Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Thanks Ants posted:

"hey lets get a look at you jim"

starts a skype call

"youre looking very clear in that facetime there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the endgame here is buying a franchise to rebrand it so there's no way they can gently caress up their marketing

Seattle Surfaces with Bing powered by Windows Professional Edition SP2.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

uncurable mlady posted:

the endgame here is buying a franchise to rebrand it so there's no way they can gently caress up their marketing

lol theyll always find a way. they'll rename the product midseason and not be allowed to change the team name.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

honestly surprised they didnt name their dumb football app "NFL Home Edition LIVE" or something

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

this year's super bowl is going to be fantastic because you loving know they've already blown millions+ on adverts during it for surface probably referencing the use throughout the year

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

half time show of dubstep dancing and clicking in, having discontinued the keyboard 3 weeks before.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

"hey boss we're trying to find stills of people actually using the surface on the sidelines for this ad"

"eh just make sure the box is in the background somewhere"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uncurable mlady posted:

steve ballmer's secret plans laid bare

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uncurable mlady posted:

eventually there's just going to be a guy that walks out in front of the camera every 45 seconds to hold up a giant surface logo

microsoft introduces pop up ads on tv

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

colbylol posted:

minecraft is poo poo you nerds lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

microsoft introduces pop up ads on tv
only with kinect

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"say 'FOOTBALL!' to continue"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wonder if the FOX NFL staff were specifically instructed to refer to the Surfaces as iPads prior to Microsoft giving them money.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NFL had some promo or something they were dpi and it was in front of a bunch of windows live tiles.

they made no mention of it from what I can recall.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Microsoft should have just given them a bunch of iPads, but put them in kickstandable cases that say SURFACE on the back in giant letters.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
surfart

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

loving lmao is this the 'charms' replacement?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you'll get the option of metro start menu or classic metro

10 bux says turning on metro start disables multiple desktops for some reason

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Korean Boomhauer posted:

loving lmao is this the 'charms' replacement?

at least it's something visible and discoverable.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

welp, mojang deal is official. two point five billion earth dollars.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

minivanmegafun posted:

welp, mojang deal is official. two point five billion earth dollars.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

lmao, microsoft is so irredeemably retarded

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He’ll continue to do cool stuff though. Don’t worry about that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
he;lp

im dying

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
lol notch walking away

that rules tbqh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blackula69 posted:

lol notch walking away
walking away with two billion dollars stuffed in his pocket

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ahahaah notch's statement about this rules.

quote:

I'm leaving Mojang

I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 15, 2014

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool.

when reached for comment, notch confirmed this included "swimming atop piles of cash a la scrooge mcduck"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

ahahaah notch's statement about this rules.

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

what a goddamned loving pussy.

his statement should have literally been

"To my detractors and critics for this move, 2 billion dollars bitches, suck it"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
tbf, sweden's taxes being what they are, notch is probably left with, like, 1.5 billion.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

is minecraft actually a finished game? last I ever knew it was just a thing you bought alpha/beta access to

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I dont want to be a ceo, I just wanna program

*becomes idle rich*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

tbf, sweden's taxes being what they are, notch is probably left with, like, 1.5 billion.

yeah, definitely

one thing that notch 100% did not do with his two billion dollars is spend a few thousand dollars on an accountant to help him avoid taxes.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
minecraft was in alpha when it first got popular so then they kicked it through "beta" and "release" so they could jack up the pricetag, even though it didn't pass any developmental milestiones and barely changed at all from being a janky unifinished pos

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I dont want to be a ceo, I just wanna program

*becomes idle rich*

yes please

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
lol if you would still program after making 2.5 billion

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

super fart shooter posted:

minecraft was in alpha when it first got popular so then they kicked it through "beta" and "release" so they could jack up the pricetag, even though it didn't pass any developmental milestiones and barely changed at all from being a janky unifinished pos

im pretty sure the company that ported it to consoles has done far more work to improve the experience of actually playing minecraft than mojang has

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

im pretty sure the company that ported it to consoles has done far more work to improve the experience of actually playing minecraft than mojang has

also mods on pc

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

slogsdon posted:

lol if you would still program after making 2.5 billion

well id get bored on a wednesday and want to make a dumb twitter bot

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
maybe its the lf in me but i'd feel kinad gross if i had 2.5 billion dollars

im really boring; i don't think i could spend that much money if i tried and i don't have any vices taht i could spend that much money on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

well id get bored on a wednesday and want to make a dumb twitter bot

Tweet if u skeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES