Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just want to remind people that there are two new episodes of American Dad airing tonight on Fox. After this there is still one more episode that Fox has to air for some reason and after that it will be on TBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

juche mane posted:

I'm not sure about Nathan for you. Some of the set ups and reactions are just too perfect. And the camera looks too nice, like the angles and the resolution. Doesn't feel like real pranks.

Nathan for You isn't a hidden camera prank show. It's a fake reality show in that the people think they're on a serious reality show and they aren't.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Manos del Sino posted:

I've been burning through Californication on Netflix and I'm nearly through season three. It has a lot of flaws and I'm only getting through it by keeping it in the background as I work, but I have one nagging question:

Does Mia ever get exposed for ripping off Hank's book?

Season 4. Incidentally, you should probably stop after the season 4 finale.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Nathan for You isn't a hidden camera prank show. It's a fake reality show in that the people think they're on a serious reality show and they aren't.

My only concern about the show is that the more popular it gets, the harder it will be to get people who haven't heard of it or don't know it's premise, especially in LA. Hopefully the show is allowed to either relocate or travel further abroad in future seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

My only concern about the show is that the more popular it gets, the harder it will be to get people who haven't heard of it or don't know it's premise, especially in LA. Hopefully the show is allowed to either relocate or travel further abroad in future seasons.

Other, more popular shows have gotten away with it for much longer (Jackass comes to mind) so I'm not worried. Not everyone watches a niche show on Comedy Central.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
After the media attention that Dumb Starbucks got, next season will probably be a good litmus test for whether Fielder has become too exposed for his show to work.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I don't see a thread, but is anyone here watching Outlander?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

mr. unhsib posted:

I don't see a thread, but is anyone here watching Outlander?

Not yet but it got a decent review at hitfix and due to the fact I agree with their view on the Leftovers I'm going to wait till it's finished and binge it.

Have you been watching it? If so what do you think so far?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

hcreight posted:

After the media attention that Dumb Starbucks got, next season will probably be a good litmus test for whether Fielder has become too exposed for his show to work.

Almost always he plays it completely straight. They tell businesses beforehand he has an "unorthodox" approach to helping businesses and everyone just plays along. Who are they disagree with someone graduated with really good grades?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cactus posted:

Not yet but it got a decent review at hitfix and due to the fact I agree with their view on the Leftovers I'm going to wait till it's finished and binge it.

I would love it if I was a 45-year-old woman.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, I enjoy certain CW shows that are aimed at teenage girls, so I think I can stretch to that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

It wasn't mainstream attention, he's fine.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much. It's but a Mary Sue soap opera, no more smart or evolved than PASSIONS.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Cactus posted:

It's a very atypical show, the main plot is quite slow moving, but it's got this slice-of-life-in-ancient-Scotland thing going on that I've enjoyed. The most recent episode is probably the best one so far, and it's basically just a bunch of conversations in a room. Granted with a flashback to some fairly horrific violence.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wonder how topical it's going to end up being what with all this Scottish independence stuff happening right now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't mainstream attention, he's fine.

Some of it was. National news publications picked up on the story. Not saying this will make his show undoable, but he definitely upped his profile with that stunt.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm sure there's lots of people who heard about Dumb Starbucks, but never read into the story enough to know the person or the show behind it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You guys are hilariously overestimating how much reach his show has. The average person barely knows a handful of legitimately famous actor's faces, let alone some dude with a show on Comedy Central.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think Dumb Starbucks really even got that much exposure. Most of my friends never heard about it.

Of the people who did hear about it, the concept is what got attention, I guarantee most people who did read about it or see a piece on it wouldn't be able to name Nathan Fielder or pick him out of a lineup. It's not like he has a Steve Buscemi style "can't forget that" face.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was under the impression that Nathan For You was completely staged. Unless :thejoke:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I was under the impression that Nathan For You was completely staged. Unless :thejoke:

I haven't seen enough of it to know for sure, but I think all of the people he involves in his ventures are real people who think he's making a serious show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

On his Reddit AMA he said that there are many times where he has to stop himself from laughing. Especially when that gas station guy started talking about drinking pee He also said while filming it's very awkward with a lot of long pauses and that it only becomes really funny after editing. So I can see why the participants might think it was a real show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I imagine it's like Ali G/Borat, where people would rather just assume that this dude is an idiot rather than risk calling him out or asking if this is a joke and potentially looking like jerks/idiots themselves. Basically most people hate confrontation and would rather avoid it at the cost of being in a really awkward situation.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Mu Zeta posted:

It is really really romance novelly, but decent despite that. My wife is super into the book series so I've been dragged along, but there are some decent performances. Tobias Menzies is having fun as a villain, at least.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

juche mane posted:

I'm not sure about Nathan for you. Some of the set ups and reactions are just too perfect. And the camera looks too nice, like the angles and the resolution. Doesn't feel like real pranks.

Well, there goes my idea for an America's Funniest Home Videos reboot sponsored by GoPro.

Edit: unrelated, but currently watching Z Nation. Garth (Supernatural) and Michael (Lost) in the first five minutes? I know this is going to be goofy as poo poo.

Edit 2: Zombie baby scene is freaking hilarious. Thank you Syfy for adding another poo poo-quality show to your repertoire.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 15, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ravane posted:

Well, there goes my idea for an America's Funniest Home Videos reboot sponsored by GoPro.

Hey, uh, funny story, turns out you can't reboot America's Funniest Home Videos because it's still on the air.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, uh, funny story, turns out you can't reboot America's Funniest Home Videos because it's still on the air.

Oh wow it is. I don't own a tv, I wouldn't have known.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

hcreight posted:

Uh, I think you forget that Nathan is a master of disguise :rolleyes:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Ridiculousness, Tosh.0 are the new AFHV. Well and just watching youtube.

lelandjs posted:

If you've seen it, you know it's not staged. The reactions he gets from business owners are very real, and they are obviously not actors at all.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I think it is

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hey Z-Nation was pretty drat fun. Not a "good" show by any means, but a drat fun one and one I'll be watching every week.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
poo poo is gonna get crazy on the next episode of Ray Donovan. (Only two more episodes left this season)

Oh Jon Voight, what criminal adventures will you dream up, now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ridiculousness, Tosh.0 are the new AFHV. Well and just watching youtube.

And yet, somehow those shows manage to be way less funny than AFV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

AFV was funny when you were a kid, or maybe that was just the comic sensibility of the 80s/90s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

You're officially old. Sorry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You're officially old. Sorry.
Have to agree here. AFV is the TV equivalent of dad jokes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Note that I never said that AFV was funny. Just that those shows are way less funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Note that I never said that AFV was funny. Just that those shows are way less funny.

I've not seen Ridiculousness but you're absolutely right about Tosh.0.

AFV may not be funny, but Tosh.0 is a show about an unlikable douchebag reading youtube comments and thinking they're the height of comedy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I've not seen Ridiculousness but you're absolutely right about Tosh.0.

AFV may not be funny, but Tosh.0 is a show about an unlikable douchebag reading youtube comments and thinking they're the height of comedy.

Imagine Tosh.0 but with that extra bit of Poochie-esque douchiness and insufferability to appeal to dipshit teenagers who watch MTV, and you've got Ridiculousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ridiculousness is terrible Rob Dyrdek is terrible.

• Locked thread