Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

leica posted:

But you're defeating the purpose of leaving the doors unlocked if you lock the glove box and console, they are obviously going to think there's something valuable in there and break them open, it doesn't take much.

If I leave something visible from outside the car, an unlocked door prevents a broken window or a cut top. Obviously the other two locks aren't very high security, but they're something, and much cheaper to replace than a new top. Otherwise why lock any car ever? Someone who thinks there's something inside will always be able to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Insurance often will refuse to pay out if you left your car unlocked and an incident occurs. Best not to mention it to them while filing a claim. Also I heard somewhere that if you roll up the windows and lock the doors but leave the top down, then the car is considered 'secure'.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Who keeps full coverage on an NA? I guess you guys crash a lot.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Elephanthead posted:

I do. It's $30 a month and pays out 1.5k more than I paid for the thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Comprehensive coverage != full coverage. It's like $20/half for me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elephanthead posted:

Comprehensive coverage is great, bought me a new top when somebody slashed it because I didn't leave my doors unlocked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viper915 posted:

If I leave something visible from outside the car, an unlocked door prevents a broken window or a cut top. Obviously the other two locks aren't very high security, but they're something, and much cheaper to replace than a new top. Otherwise why lock any car ever? Someone who thinks there's something inside will always be able to get it.

If you don't leave anything of value in your Miata, then you don't have to lock anything and nothing will get broken/cut. Has worked for me so far, although I had to learn the hard way with my first Miata just like you did.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're not carrying someone, take out the passenger seat. No one breaks into a car missing a seat when they have the option of breaking into another car with all of its seats. It's only 4 bolts and saves you ~30 pounds too.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

leica posted:

I try to harp on this a lot, but some people just don't get it. They are shocked when I tell them I never lock my car. Just don't leave anything in it, it's pretty simple.

Well if you live in an urban area you will wake up one morning to find a bum's steamy poo poo on your seat. It's rare that somebody will cut a convertible top to take a dump, but they'll certainly open an unlocked door.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Urban areas scare me, I once found a note asking me to not park cars costing less then 50K outside as it made property values decline in my posh suburban ideological wasteland. I now hide my shame inside the garage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Well if you live in an urban area you will wake up one morning to find a bum's steamy poo poo on your seat. It's rare that somebody will cut a convertible top to take a dump, but they'll certainly open an unlocked door.

I'd just put fake poop on the seat to deter another pooping. Fake puke also for good measure.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elephanthead posted:

Urban areas scare me, I once found a note asking me to not park cars costing less then 50K outside as it made property values decline in my posh suburban ideological wasteland. I now hide my shame inside the garage.

Must it have cost $50k when new, or currently be worth more than $50k? This sounds like an awesome HOA rule.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Twerk from Home posted:

Must it have cost $50k when new, or currently be worth more than $50k? This sounds like an awesome HOA rule.

If the value is determined only by original retail price are you allowed to use inflation-adjusted dollars?

I've lived in a condo and dealing with a strata is bad enough, I can't imagine putting up with a HOA.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Hog Obituary posted:

This is why I lock my doors. I used to not, but then I found used condoms and empty dime bags inside one morning. Only I get to party that hard inside my car, no one else.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's disgusting. Where do you live with bums like that? Our bums are civilized.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I wish it were bums. No, I live in a middle-class suburban town with a lot of retirees and their kids. Because it's mostly older folk around here, there's not much going on so the kids are bored. That's a bad combination.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"Hey check out this Miata, it's not locked! Lets get inside it and fu...Oh wait nevermind there's not enough room to masturbate in there."

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Horny teenager whose girlfriend has agreed to smoke weed and then gently caress inside a stranger's car. I'm not condoning anything, but if I were him I'd make it happen no matter the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's physically impossible to have sex in a Miata unless you're both 5' 130 pounds even then it would be difficult.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

revmoo posted:

Insurance often will refuse to pay out if you left your car unlocked and an incident occurs.

This isn't a thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

leica posted:

It's physically impossible to have sex in a Miata unless you're both 5' 130 pounds even then it would be difficult.

I have full faith in the ability of two horny teenagers to Make. It. Happen. no matter the cost. Specially if it is in a culture desert suburb.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

This isn't a thing.

I said this last time this came up, it varies.

Mine explicitly says that leaving your car locked (and top up, and windows up) is due care. I haven't had to make a claim where it'd be relevant but it's loving insurance, their business is all about avoiding paying.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Edmund Honda posted:

I said this last time this came up, it varies.

Mine explicitly says that leaving your car locked (and top up, and windows up) is due care. I haven't had to make a claim where it'd be relevant but it's loving insurance, their business is all about avoiding paying.

The business isn't about not paying because doing that makes you wind up paying more when people attorney rep. The standard ISO contract doesn't have anything around this and I haven't seen anything for a major company that would preclude coverage.

What country and company?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fuckin' lol if you ain't using the rollbar for leverage.

Track supremacy reigns, again.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
:siren: ND RUMORMILL :siren:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/12/aussie-mazda-mx-5-miata-specs-leak-suggests-power-loss/

quote:

Motoring.com sources indicate that a 1.5-liter Skyactiv four-cylinder will nestle low in the ND's engine bay, with a rating of just 96 kW – that's 129 horsepower, a 13-percent drop in power over the Aussie-spec 2.0-liter four in the current Miata. Torque figures were apparently not disclosed by their source, but the publication expects the torque figure to come in above the 144 Nm (106 pound-feet) of the top-spec 1.5-liter four in the forthcoming Mazda2.

Countering that apparent shortfall is the car's hotly anticipated drop in weight. The ADM MX-5 is said to weigh 1,020 kilograms – that's just under 2,250 pounds – meaning Mazda would make good on its claimed 100-kg (220-pound) diet for the car.

Hahaha, those power numbers would be amazing if true (but they are probably not true... right? :ohdear: )

e: although I assume that compares with the 1.8L or whatever they have in the lower-spec NC right now

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 13, 2014

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hog Obituary posted:

:siren: ND RUMORMILL :siren:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/12/aussie-mazda-mx-5-miata-specs-leak-suggests-power-loss/

Hahaha, those power numbers would be amazing if true (but they are probably not true... right? :ohdear: )

e: although I assume that compares with the 1.8L or whatever they have in the lower-spec NC right now

Every ND thread would be the BRZ/FRS thread if that were true :qq: needs 30-50 HP :qq:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They better figure out a way to stick the 2.5L Skyactiv in the car with some tweaked engine tuning, or its gonna be a sad day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's going to be the 2.0L making between 160-165hp and, more importantly, 155+ ft-lbs of torque.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phone posted:

It's going to be the 2.0L making between 160-165hp and, more importantly, 155+ ft-lbs of torque.

The US Miata will get the 2.0 as the base engine. ROW will get a smaller base engine with the 2.0 as an upgrade. Same as it ever was.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PeterWeller posted:

The US Miata will get the 2.0 as the base engine. ROW will get a smaller base engine with the 2.0 as an upgrade. Same as it ever was.

USA gets the good stuff, while the ROW gets screwed. As it should be. :911:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ROW can take advantage of the lower weight, fatass Americans need a larger engine to get the same effect. :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Passenger seat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nodoze posted:

Passenger seat

Either seat if you have the top down and a roll bar. :ssh:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cakefool posted:

ROW can take advantage of the lower weight, fatass Americans need a larger engine to get the same effect. :colbert:

Take your underpowered car excuses to the Toyobaru thread. :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm enjoying the amount of angst displacement is causing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

meatpimp posted:

Either seat if you have the top down and a roll bar. :ssh:

I don't have a roll bar in my S2K :(

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm enjoying the amount of angst displacement is causing.

I maintain than 200hp would be enough for this car if it were delivered from a good engine and not the lovely Subaru boxer it's saddled with.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's spreading...

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Why would you want a new miata anyway? They made hundreds of thousands of proper ones from 1990 to 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The ND will be the best Miata yet in literally every way and I feel confident in saying this despite not even knowing the final specs let alone having driven one.

Sometimes the grognards are right, most of the time they aren't.