Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Dishonored's ruined any possible enjoyment I could get out of Thi4f because the magic powers and the easy combat and the lore are just things that Thi4f won't have.
Dishonored is more of a Thief 4 than the real Thief 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I think Dishonored's ruined any possible enjoyment I could get out of Thi4f because the magic powers and the easy combat and the lore are just things that Thi4f won't have.

Goddammit. maybe I'll have to wait until it's down to 3.50 or something.

gently caress you, Thorf devs.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Thi4f has a completely broken sound engine. In a stealth game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, I hope that shrek stealth game is good.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Thief 4 is such a shame... You can see some promise in some levels like the brothel and the bank. You get a bit of that old sneaky feel in them and they aren't broken up into 1 minute chunks between loading screens hidden in slow animations. Too bad about the rest of it. Why did they feel the need to have an open worldy hub that doesn't work?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poptart_fairy posted:

Loving Thief, DMC and Kingdom of Amalur then reading through this thread makes me think my brain is wired to automatically like stuff everyone else hates.

Thief is actually fun, I thought. The asylum level is really cool- there should've been more of it. But once you hit that very final act you might get a touch loving frustrated. I liked the movement of the game, how Garret pushes and turns if you sprint. The game works well when you're stealing, something I wish I was doing more of in this game and when I played the older ones.

I also set the game to Master on my first go, as per thread recommendation, and loving regretted that at the end. Hopefully you picked up the bank dlc too cause that was a pleasure, honestly. drat did I dig that asylum level.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - so thief 4 is BAD to play on hard? Really? Are you supposed to play it on normal or something? What did the difficulties do again - just finding additional stolen goods, right?

Dr Acula directed me to http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-survarium-closed-beta-giveaway-751.html
A survarium beta givaway.

No idea if the game's any good.
Just a few keys left.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

^^^ - so thief 4 is BAD to play on hard? Really? Are you supposed to play it on normal or something?

Dr Acula directed me to http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-survarium-closed-beta-giveaway-751.html
A survarium beta givaway.

No idea if the game's any good.
Just a few keys left.

Oh, no no. It's actually a whole lot of fun on master up to the very end. One of the boss encounters features a guy who can reliably one hit you and the other has (what on paper is an interesting gimmick) a special move that will fry you in two seconds. My advice is to stock the gently caress up on healing supplies before going into the final act.

A lot of stealthing and getting around dudes is a genuine challenge where obvious routes are pretty hard to spot/non existent. I don't consider that a bad thing, either. You may get some pros saying it's easier than the old games, which is true yeah, but the average person like you or I are going to get our asses handed to us now and then.

Also thanks for the heads up on those keys. I got mine, signed up and registered, where so I download the client from?
Found it. Ruskies are tricky

frank.club fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 15, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is there still a Prison Architect thread somewhere? I finally got around to giving it a quick spin before bed last night and then I looked up and it was 6am and oh jeez.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Kins posted:

Is there still a Prison Architect thread somewhere? I finally got around to giving it a quick spin before bed last night and then I looked up and it was 6am and oh jeez.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504197

Pretty active whenever an update goes out

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Huh. I CTRL-Fed through every non-archived page of Games and didn't pick that up. Weird. Thank you!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hmmm I'm debating Outlast but it will still be a deal for another 24 hours so I at least don't have to pull the trigger overnight. I enjoyed Penumbra and Amnesia and it seems to be along those lines.

WHY AM I STILL BUYING GAMES

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

One of the greatest mysteries of the modern age.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So, I'm playing Devil May Cry 4 and quite enjoying it. The combat is a lot of fun and scratching the itch that Metal Gear Rising left. I know nothing about the story other than it's something to do with demons, but that's fine because they keep throwing things at me to kill stylishly. It doesn't have a Rules of Nature moment so far but I'll live.

However, I've just met Gloria and What. The. gently caress. Lady, I'm no prude but neither am I a Lesbian, so for the love of god, if you're going to be prancing around flashing your fanny and arse at me while you murder demons with your legs wide open please put some drat knickers on!

Please tell me she puts some pants on, because seriously what the gently caress were they thinking with that intro.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

poptart_fairy posted:

Loving Thief, DMC and Kingdom of Amalur then reading through this thread makes me think my brain is wired to automatically like stuff everyone else hates.
Goonsensus is a lie.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Helith posted:

Please tell me she puts some pants on, because seriously what the gently caress were they thinking with that intro.

Thankfully, she does. I will say that I do like this shot.

But yeah, all the cutscenes involving her are uncomfortable as hell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Helith posted:

She does.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How's that Starpoint Gemini 2 game? I'd really love a game that was a mixture of open world space trading games and the combat of starfleet command. Is this the game I've been waiting for?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zedd posted:

She does.

Good. I suppose I should manage my expectations that she might find a bra along with the pants. Japanese games seem to dislike bra's on women for some reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And braindead AI, and garbage level design. :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There's no dedicated thread on it, has anyone gotten to take Facerig for a spin?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

There's no dedicated thread on it, has anyone gotten to take Facerig for a spin?

I'm kind of annoyed that they went more towards providing a selection of furry creatures rather than allowing for full burgerface customization.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Helith posted:

Good. I suppose I should manage my expectations that she might find a bra along with the pants. Japanese games seem to dislike bra's on women for some reason.

As opposed to western games where women wear bras and not much else?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

duckfarts posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that they went more towards providing a selection of furry creatures rather than allowing for full burgerface customization.
You can use any 3D model with it anyway though. Counting down until somebody models Gaben's face.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

You can use any 3D model with it anyway though. Counting down until somebody models Gaben's face.

Someone beat you to it:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The payment scheme for Facerig is interesting. The pro licence allows you to use it as a streaming/youtube thing. Which I guess could be something cool for a burger-game-reviews channel etc.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

The payment scheme for Facerig is interesting. The pro licence allows you to use it as a streaming/youtube thing. Which I guess could be something cool for a burger-game-reviews channel etc.
Here's the etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZc9zdEL0Tk

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Existence of facerig justified.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, poo poo. I know I was saying it was Classic RPG week on Steam (Elminage Gothic, Wasteland 2, Dragonfall: Director's Cut and Age of Wonders 3 DLC out all on the 18th/19th), but Divinity: Original Sin is finally getting its free companion DLC later today, too.

Far as I can tell, it's two more fully featured party members in the style of Madora and Jahan, only with even more quests and voicework, if Larian are to be believed.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Ddraig posted:

Don't use Mouse Aiming in RE4. Seriously... the game was pretty much completely designed around the use of a controller. The Wii version was piss easy thanks to the aiming controls, the ability to mouse aim would completely neuter the experience.

This might sound spergy or whatever, but to get the proper experience you need to use a controller, because the game is designed and balanced around that control scheme.
This is stupid, the original console controls are garbage and mouse aiming makes things much better. It's not even unfair, because even with a mouse it's not terribly easy to aim.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Oh my god.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I recently installed a GeForce card after using Radeon cards for years and I'm being prompted to install GeForce Experience software on my desktop. Is installing this software a good idea or is it just a bunch of extra crap that won't really do me any good and that I should ignore?

edit: holy poo poo the burger video.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I recently installed a GeForce card after using Radeon cards for years and I'm being prompted to install GeForce Experience software on my desktop. Is installing this software a good idea or is it just a bunch of extra crap that won't really do me any good and that I should ignore?

edit: holy poo poo the burger video.

Geforce Experience is mostly just a bunch of dumb features that you can turn off, but you'll want it anyway because it's where Shadowplay lives, which is NVidia's video recording/streaming software. It does almost all the hard work on a dedicated GPU chip, so you can capture 1080p/60fps gameplay at effectively zero performance loss. By default it records all your gameplay passively and you can press a button to dump the past 5-10 minutes to hard drive.

If you've got the upstream bandwidth, it can do 720p/60fps to Twitch.tv too, facecam and all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Awesome, that was really helpful. Thanks!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hmmm I'm debating Outlast but it will still be a deal for another 24 hours so I at least don't have to pull the trigger overnight. I enjoyed Penumbra and Amnesia and it seems to be along those lines.

Thumbs up from me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnEBjluJ0Vg

It's in the same neighborhood as Amnesia. More reliant on jump scares than straight tension, but with far nicer visuals. DLC was pretty good as well - possibly better.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What sound issues are you experiencing? People talk too loud occasionally for me, but that is it. I thought any initial sound issues were patched out fairly quickly.

Tony Phillips posted:

Thumbs up from me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnEBjluJ0Vg

It's in the same neighborhood as Amnesia. More reliant on jump scares than straight tension, but with far nicer visuals. DLC was pretty good as well - possibly better.

I am looking forward to picking up the DLC next sale, but not looking forward to that specific mutilation cutscene I heard about. Ugh.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5'd

//\\ it's not that bad

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like the new companions have been patched into Divinity: Original Sin. No idea where they are, or what their stories involve, but they're a Ranger and a Rogue respectively.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Looks like the new companions have been patched into Divinity: Original Sin. No idea where they are, or what their stories involve, but they're a Ranger and a Rogue respectively.

Are they added to games already in progress or do you have to restart to see them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

pigdog posted:

This is stupid, the original console controls are garbage and mouse aiming makes things much better. It's not even unfair, because even with a mouse it's not terribly easy to aim.

I agree. Even with the mouse controls, aiming in Resident Evil 4 is not as easy as it is in third-person shooters. The game is still challenging.

Dominic White posted:

Not quite. Today's patch was in preparation for the upcoming Companion DLC. It appears in the main menu, but you can't actually use it yet.

Since I only just the other day got unbusy enough to play, I may as well start a new game once it comes out.

• Locked thread