imagine they use the full time, but its like, they've got the first few days to mull over to themselves just what they might wanna look into, and then spend maybe several days before the show doing the research. As to the research for this being right up to the last minute, I think they just had no idea how deep the rabbit hole went.

• Locked thread