Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
What a shittastic derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine was relevant because it's what Ms. Marvel says when she uses her power.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Grendels Dad posted:

Technically every single word in English is either from French (29%), Latin (29%), Germanic languages (26%), Greek (6%) or other languages (6%). Also some proper nouns, I guess. I'm sorry to tell you this, but technically there is no English language, just leftovers from whoever was occupying England at any given moment throughout history.

"I was making a joke" are all not words in the English language too.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

But yes Marvel have already distilled their crossover mechanisations to their films. The individual films build up a big event and then the event film basically wipes the slate clean and just re-establishes things from the beginning but now all your favourite characters are here again.
That's an oversimplification to the point of meaninglessness.

Cap 2 did a hell of a lot more slate wiping than Avengers did and none of the plot from Thor 2 or GotG is likely to have any impact until Avengers 3.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'd actually argue that the weird thing is that The Avengers didn't really affect the other films much. Black Widow knows Cap now and Loki is captured instead of missing, but other than that, Cap 2 could have come out without the Avengers and Thor 2 could have immediately followed Thor. I am remembering less about Iron Man 3 but I don't recall the events in New York effecting that much.

Hell, Bruce Banner hasn't been anything but a cameo since.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

theflyingorc posted:

I'd actually argue that the weird thing is that The Avengers didn't really affect the other films much. Black Widow knows Cap now and Loki is captured instead of missing, but other than that, Cap 2 could have come out without the Avengers and Thor 2 could have immediately followed Thor. I am remembering less about Iron Man 3 but I don't recall the events in New York effecting that much.

Hell, Bruce Banner hasn't been anything but a cameo since.

The whole plot of 3 hinged on Avengers as after the invasion Tony was busy making suits due to PTSD.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

The whole plot of 3 hinged on Avengers as after the invasion Tony was busy making suits due to PTSD.

Alright, I guess that's in there, but they pretty easily could have come up with a thousand reasons for "Tony is building suits all the time now".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Cap 2 works ok if you haven't seen/don't remember much of Avengers, so long as you're willing to roll with the stuff they don't explicitly explain. SHIELD is still a covert paramilitary organization vulnerable to threats from within, which is a common enough thing in fiction that you can appreciate the political thriller plot. And three horribly beweaponed flying battleships are still a credible threat even if you haven't seen the original Helicarrier.

I did like the joke about Tony sharing repulsorlift technology with SHIELD after getting "an up close and personal" look at the Helicarrier turbines.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

According to the internet Guardians made $588,757,587 worldwide and Avengers made $1,518,594,910 so there will be a lot of people that don't watch both.

But yes Marvel have already distilled their crossover mechanisations to their films. The individual films build up a big event and then the event film basically wipes the slate clean and just re-establishes things from the beginning but now all your favourite characters are here again.

I don't know, I think Cap 2 did a lot more soft reconning than Avengers did.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know, I think Cap 2 did a lot more soft reconning than Avengers did.

My favorite dumb thing in Cap 2 is the guy just walking up and whispering "Hail Hydra" to the other guy in public, surrounded by a bunch of people, and FOR NO REASON. He's just SO EXCITED to be in their secret little Nazi club!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

theflyingorc posted:

My favorite dumb thing in Cap 2 is the guy just walking up and whispering "Hail Hydra" to the other guy in public, surrounded by a bunch of people, and FOR NO REASON. He's just SO EXCITED to be in their secret little Nazi club!

Well, that's what they say to each other. Plus that was right around the time of them starting to rise up. So it's a little "Hey man. What's up? Are we going to take over the world? Hell yeah bro. You want to get a beer later?"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CelticPredator posted:

Well, that's what they say to each other. Plus that was right around the time of them starting to rise up. So it's a little "Hey man. What's up? Are we going to take over the world? Hell yeah bro. You want to get a beer later?"

He's just obviously risking their entire 7-decade conspiracy where the Marvel equivalent of the DoD has been secretly under the control of Nazis.

I like to imagine that maybe he's REALLY new to Hydra, like maybe it's Hydra Rush week, and he just wants all the other Nazis to know that he's a really cool guy and they should let him in.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's not really dumb. When the murderous insurgency is about to start up, you want to make sure said murderous insurgency knows no to shoot you.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

theflyingorc posted:

He's just obviously risking their entire 7-decade conspiracy where the Marvel equivalent of the DoD has been secretly under the control of Nazis.

I like to imagine that maybe he's REALLY new to Hydra, like maybe it's Hydra Rush week, and he just wants all the other Nazis to know that he's a really cool guy and they should let him in.

They should've had a really cool secret pass phrase like "Do you have stairs in your house?"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SirDan3k posted:

That's not really dumb. When the murderous insurgency is about to start up, you want to make sure said murderous insurgency knows no to shoot you.

Well, now I'm just imagining that Hydra agents don't know each other, so they end up with a lot of evil plots where they're at cross purposes.

"ZIS COMPANY NOW BELONGS...TO HYDRA!!!!"

"Dude, don't you read the E-mails? This company was founded by Hydra!"

"I heff wasted a lot of mein time."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Well, now I'm just imagining that Hydra agents don't know each other, so they end up with a lot of evil plots where they're at cross purposes.

I really really like this idea. I'm going to be thinking about this idea and giggling for the rest of the weekend.

This was a good post and has improved the thread in light of whatever was going on with that derail about fiction and English.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I would be stunned if this didn't happen all the time with actual secret agencies, evil and "good" alike.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Was it Sitwell and that senator from Iron Man 2 who wanted Stark to share technology with the military?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The MSJ posted:

Was it Sitwell and that senator from Iron Man 2 who wanted Stark to share technology with the military?
The Senator did in IM2, I don't remember if Sitwell was even in that movie.

also SHIELD dug up the old Hydra weapons seen in Cap 1 that show up in some crates in Avengers. It seems pretty clear that at the beginning of the Avengers, HYDRA was ready to use the Tesseract energy to reactivate those weapons/create better ones until Loki shows up and ruins everything.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The MSJ posted:

"That senator"? It's Garry Shandling, if The Larry Sanders Show was still on there'd be an entire arc where Larry or Hank was obsessing about getting into Hydra, with Hank blowing it in the end when he HAIL HYDRA-ed during the opening monologue.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zachack posted:

"That senator"? It's Garry Shandling, if The Larry Sanders Show was still on there'd be an entire arc where Larry or Hank was obsessing about getting into Hydra, with Hank blowing it in the end when he HAIL HYDRA-ed during the opening monologue.

I want a Marvel one-shot starring "Heil Now" Hank Kingsley so bad that I can't stand it, look what you've done to me.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Would you believe The Punisher was in Captain America 2?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=107579

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Would you believe The Punisher was in Captain America 2?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=107579

I would say pegging that vague description as Punisher is a bit of a leap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is some clickbait bs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're clearly describing Liam Neeson.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Deadpool posted:

I would say pegging that vague description as Punisher is a bit of a leap.

Yea it's obviously Wolverine

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was US 1!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

NienNunb posted:

Yea it's obviously Wolverine

Look at that color scheme of that truck. It's obviously Sentry.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that's where my brain went from the description.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Aphrodite posted:

Suddenly I want a movie with Liam Neeson playing an older Frank Castle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not satisfied with just stealing Wonder Woman, now they're going after Ra's too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Suddenly I want a movie with Liam Neeson playing an older Frank Castle.

I'm sorry, that idea is already Taken.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Come on, Taken is clearly based on a retired Moon Knight.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I didn't see any faceless ghosts haunting Neeson in Taken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Well duh, they're ghosts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Well duh, they're ghosts.

They saw what he did to those sex traffickers and went "gently caress this, let's go haunt Ben Stiller"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kingtheninja posted:

Liam Neeson is haunted by one ghost in every movie he makes, we just can't see her.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Slugworth posted:

Liam Neeson is haunted by one ghost in every movie he makes, we just can't see her.

This is very true and really :smith:

Anyway, Neeson as Doctor Strange?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Slugworth posted:

Man I just got really sad. He has said in interviews that the reason he has taken all these crazy roles and is always trying to work is so he doesn't have to be alone since she died. :(

Edit: I think they were talking about that in the tv show thread.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread