Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ChaosArgate posted:

Hold up. You can buy hot dogs from a hot dog stand where you live with credit???

I've bought cookies from girl scouts with credit:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AlbieQuirky posted:

All the street food here (Boston) uses Square, which sounds like what you're describing.

Oh man if I ever feel the urge to get food while walking through downtown (Boston as well!). :allears:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The most annoying thing is places that (contrary to their merchant agreement) put up a sign saying you have to spend a certain amount to use credit or debit. I only ever really see that in like the Indian-owned convenience stores, though. Like the one across the street from my dorm has a sign saying $10 minimum to use your card.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SLOSifl posted:

Koruna or Crowns, are you German or Dutch maybe?

I always come back from CZ with a bunch of small change. You're right that 1 koruna is actually almost useful, compared to a penny in the US anyway. I have a ton of 1 and 2 Kć coins and they are still useless though.

They do still have a subdivision of the koruna though, and you can occasionally find coins in that range, but basically everyone ignores them, at least in Brno.
Oh yeah I'm German and insensitive :D.

Though I do know some guys who insist on calling Czech towns with German names (like Brünn for Brno) which always kinda weirds me out. Dunno if it's overly sensitive tho.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

taiyoko posted:

The most annoying thing is places that (contrary to their merchant agreement) put up a sign saying you have to spend a certain amount to use credit or debit. I only ever really see that in like the Indian-owned convenience stores, though. Like the one across the street from my dorm has a sign saying $10 minimum to use your card.

I was at a non-first run movie theater and they would charge an extra $.25 if you used a card to pay. Shockingly enough a couple weeks later I heard they went out of business.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SLOSifl posted:

Koruna or Crowns, are you German or Dutch maybe?

I always come back from CZ with a bunch of small change. You're right that 1 koruna is actually almost useful, compared to a penny in the US anyway. I have a ton of 1 and 2 Kć coins and they are still useless though.

They do still have a subdivision of the koruna though, and you can occasionally find coins in that range, but basically everyone ignores them, at least in Brno.

This is the case across most of Southeast Asia where the official currency is the riel/kip/baht/dong/whatever but everywhere takes US dollars - you just generally get your change in local currency if it equals less than one dollar. I ended up with a cargo shorts pocket stuffed with kip last time I was in Laos and just left handfuls of it as tips at restaurants and for hotel staff. Even if I was leaving waaaaaay too much as a tip than was expected, the whole pocket full couldn't have been worth more than twelve to fifteen dollars.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

taiyoko posted:

gently caress, they have that poo poo here in Los Angeles as well, in small convenience stores. Want to buy a pack of cigarettes on credit? Well, you better buy two if you don't want to pay extra!

Someday, the world will realise its mistake and just use PIN as the card of choice...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I can't wait for the world to switch over to the cliche futuristic Credits money system you see so often in sci-fi.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

CJacobs posted:

Personally I can't wait for the world to switch over to the cliche futuristic Credits money system you see so often in sci-fi.

trash economy, the abundance of trash what are we gonna do with it? put it on an island. No more need to cut down trees printing up dollars, we will just be paid in garbage cubes. it’s a gold rush!

In 2070, most of the major cities will be replaced with vast pleasure domes exclusively for the "excelcyites" who are the neo-upperclass, while the displaced hordes of lower class "depth-grovellors" will live underground in tiered cities, endlessly toiling away in subterranean sugar caves for nuggets of sweet neoplasmin.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

twoday posted:

trash economy, the abundance of trash what are we gonna do with it? put it on an island. No more need to cut down trees printing up dollars, we will just be paid in garbage cubes. it’s a gold crush!

I mean, they're cubes, right?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Life hack:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
More absorbent and neutralizes more odor than Odor Eaters and Dr Scholl's Odor-X inserts!

probably not though

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

cyberia posted:

Life hack:

that would feel pretty funny on your feet!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I wish the person who made that image didn't pussyfoot around and just said what it's supposed to do better than a good pair of socks.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

justincredible posted:

that would feel pretty funny on your feet!

I hope they go on your feet...

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

TVarmy posted:

pussyfoot

lol

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

cyberia posted:

Life hack:

It works. Period.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

cyberia posted:

Life hack:

Are those wingtips?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
You padding bro?

Yeah I'm padding.

Sandals for those low flow days.

Now you can have that clean feminine feeling all day on the hike.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I, too, sweat blue liquid.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Memento posted:

This is the case across most of Southeast Asia where the official currency is the riel/kip/baht/dong/whatever but everywhere takes US dollars - you just generally get your change in local currency if it equals less than one dollar. I ended up with a cargo shorts pocket stuffed with kip last time I was in Laos and just left handfuls of it as tips at restaurants and for hotel staff. Even if I was leaving waaaaaay too much as a tip than was expected, the whole pocket full couldn't have been worth more than twelve to fifteen dollars.
Oh god, yeah. I thought I had a lot of useless Czech money around, but I came across a bag of like 10 pounds of Philippine Pesos. At the time I was in Manila last, it was about 40 php to USD, so 1 php is worth about 1/2 kc. I converted a little money here and there, but most of that bag of change was just the result of spending USD and getting back pesos.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I still have Austrian schilling from 2001. :saddowns: I don't know if it's worth converting it into euro (I don't live anywhere near the EU and don't visit much) or if I should improvise a blackjack by putting the coins in a sock that's lost its partner in the wash. #lifehack

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It won't be convertible to euros now anyway, so it'd be a bit pointless.

Lifehack: when your country converts it's money to a new system, convert your money to the new system too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

lenoon posted:

It won't be convertible to euros now anyway, so it'd be a bit pointless.
So you'd think!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A distant relative shared this on Facebook.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A distant relative shared this on Facebook.

When I lived in Japan I had a drafty as gently caress house and an inadequate heater. Bubble wrap on my windows (but branded as window insulation) prevented me from freezing to death in the winter. It didn't work very well.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

How to keep those pesky kitchen tongs from taking up their usual obscene amount of space! http://www.thekitchn.com/smart-simple-tip-to-store-tongs-in-your-kitchen-smart-tips-from-our-readers-207850

I think the stupidity of this isn't the problem so much as the fact that it bothered someone that much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why not just use a rubber band or a hair tie, that would've been much more sensible than a huge paper towel roll

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bringmyfishback posted:

How to keep those pesky kitchen tongs from taking up their usual obscene amount of space! http://www.thekitchn.com/smart-simple-tip-to-store-tongs-in-your-kitchen-smart-tips-from-our-readers-207850

I think the stupidity of this isn't the problem so much as the fact that it bothered someone that much.

The stupidity is that those tongs have a locking function. You just pull back on the ring on the back and they lock closed.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
That looks similar to the brand I have, in which case pulling back on the black knob moves a little metal shim you can see there by the pin that keeps them closed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Yeah, mine have the same function. I bought them at the dollar store, so I assume this is pretty much universal.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

jidohanbaiki posted:

When I lived in Japan I had a drafty as gently caress house and an inadequate heater. Bubble wrap on my windows (but branded as window insulation) prevented me from freezing to death in the winter. It didn't work very well.

:ohdear: I'm so sorry you froze to death. Most be fun posting as a ghost.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This thread has some good info. Thanks everyone!

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I'll admit that this thread did teach me that trying to dry washing in a tumble dryer doesn't work when part of that washing is a bath towel.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hydrolith posted:

I'll admit that this thread did teach me that trying to dry washing in a tumble dryer doesn't work when part of that washing is a bath towel.

Don't most people wash their towels separately anyway?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Desperado Bones posted:

:ohdear: I'm so sorry you froze to death. Most be fun posting as a ghost.

Shhh! You're gonna get me banned!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Life hack, die and become a ghost...you won't have to deal with winter anymore!

Real life hack, instead of bubble wrap I was told to put newspaper on the windows to keep my room warm during winter. I call it bullshit, it didn't work, I ended buying an electric heater.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Lifehack: instead of freezing in the winter, line your room with aluminum foil, coat yourself in olive oil and rosemary, and set your space heater to 350ºF for 30 minutes!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Pro lifehack for making delicious sandwiches: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Potato-Chip-Sandwich

Yes, that is a ketchup and potato chip sandwich :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Yes, that is a ketchup and potato chip sandwich :barf:

These were the poo poo when I was five. I am not five any more, and neither is whoever made that sandwich.