Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SynthOrange posted:

Stumbled across another wonder of open cg marketplaces. :allears:

That's "mid evil" alright.

Wait... does the 66% after the price mean it's on sale for 66% off? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Do people make money out of assets like that? Or actual good assets?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cyne posted:

That's "mid evil" alright.

Wait... does the 66% after the price mean it's on sale for 66% off? :psyduck:

On the page, it actually says:

$3
$7 (-66%)

:iiam:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SynthOrange posted:

On the page, it actually says:

$3
$7 (-66%)

:iiam:

I love this guy.

As for making money selling models, I imagine you could make a pretty decent business on Turbosquid or similar but you'd really need to be at the top of your game to cut through all the poo poo.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I got frustrated with a game prototype I was making, having to source models. So I've spent some time learning about low poly modelling and UV texturing in 3dsMax. Playing with some toony proportions here.

Character Series (WIP) by cYnborg

Read through the previous posts and saw the photogrammetry examples. Took some photos of a plaster skull with my phone... I'm a bit creeped out at how easy it is.

Skull photogrammetry

Doesn't look like much, but it's a very close reproduction of the object. Cleaned up in max and mudbox, previewed in mudbox.

cYn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 9, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I figured out my FumeFX problem. I had inadvertently installed the optional Thinking Particles module.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Don't bother - just include your exteriors and show an interest in broadening your skill set in your cover letter. Be honest & upfront, and actually write a cover letter expressing an interest in working/having a career there.
Trying to bang out your first internal in 2 weeks is just going to make you look worse in the long run, every one you do early on will be leaps beyond the one before it. (they know this)

basically just go for it :)

I'm quite glad I followed your advice (thank you), I got an interview! I didn't lie about any software knowledge which was a good move because they're going to do a long round of testing on what I did claim to know--3ds max, vray and photoshop. I use those programs every day and feel quite confident, but obviously I'm afraid of my blind spots. I plan to go through Viscorbel's exterior lesson, but I was wondering, have you done such skill tests for your interviewees? Should I memorize how to nail a good V-ray lighting setup & material, how to composite render elements, or...?

Hernando fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 13, 2014

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I've done some free 3D/animation work for a pretty cool organization (trying to build a spacecraft & land on the moon, see my other posts in this thread). They'd pay me if they had the extra funds, but right now any money goes toward the engineering effort. I'm happy to do it free since I'm very much a beginner and I love the mission.

Penn State University, where this is all taking place, has a public media arm that's doing, among other things, a documentary on the mission as it progresses (currently filming). I've spoken with the producer of the doc about doing graphics and animation for them too. They like the idea, and have asked me about getting the rights to some previous work I did for the team, as well as asking about my rate for creating new stuff. Obviously I'm thrilled at the prospect of getting paid to do what I would do anyway, but I've never been in this position before. The doc will be released in eight parts over the next ~24 months as a web series. Each part will be 8-10 minutes long, and probably include beetween 30s and 2 minutes of animation (totally guessing there).

How do I charge for this? I'd be doing all the modeling, texturing, lighting, animation, composting, and post processing. It'll be spacecraft in space (and/or infographic style motion graphics), so no characters or lip-synching or fur simulation or anything "hard." I don't want to low-ball myself out of the gate, but I don't know what's reasonable. There are several people working full time on this documentary, so from just a salary standpoint it's a multiple six figure venture. Help!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I've done some free 3D/animation work for a pretty cool organization (trying to build a spacecraft & land on the moon, see my other posts in this thread). They'd pay me if they had the extra funds, but right now any money goes toward the engineering effort. I'm happy to do it free since I'm very much a beginner and I love the mission.

Penn State University, where this is all taking place, has a public media arm that's doing, among other things, a documentary on the mission as it progresses (currently filming). I've spoken with the producer of the doc about doing graphics and animation for them too. They like the idea, and have asked me about getting the rights to some previous work I did for the team, as well as asking about my rate for creating new stuff. Obviously I'm thrilled at the prospect of getting paid to do what I would do anyway, but I've never been in this position before. The doc will be released in eight parts over the next ~24 months as a web series. Each part will be 8-10 minutes long, and probably include beetween 30s and 2 minutes of animation (totally guessing there).

How do I charge for this? I'd be doing all the modeling, texturing, lighting, animation, composting, and post processing. It'll be spacecraft in space (and/or infographic style motion graphics), so no characters or lip-synching or fur simulation or anything "hard." I don't want to low-ball myself out of the gate, but I don't know what's reasonable. There are several people working full time on this documentary, so from just a salary standpoint it's a multiple six figure venture. Help!

Figure out how long it'll take you. Then pick a suitable hourly/daily rate.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Well, I don't know how long it'll take. Each episode will probably have pretty different requirements (that can't be known now), and they'll be made over the next two years. Obviously I'll get as much info as I can about the scope of what they're going for, but it'll still only be a rough idea.

And even if I did know exactly what they wanted, I wouldn't be able to estimate how long it'll take me to do. I just haven't had enough experience. If I had to pick a rate, I'd say $50 per hour. I know that's towards the low end, but is it absurdly low?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hernando posted:

Should I memorize how to nail a good V-ray lighting setup & material, how to composite render elements, or...?

Nope!

You should learn it and read up on those things, but don't go into an interview with something you memorized yesterday and act like it's something you know in depth. Any holes will make it seem like you think you're better than you actually are, which is like the worst possible trait to have.
However in the interview you should say that this is something you've started learning on a deeper level recently, you're familiar with the process but well aware you have more learning to do. excited about getting good at it etc. modesty and a willingness to learn will take you very far. You want to get as good as you can, and working in an environment like that is what's going to get you there - there's no need to pretend otherwise.

Nice work on the interview :)
We actually dont do art tests here - we just ask a ton of questions about their portfolio work. nobody does their best work when rushing it in 3 days and you can spot bullshit a mile off when you start asking people not how they did something, but how they arrived at the decision to do it that way.

e: I was actually talking to our ceo about this the other day - in that nearly every piece of advice ever written about getting a job is pretty much the opposite of how to actually get a job in the cg industry. they're all about lying a little, talking big and painting yourself as someone who is like the best it is possible to be, whereas any of that in CG will get you shown the door immediately. Anyone who's been in this industry longer than a few years knows that the more you learn, the more you realize you have left to learn. You're never 'done', you just get forever worse off (but your work does get better!) :)

I have been playing with phoenix a lot recently. i'm making a video for one of my tracks, it's dark brooding techno so I figured slow moving fluids crawling across the frame would look good.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 13, 2014

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Figure out how long it'll take you. Then pick a suitable hourly/daily rate.

As a PSU alumnus and former summer research assistant for the Architecture department, I can second this as the best option and the one that would most likely end up happening. They did switch to a lump sum payment for me halfway through the summer due to department budgeting, but the amounts ended up the same based on the hours I projected. Make sure you keep a timesheet listing what you worked on (they'll want to see one periodically) and try to get an idea of how many hours you'll need for your work as soon as you can.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

e: I was actually talking to our ceo about this the other day - in that nearly every piece of advice ever written about getting a job is pretty much the opposite of how to actually get a job in the cg industry. they're all about lying a little, talking big and painting yourself as someone who is like the best it is possible to be, whereas any of that in CG will get you shown the door immediately. Anyone who's been in this industry longer than a few years knows that the more you learn, the more you realize you have left to learn.

This is good to know. Relatives and friends are always telling me to talk myself up, act as if I know everything about everything in interviews, and use lots of buzzwords like "touching base" and "actionable" because that's how they got their jobs. It's good to know that stuff doesn't work in the CG industry, because I'd hate to work in an industry that shallow.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the film industry studios never release any wip or turntable stuff for artists to use in their reels so everyone's reels are full of finished shots and they can misrepresent how much responsibility they had for those shots. The same studio that gets burnt by this will then perpetuate it by not releasing useful stuff to artists. It's not really a total meritocracy and bullshit can still get you by to some degree, particularly as vfx houses get desperate because of stupid deadlines and artists bounce around a bit.

Haha, I'm so bitter about the film business, that didn't take long.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Makes me glad game devs get to do art dumps occasionally :D

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Our industries have their own methods of being shallow and fake, don't worry. After all, you're talking about the industry who's leading company heads were recently found to have collaborated to form a wage fixing cartel.

mutata fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 14, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wow, creating and especially lighting fur is a goddamn nightmare. Anybody got some pointers or good tutorials they can link? I kinda got the fuzz to the point I want it, but it still ends up patchy and way too dark no matter what I try and it takes forever to render just to find out I hosed up again.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Nope!

You should learn it and read up on those things, but don't go into an interview with something you memorized yesterday and act like it's something you know in depth. Any holes will make it seem like you think you're better than you actually are, which is like the worst possible trait to have.
However in the interview you should say that this is something you've started learning on a deeper level recently, you're familiar with the process but well aware you have more learning to do. excited about getting good at it etc. modesty and a willingness to learn will take you very far. You want to get as good as you can, and working in an environment like that is what's going to get you there - there's no need to pretend otherwise.

Nice work on the interview :)
We actually dont do art tests here - we just ask a ton of questions about their portfolio work. nobody does their best work when rushing it in 3 days and you can spot bullshit a mile off when you start asking people not how they did something, but how they arrived at the decision to do it that way.

e: I was actually talking to our ceo about this the other day - in that nearly every piece of advice ever written about getting a job is pretty much the opposite of how to actually get a job in the cg industry. they're all about lying a little, talking big and painting yourself as someone who is like the best it is possible to be, whereas any of that in CG will get you shown the door immediately. Anyone who's been in this industry longer than a few years knows that the more you learn, the more you realize you have left to learn. You're never 'done', you just get forever worse off (but your work does get better!) :)

I have been playing with phoenix a lot recently. i'm making a video for one of my tracks, it's dark brooding techno so I figured slow moving fluids crawling across the frame would look good.

It's funny, that's exactly what I was trying to do and it was really overwhelming, since I keep finding new stuff and I don't know how to integrate it without seeming like I'm new to the program. The fact that I don't have to behave like a megalomaniac is quite a relief, I'm normally embarrassed by my cover letter + resume for that reason but this time I cut out the boastful and smug passages (as much as possible), and apparently it was appreciated. I'm not sure I understand the distinction between how someone did something and how they arrived at the decision to go about it, though--are you talking about design decisions that are haphazard? For example, someone threw some interior together with a bunch of random elements, and they can explain how they modelled and lit it, but they can't explain why they chose one particular style of furniture + there wasn't any new technical ground being explored, nor was it inspired by some image... etc? Also do you have a soundcloud with your tracks?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
With the how/why I meant that we look for answers like 'and then I lit like this because I was aiming for this feel, and I took inspiration from, etc. Being told they took it in one direction and changed it half way through for the sake of a better image is a big plus too.
Just something to show that decisions were well considered. Not a hard & fast rule but its more useful for a long term hire than a rushed art test.

soundcloud/downpour :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 14, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think it turned out okay, all things considered. Or maybe I turned Max into a muppet, I'm not sure.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

With the how/why I meant that we look for answers like 'and then I lit like this because I was aiming for this feel, and I took inspiration from, etc. Being told they took it in one direction and changed it half way through for the sake of a better image is a big plus too.
Just something to show that decisions were well considered. Not a hard & fast rule but its more useful for a long term hire than a rushed art test.

Your company definitely sounds like the kind of place I'd like to work. Maybe I'll work more on Arch Viz stuff in the future if animation/rigging doesn't work out.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SplitSoul posted:

I think it turned out okay, all things considered. Or maybe I turned Max into a muppet, I'm not sure.

That makes me want a real Max plushie.

It's probably not what you intended but I think he looks adorable. :allears:

realtalk: I think the problem is you're trying to save render time by making less (but thicker) hairs. If you want him more genuine rabbit like, you'll have to double the number of hairs and halve their thickness (at least that much), which will probably quadruple your render time. :negative:

Also not sure if it's an aesthetic choice or not but the hairs shouldn't be so randomly haywire. Unless it just got comically shocked by an electrical outlet or something.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KiddieGrinder posted:

That makes me want a real Max plushie.

It's probably not what you intended but I think he looks adorable. :allears:

realtalk: I think the problem is you're trying to save render time by making less (but thicker) hairs. If you want him more genuine rabbit like, you'll have to double the number of hairs and halve their thickness (at least that much), which will probably quadruple your render time. :negative:

Also not sure if it's an aesthetic choice or not but the hairs shouldn't be so randomly haywire. Unless it just got comically shocked by an electrical outlet or something.

Yeah, I tried playing with the settings a lot, but I found that I'd either get bald patches or gently caress up my lighting, not to mention it taking an hour to render a 640x480 image (this took only 10 minutes at 720p). My other big headache was the hair growing through stuff, but I guess that boils down to my not yet fully understanding all the modelling basics.

The shagginess was fully intentional, though. Max seen some poo poo.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
New exterior! Actually am kind of proud of this one, only took me 3 days. :downs:

And yes, the talk about job interviews and CV's being the opposite of normal job interviews is so true. All my friends keep bitching about needing a diploma/saucing up your CV, or call me a dumbass when I say my portfolio is everything. They just don't understand, man. :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

International Log posted:

New exterior! Actually am kind of proud of this one, only took me 3 days. :downs:

And yes, the talk about job interviews and CV's being the opposite of normal job interviews is so true. All my friends keep bitching about needing a diploma/saucing up your CV, or call me a dumbass when I say my portfolio is everything. They just don't understand, man. :colbert:

Scrolling up and down that image makes me feel....strange. :geno:

It looks nice though, only issue I have is there seems to be a lot of spotlights facing the building, but no actual lights visible on the ground. It's most obvious on the wall on the left closest to camera.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Hi folks,

Is there a way in Mudbox to import an image as reference but have it move as if an object in the scene?

Whenever I move or rotate the scene the reference image stays static.

Many thanks.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe if you affix the image to a separate camera. Then in your main camera it should stay static. I'm not too familiar with image planes in Mudbox but that's how it works in Maya.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get back into learning 3DS Max and I've stumbled into a problem with how I'm doing textures that I'm not sure what to do with.

I tried mapping this 8k image onto a geosphere and no matter how much I try to filter it in the program it ends up doing stuff like this. I'm clearly making some really obvious mistake but I feel like I've tried everything. The texture stretches in weird ways, basically.

SplitSoul posted:

This looks bloody fantastic. What's it for again?

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 16, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hbomberguy posted:

This looks bloody fantastic. What's it for again?

Wow, thanks! It's just something I did for fun to try to figure out the H&F modifier, my experience with 3DSMax is pretty limited. If you're not familiar with the character, he's part of this crime-fighting duo.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another failed scan.

Lessons here:

Don't assume more pics will make up for lack of DSLR.
Don't try scanning reflective surfaces unless you can spray them down with something to make them more matte.

Also . . . choppers have a lot of effin parts!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Bass i've worked on for the ol' folio. The lowpoly is around 8500 triangles. All textures are procedural except the Fender decal on the headstock.

What do you guys think?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get back into learning 3DS Max and I've stumbled into a problem with how I'm doing textures that I'm not sure what to do with.

I tried mapping this 8k image onto a geosphere and no matter how much I try to filter it in the program it ends up doing stuff like this. I'm clearly making some really obvious mistake but I feel like I've tried everything. The texture stretches in weird ways, basically.

Looks like you haven't got your geosphere unwrapped properly. Spheres are a pain; polar distortion can be tricky to adjust for, but from the looks of that render your issue isn't even polar distortion. Can we see the UVs?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I'm no expert but that looks great. It looks slightly cartoonish rather than completely 'realistic', which I assume is part of the style you're going for.

SplitSoul posted:

Wow, thanks! It's just something I did for fun to try to figure out the H&F modifier, my experience with 3DSMax is pretty limited. If you're not familiar with the character, he's part of this crime-fighting duo.

Yeah, I know those guys. Never played any of their games, though!

EDIT:
Oh poo poo. The UVS. The tutorials I've been looking at seemed like they could just drag-and-drop the textures and have them work, so I didn't even think to set those up. I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

With the addition of a really simple basic UVW map (just default spherical one, with 'real world map size' unticked) the whole thing is fine. A weird spot was grey but ticking 'tile' in the texture's material editor fixed it. Thanks a lot for putting me on the right track. Now to make the thing actually look decent! I'll post the finished thing here when I get done with it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Hbomberguy posted:

With the addition of a really simple basic UVW map (just default spherical one, with 'real world map size' unticked) the whole thing is fine. A weird spot was grey but ticking 'tile' in the texture's material editor fixed it. Thanks a lot for putting me on the right track. Now to make the thing actually look decent! I'll post the finished thing here when I get done with it.

A good rule of thumb is to never assume you have usable UVs even on standard primitive geometry. Simple UV projections do quick work of most of those little issues, but it's something to keep in mind.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

You could also try using a spherised cube instead.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Cyne posted:

On that note, for anyone wanting to get into Houdini, I recently came across Rohan Dalvi who has a couple paid courses that look pretty slick. Worth checking out!

I went in on the Tea and Cookies one, and if you're new to Houdini like I am, I think it's worth it- I'm finishing the Modeling Part, and he covers a decent range of methods; he uses different methods to solve modeling different pieces of geometry, so you get exposed to a variety of operators and don't just reuse method in making every object. It's a nice change of pace from the more linear, straightforward nature of Sidefx's official training material.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Cyne posted:

A good rule of thumb is to never assume you have usable UVs even on standard primitive geometry. Simple UV projections do quick work of most of those little issues, but it's something to keep in mind.

cYn posted:

You could also try using a spherised cube instead.

Two fantastic pieces of advice. I know it's a really small thing but I think I actually learned something from this. Here's a WIP of the thing I'm trying to make (fake maltesars commercial, for portfolio) :

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Listerine posted:

I went in on the Tea and Cookies one, and if you're new to Houdini like I am, I think it's worth it- I'm finishing the Modeling Part, and he covers a decent range of methods; he uses different methods to solve modeling different pieces of geometry, so you get exposed to a variety of operators and don't just reuse method in making every object. It's a nice change of pace from the more linear, straightforward nature of Sidefx's official training material.

Yeah, I feel like there's somewhat of a gap in the Houdini material out there for more project-oriented training like this. Seems like that course fills a good niche for people coming from a 3D background but wanting to see how everything comes together for a complete project in Houdini. Glad you found it useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea the side fx first steps tutorials are good but they don't really explain the "why" of things. I also find he sidetracks with poo poo a lot, like in the first steps series one second you are doing rop exports and suddenly he sidetracks with creating scene files and operators from the commandline before launching houdini and poo poo. It is really cool stuff but way too complex and power user like for a beginners tutorial. CMI VFX has a bunch of good ones too.