Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Blockhouse posted:

Nope sorry we're stuck with inverted Sabretooth instead

Oh gently caress you. That's too inevitable to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well so long as he acts like his AoA version I'm all on board.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isolated point.

When All New Marvel NOW started up we all thought that Hickman's Avenger's was the Franchise book which the Universe was revolving around and Remender's Avenger's was the weird book operating off in it's own side continuity. (Particularly when Infinity rolled out.)

Now two years later, the roles have reversed and Axis and the Unity Team are the Status Quo and Hickman's stuff feels like it's operating in the corner.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Isolated point.

When All New Marvel NOW started up we all thought that Hickman's Avenger's was the Franchise book which the Universe was revolving around and Remender's Avenger's was the weird book operating off in it's own side continuity. (Particularly when Infinity rolled out.)

Now two years later, the roles have reversed and Axis and the Unity Team are the Status Quo and Hickman's stuff feels like it's operating in the corner.

Axis and the Unity Team has been in its own corner with batshit insane time travel stories. Its now time for Uncanny Avengers gets its crossover which Hickman's Avengers got last year.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Is Uncanny Avengers worth reading? Reviews seem to vary wildly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

It has had a few good issues here and there, but the first arc is terrible I think. Heroes arguing like idiots and acting wildly out of character.

Anything with Rogue and Wanda is particularly lovely.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Remender seems to have reverted a lot of the character development Rogue went through under Carey's Legacy run. And something seems off about Wanda and Wonder Man as well, though I admit those characters were in tough situations after being shat on by Bendis. Havok still doesn't seem like a convincing leader and seems to have only been chosen due to PR optics and I still don't know why Janet is on the team other than to flirt with the male members of the team.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't forget the speech!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
e: whoops, wrong thread

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Exflm9w.jpg[/img]

Four Score fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 8, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
EDIT: Nevermind!

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's obviously a woman's nose and mouth in shadowy profile, come on man. Head in the game.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I actually meant to post this in the Badass Panels thread. My first forums posting snaffu, forgive me :negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wolpertinger posted:

I dropped it because the characters were all written pretty poorly and the stories really weren't grabbing me. It just got to the stage where it felt like a huge reset button was just going to be hit eventually, which I might not mind so much if I was enjoying the journey there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I stopped reading Uncanny Avengers because of the issue where it became prose with illustrations.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I stopped reading Uncanny Avengers because of the issue where it became prose with illustrations.

That's the exact point I jumped off, too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Avengers 34.1 or whatever it is that came out today was great! If you liked the issues focused on Hyperion early in Hickman's Avengers, you'll like this one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avengers 34.1 is one of the better Superman stories told. It's almost hilarious how Marvel is handling Superman better than DC.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Avengers 34.1 is one of the better Superman stories told. It's almost hilarious how Marvel is handling Superman better than DC.

Johns is absolutely killing it on Superman right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Johns is absolutely killing it on Superman right now.

If only it had a good artist.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think the art is mostly fine but oh well.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If only it had a good artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Smasher appeared in anything after the first few issues of Avengers World? :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Smasher appeared in anything after the first few issues of Avengers World? :(

No, but that's because she's part of the first of three plotlines they're trying to run in that book.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I almost didn't pick up Avengers 34.1 today, since it appeared to be a one-off without Hickman writing. I've been mixed on the past stuff I've read by Ewing. Grabbed it thanks to this thread, and it is indeed a great issue. It's a nice single issue story you can pass to people that claim not to "get" Superman, Hyperion, et al.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it was a interesting story on Hyperion and showcased how powerful he actually was. Although what the gently caress was up with the planet he went to seriously some sort of super future earth where he get's taken in by a super genius or something.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Madrox posted:

I almost didn't pick up Avengers 34.1 today, since it appeared to be a one-off without Hickman writing. I've been mixed on the past stuff I've read by Ewing. Grabbed it thanks to this thread, and it is indeed a great issue. It's a nice single issue story you can pass to people that claim not to "get" Superman, Hyperion, et al.

It works better with Hyperion because I can believe he's tempted to just start tearing Mauler apart for a second before choosing not to. Superman is too super humanly better at being a good person then everybody else for me to buy that it'd enter his mind.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 10, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Good point, that wouldn't have even crossed Superman's mind. I think with Hyperion's upbringing, he has more of a practical/realist bent than Clark would have. Fortunately, Hyperion does seem to have the restraint and moral compass along his lines though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

wiegieman posted:

No, but that's because she's part of the first of three plotlines they're trying to run in that book.

Ughhh

Also, Hyperion's issue was pretty great. I liked his internal struggle, made him feel distinct.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was a good issue. Here's hoping someone doesn't use the "You're all my children" to turn Hyperion into a baddie.

I LOVE this Avengers team. God I don't know who I'd want to follow up on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved this issue with Hyperion but it didn't really feel like a good Superman book to me at all. For all the similarities in the characters this made Hyperion feel pretty distinct from Superman and actually made me think of the character as something more than just a Superman ripoff. And if I'd felt this was a good Superman book I'd probably feel just the opposite. Hyperion is the ultimate outsider in every sense. He's a man not only not on his planet of origin but not even in his universe anymore. He's completely disconnected from everything and recognizes that and is trying to rectify it in his own way. Superman is kind of the opposite of that. Even though he's not of his Earth biologically he's very much of it culturally. Hyperion doesn't even really have that connection.

I really want an Al Ewing Hyperion book now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hickman did say that he had specific plans for Hyperion in his run and stressed that he wasn't just another Superman clone. That's great, but I get scared when writers make such statements because I keep thinking he'll get killed off...

I hope he sticks for a long time.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Avengers 34.1 was pretty awesome stuff. Really enjoyed the internal conflict when facing down the Mauler.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I skimmed the final issue of Avengers Undercover out of curiosity and despite all of Hopeless' problems, I thought the dude had a pretty great handle on Baron Zemo. Even though he's still a supervillain and his logo is a Z done in the style of the swastika, he's got all the right tics. The personable dialogue, the fact that he thinks Arcade is a piece of poo poo and how his plot is ultimately a way of letting the world know how much of a hold SHIELD has on them.

As someone who loved Zemo in Thunderbolts, that's probably the best I could have asked for.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gavok posted:

I skimmed the final issue of Avengers Undercover out of curiosity and despite all of Hopeless' problems, I thought the dude had a pretty great handle on Baron Zemo. Even though he's still a supervillain and his logo is a Z done in the style of the swastika, he's got all the right tics. The personable dialogue, the fact that he thinks Arcade is a piece of poo poo and how his plot is ultimately a way of letting the world know how much of a hold SHIELD has on them.

As someone who loved Zemo in Thunderbolts, that's probably the best I could have asked for.

I've got to say, I can't argue with this. As irritated as I was by Zemo's reversion to outright villainy in Brubaker's Cap run (and then subsequently mollified once Zemo's motivations got explained), the end of Avengers Undercover really rang true for me vis a vis Zemo; he didn't try and take over the world or anything, he just tried to shake up the existing status quo through virtue of being correct. It was very, very Zemo.

Such a shame that all the material leading up to it was such steaming crap.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I skimmed through some Avengers Academy, and while not amazing it's pleasant enough, but I find it hard to bother reading all of it when I know every single character here minus two or three is going to be killed off pointlessly in superhero Hunger Games. It's like retroactively ruining the story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wolpertinger posted:

I skimmed through some Avengers Academy, and while not amazing it's pleasant enough, but I find it hard to bother reading all of it when I know every single character here minus two or three is going to be killed off pointlessly in superhero Hunger Games. It's like retroactively ruining the story.

Just pretend they're shelved forever after Academy. I quite liked Finesse.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wolpertinger posted:

I know it's a HOPELESS case to step into this ARENA and have a BATTLE ROYALE with UNDERCOVER posters who know that it's HOPELESS to talk about that HOPELESS piece of poo poo writing that HOPELESSLY lovely poo poo book that shits all over some of the most beloved characters of this or any century with his HOPELESS lovely PIECE OF poo poo GRIMDARK work that is a BIG gently caress YOU TO THE FANS, THE INDUSTRY, HUMANITY.

But like... four characters out of Avengers Academy even show up in that waste of human life Hopeless's war crime comic book. And a maximum of two of them might be dead at the moment. But yeah, it retroactively taints that book and in a way our entire HOPELESS society. gently caress this book, it is the worst thing ever.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

I know it's a HOPELESS case to step into this ARENA and have a BATTLE ROYALE with UNDERCOVER posters who know that it's HOPELESS to talk about that HOPELESS piece of poo poo writing that HOPELESSLY lovely poo poo book that shits all over some of the most beloved characters of this or any century with his HOPELESS lovely PIECE OF poo poo GRIMDARK work that is a BIG gently caress YOU TO THE FANS, THE INDUSTRY, HUMANITY.

But like... four characters out of Avengers Academy even show up in that waste of human life Hopeless's war crime comic book. And a maximum of two of them might be dead at the moment. But yeah, it retroactively taints that book and in a way our entire HOPELESS society. gently caress this book, it is the worst thing ever.

Uh, apparently I touched on a sore subject or something here, and I haven't read Avengers Arena but from the 20?ish issues I read, Academy seemed to focus mostly on a few specific characters from what I've read it seems like a good number of the main cast proceeded to move on into Arena, where they are either killed or turned into traumatized wrecks with PTSD which just seems kinda tasteless all around for a sequel what was a pretty light story. It's like writing a sequel to a children's book where all the main characters are forced to kill each other.

Plus, I'm the kind of person that hates reading/watching something that I know's gunna have a miserable lovely unhappy ending, and that's what I meant by ruining it retroactively for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he always posts like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

No, he always posts like that.

Just be glad he didn't bring up Hank Pym.

• Locked thread