Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't think I ever heard anyone in this thread talk about Lucius. Anyone comment on it? I mean, it can't be worse than Scratches can it?
There's nothing to talk about. It's barely even a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Contrary to what I expected, watching videos of Five Nights at Freddy's did not actually prepare me for playing it.

Game is goddam terrifying.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ladyboy pancake posted:

Contrary to what I expected, watching videos of Five Nights at Freddy's did not actually prepare me for playing it.

It's just so incredible well crafted in the way it makes you tense and then abuses it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oxxidation posted:

That is some extraordinarily bad voice acting, good Lord.
I wasn't super impressed with the guy's voice but the female voice actor is really good. There's not a lot of voice acting in the game anyway though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ladyboy pancake posted:

Watching vs playing is a huge difference, this is definitely one of the games you have to play for yourself. It just looks kinda goofy in concept but it ends up being so tense.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Watching vs playing is a huge difference, this is definitely one of the games you have to play for yourself. It just looks kinda goofy in concept but it ends up being so tense.

Yeah, watching a playthrough instead of actually having to monitor the cameras yourself is a bit like trying to tickle yourself. It just doesn't work, because your brain isn't doing what it needs to.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I also just played Freddie's for the first time after reading about it in this thread (and then watching some short videos). The concept didn't sound appealing at first, but fortune threw some money my way today so I bought the game and holy poo poo my nerves were on edge. The bear robot was moving around the place but never came near me, but at the end of the night the chicken came for me. At some point I switched on the light and saw it peeking through the right window oh my god close the door
I laughed at that, but it was one of those very uncomfortable laughs, and after the first night I accidentally switched off the game by pressing escape. There is no saving or checkpoint mechanic, I presume? Can you even pause?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

No, no pausing. It saves your nightly progress though so you can go back and start on night 2 if you completed night 1.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Oxxidation posted:

That is some extraordinarily bad voice acting, good Lord.

That's often the sign of a really good horror game.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I ran across it this week and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with SCP: Containment Breach. It's practically a horror/roguelike hybrid considering the random map generation and how much it enjoys killing you due to mistakes and/or bad luck, but despite the incredibly out of date graphics and the goofiness of some of the contents it's actually fairly enjoyable and tense in places. If it had an actual budget it might be pretty impressive.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Five Nights at Freddy's is up on iOS and Android, for a very reasonable $3. Probably nigh unplayable on a phone, but should be pretty good on a tablet.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm just playing Fatal Frame 1 now for the first time. It's terrifying. I love it. I opened a door and a ghost was staring me right in the face. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. The music sounds like the whispering of Satan. It totally matches Silent Hill for atmosphere.

Glad I didn't skip to Fatal Frame 2 like I intended.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
FF2 is exactly the same but even more so, so you've really got something to look forward to then.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

oriongates posted:

I ran across it this week and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with SCP: Containment Breach. It's practically a horror/roguelike hybrid considering the random map generation and how much it enjoys killing you due to mistakes and/or bad luck, but despite the incredibly out of date graphics and the goofiness of some of the contents it's actually fairly enjoyable and tense in places. If it had an actual budget it might be pretty impressive.

They made a game out of the creepy-pasting website?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rough Lobster posted:

They made a game out of the creepy-pasting website?

Yeah. It's obviously very armature and also not good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EK1WXL48uI

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought there was a bunch of SCP-based projects. I played a couple of them, one managed to startle me super hard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Accordion Man posted:

Lisa Trevor is also pretty cool.

The best part about Lisa Trevor is if you read the files Wesker had her "destroyed" but this is later revealed to mean given a cabin to hang out in and basically able to chill and go or do whatever.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To be fair, judging by Umbrella Chronicles I think Wesker actually thought she was dead.

:cool:: You? I thought we got rid of you.

So I guess it was Umbrella who tried to kill her, it didn't work, so then they threw a set of handcuffs on her and locked her in that hut out in the woods. Which is a totally Umbrella thing to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like the Ashford dad/Nosferatu I guess. In a post Code Veronica world they had to have some aspect of decadent Euro-trash from an 80s Joe D'Amato movie in every game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lisa is actually nigh invulnerable because she keeps regenerating. If I'm not mistaken it was elaborated that Nemesis was actually created from her DNA in supplementary material.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Lisa is actually nigh invulnerable because she keeps regenerating. If I'm not mistaken it was elaborated that Nemesis was actually created from her DNA in supplementary material.

Yeah Wesker says outright that this is what happened in the "Wesker's Report" files which were on REmake/N64 RE2/etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nemesis was originally developed by Umbrella France (:france:), Wesker and Birkin were just in the habit of stuffing everything they came up with into Lisa just to see what happened. When they tried it with Nemesis, she ended up eating it and waking up again. They did something with the results, I think, but I don't remember.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Holy poo poo remember when Resident Evil 4 was going to be seven disks long and take place entirely in the Paris research facility?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy poo poo remember when Resident Evil 4 was going to be seven disks long and take place entirely in the Paris research facility?

I completely missed that. When was that supposed to be?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

catlord posted:

I completely missed that. When was that supposed to be?

It was like the earliest earliest earliest rumor/iteration being talked about like right before Code Veronica's trailers and stuff debuted.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So speaking of Resident Evil 4, has anyone heard anymore about Evil Within? It seems to not be getting much press coverage and I haven't seen any mention of a demo, or much in the way of a playable demo at any conventions. So with it being released in a month, I'm kinda wondering if this is a bad sign at all cause the trailers and some of the talks regarding it initially made it seem interesting as hell and like an actual survival horror game.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

woodenchicken posted:

I thought there was a bunch of SCP-based projects. I played a couple of them, one managed to startle me super hard.

Yeah. Most of them are really bad, sadly. I'm hoping that Soma manages to hit some of the same notes for me, personally.

Niggurath posted:

So speaking of Resident Evil 4, has anyone heard anymore about Evil Within? It seems to not be getting much press coverage and I haven't seen any mention of a demo, or much in the way of a playable demo at any conventions. So with it being released in a month, I'm kinda wondering if this is a bad sign at all cause the trailers and some of the talks regarding it initially made it seem interesting as hell and like an actual survival horror game.

About two weeks ago the devs did an hour long live playthrough of a mid-chapter in the game. You can check it out in the link below, but be wary of spoilers. I watched about 10 minutes or so before stopping since I was memorizing enemy placement. Honestly it looks pretty good, though there's much more emphasis on stealth than I had expected. It seems ammo carrying capacity is going to be really really limited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asG2RMulHE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Niggurath posted:

I played a demo of it at fanexpo this year. It was pretty decent, felt a lot like RE4 2: Hookman edition. The controls felt good, the audio was creepy, the shooting was strong enough to be useful but difficult enough to be risky. I'm pretty excited for it though the settings in the trailers and the demo I played (Mental hospital, Mansion in the woods) make me think it'll be a game that iterates on RE4's design rather than breaking new ground. It had a sort of interesting parallel world thing instead of the merchant which should be interesting at the very least.

E: You also had jack poo poo for ammo and a melee attack with a lot of windup along with a very shaky aim. I can see it getting pretty tense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

From what I've heard it's basically RE 4's controls set in the original RE 4 setting, so there'll be lots of mansions and spooky occult poo poo, with tougher monsters stalking you constantly and a general focus on exploration and backtracking. Apparently there's a system like in the REmake where you have to burn corpses or they'll get the gently caress back up. It sounds really cool, but I also get the feeling that people looking for a spiritual successor to RE 4 are going to be disappointed.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Thanks a lot for that video cause it actually really sells me on the game. It really seems more like a survival game rather than what RE 4 seemed to be, which was more of a straight action game that happened to have some horror elements behind it. But that video just showed off what seemed to be some great sound work and tension building, so I think I'll probably end up picking it up.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Thanks a lot for that video cause it actually really sells me on the game. It really seems more like a survival game rather than what RE 4 seemed to be, which was more of a straight action game that happened to have some horror elements behind it. But that video just showed off what seemed to be some great sound work and tension building, so I think I'll probably end up picking it up.

I played the evil within at quakecon and I really liked it. It felt like an re4 game that seemed to adress complaints that re4 wasnt scary enough. The hookman makes things pretty intense; so much so that I was constantly checking where the closets were so I could get ready to hide in case I hear that bastards laugh. (Thats kind of a warning that he was gonna show up. )

Edit: also the laugh was sometimes a red herring and he never showed up. hosed with me pretty bad.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Neo Rasa posted:

No but I do remember when Resident Evil 4's build was a lot like a Silent Hill game that took place in a big haunted western mansion or something and I still want it so bad :(

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 15, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Didn't one of the early prototypes for RE4 end up becoming Devil May Cry?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yep.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Correct! I played through it a few days ago and it is so telling it is crazy. The "puzzle" styles, some of the ambient music when poo poo isn't going down, and quite a lot of the locations are a give away.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also still has a fixed camera too, which is the main reason why I dropped the game when I first fought Phantom.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

And Haunting Ground. I think God Hand's engine took a lot from it, too. RE4 was in development a loooooooong time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's probably the one case where a game with an excessively long and eventful development turned out really well for it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Yeah. They wanted to create a more melee focused Resident Evil game, but when a bug resulted in monsters getting lifted into the air by gunfire they decided to switch directions and go more action oriented. Onimusha 1 came from revisiting the original idea after Devil May Cry's release. Speaking of, the first Onimusha is actually a pretty decent horror game for that era, though it's a little light on the horror in general for western audiences since the theming doesn't translate super well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, Haunting Ground is a really cool game. Took everything Clock Tower 3 was trying to do and, y'know...made it good.