Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

less than three posted:

One day our place was doing fire alarm testing or something, and the FIRE strobe light outside the datacentre entrance didn't shut off when they were finished. I took a screenshot of our datacentre temperature monitoring map and changed almost all of the green boxes to red, laid it on top of where the usual monitoring map is. The NOC guy who was on lunch when I did it burst into a meeting the rest of us were sitting in slightly panicked but unsure if he should have interrupted us "Uhh... guys sorry to interrupt, you know what's up with the datacentre? It seems to be on fire?"

Many laughs were had by all.

Extreme Disaster Recovery test :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

Nagios reports that the chiller inlet temperature is 512C. Either the environmental monitor is on the fritz, or the datacenter is on fire. :v:

I love it when the thermocouples fail. Most of them are increasing temp = increasing resistance, and when the little element breaks, it defaults to whatever MAX_TEMP is as defined in the system. Our system defaulted to 2400C, which is a nice stable temp to pour steel down at the foundry.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Zemyla posted:

Please tell me OBEY is a tortured acronym for something.
The manual does not explain what OBEY stands for. I'll have to assume it is something so stupid that it's unprintable in a technical documentation.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/15/hackers-doom-printer-canon-security

Hacker breaks printer security, vulnerabilities, demonstrates at con, yada yada

How does he show that you can hack into a printer over the network and compromise it?

quote:

Specifically: printers. During his talk at the 44Con conference in London, Michael Jordon from Context Information Security proved he could easily compromise the Canon PIXMA printer – popular for homes and small businesses alike – by making it run Doom.

http://www.contextis.co.uk/resources/blog/hacking-canon-pixma-printers-doomed-encryption/

quote:

This interface does not require user authentication allowing anyone to connect to the interface. At first glance the functionality seems to be relatively benign, you could print out hundreds of test pages and use up all the ink and paper, so what? The issue is with the firmware update process. While you can trigger a firmware update you can also change the web proxy settings and the DNS server. If you can change these then you can redirect where the printer goes to check for a new firmware. So what protection does Canon use to prevent a malicious person from providing a malicious firmware? In a nutshell - nothing, there is no signing (the correct way to do it) but it does have very weak encryption. I will go into the nuts and bolts of how I broke that later in this blog post. So we can therefore create our own custom firmware and update anyone’s printer with a Trojan image which spies on the documents being printed or is used as a gateway into their network. For demonstration purposes I decided to get Doom running on the printer (Doom as in the classic 90s computer game). It was not straight forward due to it needing all the operating system dependences to be implemented in Arm without access to a debugger, or even multiplication or division. But that's a blog for another day. Here’s the video (sorry the colours aren't perfect):

And there's even a video!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

As if there is a better use for a home printer than playing Doom.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I love it when the thermocouples fail. Most of them are increasing temp = increasing resistance, and when the little element breaks, it defaults to whatever MAX_TEMP is as defined in the system. Our system defaulted to 2400C, which is a nice stable temp to pour steel down at the foundry.

That's not at all how thermocouples work btw, you're describing a thermistor.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A sev 1 ticket came in...

...for an unreachable and therefore auto terminated instance...

...in an auto scaling web server pool...

...currently numbering over four hundred servers.

Dear User:

You don't "get" architecting for the cloud, do you?

(Remember children watching this at home- servers are cattle, not pets.)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agrikk posted:

A sev 1 ticket came in...

...for an unreachable and therefore auto terminated instance...

...in an auto scaling web server pool...

...currently numbering over four hundred servers.

Dear User:

You don't "get" architecting for the cloud, do you?

(Remember children watching this at home- servers are cattle, not pets.)

Lol,

but seriously, what the hell are you hosting that requires 400 servers in the pool :stare:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Varkk posted:

Had the same issue with a recent 2012R2 server install. Ricoh copier couldn't scan to folder and Ricoh tech thought I was speaking in tongues when I aksed about updating the firmware. Fortunately their contract was up for renewal and a brand new copier came in a couple of weeks later which did support SMB3. Only other work around I found was to set up IIS and scan to FTP. May or may not be workable depending on your environment.

Just about every Ricoh copier that starts with 'MP' or 'MPC' has regular or easily obtainable beta firmware to support SMB 3.0.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
A ticket came in that required me to go shipboard to plug in a computer :/

Once there, they asked me to get their PS/2 KVM extender working. PS/2? Really? It took 4 hours more than the time I was actually supposed to be there but whatever. As this is not likely to be the last time there's a problem with these extenders, I'm trying to find a better solution.

Has anyone encountered any wireless KVM extenders that don't require a pre-existing network? To be clear, this is one computer that needs to be controlled from two locations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Nagios reports that the chiller inlet temperature is 512C. Either the environmental monitor is on the fritz, or the datacenter is on fire. :v:

Maybe it's just lp0.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

jre posted:

Lol,

but seriously, what the hell are you hosting that requires 400 servers in the pool :stare:

I have more servers than that just running as webservers for a single site, not including all of the caching layers and back-end resources.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Big Dumb Government Contractor posted:

"we have an urgent defect that must be fixed ASAP. On boot, we get "cannot set nmi watchdog on cpu #0 (and #1) please remediate and revert ASAP"

Customer then got on the phone with 2 C level folks to complain about our poor install and setup.

Just so you know, the first google result of this error explains what this means.

best part: our normal install will automatically deal with this. The customer removed our grub config and added their own (which is far more secure with a grub password that is guessable) which removed the config option that disabled this problem.

So I have now spent all morning explaining to my boss, my director, and his VP how this happened, that it's really not a big issue, and all that.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jre posted:

Lol,

A big, big, big company. That's about all I can say.

Which made the ticket all the more :gonk: these guys stand up and destroy servers every hour. What was so special about this one? You paged In a very large set of people over an unhealthy instance that was mitigated properly? IDGI.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I'm at a startup and we had almost that many servers powering one site before we jumped up an instance size or 4

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Our gracious overlords parent company had the MSP they contract migrate our accounting system (NAV) to a new server over the weekend. That's all well and good, new RDP info (yes they remote into the server to run NAV) and good to go.

Get a ticket that NAV is throwing a license error. I figured it was a configuration issue and dropped the contact at the MSP an e-mail about it. The response I got back was a doozy.

quote:

I was getting this today
We have , I believe a 10 user licence
If we go over that number you get that message
There are 17 users
I think everyone has NAV open
To check thing
Some people leave it open when they shutdown remote desk top which holds a licemcr
See if you close NAV on other computers, if the error goes away
When I get back my main Admin computer I will quit NAV on every computer I can get to to tonight and test

Original formatting preserved! The license stupidity is bad enough, the fact that an MSP employee writes like this to a client is worse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like he's writing an instant message.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Managed Services - so easy a caveman can do it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To check thing

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Our gracious overlords parent company had the MSP they contract migrate our accounting system (NAV) to a new server over the weekend. That's all well and good, new RDP info (yes they remote into the server to run NAV) and good to go.
It's like they've never heard of session time-outs.

edit: Thanks to this thread I'm pretty sure I'll never use an MSP ever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Like most things, you get what you overpay for

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

I'm 90% sure that when you close RDP in this instance it logs you out.

But hey, I'm just the local IT Manager. And our parent company treats the word of the MSP like scripture. So I'm just going to notify the EVP of Finance and let this one play out.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Splashy Gravy posted:

Managed Services - so easy a caveman can do it.

Man, there are times I wish I could upgrade to cavemen here.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's very important when communicating with clients to make sure you are talking about the same thing. For instance, telling someone they are free and clear to register a domain can be dangerous when you are not spelling the domain name the same way they are, and the one they want is in that lovely holding pattern where it will cost $250+ to renew.

I :h: Mondays.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

vibur posted:

Has anyone encountered any wireless KVM extenders that don't require a pre-existing network? To be clear, this is one computer that needs to be controlled from two locations.
If you're going wireless can you not just replace the PS/2 keyboards/mice with wireless versions and eliminate the need for an extender altogether? There's some Logitech wireless devices that support up to 5 keyboards/mice per PC, we have a setup with a pair of keyboards for one of our special snowflake users who needs a stand-up desk and a sit-down desk on opposite sides of her cube.

She originally wanted wireless left-handed trackballs to go with it, but thankfully as far as I could tell those don't exist. At least not ones by Logitech that'll work with their wireless system.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pr0digal posted:

I was getting this today
We have , I believe a 10 user licence
If we go over that number you get that message
There are 17 users
I think everyone has NAV open
To check thing
Some people leave it open when they shutdown remote desk top which holds a licemcr
See if you close NAV on other computers, if the error goes away
When I get back my main Admin computer I will quit NAV on every computer I can get to to tonight and test

Dear God, that reminds me so much of my old boss.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Dear God, that reminds me so much of my old boss.

The fact that so much faith is put in this MSP really concerns me. Our COO had to flat out tell the office manager at the parent company (who yields far too much power) to actually listen to what I have to say. Until that I just got ignored or steamrolled.

Especially blind faith in their network engineer who has broken our network twice and is in NYC while we're in the DC area. I'm left totally in the dark about our network, I have to throw my hands up in the air if something goes wrong and I'm asked why. No access to the content filter and no SNMP/NetFlow monitoring so if there's an issue I won't know about it until it breaks.

At least I have a temperature monitor in the server room that I control :unsmith:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I am currently acting in a leadership role for my team, and I'm new to it. For the most part I have it under control, but I'm concerned about a member of my team who's based at a different site -- not his quality of work, but his responsiveness. I've had people complain to me that he never gets around to seeing them, even if he says he will, and I just had to head off someone grumbling to the department head, which is the last thing my team needs. Today I asked him to do something, he said he would, and he still hasn't done it.

The job is largely self-directed, as I'm sure many of you are used to. Any authority I have right now is acting only, although I am hoping to make it permanent soon. And in any case I don't want to be lovely to him. I know this thread is full to bursting with stories of lovely bosses. Any of you guys have advice on managing performance the right way?

Edit: presumably I need to have a chat with him -- just want to figure out how best to do it.

guppy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 15, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

guppy posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I am currently acting in a leadership role for my team, and I'm new to it. For the most part I have it under control, but I'm concerned about a member of my team who's based at a different site -- not his quality of work, but his responsiveness. I've had people complain to me that he never gets around to seeing them, even if he says he will, and I just had to head off someone grumbling to the department head, which is the last thing my team needs. Today I asked him to do something, he said he would, and he still hasn't done it.

The job is largely self-directed, as I'm sure many of you are used to. Any authority I have right now is acting only, although I am hoping to make it permanent soon. And in any case I don't want to be lovely to him. I know this thread is full to bursting with stories of lovely bosses. Any of you guys have advice on managing performance the right way?

Sounds like your employee is busy playing around. Sounds like the type that is goofing off on the net just long enough between doing his work to piss people off. The symptom is the slow response when the ailment is an employee that doesn't have anyone physically monitoring him making sure work is done first.

First thing you do is tell the employee whats wrong. If they don't correct you are stuck either setting up ways to monitor them (which everyone hates, even if it is effective) or moving on to worse things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give the guy enough rope to hang himself with if he's determined to do that. How is the work allocated? Do you have a ticketing system? Is it set up properly or is it generating thousands of email notifications that aren't needed so stuff's getting buried? Is there a clear way for staff to request this guys time, or is he planning the day out successfully and then a C-level is taking priority?

I work largely self-directed once my time with clients is booked in, and the amount of people who can't use the scheduler function in Outlook before sending meeting requests is genuinely surprising. Having to decline things with the reasons of "double booked" or "you forgot about the time it takes to move between these two places", or "no really I have to eat lunch at some point" takes up far too much of my day, and is a very quick way to get me irritated.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

Edit: presumably I need to have a chat with him -- just want to figure out how best to do it.

What do you use for a ticketing/issue management system?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd just talk to the dude before you start looking at metrics or kpi's

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

deimos posted:

That's not at all how thermocouples work btw, you're describing a thermistor.

You're right, that's what I get for typing that up at 2am.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
...from me, to myself. I set up a new DFS server last week, and over the weekend I started moving user data to it. Before I started the robocopy, I removed all the test folders. I forgot my actual user folder was in there too. And I don't have backups set up yet because I didn't have anything set up.

All my documentation :cry:
I have older stuff from about 2 weeks back but still. I feel like a fool.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mrit posted:

Just about every Ricoh copier that starts with 'MP' or 'MPC' has regular or easily obtainable beta firmware to support SMB 3.0.

After the thing above about Doom, all I could think was "Super Mario Bros 3"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mrit posted:

This one was under a lease contract so all maintenance was to be handled by the tech assigned from Ricoh. I even looked up the issue on the site and the instruction there was that the firmware was available, just call and arrange for a tech to come and apply it (no direct download, and I wasn't about to try and have something go wrong and brick a large copier). When I spoke to them it was like I was speaking another language and they told me to try resetting the passwords etc. But like I said in less than two weeks after deploying the 2012R2 server they replaced the printer with an updated model with the latest firmware.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Knormal posted:

If you're going wireless can you not just replace the PS/2 keyboards/mice with wireless versions and eliminate the need for an extender altogether? There's some Logitech wireless devices that support up to 5 keyboards/mice per PC, we have a setup with a pair of keyboards for one of our special snowflake users who needs a stand-up desk and a sit-down desk on opposite sides of her cube.

She originally wanted wireless left-handed trackballs to go with it, but thankfully as far as I could tell those don't exist. At least not ones by Logitech that'll work with their wireless system.
I guess I should have mentioned - we're talking about two stations separated by around 55 feet of vertical distance. What makes all this even worse is the keyboards/mice involved are all USB with PS/2 adaptors.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Question for any of you managing Chrome.

How the he'll do you get an 'official' offline installer for an older version? I need to deploy v35 to a set of vms and I cannot find a link that is not a third party url.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This might not be what you're looking for but this is a great place to find old versions of software.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/google-chrome/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Regardless of where you get an older version offline-installer from, you should be able to verify the signature of the installer/installed files that they are in fact from Google.

• Locked thread