Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boco_T posted:

What's the count of creatures and spells in your deck, do you have enough targeting spells that Phalanx Leader does good work?

I think Wb might be viable, but I mostly went with red as the first color to try because the mana base is lousy with CIPT lands and I saw the 3-drop choices between the 2R Rabblemaster and the 1BB of Herald/Master, not to mention like Lightning Strike/Stoke vs. Downfall in terms of removal.

Some of the new mechanics seem tempting towards 3-color aggro but that forces you into even more taplands. I wanted to stick with major single color (20 sources for 90% chance at on-curve WW) and minor second color (14 sources for 90% chance at turn 1 R) and still able to only have 4 tapped lands out of 23 in the deck.

I do like your idea of Frenzied Goblin though, because as a late-game top deck it's at least a Blinding Flare vs. Satyr being all drawback. It also makes me so sad to be reminded that both Seismic Stomp and Brave the Elements are leaving so I really hope we get something in Khans that ends up being an "all your dudes can sneak through this turn" card. That was actually also why I put the Iroas in, I think that specific Madcap Skills text on the card is the most important part for this deck to be able to push the final damage through.

And also looking for something in Khans that is an "all your dudes survive Anger/Drown."

Good stuff from the spoilers for these decks we've been brewing:

Feat of Resistance
Icy Blast (for my UW Daxos version)
Stubborn Denial (same)
Arc Lightning to clear the way
Ashcloud Phoenix (if the mana can handle RR, I've been focusing heavily on base white and also cutting off at 3 mana)
Monastery Swiftspear (in place of Firedrinker Satyr...really good in the Anax/Phalanx Leader build with lots of combat tricks)
Erase (at least for sideboard, I'd just love to say gently caress you to Coursers and Rams for one mana, they're quite annoying in testing right now)
War-Name Aspirant
Butcher of the Horde if we want to splash black
Deflecting Palm
Mantis Rider is cute but greedy
Mardu Ascendancy is equally greedy but much stronger
Ride Down is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I want to try to make room for Valley Dasher but if I'm doing the tricks version it probably doesn't beat out Phalanx Leader, War-Name Aspirant, and Akroan Hoplite. Swiftspear is definitely in. Now that I have the set list I'm probably going to make a "start here 75" and order some cards tonight.

Oh, and 2-of Trumpet Blast for sure.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boco_T posted:

I want to try to make room for Valley Dasher but if I'm doing the tricks version it probably doesn't beat out Phalanx Leader, War-Name Aspirant, and Akroan Hoplite. Swiftspear is definitely in. Now that I have the set list I'm probably going to make a "start here 75" and order some cards tonight.

Oh, and 2-of Trumpet Blast for sure.

Agreed. I'll hopefully have two starting-point lists this weekend now that I have the entire card pool to look over (for the WR and UW versions....I will show the world how awesome Daxos is!).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So now all of khans is here, time to brew RUG Monsters!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-09-14-cQg-rug-monsters/

Land (24)
4x Forest
4x Frontier Bivouac
2x Mana Confluence
2x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Yavimaya Coast
Planeswalker (5)
3x Nissa, Worldwaker
2x Xenagos, The Reveler
Creature (22)
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Polukranos, World Eater
4x Savage Knuckleblade
3x Stormbreath Dragon
3x Surrak Dragonclaw
4x Sylvan Caryatid
Instant (6)
3x Disdainful Stroke
3x Temur Charm
Sorcery (3)
3x Anger of the Gods
Sideboard (15)
2x AEtherspouts
1x Anger of the Gods
2x Bow of Nylea
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Phyrexian Revoker
3x Stubborn Denial

Several notable inclusions/exclusions here.

Mainboarding Anger of the Gods- I predict Mardu Aggro/Rabble Red/Suicide Black being very prevalent in a meta with a 5 mana, counterable wrath and have 3 ways of removing this threat is very useful and the deck is built around not being blown out myself (only mana dork gets hit/satyrs get hit), this may change depending on the meta reacts, but usually early on aggro decks try to dominate the format, it also completely destroys the usability of Gravecrawler 2.0.

No Rattleclaw Mystic/Elvish Mystic- The first reason, though not the most important is that they get obliterated by anger of the gods which is a 3 of and important card in the deck, the main reason is this is not looking to be a ramp deck, it is more a midrange deck with tempo elements and there is no ramping to some huge creature, but dumping the board with huge threats and trying to be bigger than the other midrange decks who are trying to do something similar, also I don't think rattleclaw mystic is very good anyway in my opinion. Caryatid is better, if you want to go explosive ramp generator servant is very similar and provides haste also.

In terms of Elvish Mystic, that one I am probably wrong about, Elvish Mystic is a very good card but I would like to try it without so many mana dorks just because they are so bad late game.

Disdainful Stroke over Dissolve- I think Disdainful Stroke is more flexible than Dissolve. Why? First, obviously it's 2 mana. There are only a very few cards in midrange decks which are 3 mana or less and aggro matchups are already good with caryatid/courser anyway and having 3 anger also helps with this, so having a 2 mana and a 3 mana answer (temur charm) to any big threat is great when it's the midrange mirror. I added Stubborn Denial for the control match-up just in case that also becomes a deck.

Savage Knuckleblade or Goblin Rabblemaster- This is why they are in the sideboard, I am very conflicted on which card is better. In terms of creature/creature match up, Knuckleblade seems to be better but in more control match ups, the instant threat of rabblemaster was amazing and knuckleblade didn't do enough to really do anything until they had removal for it and I would want to tap out constantly, so leaving mana up to bounce him was very difficult.

Possible Inclusions that I have thought so far-

Deathtouch/Trample Combo- Adding Bow of Nylea to the mainboard and add Nylea, God as a one of.- I have thought of adding a lot of deathtouch mechanics to the deck with bow of nylea and using temur charm with the fight skill to kill bigger midrange threats and the fact that Surrak gives everyone trample is a very big addition to the card- Facing a 5/5 or 4/4 trample/deathtoucher is very hard to go against when the board is blocked up caryatid/courser all the time.

Delve?- I also tempted to add some See the Unwritten and a few delve cards like the draw cards one to provide some use of the graveyard. Maybe that is a little too durdly for what this deck is trying to do which is beat face, but it always helps to have card advantage.

Problems with the deck-
Land Base- So many lands in this format now! What to use in a 3 colour deck? It's very challenging to try and construct a usable mana base for something which uses so many mana symbols.

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 13, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I'm having similar mana puzzles to solve. The big issue is that the meta will dictate the lands that are playable, and we don't have any of that information just yet. In a slower format, the tapped wedge-lands become playable. In a ridiculously fast format where you need to move even faster, doing three color that way is suicide, it's better to hemorrhage life through Mana Confluence and every painland in your colors to avoid coming in tapped because you're going to die anyway. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the middle, kind of like how Selesnya was forced to play a couple guildgates for the longest time....except with every color combination, not just one getting shafted this time.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I am leaning towards making an Abzan control (Rock-esque) for Standard ... and here's some ideas I am throwing around. Any thoughts?

4x Thoughtseize
?x Hero’s Downfall
?x Abzan Charm
?x Utter End
1x Duneblast

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Carytid
?x Siege Rhino?

2x Elspeth, Sun’s Champion
?x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

?x Caves of Koilos
?x Temple of Malady
?x Temple of Plenty
?x Temple of Silence
?x Fetchlands
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

I want it to be controlly, with some specific finishers in planeswalkers ... or some beatsticks. I feel the Rhino might help being an easily cast big butt with some lifegain... though who knows. The lands are ?s at this point due to the math behind them. I don't even know if I would want fetches in them ... The urborg is a thought on manafixing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Since you can play Reaper of the Wild, I think you should play Reaper of the Wild. Duneblast works well with it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

En Fuego posted:

I am leaning towards making an Abzan control (Rock-esque) for Standard ... and here's some ideas I am throwing around. Any thoughts?

4x Thoughtseize
?x Hero’s Downfall
?x Abzan Charm
?x Utter End
1x Duneblast

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Carytid
?x Siege Rhino?

?x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

?x Caves of Koilos
?x Temple of Malady
?x Temple of Plenty
?x Temple of Silence
?x Fetchlands

I want it to be controlly, with some specific finishers in planeswalkers ... or some beatsticks. I feel the Rhino might help being an easily cast big butt with some lifegain... though who knows. The lands are ?s at this point due to the math behind them. I don't even know if I would want fetches in them ... The urborg is a thought on manafixing.

I've been trying to make a good looking post-rotation Abzan/Junk list in a similar vein. I think Siege Rhino looks really awesome for that shell, being a respectable power and toughness and having a not-insignificant drain and gain effect. Every list I've made basically auto-includes a playset at this point. The other creature that I think is going to be really usable in anything with G/B in it is Reaper of the Wilds. In a deck where you're basically trying to replace a handful of pesky cards that have crazy value when standing on their own, I feel like she fits the bill pretty well. I also like the idea of both Ajanis along with Anafenza, and like you listed the Abzan Charm. That's all good stuff that doesn't lean into +1/+1 counters as an overarching theme for the deck, but still hands them out pretty frequently as an incidental bonus. When looking for the top end, both Wingmate Roc and Indulgent Tormentor are what spring to mind, and maybe even High Sentinels of Arashin. Whip of Erebos might have a place mainboard, seeing as a whipped back Roc could potentially leave behind a token if you find that more suitable to the board state than attacking with it, and a whipped Rhino is pretty straightforward as well. Or, you could very well lean into a few more cheap black permanents and still run Grey Merchant as a top end; I can easily see Siege Rhinos and Grey Merchants hitting the board and being whipped back rapid fire doing a lot of direct damage a lot faster than people expect.

So for what it's worth, I think that covers what I feel like are a lot of the standout cards for GWB in Khans standard.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I had forgotten about Reaper. I do like her, as well! Thanks guys. It's filling out to be fun on paper at the very least.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Guess it's time to bite the bullet. I started doing drafts to get back into the game a few weeks ago, and I decided if I was having fun I'd spend money to get cards I need to throw a standard deck together for the Khans rotation, and here we are. I was hoping I could get advice on a "shell" of a deck coming from Theros-M15 that could be completed with Khans that would get me started with standard.

What I have so far: not much, mainly just what I've pulled from drafting and prizes. Two Chords of Calling, a Mana Confluence, that haste/prot white Dragon from Theros. I also have stuff from the Clash pack and picked up a set of Rabblemasters when they were cheap, though I'm certainly not beholden to play with them. Also have two Indulgent Tormenters, though I don't know if those guys are relevant in Standard or not.

What I like: I'd prefer to stay away from Black if possible, just because I don't particularly enjoy playing Black. Typically I'm more of a White/Blue guy I guess.

Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to sink some money to get started into this but I'd prefer to avoid, like, playsets of $30 Elspeths and crap if possible.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

En Fuego posted:

4x Thoughtseize
?x Hero’s Downfall
?x Abzan Charm
?x Utter End
1x Duneblast

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Carytid
?x Siege Rhino?

?x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

?x Caves of Koilos
?x Temple of Malady
?x Temple of Plenty
?x Temple of Silence
?x Fetchlands

I've been trying to brew up something very similar to this. For white I was trying to think if banishing light would be worth it in the main or just the sideboard. I also want to have a Garruk or two if at all possible because he's cool and I've always been a bit of a Timmy anyway.

Another cars I was toying with is nyx weaver as a form of pseudo card draw along with enabling delve a little better if murderous cut is something to use.

Any advice or criticism is welcome since I'm not very good at brewing on my own.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Made a tentative Jeskai deck with lots of instants for prowess triggers. Tested it on Cockatrice last night, it's not too great but it is substantially more powerful if you can get the right curve to land an Ascendancy on turn 3. Maybe more consistency could make it Standard-worthy? Feel free to take the list and run with it if anybody is interested. Dragon-style seems like a bad curve topper, as an additional thought. 3 toughness for 5 mana without haste just ain't cutting it in a world with Lightning Strikes and lots of cheap Sorcery-speed removal.

quote:

2 Bloodfire Expert
2 Dragon-Style Twins
2 Jeskai Elder
2 Jeskai Student
3 Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Winterflame
2 Bident of Thassa
3 Lightning Strike
4 Mystic Monastery
2 Flooded Strand
2 Temple of Triumph
4 Temple of Epiphany
2 Island
2 Plains
4 Mana Confluence
3 Voyage's End
4 Icy Blast
1 Quiet Contemplation
4 Mountain
SB: 3 Erase
SB: 3 Dissolve
SB: 4 Aerial Formation
SB: 1 Quiet Contemplation
SB: 3 Arc Lightning
SB: 1 Jeskai Ascendancy

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

DarkRider09 posted:

I've been trying to brew up something very similar to this. For white I was trying to think if banishing light would be worth it in the main or just the sideboard. I also want to have a Garruk or two if at all possible because he's cool and I've always been a bit of a Timmy anyway.

Another cars I was toying with is nyx weaver as a form of pseudo card draw along with enabling delve a little better if murderous cut is something to use.

Any advice or criticism is welcome since I'm not very good at brewing on my own.

I was thinking of Murderous Cut, but with Hero's Downfall still in, I'm okay with the BB for the cost. Maybe do a split of 3/1 HD/MC but not positive.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I am a new player and decided to make a budget deck based off of something I found on MTG salvation.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-09-14-affordable-aggro/

The sideboard is really still a WIP. I plan to switch out Hoarding dragon with dragon-style swins once Khans comes out.

Opinions?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

YorexTheMad posted:

Guess it's time to bite the bullet. I started doing drafts to get back into the game a few weeks ago, and I decided if I was having fun I'd spend money to get cards I need to throw a standard deck together for the Khans rotation, and here we are. I was hoping I could get advice on a "shell" of a deck coming from Theros-M15 that could be completed with Khans that would get me started with standard.

What I have so far: not much, mainly just what I've pulled from drafting and prizes. Two Chords of Calling, a Mana Confluence, that haste/prot white Dragon from Theros. I also have stuff from the Clash pack and picked up a set of Rabblemasters when they were cheap, though I'm certainly not beholden to play with them. Also have two Indulgent Tormenters, though I don't know if those guys are relevant in Standard or not.

What I like: I'd prefer to stay away from Black if possible, just because I don't particularly enjoy playing Black. Typically I'm more of a White/Blue guy I guess.

Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to sink some money to get started into this but I'd prefer to avoid, like, playsets of $30 Elspeths and crap if possible.

One problem is that unfortunately a lot of the shells that are going to carry over from the current standard will still be pretty pricy. In terms of standout cards, there's a lot of obvious stuff for green, red and black, but as far as blue and white go I feel like it's a little less cut and dry, particularly blue. A lot of people are in the preparatory mode for rotation which is driving up the price of the perceived staples even more.

I think probably the best thing to do to get a better sense of what to focus on would be to check out the most prominent decks in standard right now and decide what looks appealing, and then from there you can figure out how much of the framework of the deck will remain legal while also figuring out what new cards card fill the gaps or tweak the deck. With where things stand right now the obvious decks that will get made post-rotation are Jund monsters rejiggered into Temur monsters, red aggro with maybe a dash of other colors, Abzan midrange like what was just being discussed, mono green devotion, and maybe a couple others that aren't immediately springing to mind.

But, like I initially said, since everybody's of a similar mindset right now all of these shells will run you a decent amount of money.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Xeom posted:

So I am a new player and decided to make a budget deck based off of something I found on MTG salvation.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-09-14-affordable-aggro/

The sideboard is really still a WIP. I plan to switch out Hoarding dragon with dragon-style swins once Khans comes out.

Opinions?
You're not ever going to cast a 5-drop on 20 lands, and planning to rely on your 4 Generator Servants to power your 4 5-drops isn't really a good plan. For mono-red aggro, I think you probably want something like this post-rotation:

4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Frenzied Goblin
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 War-Name Aspirant
4 Borderland Marauder
3 Valley Dasher

4 Titan's Strength
4 Lightning Strike
2 Hordeling Outburst
2 Trumpet Blast
1 Hall of Triumph

22 Mountain

SB
Harness by Force
Searing Blood
Magma Spray
Scouring Sands maybe if Tokens is a deck

And then if you want the deck to be way way better at the cost of $10 per card, shave first the Hordeling and then the Valley Dasher and work your way up to 4 Goblin Rabblemasters.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
First brew for new Standard. I have it sleeved up and ready to test after dinner, so it will probably change, but I think this might be unexpected enough to steal games early in the format when no one will think to have Back to Nature in their 75.

Graveyard Enchantments

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Nighthowler
4 Herald of Torment
4 Master of the Feast
4 Boon Satyr
2 Pharika, God of Affliction
4 Nemesis of Mortals

4 Commune with the Gods
4 Kruphix's Insight
3 Murderous Cut
2 Hero's Downfall

4 Temple of Malady
4 Llanowar Wastes
6 Forest
7 Swamp

Sideboard:

2 Erebos
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Brain Maggot
2 Nyx Weaver
3 Bile Blight
2 Drown in Sorrow

I basically looked at cards to fill your graveyard for Delve to see what sort of synergies I might find, and I came across Kruphix's Insight. I thought sticking to purely Enchantment Creatures makes that card ridiculous (3 mana: Draw 2-3, add 2-3 to the graveyard, in most cases). Along with Commune with the Gods, that's enough to encourage me toward a graveyard-matters-all-enchantments core.

From there I obviously looked to Nighthowler, which led me to Herald of Torment and Master of the Feast right next to it in my binder. With Boon Satyr on my brain, I thought enabling Pharika would be easy enough, along with her ability to make more use of my graveyard.

With graveyard contents being relevant, I moved away from Delve, but this is the perfect deck to support Murderous Cut as "B: Kill something".

I have no idea how it will play out, but it was an interesting idea I'm playing with that's a little different from the usual Constellation approach. It's obviously very weak to Back to Nature, but at least at first I don't see that being all over the place (definitely not main). Bestow gives a lot of resilience, too, EXCEPT against that card.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
With wedges coming out, I figure it's about time I get on the Shard train with a grixis control deck, trying to smash Goblinslide, Quiet Contemplation, and Thoughtseize together.

Initial maindeck list:

4 Thoughtseize
4 hero's Downfall
4 Divination
4 Lightning Strike
3 Quiet Contemplation
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Clever Impersonator
2 Whelming Wave
2 Bile Blight
2 Goblinslide
1 Read the Bones
1 Liliana Vess

26 Lands, definitely including Urborg, some Scrylands and Painlands, not sure if I want Mana Confluence.

The Bile Blights might be better off as more burn spells (probably Magma Jets) if I find there's enough creature-light decks out there to warrant wanting spells that can go to the dome on an empty board, but right now I'm guessing I won't see much of that, and the two-for-one potential of Blight is hard to resist. It does kinda suck not getting a charm with a shard, but I'm hoping that cards like Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall, and Clever Impersonator are versatile enough to make up for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How about just two colors instead of trying to be greedy with questionable mana bases? I feel like a deck that 1-for-1s reliably until it can slam a scary win condition like Elspeth could do well when people are trying out all sorts of wacky new 3-color decks.

Deck: WB 1-for-1s

//SPELLS
4 Thoughtseize
4 Despise
2 Bile Blight
4 Utter End
2 Murderous Cut
4 Read the Bones

//CREATURES
2 Herald of Anafenza
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Wingmate Roc

//PLANESWALKERS
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//LANDS
4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
8 Swamp
7 Plains

Display deck statistics

Am I wrong to think creature decks are going to be popular enough that 4 main-deck Despise is worth it?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

How about just two colors instead of trying to be greedy with questionable mana bases? I feel like a deck that 1-for-1s reliably until it can slam a scary win condition like Elspeth could do well when people are trying out all sorts of wacky new 3-color decks.

Deck: WB 1-for-1s

//SPELLS
4 Thoughtseize
4 Despise
2 Bile Blight
4 Utter End
2 Murderous Cut
4 Read the Bones

//CREATURES
2 Herald of Anafenza
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Wingmate Roc

//PLANESWALKERS
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//LANDS
4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
8 Swamp
7 Plains

Display deck statistics

Am I wrong to think creature decks are going to be popular enough that 4 main-deck Despise is worth it?

I don't think anyone expects to see Burn or low-creature Control for a bit, and Jund Walkers survives rotation almost untouched. Doesn't seem any worse than dead removal against those decks previously.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 14, 2014

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
This is what I am looking at. The manacurve sticks hard at 3-4 and seems to be able to handle early aggro. Of course I won't know til I lose a lot with it.

4x Thoughtseize
3x Hero’s Downfall
4x Abzan Charm
3x Utter End
1x Duneblast

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Carytid
4x Siege Rhino
4x Reaper of the Wilds

3x Elspeth, Sun’s Champion
2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

3x Caves of Koilos
3x Llanowar Wastes
4x Temple of Malady
2x Temple of Plenty
2x Temple of Silence
4x Windswept Heath
1x Swamp
2x Plains
2x Forest

Duneblast is a "cute" choice, but I feel it can be the way to clear a path for a win. My question, are there any worthwhile Artifacts to use in the MD or SB? I was thinking 2 Perilous Vaults in the SB for a catch-all... but I am not even sure on that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Another brew that has been performing very strong in testing:

Deck: Simic Shenanigans

//Lands
8 Forest
4 Island
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Chord of Calling
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Polymorphist's Jest
3 Setessan Tactics
2 Ætherspouts

//Creatures
3 Arbor Colossus
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Prognostic Sphinx
3 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Chord of Calling
3 Icy Blast
3 Omenspeaker
1 Setessan Tactics
2 Bow of Nylea
3 Disdainful Stroke
2 Clever Impersonator

Display deck statistics

The maindeck didn't benefit terribly much from the new set because I didn't want to go over into three colors, but with aggro being inevitably all over the place, Aetherspouts and Polymorphist's Jest are doing lots of work in testing with those matchups while also stealing games in the mirror.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm building a deck that's mostly a known quantity going into Khans - Jeskai control centered on Elspeth and Keranos.

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Flooded Strand
4 Mountain
3 Island
3 Plains

4 Magma Spray
4 Banishing Light
4 Dissolve
4 Anger of the Gods
4 End Hostilities
4 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Pillar of Light
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Keranos, God of Storms

The only noticeable things I can think of are the Pillar of Light; I think it's actually a really strong piece of removal in the new standard. It exiles Courser, Polukranos, Savage Knuckleblade, Butcher of the Horde and active Gods. I think the only Construced playable things that dodge both it and Anger of the Gods are Sagu Mauler and Prognostic Sphinx.

e: Regarding UG Monsters, I think Sagu Mauler is an incredible threat that needs to be in that deck; hexproof on a body that large is borderline unkillable. End Hostilities, Fated Retribution and Elspeth's -3 are the only playable things I can think of that catch it. Heck, he even dodges Ashiok's first +1, since he costs 6!

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Here's an Abzan idea that I was looking at (and which seems very popular among brewers so far)

Deck: Abzan Rhino Midrange

//Lands
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Forest
3 Llanowar Wastes
4 Mana Confluence
2 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
3 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Abzan Charm
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Anafenza the Foremost
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Wingmate Roc

//Sideboard
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Utter End
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
2 Drown in Sorrow
2 Erase
3 Mistcutter Hydra

Display deck statistics

ungulateman posted:

I'm building a deck that's mostly a known quantity going into Khans - Jeskai control centered on Elspeth and Keranos.

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Flooded Strand
4 Mountain
3 Island
3 Plains

4 Magma Spray
4 Banishing Light
4 Dissolve
4 Anger of the Gods
4 End Hostilities
4 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Pillar of Light
2 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Keranos, God of Storms

The only noticeable things I can think of are the Pillar of Light; I think it's actually a really strong piece of removal in the new standard. It exiles Courser, Polukranos, Savage Knuckleblade, Butcher of the Horde and active Gods. I think the only Construced playable things that dodge both it and Anger of the Gods are Sagu Mauler and Prognostic Sphinx.

e: Regarding UG Monsters, I think Sagu Mauler is an incredible threat that needs to be in that deck; hexproof on a body that large is borderline unkillable. End Hostilities, Fated Retribution and Elspeth's -3 are the only playable things I can think of that catch it. Heck, he even dodges Ashiok's first +1, since he costs 6!

Why Jace's Ingenuity instead of Dig Through Time? You have fetches and a ton of instants and counters to fill your yard up. You get less cards, but you also get to filter which cards they are.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 15, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I think abzan having caryatid and courser might give it an edge over mardu in a 3 color environment, but I still want to try a mardu midrange so here goes:

4x Butcher of the Horde
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Soldier of the Pantheon

4x Thoughtseize
4x Utter End
4x Banishing Light
2x Murderous Cut

3x Ajani Steadfast
3x Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker

24 Lands

Have a few ideas regarding the manabase. Is 8 scrylands too many? Definitely 4 bloodstained mires and mana confluence, and some mix of painlands and basics, with one urborg. Haven't decided on a sideboard yet, probably some appropriate mix of despise, mardu ascendancy for control decks, maybe some other spot removal?

Basically I just want to abuse the synergy that Butcher has with rabblemaster and champion, Ajani steadfast would be gross combined with rabblemaster, demon, or sarkhan. Banishing light and utter end give unconditional removal, and Thoughtseize is Thoughtseize. Open to suggestions.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ungulateman posted:

THAT was the card! I was just saying to my girlfriend earlier tonight, "This deck is amazing, it just seems to be missing a game-ending six drop. I miss Garruk...." I even went back through the spoiler and apparently missed it, but I KNEW this existed somewhere.

Definitely going in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I think abzan having caryatid and courser might give it an edge over mardu in a 3 color environment, but I still want to try a mardu midrange so here goes:

4x Butcher of the Horde
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Soldier of the Pantheon

4x Thoughtseize
4x Utter End
4x Banishing Light
2x Murderous Cut

3x Ajani Steadfast
3x Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker

24 Lands

Have a few ideas regarding the manabase. Is 8 scrylands too many? Definitely 4 bloodstained mires and mana confluence, and some mix of painlands and basics, with one urborg. Haven't decided on a sideboard yet, probably some appropriate mix of despise, mardu ascendancy for control decks, maybe some other spot removal?

Basically I just want to abuse the synergy that Butcher has with rabblemaster and champion, Ajani steadfast would be gross combined with rabblemaster, demon, or sarkhan. Banishing light and utter end give unconditional removal, and Thoughtseize is Thoughtseize. Open to suggestions.
Perhaps look at Ride Down and also War-Name Aspirant in place of Soldier of the Pantheon? I don't think Ajani is amazing here either. He's basically a lot like Sorin, except Sorin can ult on his third turn and gives you a bigger life swing.

The biggest problem with Utter End seems to be that there's not that much in the way of things you need to remove that aren't already hit by Hero's Downfall and it doesn't hit Stormbreath Dragon at all. In any case, I wouldn't run 4 Utter End AND 4 Banishing Light. They basically do the same thing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Another deck that's been testing pretty well so far....

Deck: Mardu Token Time

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
2 Dictate of Heliod
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
3 Ride Down
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Utter End

//Creatures
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

Display deck statistics

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I like the sound of that, because I can see from that list the only cards I don't have are Utter End and Sorin. Finally this "collect every land" that I started when I began playing again at M14 is paying off. I'm going to love this Standard just because I can actually choose a deck or two to make and not have to pay $200 because of lands involved.

Craig Wescoe made a list like that here http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12049
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 ?
4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph

SB
4 Banishing Light
3 Forge Devil
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Thoughtseize

Not sure what the deal is with the "?" in the list.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boco_T posted:

I like the sound of that, because I can see from that list the only cards I don't have are Utter End and Sorin. Finally this "collect every land" that I started when I began playing again at M14 is paying off. I'm going to love this Standard just because I can actually choose a deck or two to make and not have to pay $200 because of lands involved.

Craig Wescoe made a list like that here http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12049
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 ?
4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph

SB
4 Banishing Light
3 Forge Devil
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Thoughtseize

Huh, gives me a little more confidence in my abilities if we're on such similar lists. The question mark is probably an error in trying to create the link for the card he listed, it happens all the time on new sets on that site.

I did the same thing the last few weeks. I now have every temple but Epiphany, some in foil sets, and sets of all the painlands except Shivan Reef (notice a color combo I don't play yet....), Mana Confluence, Nykthos, and a pair of Urborg. I've also gotten everything I can from Theros block and M15 that will likely get play. I'm going to GP Orlando and want to do some Standard events to earn byes, and it's only a week after the set comes out, so the plan is to show up with a list, trade my bulk in for the new cards I need, and put it together last second.

Need to rush aside, I don't want to have to keep scrambling to trade for lands every time I want to switch decks.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

First brew for new Standard. I have it sleeved up and ready to test after dinner, so it will probably change, but I think this might be unexpected enough to steal games early in the format when no one will think to have Back to Nature in their 75.

Graveyard Enchantments

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Nighthowler
4 Herald of Torment
4 Master of the Feast
4 Boon Satyr
2 Pharika, God of Affliction
4 Nemesis of Mortals

4 Commune with the Gods
4 Kruphix's Insight
3 Murderous Cut
2 Hero's Downfall

4 Temple of Malady
4 Llanowar Wastes
6 Forest
7 Swamp

Sideboard:

2 Erebos
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Brain Maggot
2 Nyx Weaver
3 Bile Blight
2 Drown in Sorrow

I basically looked at cards to fill your graveyard for Delve to see what sort of synergies I might find, and I came across Kruphix's Insight. I thought sticking to purely Enchantment Creatures makes that card ridiculous (3 mana: Draw 2-3, add 2-3 to the graveyard, in most cases). Along with Commune with the Gods, that's enough to encourage me toward a graveyard-matters-all-enchantments core.

From there I obviously looked to Nighthowler, which led me to Herald of Torment and Master of the Feast right next to it in my binder. With Boon Satyr on my brain, I thought enabling Pharika would be easy enough, along with her ability to make more use of my graveyard.

With graveyard contents being relevant, I moved away from Delve, but this is the perfect deck to support Murderous Cut as "B: Kill something".

I have no idea how it will play out, but it was an interesting idea I'm playing with that's a little different from the usual Constellation approach. It's obviously very weak to Back to Nature, but at least at first I don't see that being all over the place (definitely not main). Bestow gives a lot of resilience, too, EXCEPT against that card.

I'd switch the master of the feasts to eidolon of blossoms so that for each creature you play you get to draw a (few) card(s); all your other creatures are enchantments, except for sylvan cary but he's good blocking and fixing so Id keep him.

It's better to be the card drawer, and herald of torment does the same job once you flip him on a courser or something. (also you should be playing coursers because theyre enchantments for blossoms and will net you life and will help you decide if you want to flip to GY or not.) Sultai ascendency is something to look into to, to help enable the GY as well as be an enchantment for the above.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Here is a stab at Sultai (BGu) -
I've loaded up on removal, assuming that the meta will be dominated by creature decks, especially in early weeks. There aren't a huge number of explicit graveyard enablers, I'm hoping that fetches, kill spells and trading off my Pharika's Chosen and Satyr Wayfinders will fill the bin up nice and quick, so I can get off an early Treasure Cruise to restock my hand and keep trading.

3 Temple of Malady
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Polluted Delta
2 Opulent Palace
2 Island
4 Swamp
4 Forest
1 Temple of Mystery

2 Murderous Cut
2 Drown in Sorrow
4 Bile Blight
4 Hero's Downfall

2 Sultai Ascendency
2 Sultai Charm
1 Empty the Pits
4 Treasure Cruise

4 Pharika's Chosen
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Rakshasa Vizier
4 Nemesis of Mortals

SB wil probably be something like this:
4 Stubborn Denial //against spell-heavy decks
2 Drown in Sorrow // against tokens
4 Sedge Scorpion //against monsters
2 Murderous cut //against monsters
3 Phyrexian Revoker //against walkers

I know everyone is losing their poo poo for Mardu aggro, but slow and grindy is way more fun.
Thoughts?

edit - need to have islands for the polluted delta to be useful :hurr:
_________
Also Baron - I agree with the above, please play Eidolon of Blossoms, especially if you have Pharika in the deck.

Mondrian fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Perhaps look at Ride Down and also War-Name Aspirant in place of Soldier of the Pantheon? I don't think Ajani is amazing here either. He's basically a lot like Sorin, except Sorin can ult on his third turn and gives you a bigger life swing.

The biggest problem with Utter End seems to be that there's not that much in the way of things you need to remove that aren't already hit by Hero's Downfall and it doesn't hit Stormbreath Dragon at all. In any case, I wouldn't run 4 Utter End AND 4 Banishing Light. They basically do the same thing.

I'll probably look at other options for that slot soldier is in, I wasn't sure what to put there so I went with the guy that I knew was at least a little garaunteed value. You're also right about the removal being weak to stormbreath, murderous cut and sarkhan -3 will kill one but I'll probably swap a banishing light and and an utter end for 2 downfalls maybe.

I'm not sold on Sorin though, he's harder to cast than Ajani Steadfast and the first strike in addition to the other keywords is super relevant to demon and rabblemaster. Rabblemasters main problem in combat is dying to 2 power and Steadfast can prevent that. Ajani also gives me the option to ult Sarkhan the very next turn he comes out, which I think is a big boost.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 ?
4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph

SB
4 Banishing Light
3 Forge Devil
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Thoughtseize

I remember reading that article. The missing 4-of was was Hordeling Outburst.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

THAT was the card! I was just saying to my girlfriend earlier tonight, "This deck is amazing, it just seems to be missing a game-ending six drop. I miss Garruk...." I even went back through the spoiler and apparently missed it, but I KNEW this existed somewhere.

Definitely going in.

Does it have to be a 6? Hornet Queen nearly thrived in a Supreme Verdict/Lifebane Zombie meta, and I don't see much in KTK that's going to stop it. It's going to be a Thoughtseize/Rabblemaster/Hornet Queen format until someone breaks it.

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
Can't decide between a RUG deck or just stick with R/G monsters for post rotation. Any help in terms of fine-tuning would be appreciated!

Deck: temur test

//Lands
7 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
1 Island
4 Mountain
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Chord of Calling
1 Icy Blast
1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 See the Unwritten
2 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Hornet Queen
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
3 Savage Knuckleblade
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

It feels too all over the place, but I don't know.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AnacondaHL posted:

Does it have to be a 6? Hornet Queen nearly thrived in a Supreme Verdict/Lifebane Zombie meta, and I don't see much in KTK that's going to stop it. It's going to be a Thoughtseize/Rabblemaster/Hornet Queen format until someone breaks it.

Toying with Hornet Queen too, but with Chord of Calling 6 is the magic number it seems. In a lot of test games I'm ready to chord for 6 and instead go for 5 and grab an Arbor Colossus or Sphinx, which is still a strong play but underwhelming when I could grab something that needs an immediate answer. Hornet Queen fills that role, too, so I'll try one of those, I just know I can consistently get to six.

Syphilis Fish posted:

I'd switch the master of the feasts to eidolon of blossoms so that for each creature you play you get to draw a (few) card(s); all your other creatures are enchantments, except for sylvan cary but he's good blocking and fixing so Id keep him.

It's better to be the card drawer, and herald of torment does the same job once you flip him on a courser or something. (also you should be playing coursers because theyre enchantments for blossoms and will net you life and will help you decide if you want to flip to GY or not.) Sultai ascendency is something to look into to, to help enable the GY as well as be an enchantment for the above.

I tried that and was a little underwhelmed. I found that what I wanted to do was kill quickly, which the Eidolon doesn't help with. I have no problem keeping my hand full with Kruphix's Insight, what I needed was I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Desecration-Demon in the air to beat faces in.

That said, of the three decks I've been testing, this one's the weaker of the set. I still think it has potential, but I think I'm focusing on my Simic deck before Orlando, since that will likely be strongest against aggro and other Monsters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

So I went ahead and updated MURDERGOATS for those of you that enjoy interesting decks and/or annoying subforum memes.

It's still very early in development (especially as not all the cards are out) and I need to re-do the entire Mission Statement, but I like how it runs so far and it has some interesting interactions still.

Have you tested Ajani Steadfast in this deck? He gives an amazing amount of survivability against aggro, and happens to be really good with Goblin Rabblemaster.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Scuttling Doom Engine might be a good counter to Hornet Queen? I've been meaning to update and post my Scuttling burn/control deck here, will do so soonerish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Have you tested Ajani Steadfast in this deck? He gives an amazing amount of survivability against aggro, and happens to be really good with Goblin Rabblemaster.

No, admittedly. What should go, in your opinion? Sorin?

• Locked thread